Solskjær as permanent manager?

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
It's been one match...
If we play like that all season then I'd love it. But rebuilding a squad and getting a big win against Cardiff are 2 different things, as much as I loved the game.

vibe

I mean it was one game, and it was just Cardiff, but for the first time in some 5 years we looked the way Manchester United is supposed to look vs bottom sides.

Much as we want to temper expectations here, let's give Ole the bloody praise he deserves for that one game.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yes, it’s been one match.

But, let’s say he carries on like this till the end of the season...

If we got an experienced DOF maybe that makes it more likely that we could go with a less experienced manager like Ole.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Yes, it’s been one match.

But, let’s say he carries on like this till the end of the season...

If we got an experienced DOF maybe that makes it more likely that we could go with a less experienced manager like Ole.
If he carries on like this till the end of the season (i.e we keep playing expansive attacking football, and winning) then he'd deserve the job on a permanent basis.

mattunited1978

doommonger
If he does well at United, he will get offers from clubs much bigger than Molde.
Exactly this. If he does well this 6 month i could imagine clubs like Monaco, where Henrys having a shocker, Leverkusen or Schalke who are massively under achieving, being very interested in him if he dosnt get the job here. He's in the biggest shop window in world football.

It would make this 6 month a massive win win for the club and for Ole, say we get Poch or Zidane and they stay for years and do well, then great. In the meantime Ole gets the oppurtunity to build his CV in better, bigger leagues than Norway based off a good 6 month here, and if he continues to do well, we'v got our future manager if Poch, Zidane etc... leave for whatever reason.

slir32

I am happy the board is taking 6 months to decide the next manager. Make sure we get the right one.

Yakuza_devils

If Ole can continue this form or better still improve the system further to be more attacking/entertaining, then he should be given the job.

IMO, his styles is more entertaining than Poch's and it's only his first week in charge. Hopefully, he can improve us much more. It's a dream if he can manage us long term.

Tiber

Look it's been one game:lol: .And Poch is clearly the outstanding candidate for the job.

But if our players play with this attitude and effort in an attacking mentality for the rest of the season? (And results can't be expected to be perfect, it's still a flawed team) Then my heart will be screaming for him to get the job. Things could get interesting, especially if Poch doesn't want to leave Spurs.

But again, it's only been one game. Long way to go

I have always fancied a United born and bred manager one day, always assumed it would be Giggs. But Ole might be even better, everytime he speaks I just smile. Even my Fiancée keeps saying that he should get the job just for being such a nice man with a weird hybrid Manc accent :lol:. But again, head must overrule heart and he must make a strong case to both

Freak

The true test for Ole will be how he does against the big teams - Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal. Also how he does in the champions league. Hopefully he does well and we can give him the job permanently as it will save us so much of headache with starting from scratch again.

Tiber

Exactly this. If he does well this 6 month i could imagine clubs like Monaco, where Henrys having a shocker, Leverkusen or Schalke who are massively under achieving, being very interested in him if he dosnt get the job here. He's in the biggest shop window in world football.

It would make this 6 month a massive win win for the club and for Ole, say we get Poch or Zidane and they stay for years and do well, then great. In the meantime Ole gets the oppurtunity to build his CV in better, bigger leagues than Norway based off a good 6 month here, and if he continues to do well, we'v got our future manager if Poch, Zidane etc... leave for whatever reason.

Very possible. Just hope he is smarter this time. Clearly remember (as soon as he was hired) thinking that he was a complete idiot for taking that Cardiff job. His stock was high at the time and he should have waited for the right Premier League job

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How do you make the a and e bum each other like in the title.
Invest in a Norwegian keyboard to get those juicy æøå vowels. We will be conquering the world soon with Solskjær, Ødegaard and Håland so you might as well learn how to use these magical letters.

Eric's Seagull

The true test for Ole will be how he does against the big teams - Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal. Also how he does in the champions league. Hopefully he does well and we can give him the job permanently as it will save us so much of headache with starting from scratch again.
We have 7 games including Spurs before Liverpool which I think we could win.

Drainy

My fear is that if we are successful under Ole, it will be the 'fling' effect and short term good will.

Long term we need to choose a philosophy and live or die by it. Maybe he fits or is the best choice but for the time being we should be looking for a more proven candidate.

crossy1686

career ending
My fear is that if we are successful under Ole, it will be the 'fling' effect and short term good will.

Long term we need to choose a philosophy and live or die by it. Maybe he fits or is the best choice but for the time being we should be looking for a more proven candidate.
When does short term become long term? And if we are successful under Solskjaer, why would we need to bring in a new manager who's more established? Solskjaer has been managing for 10 years, is that not established?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Knee jerk! You've got all season to see. My feeling is he needs to win the CL to get the job.

Drainy

When does short term become long term? And if we are successful under Solskjaer, why would we need to bring in a new manager who's more established? Solskjaer has been managing for 10 years, is that not established?
He is with us for 6 months. If we take him permanently the 'fling' effect wears off and his decisions will be far more scrutinised.

10 years without much success at a high level, if he has 6 months here the risk is that the feelgood atmosphere goes.

