Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

bondsname

This is how I’ve been viewing it as well. More often than not Ole’s team turns up against the big teams.

This is a trait that we have had on and off for years. We often worry more about games like Norwich away instead of Chelsea away for example.

It’s better to prove yourself against the stronger sides and then gradually change the mindset of the players to keep their motivation for the ‘smaller’ fixtures.

Again this is where another transfer window will help Ole massively, especially if we make another solid set of signings like we did in the summer. I honestly believe this side could really start kicking on with 3 more quality signings.
One known fact is we play better when the opponent has a high line, we perform better when a team is really giving us a go. I think the players give it their absolute all in the top meetings, whilst playing versus a "smaller" opponent, we seem to lack the motivation to perform at the same level.

Eriku

I didnt see anything different today. Zero shots on target no goals from open play, one goal form pen the other from a foul, playing with 5 defenders.
We did have a shot on target from open play, courtesy of Lingard.

Which, incidentally, is half the amount of shots on target that the home side managed throughout the whole match. It’s not really that strong of a point.

Gator Nate

@lysglimt, love your post, want to address a couple of specifics as I view them:

If 5 players get hamstring injuries - there's usually something wrong at the club. If 5 players get freak injuries or get injured due to nasty tackles - it's bad luck.
This is my main real concern, we had a lot of conditioning-type injuries that make me worry about warmup/cooldown procedures at the club. And not just pre-/post-game, but at training, too.

We are not there - we don't have the squad for it, we haven't implemented a playing-style yet, and OGS doesn't know the players well enough to know who he can trust (but I think he is getting closer)
I disagree a little that we haven't implemented a playing style yet. I don't think he has all the pieces in place, but particularly in the last two games, and a bit less so in the recent games preceding them, I'm seeing consistent pass attempts that show a certain expectation of players. Sometimes the receivers aren't there (saw a couple of glaring miscues yesterday and Sunday), sometimes the pass is just bad, and sometimes the defenses are just doing their jobs, but I can definitely see intent and Ole seems to want a more flowing front line. Martial/Rashford/James have the ability to do it, and they were really moving yesterday, though mostly to little effect.

Additionally, I think Ole has figured out who he can trust, but because of the thinness of the squad and the talent level at certain positions, that trust can only take him so far. Often he doesn't have a choice in who he puts on the field - injuries and schedule have dictated the lineup far too frequently. As for the players he flat-out doesn't trust... or didn't... they're gone. (Herrera being the exception, Ole wanted him, but that horse was already out of the barn before Ole took over.)

And when we lose Pogba and Martial - in addition to a lot of other injuries - it hurts us. It's not an excuse - but it's an explanation.
Realistically, it is the clear explanation - Thin Squad + Injuries = Problems. If you have your mind made up - Anything = Excuses.

Two other things:

The whole "lowered expectations" thing drives me nuts. Not expecting to challenge for the title, or top-four, is not "lowered expectations." My expectations are for those things as the squad allows. My expectations in our current situation are to be working towards challenging. That's not "lowered," that's "realistic."

The other is the complaints about our defensive nature. Until we get Pogba back, along with one or two more creative, attacking midfielders, Ole has little choice in how this is going to go. He has the personnel to be defensive and the speed to counter-attack so that's how he's going. In spite of that, he continues a high press (how much of the Norwich game did we have the defensive three on their side of the field?) because he's got pretty good pace at the back, too (Batshuayi goal notwithstanding). Against the weaker teams, we'll still do fine with what we have. They're gaining understanding and execution is improving.

90 + 5min

SAF was the one out of a million! This will never ever happen again.
Yes, he was. But he got time to prove that. He didn't get sacked the first minute it went backwards. He would have been fired 4-5 times before winning first title if we would judge to early. So little patience is not to much to ask. Especially when the squad was in the bad state and we also got hit by injuries.

If we keep on this attitude we're having at the moment fergie wouldnt have gotten the job and atkinson would still be our manager
Atkinson did get time. He got few years and didn't do all to bad, if we don't look at season he got fired. And it was right doing that. Solskjaer has been manager for less then a year. Got only one preseason. Got underperforming players. He needs time to do something about it. Give him a year or two and evaluate. But getting rid of him so early is just wrong.

rotherham_red

Why do people even bother with him I dont know...........

See the plastics are slowly waking up from last night disappointing result

:lol::lol:
I don't take him seriously mate, he's becoming a meme on the caf at this point.

I don't really care for them either tbh, I've said my piece on Ole plenty of times on this thread but when the other person is either intellectually dishonest, or just downright idiotic, there's not really any point in trying to have a conversation with them.

