Solksjaer press conference - City in the League Cup

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
what did Sanchez do wrong then? if Jones is free of any blame.

At least Sanchez had the decency of quitting to play in other team. Jones on the other hand...
It was just a shit post lacking any sense all around. Wtf has Sanchez got to do with Phil jones

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We should've extended Lingard contract for another 10 years, no matter how useless he is. Poor jlingz couldn't get any other CLub that wanted him enough (aka paying his current wage). He's part of the "Family" anyway.

And wtf SAF did with Beckham? or Keano, RVN, or Cole? Didn't SAF have "human aspect" of the CLub of keeping Family together? That old whiskey purple nose!!
Another shit post that has nothing to do with Phil jones

U.N.C.L.E

"Phil Jones 'rejected Manchester United testimonial' when he signed new deal as he feared, 'Apart from my mum and dad, who would turn up?'"

With respect I won’t and don’t feel sorry for Phil’s thoughts on the testimonial. I’ve worked in corporate for 40 years and seen dozens of empty suits get their gold watch either literally or figuratively. I do though applaud him for his self-awareness on the subject. Very few suits ever give back the Rolex with a shy “I don’t really deserve this....”

tomaldinho1

I actually feel bad for Phil.

And before anyone of you says "he's rich". Just shut up. Money doesn't make you happy in the long term, it only makes the pursuit of happiness a lot easier. If money is a factor in which you decide you can treat people like garbage then take along look in the mirror and see what true trash look like.

I always felt quite awful about this segment from 2019

"Phil Jones 'rejected Manchester United testimonial' when he signed new deal as he feared, 'Apart from my mum and dad, who would turn up?'"

That's not saying something about Phil Jones. That's saying something about the fans of Manchester United. About how fickle and shitty a lot of us can apparently be.

Phil has spent 10 years at Manchester Untited. He's one of the last remaining players from the reign of Sir Alex along with DDG. Jones was also a key cog in the 17/18 defense when we took 2nd. The best finish in the Prem since SAF retired. He has 27 international caps for England and 165 for Manchester United. Jones has been part of a LOT of highs of this club in the past decade, and of course a lot of downs. He's not the best player that ever put on the jersey, but he has always remained professional during his years here.

Roy Keane wrote in his autobiography:

"But I think it's the tradition that makes it such a big day. You're thanking the fans and they're thanking you. It was a chance for me to say goodbye to the United fans - a huge incentive for me."

When the club offered the new deal the testimonial is part of the standard deal as a reward for having been at the club for 10 years. All players who play for a decade is offered one. It's a reward for long service.

Things like this makes me reflect on how people are quick to say "family" about Manchester United. How this club is different, the comraderie is ingrained in the foundations of the bedrock of Old Trafford. Fickle words that ring hollow when so many are willing to make a player of the club whose only crime is not being that great of a player. There's been no off-pitch antics, no scandals or drama. Just a long serving player with some funky face antics.

It makes me sad because the reason Phil must have come to the conclusion that he does not want what Roy Keane describes as a chance to say gooodbye to the United fans is quite simply because he knows what we the fans say about him.

We, or everyone who has spent some of their time online finding pleasure in talking down a player at length for a long time has achieved what you dreamt of: Discouraged one of our very own from the chance to say goodybe to the fans after serving the club for a decade.

Good job. Best fans in the world. Truly.
I agree fans have become too much of a burden/fear for footballers but surely this does speak volumes about Phil Jones? He's not some kind of free-loader who thinks he automatically deserves a testimonial based on time spent at a club and surely hints that he feels he has never achieved what he wanted to as a player and therefore doesn't want to celebrate/feels undeserving. He has been unbelievably unlucky with his body but you never hear him moaning, you never really hear much from him at all and I think it's because he's very grounded, a grafter who holds himself to high standards and someone who lives only for football.

RashyForPM

Fantastic post. I defended the club when his contract was renewed, while a lot of fans demanded we just kick him out on his arse. When people at Manchester United say “family”, it’s about the club itself and not the fanbase, a lot of which are quite fickle and don’t have any connection to the club or the city. We renewed him because we look after our own, a philosophy that applies from the playing staff down to the dinnerladies. It’s simply lost on a lot of fans, when you’re so disconnected from the human aspect of the club, it’s easy to lose any sense of perspective. I do feel sorry for Phil, but I’m absolutely certain that he’s got strong support from everyone within the club.
Hold on. Simply going by what you’re saying, you think we should never ever not renew a player’s contract no matter what, even if said player (Phil) is the 6th choice CB. In that case, the club should be paying someone 80K per week give or take even if he serves no more purpose to the first team? If you had your wish, we’d have about 300 players in our team now, including the likes of Obertan and Bebe. Lingard would still be here in 2030 as 5th choice RW if you were in charge. How will we even register them, or allow them all to train if we do this? I don’t think keeping Phil here is beneficial for him as well. He’s a footballer. He needs to play, and unfortunately he won’t play another game for us due to us having 4 better CBs.

