Solid yet unspectacular Premier League players

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Players who 'does a job' year after year. Let's say it can be both past and present players, but they have to have made at least 100 PL appearences and not be quite good enough to play for a top side, so no boring Denis Irwin suggestions please, Irish.

Jeffrey Schlupp - 161 PL games. Can fill in all across the left flank for Palace. Solid enough defensively, chips in with a goal now and then. Premier League winner.

Ben Mee - 175 appearances. Invaluable organizer at the back for Burnley. M Keane and Tarkowski both became England internationals with him as the leading CB. The day Burnley lose him to age or injury might be the day they go crashing down into the Champo.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Oriel Romeu and James Ward Prowse are my usual my go to answers for this. Very solid Prem players... Though JWP has maybe put himself above that this season.

Marc Albrighton is another one. Just a sold prem winger who's reliable and will do a job.

Chipper

Adulterer.
These too good or do they fit the criteria?

Joleon Lescott, Gareth Southgate, Ugo Ehiogu, Dave Watson, Sylvain Distin.

Could do a whole list of central defenders like that. Sort of tier 2 club, fighting for Europe, certainly good, possibly an international but not quite a star kind of player. Stuck to Everton/Villa for now.

Chipper

Adulterer.
O'Shea, Brown, Butt, Phil Neville?

Edit: No didn't read the full OP at first before anyone asks! "Not good enough to play for a top side" so it rules them out. Mind you, solid players in lesser teams probably could be squaddies in better teams and vice versa much of the time. That lot certainly became the type of player we're talking about once they left United.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I mean this is Milner through and through. Is Wijnaldum an option for this list? He's been so solid for us for years but isn't a spectacular player.

diarm

Antonio is a great one at West Ham. Soucek looks like he'll be another.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Mark Schwarzer is in the top 10 list for PL appearances, won one League Cup and his biggest personal accolade at club level is Fulham player of the year which about as solid but unspectacular as it gets. Third most clean sheets in the PL also. Carved out a backup keeper niche for himself into his 40s for Chelsea and Leicester, both clubs won the league in seasons were he did not make a league appearance for them.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Moyes' Everton team pretty much emphasized this. A lot of grafters that complemented each other well. Tim Cahill, Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, Steven Pienaar, Andy Johnson, Leon Osman, Joseph Yobo, Sylvain Distin all spring to mind.

Matt Holland, Scott Dann, Damien Johnson, Brett Emerton, Matty Taylor, Lucas Neill, Kevin Davies, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Steed Malbranque, Simon Davies, Hermann Hreidarsson, Abdoulaye Faye...top of my head.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I always liked Yakubu. Solid goal scorer but not good enough for a top 4 team at the time

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Weirdly I always wonder what these types of players were like at school.

Sylar

I mean can we count Milner given he's won titles at two different clubs

Unless we don't count them as top clubs which I'm all for :)

dcrompton

You could rename the thread 'Everton players not good enough to step up to top-4'

------------------------Howard
Hibbert Stubbs Lescott Baines
Osman Barry Arteta Pienaar
-------------Cahill Ferguson

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Going by the state of last page and half of his thread, Eden Hazard.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Mark Schwarzer is in the top 10 list for PL appearances, won one League Cup and his biggest personal accolade at club level is Fulham player of the year which about as solid but unspectacular as it gets. Third most clean sheets in the PL also. Carved out a backup keeper niche for himself into his 40s for Chelsea and Leicester, both clubs won the league in seasons were he did not make a league appearance for them.
I thought he was pretty shit for us tbh, he was part of the reason our PL and CL bids derailed with his performances vs Sunderland and Leti.

Rossa

You could rename the thread 'Everton players not good enough to step up to top-4'

Hibbert! What a candidate! Did he score a goal or something like that in his PL career? Solid enough though.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Steven Davis, Nathan Redmond, Andros Townsend, Winston Reid, Steve Stone, Robbie Savage, Sebastian Larsson

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

:lol:

I was just thinking this description fits pretty much any player who played for Moyes, a couple of United players aside, but you wrote it better.

Piernaar was annoyingly good sometimes though.

Last edited:

fps

A lot of you are picking players who are far too good for this. I thought Steed Malbranque first up.

Francis Benali - more than 300 appearances for Southampton.

Kevin Davies

The vast majority of Everton players (as already discussed).

Oranges038

First names that came to me were Barry and Milner.

Currently - JWP, Mee, Bardsley, Noble, Coleman, Zaha, Dann and Cresswell.

Historically - Gary Speed, Batty, Les Ferdinand, Hangeland, Dempsey, Arteta, Cahill, Southgate, Shawcross, Distin, Southall. Anyone else who played enough at Everton under Moyes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Fair apart from Baines.