Freak

Knee jerk! You've got all season to see. My feeling is he needs to win the CL to get the job.
That's a tall order. We are far from the strongest team in Europe so I don't think we will win the CL whoever the manager is. What I'd like to see is progress - winning, attacking football, team play, work rate, a strong challenge in the FA cup and Champions League (quarter finals/semi finals would be good). I also see it still possible to make up the gap into the top four. If he can do that he's got my vote.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lets wait and see how he does. Moyes won his first game away in Wales by a big scoreline, and look how that turned out.

Realistically, I think he'd need a top 4 finish and a CL semi final minimum to get it.

BigRon1985

One win against a terrible team and there’s a thread for giving Solskjær the job permanently already - interesting!

Loved the result and playing style which was a breath of fresh air after the Miserable One but until we start beating Top 6 teams I’m reserving my judgement. Spurs is the big one - I expect us to thrash Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Newcastle and Reading and nothing less will do after yesterday’s performance.

Stepney73

Good win yesterday along with some nice attacking football for a change but let's not get carried away.the big test is how we do against the teams in the top half of the table.
I would love it to work out for Ole and see him as our next permanent manager but as most have said its just one game.

Let's see where we are as a team in 3 months.

NoLogo

It's been one match...
If we play like that all season then I'd love it. But rebuilding a squad and getting a big win against Cardiff are 2 different things, as much as I loved the game.
That's why we need a DOF who can work closely with Ole or whoever will be our head coach / manager for next seasons and we would do well to bring in this person asap so he can assess the situation and make sure we have sorted out our transfer targets for next summer way ahead of time.

MrBest

Terrible thread idea. Why even build pressure by talking about it. I have zero expectation for 6 months except enjoy every game we play. It has been 6 years almost since we scored 5 in a EPL game. That stat is disgusting and now im just hoping we do it a few more times and only discuss the perm guy from April. This game was built on adrenaline and teams have not had a really chance to understand how Ole plays.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Let Solskjaer handle the coming 6 months in peace. No extra pressure needed.

Eric's Seagull

That's why we need a DOF who can work closely with Ole or whoever will be our head coach / manager for next seasons and we would do well to bring in this person asap so he can assess the situation and make sure we have sorted out our transfer targets for next summer way ahead of time.
Hit the nail on the head perfectly:)

Someone

Something
I'm a huge fan and this would be a dream come true, but he hasn't been challenged yet. The reaction from the players was to be expected, but in time the job will get much harder. I don't even know if 6 months is enough to really show us if he's ready or not.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Let's just see where we are come May, if he has a good cup run, gets past PSG and makes a real challenge on top 4, then he will have as good a chance as anybody. But 1 game against Cardiff is far too early to judge. I'm just enjoying the renewed positivity and agree when he says 1 game at a time.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If you reckon its a terrible idea, why suggest it?
Because lots of people were suddenly advocating it and I wanted to know what people really thought. It's actually my worst fear that we did something sentimental and scouse on the back of a few good results.

Kag

While I think it’s very unlikely, the club will have a decision to make if Solskjaer goes on a brilliant run. And what’s more, I think we’ve got the players to do it.

It will put Woodward in a bit of tricky spot. Do we continue with the bloke (the legend) who is getting it right and winning matches, bringing harmony to the dressing room? Or do we stick to the plan and appoint Pochettino in spite of all evidence? I’m getting ahead of myself somewhat, but it’s something to consider going forward.

In a perfect world, we could watch our own Guardiola/Zidane type grow in front of us. Pie in the sky, of course, but we can dream.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
While I think it’s very unlikely, the club will have a decision to make if Solskjaer goes on a brilliant run. And what’s more, I think we’ve got the players to do it.

It will put Woodward in a bit of tricky spot. Do we continue with the bloke (the legend) who is getting it right and winning matches, bringing harmony to the dressing room? Or do we stick to the plan and appoint Pochettino in spite of all evidence? I’m getting ahead of myself somewhat, but it’s something to consider going forward.

In a perfect world, we could watch our own Guardiola/Zidane type grow in front of us. Pie in the sky, of course, but we can dream.
He's won one game though. We could draw at home next game and the mood will change on here pretty quick

He has restored harmony to the squad but you can't compare him to Poch who has built a squad to challenge despite not having a stadium or funds. Ole short term but Poch or an experienced young coach long term

Kag

He's won one game though. We could draw at home next game and the mood will change on here pretty quick

He has restored harmony to the squad but you can't compare him to Poch who has built a squad to challenge despite not having a stadium or funds. Ole short term but Poch or an experienced young coach long term
I didn’t compare him to Pochettino.

I was discussing Woodward’s decision making in the event Solksjaer exceeds expectations and ends the season brilliantly. It gives Woodward a huge decision to make, because the clamour for keeping on Ole (and Phelan) would be massive.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I didn’t compare him to Pochettino.

I was discussing Woodward’s decision making in the event Solksjaer exceeds expectations and ends the season brilliantly. It gives Woodward a huge decision to make, because the clamour for keeping on Ole (and Phelan) would be massive.
It's about making a decision for the long term interests of the club. Ole is not in their plans IMO.

Remember what happened to DiMatteo after he won the UCL( with a far better team than ours)