Also, you say fans aren’t part of the family. Let’s not be nonsensical and over dramatic here. Ole has made United a tight-knit club again and has restored the connection with the fans. Thus, we are a tight-knit family again. From 2014 to 2018, we were fractured. Without the connection with the fans, there is no United family. Sir Matt and Jimmy Murphy’s philosophy was to reward our hardworking, passionate fans with entertaining, swashbuckling football every Saturday. They are the metaphorical fathers of this family. Along with that, without fans money and support, there would be no Manchester United, just like if we had no playing staff or manager. We’re all as important as each other. Ask Ole and he would say the same.

Finally, real ‘human aspect’ would be letting Phil go on a free to someone where he would play, writing him a lengthy farewell statement on social media where fans can thank him and giving him a testimonial anyway, encouraging all United-supporting locals or tourists to go. I respect Phil as he has been a good servant to the club and has won two titles here, so he would deserve all this. However, as a mutually beneficial thing between club and player, let’s not advocate the club giving fringe players long-term contracts rather than shifting them and upgrading so we can progress. This helps both the club and the player, Phil in this case as he can play regularly, move forward.

Manchester United is not a charity. Saying fringe players who offer far less than others on the pitch should be let go does not express a disconnect with the human aspect of the club or a non-family feel. We never furloughed a single staff member during the first lockdown, and I know for a fact all us fans were proud of the club for that. Liverpool, Spurs, Bournemouth and Newcastle did. Those aren’t families. We are, and have been since Newton Heath LYR were formed in 1878.

bsCallout

I actually feel bad for Phil.

And before anyone of you says "he's rich". Just shut up. Money doesn't make you happy in the long term, it only makes the pursuit of happiness a lot easier. If money is a factor in which you decide you can treat people like garbage then take along look in the mirror and see what true trash look like.

I always felt quite awful about this segment from 2019

That's not saying something about Phil Jones. That's saying something about the fans of Manchester United. About how fickle and shitty a lot of us can apparently be.

Phil has spent 10 years at Manchester Untited. He's one of the last remaining players from the reign of Sir Alex along with DDG. Jones was also a key cog in the 17/18 defense when we took 2nd. The best finish in the Prem since SAF retired. He has 27 international caps for England and 165 for Manchester United. Jones has been part of a LOT of highs of this club in the past decade, and of course a lot of downs. He's not the best player that ever put on the jersey, but he has always remained professional during his years here.

Roy Keane wrote in his autobiography:

"But I think it's the tradition that makes it such a big day. You're thanking the fans and they're thanking you. It was a chance for me to say goodbye to the United fans - a huge incentive for me."

When the club offered the new deal the testimonial is part of the standard deal as a reward for having been at the club for 10 years. All players who play for a decade is offered one. It's a reward for long service.

Things like this makes me reflect on how people are quick to say "family" about Manchester United. How this club is different, the comraderie is ingrained in the foundations of the bedrock of Old Trafford. Fickle words that ring hollow when so many are willing to make a player of the club whose only crime is not being that great of a player. There's been no off-pitch antics, no scandals or drama. Just a long serving player with some funky face antics.

It makes me sad because the reason Phil must have come to the conclusion that he does not want what Roy Keane describes as a chance to say gooodbye to the United fans is quite simply because he knows what we the fans say about him.

We, or everyone who has spent some of their time online finding pleasure in talking down a player at length for a long time has achieved what you dreamt of: Discouraged one of our very own from the chance to say goodybe to the fans after serving the club for a decade.

Good job. Best fans in the world. Truly.
I don't agree. He hasn't played enough to deserve a testimonial.

United shouldnt have hung him out to dry, they should have offered him a playing/staff role at some level to earn his ridiculous pay. Like Fletcher got after his illness.

That doesn't mean we should continue paying him millions to never play AND get a testimonial thrown in too, to celebrate a player we've barely seen.

There should be a clear path to a career when injuries ruin their playing career.

dal

Yes! He did a cheeky "facht" reference there haha. Look at him smiling, he knows exactly what he is doing.
He’s brilliant at dealing with pressure I feel. He’s managed himself and challenging situations very very well.