I'm backing Ole to the hilt, and come what may. He has the club's best interests at heart, and he genuinely takes an interest in the young players who are coming through and he isn't afraid to give them their shot, irrespective of what others might say on that because their favourite isn't getting picked.

lysglimt

Scout
I wish we would make our mind up, is it the points that matter or the football we are playing? I thought everybody hated Jose for his ultra defensive style that wasn’t the United way.
No - I hated Mourinho for his personality. For him throwing players under the bus.

What I disliked about his playing style was that I never understood what his playing style was. A team can play defensively and be extremely exciting to watch if you have wingers like Robben, Giggs, Ribery

But if you are supposed to be a genious of a manager - you do NOT combine low pressure with slow players up front. If you play Mata, Fellaini, Zlatan, Rooney - and you start pressing in your own half - you can forget about counter-attacking goals.

That's the difference between OGS and Mourinho. OGS wants high pressure when the opponents have the ball fairly close to the ball and are not in balance. Yesterday we play something of a 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 with high pressure on Chelsea. That's how we got the penalty.

Once they play past the first line - or get the ball under control, our players go down into a defensive structure 5-3-2 or 5-2-3. Williams and AWB goes down as full-backs and we play a midfield 3 with Fred and McTominay defensively and Lingard a bit further forward. And James and Rashford as first defenders.

This makes perfect sense if you have Rashford, James and Martial up front (or Lingard) - who are very quick with or without the ball. It would make zero sense if we played with Mata, Rooney or Zlatan up front, because if we win the ball 40 yards from goal no one will catch James, but everyone would catch Mata or Zlatan.

Dve

One known fact is we play better when the opponent has a high line, we perform better when a team is really giving us a go. I think the players give it their absolute all in the top meetings, whilst playing versus a "smaller" opponent, we seem to lack the motivation to perform at the same level.
I think there is nothing wrong with the motivation. You need qualify to break down a defence the way Ole wants to do it. Ole´s way of playing is more continental than British (except that he likes dribblers), but so far this season, the front players have lacked the quality to play the way Ole wants. But they have proven before that at least some of the players have it in them. Rashford looks to be finding back his balance and Martial is back. Pogba soon to return + some enforcement in January. I still regard United a real contender for a top 4 spot.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No - I hated Mourinho for his personality. For him throwing players under the bus.

What I disliked about his playing style was that I never understood what his playing style was. A team can play defensively and be extremely exciting to watch if you have wingers like Robben, Giggs, Ribery

But if you are supposed to be a genious of a manager - you do NOT combine low pressure with slow players up front. If you play Mata, Fellaini, Zlatan, Rooney - and you start pressing in your own half - you can forget about counter-attacking goals.

That's the difference between OGS and Mourinho. OGS wants high pressure when the opponents have the ball fairly close to the ball and are not in balance. Yesterday we play something of a 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 with high pressure on Chelsea. That's how we got the penalty.

Once they play past the first line - or get the ball under control, our players go down into a defensive structure 5-3-2 or 5-2-3. Williams and AWB goes down as full-backs and we play a midfield 3 with Fred and McTominay defensively and Lingard a bit further forward. And James and Rashford as first defenders.

This makes perfect sense if you have Rashford, James and Martial up front (or Lingard) - who are very quick with or without the ball. It would make zero sense if we played with Mata, Rooney or Zlatan up front, because if we win the ball 40 yards from goal no one will catch James, but everyone would catch Mata or Zlatan.
The way i see it. Those players deserved to be thrown under the bus

Gator Nate

Hmm...

The Moaning One, through 10 games last year: 8th place, 17 points, 5 points out of 4th, 0 GD

Ole at the Wheel, through 10 games this year: 7th place, 13 points, 7 points out of 4th, +3 GD

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What I disliked about his playing style was that I never understood what his playing style was.
He never had us playing like a proper unit consistently. That was my primary issue with him, not that his football was reactive/pragmatic/defensive (call it what you will) as such. If we had actually looked like a well drilled team, only lacking in individual quality, during his "greatest achievement" campaign, it would have been easy to get behind him.

His proposed spin never quite matched what we saw on the pitch, though.

