Solskjær as permanent manager?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Good,thing is we have enough time and enough games to judge him.

I would love nothing more than to,watch him do great and earn the job.

peridigm

Unless we win the CL,he won’t get the job in my view.If we win it,then hell,just give it to him!!He deserves to stay on if he can guide us to a CL...
What if he got us past PSG, within a point of 4th and the FA Cup final?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's going to win his next 33 games, and we're winning the treble

Sterling Archer

His first ever United goal was scored 6 minutes after coming off the bench against Blackburn in 96/97, and his last ever United goal was also scored 6 minutes after coming off the bench against Blackburn in 06/07.

Now, I’m not saying this means anything particularly (and I’m really not, these things always mean absolutely nothing) I’m just saying that as someone taking charge of a CL campaign as manager of the club he won it for as a player exactly 20 years ago, he’s certainly got a flair for romantic symmetry, is all...
You want to talk about romantic and meant to be's?

In his press conference, Ole talks about freedom to enjoy playing citing the 5-5 versus West Brom on Sir Alex's last match in charge...

...I was thinking to myself how incredible it would be to then come in and have the team score five for the first time since. Seemed a long shot. But my goodness I was buzzing after that Martial goal, which was sublime. And then I lost my shit when we hit the fifth. Talk about poetic. And it certainly has an air of destiny about it.

How many interim or newly hired managers former youth team heads have gone to the CL final? Chelsea had two, didn't they? Zidane's first and Pep's?

Might not be that crazy.

Gasolin

He's going to win his next 33 games, and we're winning the treble
Even with all 20 wins in the league, we are not winning it. However, I would focus on the CL and try to finish 3rd.
That would be more than enough to head start the next year with a winning mentality and go for it, this time.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even with all 20 wins in the league, we are not winning it. However, I would focus on the CL and try to finish 3rd.
That would be more than enough to head start the next year with a winning mentality and go for it, this time.
We are finishing on 89 points! Pool will be destroyed over christmas and after we humiliate then in Feb, they will lack the confidence to mount a challenge. Also, Rafa visits Anfield in GW 37. It's written in the stars that Newcastle will win that game to end Pool's title challenge
As far as City is concerned, they've already dropped 10 points this season and with the form they're in, I will not be shocked if they end in mid 80s!

peridigm

Nope...Thank him for his service and bring in Pochettino next summer.If Pochettino says no,my choice would be Zidane....
What if Poch comes in and we end up becoming Spurs 2.0 for 3 seasons playing good football but never winning anything but top 4 finishes. Keep him or move on?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
What if Poch comes in and we end up becoming Spurs 2.0 for 3 seasons playing good football but never winning anything but top 4 finishes. Keep him or move on?
Keep him so long as the team is improving each season and he is bringing through youth players. Also as long as we are playing good football, I think with the players we have here he wouldnt need much in the way of signings to be a title winning team. Couple of defenders and a replacement for Matic, move Lukaku on as well as we need a more mobile forward line.

Nikelesh Reddy

Keep him...If we keep playing good attractive football,and if we atleast keep competing for the big prizes that’s good enough for me.If Pochettino gets backed in the transfer window he will eventually win the league...We can’t have unrealistic expectations from our manager(no club can in England).We can demand good,attacking football....we can demand entertainment....we can demand CL football every year....But we can’t demand the league or the CL.

Those days when United supporters could demand the league title from a manager are gone.The Premierleague is far too competitive right now....No club is going to win 7 league titles in a decade anymore.Our only hope is to find a manager who can play attacking football and who can consistently challenge for the big trophies.At United,Pochettino will be backed more than Spurs.If you keep competing at the top with a good manager,you will eventually win the league...

Nikelesh Reddy

Zidane and Pep were both rookies when hired by huge clubs.
But there’s absolutely no comparison between managing a reserve team in Spain and managing a reserve team in England.Theres a huge huge difference between managing Madrid Castile and managing our reserve team.
The reserve teams of Madrid and Barcelona actually play in a very competitive league.They play in the segunda b division which is a highly competitive league....There’s absolutely no comparison between the u-23 league in England and the Segunda b league in Spain.The Segunda b league is a bit like the Championship in England,although the quality is much much higher.

