Solid yet unspectacular Premier League players

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Chelsea had a few around the time they were taken over - zenden, geremi, malchiot. All very decent players
All three played for massive clubs and in Champions League finals so I don’t think they count.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Pienaar, Osman, Darren Bent, Hangeland, Downing, Lescott, Distin, Konchesky. Most of Moyes' Everton.

Fellaini? :nervous:
Distin was a brilliant centre back, I never understood why a big club (well, Arsenal when they were signing trash like Silvestre, Squillaci and having to play Senderos and Djourou) didn’t pick him up.

Wittmann45

I always thought Wes Hoolahan was a solid and real clever player that just wasn't good enough for a top side. Ditto Tuncay - he was a joy to watch at times.
Leon Britton
Emanuel Pogatetz
Lee Cattermole
Chris Kirkland - good keeper, I seem to remember him always wearing a hat for some reason
Wilson Palacios - He and Valencia were the stars of a good Wigan side under Bruce. I thought he could make the step up but his spell at Tottenham kind of showed Wigan was probably his level
Titus Bramble - always prone to mistakes, but he was a pretty consistent figure in the Premier League for a decade, also, he was better than Zidane
Paul Scharner
Marcus Hahnemann
Kevin Doyle - good player for both Reading and Wolves
Shane Long
Dave Kitson
Gylfi Sigurdsson - he is probably too good to be considered only solid, but not spectacular, but he was great with Swansea, okay with Spurs without really solidifying himself in his favoured position and he seems to be doing well at Everton. He is a versatile player and prone to score the odd great goal too

Last edited:

Oranges038

Think your bar’s a bit high here. On Southgate both Manchester United and Deportivo tried to sign him from Villa.

Yeah but he only ever played only for Palace, Boro and villa. He's exactly this type of player, solid for mid table teams but not quite good enough to move up to the very top.

Hughes35

Noble, Distin, Cattermole, Nolan, Kevin Davies, Barry, Milner, Hangeland& Shawcross are the first ones that come in to my head.

Maybe Crouch also if he's not too good?

dcrompton

Lescott left to form a great partnership with Kompany to win the league title in the same team that Gareth Barry played for.
Arteta after his mobility was gone due to a cruciate injury was still good enough to go and captain a top four team .
The Baines shouts are just insulting, he was probably the best left back in the league for a good two seasons and turned down Bayern Munich.
So you're agreeing with me these are solid premier league players. Don't think you could argue any are spectacular though

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
So you're agreeing with me these are solid premier league players. Don't think you could argue any are spectacular though
I get what your saying but the original post did say players who wasn't good enough for the top teams when some of the ones you listed played big roles in title winning teams. I must admit I only seen Barry on his way down but he was a great player even in his old and his appearance record is a fantastic achievement.

I would certainly say Baines is quite spectacular as far as left backs go. The only defender in Premier league history to register over 50 assists, was having seasons where he created more chances than any other player in the league and was regularly capable of Magic like the below :

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah but he only ever played only for Palace, Boro and villa. He's exactly this type of player, solid for mid table teams but not quite good enough to move up to the very top.
True and in style he is very much 'solid and unspectactular'. But he got shafted out of a move by Doug Ellis at Villa. At that time Manchester United and Deportivo were the best teams in England and Spain respectively. He wasn't in the absolute top tier at the time - Stam, Desailly, Campbell, Rio - but he was in the next notch down who, in my view, are good enough to be challenging for titles.

poleglass red

Tugay who I feel his ability is much higher than solid but I mention him as he only played for Blackburn in the league. Had he possibly arrived earlier than 31 in PL I genuinely feel he could have played for one of the top teams. Even in his mid 30's his quality shone through

Jezpeza

All three played for massive clubs and in Champions League finals so I don’t think they count.
Didnt know they had to be from smal clubs.

But if i remember correctly, melchiot was sold to birmingham. Geremi went to newcastle. Barely played for mourinho. Chelsea werent that good before then.
zenden went to liverpool and played an hour of the cup final. Then ended up at boro and sunderland

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Tugay who I feel his ability is much higher than solid but I mention him as he only played for Blackburn in the league. Had he possibly arrived earlier than 31 in PL I genuinely feel he could have played for one of the top teams. Even in his mid 30's his quality shone through
Yeah class player. Nowadays I don't think he spends almost his whole career at Galatasaray and then latterly at Rangers. To be fair both teams were big clubs and regular Champions League participants in the 1990s. But coming through now he moves earlier to a top team in one of the big leagues and he probably ends up being a bit too good for this thread.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Didnt know they had to be from smal clubs.

But if i remember correctly, melchiot was sold to birmingham. Geremi went to newcastle. Barely played for mourinho. Chelsea werent that good before then.
zenden went to liverpool and played an hour of the cup final. Then ended up at boro and sunderland
Before Chelsea, Melchiot was at Ajax when they were one of the best teams in Europe. Geremi was a semi regular for Real Madrid between 2000 and 2002. Zenden played almost a hundred times for Barcelona and has over 50 caps for the Netherlands during a period when they were a top side.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Shaw’s becoming one. Rarely puts a foot wrong and offers enough without amazing us. Doesn’t regularly put in a beauty of a cross or have a class shot on goal.

Jezpeza

Before Chelsea, Melchiot was at Ajax when they were one of the best teams in Europe. Geremi was a semi regular for Real Madrid between 2000 and 2002. Zenden played almost a hundred times for Barcelona and has over 50 caps for the Netherlands during a period when they were a top side.
still not spectacular players. Solid nothing more. Geremi only played 45 games in 4 years, not even all as starter. I really dont think that qualifies as semi regular.

thepolice123

Center forwards

Kevin Davies
Troy Deeney
Darren Bent

Midfielders

Kevin Nolan
Mark Noble
Lee Cattermole

Defenders

Robert Huth
Hangelaad
Beardsley
Danny Mills

Bondi77

Tim Cahill
Mark viduka ( arguably good enough for top 4 team)
Thomas Graveson (not good enough for top 4 but good enough for Real)