It’s incredibly clever from him. He’s tackled head on what Klopps doing, he prepared for the question and brought up Lampard.

Its without doubt that it influences referees somewhat, maybe he’s trying to balance that out with his comments.

El Zoido

Hold on. Simply going by what you’re saying, you think we should never ever not renew a player’s contract no matter what, even if said player (Phil) is the 6th choice CB. In that case, the club should be paying someone 80K per week give or take even if he serves no more purpose to the first team? If you had your wish, we’d have about 300 players in our team now, including the likes of Obertan and Bebe. Lingard would still be here in 2030 as 5th choice RW if you were in charge. How will we even register them, or allow them all to train if we do this? I don’t think keeping Phil here is beneficial for him as well. He’s a footballer. He needs to play, and unfortunately he won’t play another game for us due to us having 4 better CBs.

Also, you say fans aren’t part of the family. Let’s not be nonsensical and over dramatic here. Ole has made United a tight-knit club again and has restored the connection with the fans. Thus, we are a tight-knit family again. From 2014 to 2018, we were fractured. Without the connection with the fans, there is no United family. Sir Matt and Jimmy Murphy’s philosophy was to reward our hardworking, passionate fans with entertaining, swashbuckling football every Saturday. They are the metaphorical fathers of this family. Along with that, without fans money and support, there would be no Manchester United, just like if we had no playing staff or manager. We’re all as important as each other. Ask Ole and he would say the same.

Finally, real ‘human aspect’ would be letting Phil go on a free to someone where he would play, writing him a lengthy farewell statement on social media where fans can thank him and giving him a testimonial anyway, encouraging all United-supporting locals or tourists to go. I respect Phil as he has been a good servant to the club and has won two titles here, so he would deserve all this. However, as a mutually beneficial thing between club and player, let’s not advocate the club giving fringe players long-term contracts rather than shifting them and upgrading so we can progress. This helps both the club and the player, Phil in this case as he can play regularly, move forward.

Manchester United is not a charity. Saying fringe players who offer far less than others on the pitch should be let go does not express a disconnect with the human aspect of the club or a non-family feel. We never furloughed a single staff member during the first lockdown, and I know for a fact all us fans were proud of the club for that. Liverpool, Spurs, Bournemouth and Newcastle did. Those aren’t families. We are, and have been since Newton Heath LYR were formed in 1878.
It’s for the club to evaluate, and I will respect that they are closer to the situation and better positioned to make a decision on how to support the employee. Something that I, as someone looking in from the outside, cannot.

RashyForPM

It’s for the club to evaluate, and I will respect that they are closer to the situation and better positioned to make a decision on how to support the employee. Something that I, as someone looking in from the outside, cannot.
In terms of supporting him, of course they are. His family and friends will be too, and so are real United fans on social media. All that is obviously fantastic. Still though, in terms of offering new contracts, my point is just that we can’t offer every single fringe player new deals, or the likes of Lingard and Pereira will still be at the club in 10 years time.

Fluctuation0161

We should've extended Lingard contract for another 10 years, no matter how useless he is. Poor jlingz couldn't get any other CLub that wanted him enough (aka paying his current wage). He's part of the "Family" anyway.

And wtf SAF did with Beckham? or Keano, RVN, or Cole? Didn't SAF have "human aspect" of the CLub of keeping Family together? That old whiskey purple nose!!
Strawman.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Jones doesn't deserve abuse but shifting the blame for his situation onto the fanbase is ridiculous. Jones had the opportunity to turn down his latest contract renewal. He has the opportunity to lower his demands and tell the club to let him leave on loan or permanently.

The club was dumb enough to offer him a new contract and no one can begrudge him for signing it. But when you do sign it, fully aware at the time how the fans' patience is running out, and then proceed to go awol for the next couple of years you're simply going to get heavily scrutinised. That's the name of the game.

Ultimately it's the fans who are paying the wages at the club. Without the fans buying tickets, merch, subscriptions etc. there would be no professional football. The fans therefore have a right to demand accountability. The fans have a right to be pissed off when you're leeching your way to millions of pounds each year and very rarely making your way onto the pitch for whatever reasons.

I want him gone as a player but wish him all the best on a personal note. Hopefully he has the right people around him, and the focus on mental health and player welfare seems to be better now than ever before.

Crustanoid

I think you're misremembering a bit; Emailing had a partnership with Blind under LVG, they played together almost every game in 2015/16.
Is this some kind of obscure tactic? I’m not sure how emailing somebody whilst playing a game of football helps matters but each to their own I guess.