As for Ole, the period we've just entered is important. With Martial back, and a relatively easy fixture schedule, we shouldn't revert to anything like Newcastle style performances. If we do, I'm not sure that can be excused - and, yes, it would indicate that he doesn't know what he's doing. To be clear, I'm not talking about results but performances - giving a clear impression that the team is well drilled, on the same page, working for each other, etc. Which is precisely the impression Mourinho's team failed to give (consistently).

lysglimt

Scout
The way i see it. Those players deserved to be thrown under the bus
Well - most successful managers take their criticism in the dressing room. I have yet to hear a player admit: "Being called useless by the manager in the press was just what I needed"

Aouer-United

Everyone forgot that Klopp played counter-attacking against top sides before 2019 and often have less possession around 35-40% possession and pressing them very high. He also sits back in UCL final and absorbs Spurs's pressure and play many high passes over to Mane and Salah.

Handré1990

The mood is shifting because we beat ‘bottom’ of the table Norwich? I don’t think so... I think we are just happy we got a win. He’s already shown enough that he is not a good coach.

I in particular think if he does turn it round it will be down to him basically telling the lads to go do what they want. I’ll repeat if he last the full season he best get fourth.
Hah! You’re shameless!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ole’s ship has all but sailed with the majority of fans only the blind would be getting back on board. But we are all hoping for the least amount of collateral damage as possible and if he by chance makes it to the end of the season. Let’s hope he made top 4.
Weird, hearing the matchgoing fans sing Oles name would indicate that you're full of bolony

imamuppet

I don't take him seriously mate, he's becoming a meme on the caf at this point.

I don't really care for them either tbh, I've said my piece on Ole plenty of times on this thread but when the other person is either intellectually dishonest, or just downright idiotic, there's not really any point in trying to have a conversation with them.

I'm backing Ole to the hilt, and come what may. He has the club's best interests at heart, and he genuinely takes an interest in the young players who are coming through and he isn't afraid to give them their shot, irrespective of what others might say on that because their favourite isn't getting picked.
Ahh OK so she/he is of entertainment value, got you

:D

Though having statistics such as
Me thinks the mods should give her/him a tag line!

Something along the lines of 'the quantum of unreality'

:lol: :lol:

Have we not sacked him yet, what are we waiting for?
Unsure if this is injest or serious, no white text

:confused:

Handré1990

I’ve been reading through most of this thread in one go, and to all of you (me included) who decided it was worth your time answering to this posters posts in this thread, I thought I’d just leave these here:
Ole’s ship has all but sailed with the majority of fans only the blind would be getting back on board. But we are all hoping for the least amount of collateral damage as possible and if he by chance makes it to the end of the season. Let’s hope he made top 4.
I think it’s natural it was a good performance and after being crap for so long you kind of get drawn into the fact that this team is incapable of doing a Norwich which the intelligent people know is not true.

The bigger picture is the guy is incapable of getting a set of ‘good players’ to play this way consistently which is where any fan with sense should be concerned.
They would still sing Jose Mourinho. We are just a humble bunch. But we aren’t all stupid. There’s a difference.
So, if you dare disagree with this example of humility and adult discourse, you are either blind, not intelligent, just plain stupid, or all of the above I guess. Good on you, painting with a broad brush always saves time! I guess it’s a nice comment on the times we live in.

joso157

I think any level headed fan can see that Ole clearly has a plan, tactically he's sound, we just need more windows to bring in the correct players....our biggest problem will be if martial can't stay fit as we don't have anyone who can replicate his style of play. 77% win percentage with 2.1 goals per game average with him as opposed to 28% without him and 1.1 goals per game, tells you everything about how important he is to how Ole wants to set up the team.

Ziggy Starduster

I think another league defeat with a performance as bad as that and he’s out the door.
Surely the club can’t let our league form continue to be so woeful. There is no way teams like Bournemouth should be beating us today whilst been so poor themselves. We are such a poor footballing side.

Roboc7

I think another league defeat with a performance as bad as that and he’s out the door.
Surely the club can’t let our league form continue to be so woeful. There is no way teams like Bournemouth should be beating us today whilst been so poor themselves. We are such a poor footballing side.
I don’t think he’s that close to going, Woodward has backed him too much recently. Could lose next couple n league and still don’t think he’d be sacked.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think any level headed fan can see that Ole clearly has a plan, tactically he's sound, we just need more windows to bring in the correct players....our biggest problem will be if martial can't stay fit as we don't have anyone who can replicate his style of play. 77% win percentage with 2.1 goals per game average with him as opposed to 28% without him and 1.1 goals per game, tells you everything about how important he is to how Ole wants to set up the team.
You're delusional. And to think that just because Martial was out was the issue is naive. Ole has done nothing to make us better. We will always have the odd game where we are doing well, but for the most part, we're useless. And only he is to blame in the end

Ziggy Starduster

I don’t think he’s that close to going, Woodward has backed him too much recently. Could lose next couple n league and still don’t think he’d be sacked.
We will be firmly in a relegation battle if we lose the next two. No way the club wouldn’t act on that.
The club needs to be in Europe next season for shirt sponsorship deal, surely.

