Solksjaer press conference - City in the League Cup

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I feel really sorry for Phil Jones. Far as I can tell, he's done nothing wrong. He's just unfortunately too injury prone. Now he's just the butt of jokes. I just hope the fans can show him a bit of love when he inevitably calls an end to his time here.
There's nothing wrong with Sanchez either then. It's not his fault he's just shite when fit, and injured a lot. I hope everyone says nice thing about him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I feel really sorry for Phil Jones. Far as I can tell, he's done nothing wrong. He's just unfortunately too injury prone. Now he's just the butt of jokes. I just hope the fans can show him a bit of love when he inevitably calls an end to his time here.
Sorry? The guy has been stealing a living for years. He's either injured or he's playing shit.

RedDevil@84

Sorry? The guy has been stealing a living for years. He's either injured or he's playing shit.
Not his fault. If idiots keep giving him new contracts and lot of money, he would be a fool to say "No thanks!!"

Mr Smith

Had a decent partnership with Smalling under LVG. While it didn't last it was still good. Surprisingly he was only a sub in the FA cup final;LVG went with Rojo at LB and Blind at CB
I think you're misremembering a bit; Emailing had a partnership with Blind under LVG, they played together almost every game in 2015/16. Jones actually struck up a great partnership with Rojo in 2016/17 under Jose, when they put together a run of about 20 games and had the best defensive record in the league. Then Jones scored an own goal away to spurs and got injured, and it all went downhill from there.

Back on topic, good presser from Ole, quite bullish. I have high expectations for this game so I really hope I'm not building myself up for nothing...

Sylar

His comments about the penalties are great. Put the pressure back on the other way especially mentioning other managers trying to influence refs.

Denis' cuff

Not his fault. If idiots keep giving him new contracts and lot of money, he would be a fool to say "No thanks!!"
cant really argue with that. How would anyone with a sound mind repeatedly offer this guy lucrative contracts, when a mere glance at his history shows Djemba Djemba offered more. Hard to believe.

Great response from Ole, but I wish he would’ve pointed out how selective this sudden interest in penalty allocation has become. Nobody mentioned it when Liverpool were routinely getting them, way ahead of anyone else and nobody has mentioned that in the convenient timescale Klopp has selected, both City and Leicester are in front of us. That doesn’t get people excited though, does it? Amazing how penalty decisions have suddenly become big news. Players have become so used to fouling United players with impunity, with any sympathy for us dismissed because we have been too good for too long. Hopefully var, despite its faults, is highlighting stuff we previously just had to put up with and refs don’t get exposed to a grilling by Jamie fecking Redknapp (can you believe?) Maybe those on var duty will, eventually and it’ll be biz as usual. Safe to say, we would’ve had another treble in 08 if Portsmouth hadn’t got so lucky, to say nothing of Drogba 2 yard offside title clinching goal.... etc etc

fecking media... it not only runs football but the whole country

romufc

I have been very critical of Ole's dealings in the presser.

Recently, he has become alot more assured in his comments, which is good to see. He has dealt with the Donny question well, he dealt with Pogba really well and now he is putting the pressure back on the ref's without coming across like Jose or Klopp.

Ludens the Red

Did he make a "facth reference there". Hehe
Perfect response. ‘Fact’ reference, mocks Klopp for paying too much attention to us and puts the pressure back on refs by mentioning us not getting a pen against Chelsea after Lampards comments.

Fergie would be proud....

Real Name

Near perfect answers regarding Klopp and penalties.

Facht speech reference. Check.
Saying he doesn't care. Check.
Stating it's a way of influencing ref decisions. Check.

He's one of us.<3 :)

Maticmaker

Except he clearly stated there are no excuses, they are well prepared, only Cavani and Jones out is a good position to be in, and so forth... But you do your analysis.
It was an attempt at ironic humour ... but clearly it failed!! :)

kiristao

Did he make a "facth reference there". Hehe
That was brilliant response.
1. Made Klopp look like a fool
2. Countered the possibility of refs getting influenced by saying they get influenced by the comments
3. Made sure it was clear that we get fouled in the box and that is why we get penalties

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Poor bloke though. Must surely be struggling mentally.
I actually feel bad for Phil.

And before anyone of you says "he's rich". Just shut up. Money doesn't make you happy in the long term, it only makes the pursuit of happiness a lot easier. If money is a factor in which you decide you can treat people like garbage then take along look in the mirror and see what true trash look like.

I always felt quite awful about this segment from 2019

"Phil Jones 'rejected Manchester United testimonial' when he signed new deal as he feared, 'Apart from my mum and dad, who would turn up?'"

That's not saying something about Phil Jones. That's saying something about the fans of Manchester United. About how fickle and shitty a lot of us can apparently be.

Phil has spent 10 years at Manchester Untited. He's one of the last remaining players from the reign of Sir Alex along with DDG. Jones was also a key cog in the 17/18 defense when we took 2nd. The best finish in the Prem since SAF retired. He has 27 international caps for England and 165 for Manchester United. Jones has been part of a LOT of highs of this club in the past decade, and of course a lot of downs. He's not the best player that ever put on the jersey, but he has always remained professional during his years here.

Roy Keane wrote in his autobiography:

"But I think it's the tradition that makes it such a big day. You're thanking the fans and they're thanking you. It was a chance for me to say goodbye to the United fans - a huge incentive for me."

When the club offered the new deal the testimonial is part of the standard deal as a reward for having been at the club for 10 years. All players who play for a decade is offered one. It's a reward for long service.

