Solskjær as permanent manager?

IronCroos37

He won them their first two titles, he's been everything but mediocre for them. More or less legendary.

2 titles long time ago, in 2011 and 2012. At second stint with molde he has record P118 W66 D19 L33 ...... I don't like the looks of it , almost lost 1 game in 3

RedorDead21

I'm not with the hype at all for him. He's a great guy but he just looks like a happy kid in the sweet shop. It's only going to be more difficult for him to change approach with the lads when the hard spell comes. Hopefully he gets the 6 months through and we get the positives out of him which is unity, a level head on what needs to be done when telling upstairs.....shining a light on players who fade again after a month or so. The difficult games we'll need to see good tactics. He's a million miles away from what we'd normally be looking at in the summer if he wasn't an ex player and that alone won't carry him to success in the longer term??

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
His first ever United goal was scored 6 minutes after coming off the bench against Blackburn in 96/97, and his last ever United goal was also scored 6 minutes after coming off the bench against Blackburn in 06/07.

Now, I’m not saying this means anything particularly (and I’m really not, these things always mean absolutely nothing) I’m just saying that as someone taking charge of a CL campaign as manager of the club he won it for as a player exactly 20 years ago, he’s certainly got a flair for romantic symmetry, is all...

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
His first ever United goal was scored 6 minutes after coming off the bench against Blackburn in 96/97, and his last ever United goal was also scored 6 minutes after coming off the bench against Blackburn in 06/07.

Now, I’m not saying this means anything particularly (and I’m really not, these things always mean absolutely nothing) I’m just saying that as someone taking charge of a CL campaign as manager of the club he won it for as a player exactly 20 years ago, he’s certainly got a flair for romantic symmetry, is all...
More like exactly 19 years ago, but go for it!

RedorDead21

I don't go to many games but I was at Nottingham uni when we played forrest and he came on as a sub I believe and ripped them to shreds! A great memory for me.

The Mitcher

The climax of the 18/19 season would be exactly 20 years after the climax of the 98/99 season, would it not?

I mean, it’s not gonna happen either way, but still...
Yeah ok, good point :lol:

Dream Mockney, DREAM.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah ok, good point :lol:

Dream Mockney, DREAM.
Also, if we wanna go deep (and feck it, why not) that final was exactly 90 years to the day Matt Busby was born... and our ‘08 win was exactly 50 years after our first win in ‘68. Which itself was 10 years from the Munich disaster, and the one we were ‘supposed’ to win.

So, you know, if we’re gonna do it, history says we do it in banner years with romantic historical ties... it’s one of things that’s always made United so alluringly special.

feck it. I believe. Logic and reason be damned!

Last edited:

MyDevil

As much as I am excited and happy with his first game, I am not jumping and wanting him to be permanent manager. Not yet.
We need consistency but the schedule is favoring him at least till mid-Jan when the real test against Spurs.

A great start but the more important one is the great finish.

JPB

Yes he should be. I don't want Cappuccino or Zidane. Zidane can't even speak english. Fergie's ideas and style of play should be passed down from teacher to student for eternity. Or at least until i die.

Wishe

There's no clause for the full-time job, per the BBC.

But also a link to the current players. In terms of an interim management team to the end of the season it's pretty much as good as we could hope for.

Things'll have to go pretty much perfectly until the end of the year for him to get it permanently, but stranger things...
I read this on Sky Sports Are you sure?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I read this on Sky Sports Are you sure?
Sky Sources tend to be plucked from their bumholes. The Beeb's man in Manc is more trustworthy:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ole is more qualified for the United job as Rijkaard was for the Barcelona job. Just saying...:p

The Mitcher

Also, if we wanna go deep (and feck it, why not) that final was exactly 90 years to the day Matt Busby was born... and our ‘08 win was exactly 50 years after our first win in ‘68. Which itself was 10 years from the Munich disaster, and the one we were ‘supposed’ to win.

So, you know, if we’re gonna do it, history says we do it in banner years with romantic historical ties... it’s one of things that’s always made United so alluringly special.

It's our year to quote the Scousers!

Nikelesh Reddy

Zidane and Pep were both rookies when hired by huge clubs.
There’s no comparison really.Theres a huge difference between being manager of the big 2 in la liga,and being a manager of a top club in England.Ole was given a chance at Cardiff,and things didn’t go so well...I mean,it’s ridiculous to even justify why we should appoint a Pochettino or a Zidane ahead of Ole!Thankfully the club won’t make that mistake....

midnightmare

Logic and reason being damned are one thing - but why also damn mathematics?

Ace of Spades

If he does well, he should get the job. Not in terms of results only, but also our style of play and the improvement in our players.