Bestofthebest

A lot of what you say is correct. However, I cannot see how any manager will turn this team into one that constantly wins games. We are chronically short of class in every area of the field. Young should not be playing left back although seeing Williams today I think he should get a mini run at least. Lindelof does not inspire confidence when defending and is at best mediocre. In midfield the situation is even worse with only Pogba available, when fit, to improve the situation. Up front we are no where near dangerous, we are predictable, slow, and there is no out and out goal scorer despite the plaudits handed to Martial who was anonymous today. No better than Lukaku to be honest. As a team we appear to want to play at a slower pace and today showed what happens, B'mouth were easily able to get men behind the ball once they discovered we had very little threat up front. As individuals we have too many lacking in basic skills such as control, passing and movement off the ball. Ole is not responsible for this it is a prerequisite of playing football at this level.

Believe me I'm as eager as anyone to get my team back to where they should be but I am also realistic enough but I don't see anyone coming in and making major differences. It is the players who need to be changed in many cases but this is not an overnight job.

Ziggy Starduster

A lot of what you say is correct. However, I cannot see how any manager will turn this team into one that constantly wins games. We are chronically short of class in every area of the field. Young should not be playing left back although seeing Williams today I think he should get a mini run at least. Lindelof does not inspire confidence when defending and is at best mediocre. In midfield the situation is even worse with only Pogba available, when fit, to improve the situation. Up front we are no where near dangerous, we are predictable, slow, and there is no out and out goal scorer despite the plaudits handed to Martial who was anonymous today. No better than Lukaku to be honest. As a team we appear to want to play at a slower pace and today showed what happens, B'mouth were easily able to get men behind the ball once they discovered we had very little threat up front. As individuals we have too many lacking in basic skills such as control, passing and movement off the ball. Ole is not responsible for this it is a prerequisite of playing football at this level.

Believe me I'm as eager as anyone to get my team back to where they should be but I am also realistic enough but I don't see anyone coming in and making major differences. It is the players who need to be changed in many cases but this is not an overnight job.
I disagree. While we are short of quality in the side, I believe those players have more collective quality that the likes of Bournemouth, Newcastle, West Ham etc. Teams who have beaten us without playing well.
We are not hard to play against and should be a lot better / the players have shown this often.
He have a team that has an allergy to shooting. That is coaching and set up.
I think there are many managers who could be getting more from this side. I don’t expect miracle but I do think we should be doing better than this.

Roboc7

We will be firmly in a relegation battle if we lose the next two. No way the club wouldn’t act on that.
The club needs to be in Europe next season for shirt sponsorship deal, surely.
That’s gone already we’re not finishing top 4. The club has created a narrative that it’s all about the future, that’s what’s great about there plan there is no accountability. An odd win here or there that gets us up table will be all that’s needed to keep Ole in job.

Ole won’t be sacked until there is no other option and that bar will be quite low.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

We do lack quality however we have enough talent to beat teams like Newcastle Bournemouth and Co. We've got a manager whose out of depth and had failed in every EPL role he had

It's amazing how the bar has been lowered to accommodate ole. LvG was a world renowned manager but was kicked out despite winning the FA Cup and getting us to 5th place. Ole's seem to be able to survive anything bar relegation. All because he was a former player and he smiles alot during interviews

Last edited:

tenpoless

Ole in and out every good/bad matches.

He's limited and not good enough unfortunately. We have seen enough of his in game management. Unless if you want to provide him with quality players and rely on only that, his tactical changes cannot be relied up on.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

We lack quality to win the league. Not lacking quality to finish top 6. Top 4 is about par.

Jose the manager we claimed finished dinosaur weren't too shabby. Stop saying no manager can do better than ole gunnar ex molde manager. That's simply not true

Yakuza_devils

If given a choice between appointing Sam Allardyce and another romantic ex man utd player as manager I would have chosen the former. At least we can sack him if he can't perform without any of this romantic shit and lowering bar for the man utd DNA.

doriandun

He never had us playing like a proper unit consistently. That was my primary issue with him, not that his football was reactive/pragmatic/defensive (call it what you will) as such. If we had actually looked like a well drilled team, only lacking in individual quality, during his "greatest achievement" campaign, it would have been easy to get behind him.

His proposed spin never quite matched what we saw on the pitch, though.

