Solksjaer press conference - City in the League Cup

Initial quotes

Dante

Average bang

Solskjaer on Carabao Cup importance said:
It’s always a good question - how important is it and then I can ask very. The next game is always important, the semi-final is a chance to get to a final, next round and for this team it would be a very, very big step, getting hands on a trophy, developed a lot in last 12 months, since last semi, not just learning to win semis, we’ve earned the right to go all the way with performances, confident with form so no excuses.
Of course, you play football to win trophies, to get your hands on a trophy even though when you win you move onto the next one but it gives you hunger to win more, squad is focused, ready to give it a go and prepared well for this game.

Team news as two players ruled out vs City said:
We’re disappointed not having Edinson involved, he’s probably the only one and Phil Jones who’s been very out for a long time, the only two not available for selection, which is a good situation to be in.

Solskjaer on Fletcher's appointment said:
He’s got the Manchester United DNA and there was a spot open because Mark Dempsey has moved to the academy, we felt he was so valuable there, brilliant in the academy in helping out, when this opening came, Darren has been away from the club for a few years, doing coaching with the 16s and experience of being here through successful and difficult times felt right time. It’s important we bring ex-players that have been somewhere else, I’ve been somewhere else after working with Mike Phelan, Sir Alex and Carlos, different ideas and Fletch put his ideas and will improve us in the backroom staff.

Straight knockout vs City said:
You have two teams who wanna get to the final, we’ve had four days now after Villa so hopefully we’ve got more fresh legs, difficult season but we’ll benefit from rotations made, that’s gonna be important with having fresh legs, with City against Chelsea, the freshness and sharpness and intensity they had, quality, physically, intense games in the league this season and no surprise there because they had a few extra days to prepare. Two teams that wanna go through, last game showed two teams with respect for each other, they’re not as possession based against Chelsea, more counter-attacking, we’ve got to be aware of that as well as possession game.

Solskjaer thoughts on another national lockdown said:
It’s a hard and difficult situation for everyone, last year since March until now has been a testing time for everyone and we are privileged to play football under protocols, hopefully we can continue, mentally it would be a release to watch games in full lockdown again, hopefully we can continue, but we have to work hard to stay in guidelines and keep the show on the road.

Overcoming three semi-final defeats last year said:
When you get to a semi you’ve done a lot of good work to get to a semi-final and you play better and better opponent, we’ve improved immensely in a year since last semi when we were in Europe in August. For me, it’s a step closer to get to the final, developed a lot, easy to say have we learned but not about learned, it’s about fine margins in those semi-finals as well, when you win games of football you don’t think about it’s a semi-final or a normal game or a league game or a quarter-final, you just wanna win it.

Solskjaer on United's progression vs City said:
I’ve seen progress, sometimes the results don’t show the whole picture of the game, some of our counter-attacking goals and in the wins we’ve had have been brilliant, away in the league when we won we could have scored four or five in a 10 or 15 min period, a few of the counter-attacks were out of this world, but had less control of the ball.
The last game was more or 50-50, cagey game from both teams but I felt that was a progression having stayed more in the game.
You never know what kind of system he’s gonna come up with but you’ve got to defend really well against Man City, it’s hard to keep the ball in their half, gotta be brave compact, trust your players, play out of their press, they’re one of the quickest ones to put the counter pressure on. We’ve found that balance, didn’t have X factor last game, maybe because they were set up to counter-attack as well. Been some fascinating games and feel we’ve got closer and closer and results you can’t control.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

“Phil Jones has been very out for a long time”

:D
In mentioning Cavani and Jones in the same breath, is this Ole getting his excuses in early, or reminding others of the burden of having key players sidelined for such an important game :smirk:... master of the under statement is our Ole!

USREDEVIL

Sounds like a pretty good presser for Ole. Normally i wouldnt be too concerned with this cup but considering we've yet to hold up a trophy under Ole it's a chance to get over that hurdle.

Odin

In mentioning Cavani and Jones in the same breath, is this Ole getting his excuses in early, or reminding others of the burden of having key players sidelined for such an important game :smirk:... master of the under statement is our Ole!
Except he clearly stated there are no excuses, they are well prepared, only Cavani and Jones out is a good position to be in, and so forth... But you do your analysis.

tombombadil

I feel really sorry for Phil Jones. Far as I can tell, he's done nothing wrong. He's just unfortunately too injury prone. Now he's just the butt of jokes. I just hope the fans can show him a bit of love when he inevitably calls an end to his time here.

Shiva87

I feel really sorry for Phil Jones. Far as I can tell, he's done nothing wrong. He's just unfortunately too injury prone. Now he's just the butt of jokes. I just hope the fans can show him a bit of love when he inevitably calls an end to his time here.
Will be shocked if this happens. He has literally been a beneficiary of a managerial revolving door, who would have long been gone if we had some stability at the club. What makes it worse is that he is no where close to the team but keeps getting new contracts. Something is totally out of place here.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He was a good player and it's not his fault that we gave him another contract. It's a shame because his early days were quite good and if we had let him go 2-3 years ago, people would have appreciated him more.

tombombadil

Will be shocked if this happens. He has literally been a beneficiary of a managerial revolving door, who would have long been gone if we had some stability at the club. What makes it worse is that he is no where close to the team but keeps getting new contracts. Something is totally out of place here.
I'm really thinking this will be his last contract.

He was a good player and it's not his fault that we gave him another contract. It's a shame because his early days were quite good and if we had let him go 2-3 years ago, people would have appreciated him more.
Yeah. Gotta agree. I just hope he gets better soon and maybe can get fit enough for one last hurrah before moving on

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Had a decent partnership with Smalling under LVG. While it didn't last it was still good. Surprisingly he was only a sub in the FA cup final;LVG went with Rojo at LB and Blind at CB

Ole responds to Klopp's comments about us getting too many penalties

el3mel

Pretty good response this one I would say.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Great response and one that will rile up the dippers and Goofy even more.

Someone post the rest of the embargoed quotes too. Good comments regarding Donny settling in and Bailly grabbing his chance.

Mean Keane

I saw the video where he makes these comments. The tweets miss out on him starting his answer with 'And that's a fact? That's all I'm going to probably say on this, it's a fact' (with a cheeky grin on his face). What a legend.