Things like this makes me reflect on how people are quick to say "family" about Manchester United. How this club is different, the comraderie is ingrained in the foundations of the bedrock of Old Trafford. Fickle words that ring hollow when so many are willing to make a player of the club whose only crime is not being that great of a player. There's been no off-pitch antics, no scandals or drama. Just a long serving player with some funky face antics.

It makes me sad because the reason Phil must have come to the conclusion that he does not want what Roy Keane describes as a chance to say gooodbye to the United fans is quite simply because he knows what we the fans say about him.

We, or everyone who has spent some of their time online finding pleasure in talking down a player at length for a long time has achieved what you dreamt of: Discouraged one of our very own from the chance to say goodybe to the fans after serving the club for a decade.

Good job. Best fans in the world. Truly.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

And before anyone of you says "he's rich". Just shut up. Money doesn't make you happy in the long term, it only makes the pursuit of happiness a lot easier. If money is a factor in which you decide you can treat people like garbage then take along look in the mirror and see what true trash look like.

"Phil Jones 'rejected Manchester United testimonial' when he signed new deal as he feared, 'Apart from my mum and dad, who would turn up?'"

That's not saying something about Phil Jones. That's saying something about the fans of Manchester United. About how fickle and shitty a lot of us can apparently be.

Phil has spent 10 years at Manchester Untited. He's one of the last remaining players from the reign of Sir Alex along with DDG. Jones was also a key cog in the 17/18 defense when we took 2nd. The best finish in the Prem since SAF retired. He has 27 international caps for England and 165 for Manchester United. Jones has been part of a LOT of highs of this club in the past decade, and of course a lot of downs. He's not the best player that ever put on the jersey, but he has always remained professional during his years here.

"But I think it's the tradition that makes it such a big day. You're thanking the fans and they're thanking you. It was a chance for me to say goodbye to the United fans - a huge incentive for me."

When the club offered the new deal the testimonial is part of the standard deal as a reward for having been at the club for 10 years. All players who play for a decade is offered one. It's a reward for long service.

Things like this makes me reflect on how people are quick to say "family" about Manchester United. How this club is different, the comraderie is ingrained in the foundations of the bedrock of Old Trafford. Fickle words that ring hollow when so many are willing to make a player of the club whose only crime is not being that great of a player. There's been no off-pitch antics, no scandals or drama. Just a long serving player with some funky face antics.

It makes me sad because the reason Phil must have come to the conclusion that he does not want what Roy Keane describes as a chance to say gooodbye to the United fans is quite simply because he knows what we the fans say about him.

We, or everyone who has spent some of their time online finding pleasure in talking down a player at length for a long time has achieved what you dreamt of: Discouraged one of our very own from the chance to say goodybe to the fans after serving the club for a decade.

Great post, agree with it all

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Brilliant post.

Fluctuation0161

Spot on. Great post.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What a shit post :lol:
what did Sanchez do wrong then? if Jones is free of any blame.

At least Sanchez had the decency of quitting to play in other team. Jones on the other hand...

El Zoido

Fantastic post. I defended the club when his contract was renewed, while a lot of fans demanded we just kick him out on his arse. When people at Manchester United say “family”, it’s about the club itself and not the fanbase, a lot of which are quite fickle and don’t have any connection to the club or the city. We renewed him because we look after our own, a philosophy that applies from the playing staff down to the dinnerladies. It’s simply lost on a lot of fans, when you’re so disconnected from the human aspect of the club, it’s easy to lose any sense of perspective. I do feel sorry for Phil, but I’m absolutely certain that he’s got strong support from everyone within the club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@Tom Cato

While I agree with everything in your post, I think 99% of fans would realise Phil Jones has over stayed at United and should have left 2/3 years ago. Reaching 10 years at the club is admirable but also ridiculous and sums up why we got into this mess in the first place.

I'm sure plenty of fans would have turned up but lets be honest he isn't a fan favourite or have a big reputation at the club, so maybe he would just rather save himself the embarrasment.

I don't really see why we sold Smalling but kept Jones, I can only think it's because of the certain amount of homegrown players needed in the squad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We should've extended Lingard contract for another 10 years, no matter how useless he is. Poor jlingz couldn't get any other CLub that wanted him enough (aka paying his current wage). He's part of the "Family" anyway.

And wtf SAF did with Beckham? or Keano, RVN, or Cole? Didn't SAF have "human aspect" of the CLub of keeping Family together? That old whiskey purple nose!!

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
what did Sanchez do wrong then? if Jones is free of any blame.

At least Sanchez had the decency of quitting to play in other team. Jones on the other hand...
Sanchez wanted to quit as soon as he joined, have you forgotten the quotes

Withnail

@Tom Cato

While I agree with everything in your post, I think 99% of fans would realise Phil Jones has over stayed at United and should have left 2/3 years ago. Reaching 10 years at the club is admirable but also ridiculous and sums up why we got into this mess in the first place.

I'm sure plenty of fans would have turned up but lets be honest he isn't a fan favourite or have a big reputation at the club, so maybe he would just rather save himself the embarrasment.

I don't really see why we sold Smalling but kept Jones, I can only think it's because of the certain amount of homegrown players needed in the squad.
We had a bidder for Smalling. We can't shift Jones as he's never fit. Why we'd bother renewing Jones is another matter entirely.

James35

It's been so long since rival managers have been this salty with regards to us. To me this shows the massive leap in status we currently have as we are now being looked at as a genuine threat.

It's all music to my ears and although I have not been Ole in I am very excited by our current form and never say die attitude. Long may this continue and hopefully we can win tonight and at Anfield via late penalties just for shits and giggles.

Long term though I really hope Ole proves me wrong and this was certainly one of my favourite press conferences by him of late.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Great post. The bit about his testimonial makes me sad.