As for Ole, the period we've just entered is important. With Martial back, and a relatively easy fixture schedule, we shouldn't revert to anything like Newcastle style performances. If we do, I'm not sure that can be excused - and, yes, it would indicate that he doesn't know what he's doing. To be clear, I'm not talking about results but performances - giving a clear impression that the team is well drilled, on the same page, working for each other, etc. Which is precisely the impression Mourinho's team failed to give (consistently).
People keep on slating Mourinho's style, but with the right personnel it is effective and fruitful, how it differs from Pep predominately is it requires players with patience, good analytical and decision making skills, the all out pressing that Pep employs is not required because you are using your analytical skills to anticipate how the game will play out, thus the most important thing is being able to read and understand the opponents game plan and use counter pressing, basically setting traps for the oppostion, Jose teams are very much like the snake the cobra 'the false sense of security'.

As with all managers he employs the squares and triangles in order for build up play, in defence he uses the squares. so the person on the ball has at least 3 passing options and from midfield in more cases than not prefers players to use triangles and play quick passess.

Mourinho failure as some see it, in my opinion was down to personnel, he wanted rid of Shaw and Martial in his first season [neither are good enough], he would of got rid of Mata, but the media uproar would of being something else, as for the defenders issue, people think he was after Maguire, but his number one target was the serbian, who plays in Italy, and what should of happen at no or little loss to the club, is the club should of sold Darmian, Jones,Linderof or Bailly to offset the cost of the incoming defender.

Mourinho wanted team players like Peresic and Willam, who are both having good seasons for their respective clubs.

For success to come about, our ships must be sailing in the same direction, constanltly carrying players, hampers the success of the team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We do lack quality however we have enough talent to beat teams like Newcastle Bournemouth and Co. We've got a manager whose out of depth and had failed in every EPL role he had

It's amazing how the bar has been lowered to accommodate ole. LvG was a world renowned manager but was kicked out despite winning the FA Cup and getting us to 5th place. Ole's seem to be able to survive anything bar relegation. All because he was a former player and he smiles alot during interviews
Agreed. It is a joke if some fans believe Ole is getting the best out of a poor bunch of players. With these players you must be in or close top 4. He is failing badly and all the excuses just ignore the performances and results

thepolice123

Tbf what made Mourinho great was his tactical flexibility but he was predominantly a counter-attacking manager. Our team has lacked a distinct playing style for years even going as far back when we were under Fergie. The only one who came closest was LVG IMO.

Ziggy Starduster

My current prediction is:
Scrappy win on Thursday, with very few attempts on goal.
Defeat at home on Sunday without scoring again.
Ole sacked on the following Tuesday.
If we lose to Brighton and he isn’t sacked then we really are in the shit.

Bestofthebest

We lack quality to win the league. Not lacking quality to finish top 6. Top 4 is about par.

Jose the manager we claimed finished dinosaur weren't too shabby. Stop saying no manager can do better than ole gunnar ex molde manager. That's simply not true
There is no way this team will win a place in top four without serious rebuilding of the squad. I repeat my claim that any new manager ( who are we thinking about? ) will significantly improve the performances of the current squad. This might or might not be proved before the end of the season depending on how low the directors will let us drop before taking action. I don't think there will be any significant signings in the New Year even if we are in the drop zone by then. I also don't think Ole will be sacked before the end of the season either but in some ways wish he would be so that Ed can appoint another poor sod to take the blame away from himself.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There is no way this team will win a place in top four without serious rebuilding of the squad. I repeat my claim that any new manager ( who are we thinking about? ) will significantly improve the performances of the current squad. This might or might not be proved before the end of the season depending on how low the directors will let us drop before taking action. I don't think there will be any significant signings in the New Year even if we are in the drop zone by then. I also don't think Ole will be sacked before the end of the season either but in some ways wish he would be so that Ed can appoint another poor sod to take the blame away from himself.
So you really think if we somehow got Klopp or Pep, we will not improve beyond 12th? And you'd think anyone else apart from Ole Gunnar Solksjaer won't do any better than what he currently shows? Seriously?

Maybe SAF wasn't such a genious and anyone else could have done what he does, because hey... manager doesn't matter

Roboc7

Season is a write off, no point letting Ole spend in January and as long as he isn’t here next season I could t care less about when he is sacked.

Judas

Open to offers
Give him the season though and next summer will be a shit show with anyone of quality steering well clear.

The only way he's in charge next season is if we've improved drastically by the time the season ends. Him being in charge of a mid table Utd going into a new campaign will be beyond rough.

Joeace2020

Can the Saudi's just buy the club, buy Pep out of his contract and spend 700 million on a new 1st eleven.