Ashley R1+O

Won't be popular but sign me up. I love the guy, couldn't be happier for the bloke if he became our manager.

LordNinio

There’s no comparison really.Theres a huge difference between being manager of the big 2 in la liga,and being a manager of a top club in England.Ole was given a chance at Cardiff,and things didn’t go so well...I mean,it’s ridiculous to even justify why we should appoint a Pochettino or a Zidane ahead of Ole!Thankfully the club won’t make that mistake....
There's also a big difference between managing a big team and a small team. Pep or Zidane would most likely have struggled or even failed at a club like Cardiff too.

Failing at Cardiff, with the set up and mentality the club has means nothing to what may unfold at United.

Obviously its far too early to be offering Solskjaer any form of long term contract. But if he instils the right attitude, shows tactical awareness and an ability to adapt, along with an upturn in results. Then he most definitely should get a chance.

minoo-utd

If SAF wants so then Ole going to be permenant, as I think SAF is the one who advised Ed to bring him and Phelan. Ed or the board have no clue when it comes to football matters that is why I think still rely on SAF decisions specially at this period of time.

hocane

Ole tried to play attacking, possession football with Cardiff which were your typical championship hoofball side, no wonder it didn't went well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He did well in first game, but far too early to start giving him the job. I want to see how he copes against the big teams and how he copes if the pressure is on him.

Charlie Yu

Yes please, unless he went on to be really horrible. I’m tired of us chasing big name managers

the chameleon

As I've written in another thread, I'm all for it. If he can get results on the pitch. We will still need a DOF to make sure transfers and scouting decisions are made from above.

What we can't have is any manager having a full power on getting players. One thing I did hear about Ole is that he loves giving Norwegian players a chance. Some newspaper outlets (99% bullshit news) were talking of Josh King.

This is why we need a DOF on top before agreeing with any permanent manager, Ole or not.

fergieisold

Lets see how he does over the next few games. I want to see how we deal under pressure, it is easy to tell the players to go out and play attacking football but without tactical awareness that can end up a bit like Everton vs Spurs yesterday!

One thing that did impress me was the amount of possession against Cardiff, clearly that is only possible with the right tactics regardless of the football you try to play. I also think Ole is intelligent and knows it isn't all about him, but the people he has around him. Managing a football club is a team job and you can tell he realises that as he was straight on the phone to Phelan!

red thru&thru

Not a good idea. We all know who the outstanding candidate is. Ed cannot afford for this to go wrong again.

johanovic

I wish Ole does well and I genuinely hope he will prove that he can lead us as a future United manager. The positve effect he has had in a short timeframe speaks volumes and all of us that support United were ecstatic during the game against Cardiff in seeing positive,attacking football again and staff and players enjoying it. It was like a burden lifted but it´s still early days but Ole has my 100% support and I think I´m not the only United fan with a similar mindset. We need a DOF and a better structure but when you look at the bare basics of it in modern football you need a manager that can create a positive working enviroment, has clear positive outlook on things and plays attacking football. At this moment in time I feel like Christmas came early this ear and I even wish Grinch Mourinho a happy Christmas.

Anders Agnalt

2 titles long time ago, in 2011 and 2012. At second stint with molde he has record P118 W66 D19 L33 ...... I don't like the looks of it , almost lost 1 game in 3
Winning the Norwegian league with Molde is like winning the PL with Everton. You need to remember that every player that stands out get sold right away. If you win the league and 3 players are outstanding, those 3 players gets sold and you start over again. Oles strength is to get 110% out of each player! If he manages to do that at United we'll finish 3 or 4 in the PL :)

Eric's Seagull

I wish Ole does well and I genuinely hope he will prove that he can lead us as a future United manager. The positve effect he has had in a short timeframe speaks volumes and all of us that support United were ecstatic during the game against Cardiff in seeing positive,attacking football again and staff and players enjoying it. It was like a burden lifted but it´s still early days but Ole has my 100% support and I think I´m not the only United fan with a similar mindset. We need a DOF and a better structure but when you look at the bare basics of it in modern football you need a manager that can create a positive working enviroment, has clear positive outlook on things and plays attacking football At this moment in time I feel like Christmas came early this ear and I even wish Grinch Mourinho a happy Christmas.
Good post mate and I commend you for wishing Jose Mourinho a happy Christmas. :)

Last edited:

izec

People always want a quick decision. I think once we play Spurs, we will know more. Then we got City and Liverpool, plus PSG. After that, think we will have a clear idea if we should keep him permanent or not.

PeteManic

I think Ole as permanent manager is much more likely than Pochettino coming in. I genuinely don't understand why Pochettino would be so desperate to move. I'm not saying that Ole is the better option, but I just think the day when all Spurs best players (and tin this case manager) moved to United are over.