So there’s really no point in comparing a manager who managers Our u-23’s,with a manager who managers the reserve team of Barca or Real....

Tony247

Some managers make good players and teams very good but that's it. Poch is that category. Whereas managers like Simeone, Pep take teams to great heights. These managers are rare. If Ole gets something great out of this mediocre team in 4 months, then I say don't lose him.

deafepl

I think Ole as permanent manager is much more likely than Pochettino coming in. I genuinely don't understand why Pochettino would be so desperate to move. I'm not saying that Ole is the better option, but I just think the day when all Spurs best players (and tin this case manager) moved to United are over.
I'm not denying Poch is a really brilliant manager but his record of winning trophies is poor. If Ole can get us playing good football and winning at the same time, even if he fails to deliver 4 top or little off top 4, getting best out from the squad and show progress over 6 months, why would we need Poch? If Ole can do what we hope Poch could do for us assuming if he takes over us, it's not worth to take Poch on.

rpg

He will take us to CL final coincidentally against Bayern again, sub himself in and score a stoppage time winner exactly like he did 20 yrs ago!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I remember not long ago this place was going crazy saying the club are being too nostalgic with their appointments, there is no "united way" and that the Co92 need to stay away from the club.

Now everyone wants all this back. Glad that everyone recognises how important these things are, to different degrees.

Eric's Seagull

I'm not denying Poch is a really brilliant manager but his record of winning trophies is poor. If Ole can get us playing good football and winning at the same time, even if he fails to deliver 4 top or little off top 4, getting best out from the squad and show progress over 6 months, why would we need Poch? If Ole can do what we hope Poch could do for us assuming if he takes over us, it's not worth to take Poch on.
I was always up for getting a ew manager , I want Jardim but then Poch as second . From reading this post about Poch it makes quite a bit of sense. Providing Ole succeeds in doing what you say, I could see a reason for keeping Ole. Like you said Poch hasnt won any trophies, so that is not a measuring stick inn this debate. So in theory if Ole gets us playing better and the fans can see that we are progressing, that is the reason why want Poch in the first place. So in that scenario I could see how we would give it to Solsjkaer permanently as long as we bring in a quality DoF
We are finishing on 89 points! Pool will be destroyed over christmas and after we humiliate then in Feb, they will lack the confidence to mount a challenge. Also, Rafa visits Anfield in GW 37. It's written in the stars that Newcastle will win that game to end Pool's title challenge
As far as City is concerned, they've already dropped 10 points this season and with the form they're in, I will not be shocked if they end in mid 80s!
Really love it when I read about people with as much optimism as you mate :)

Morpheus 7

I think it's safe to say we our loving the optimism he's brought so quickly, on and off the pitch. There will be an honey moon period of results and a reality check I think. United fans have romanticized the Idea of managers since Fergie left, we need to be grounded and realistic of where we are. It's still about a proper plan in place behind the scenes, we need to get things in order long term. We will get back to the top but we can't be disappointed when it doesn't happen imeddiately.

Need to take things for what they are, Ole has come in to clean up the toxic mess that Jose left behind. He's came to give us fans a taste of what football can be and more importantly should be. To make fans look forward to watch the games, not see it as a chore and s lifeless experience. Most importantly to show that these players are nowhere as near as bad as how Jose told us they were. To stop the low standards and show that we are better. We can take a game to someone and it's about what we do not souly nullifying the opposition. Jose Mourinho conducted himself disgracefully over the last few months, he never embraced United and only ever made it about him and not the team. He hardly looked crushed when he left, still think he wanted out for months just wouldn't have the balls to say it.

Ole seems a gentleman and we will see better performances overall, I have no doubt about that. It will help the next manager not walk in to a destroyed side, may encourage others to stay. Ole could be offered a great job in his career after this. If it goes great it's realistic he could be brought in down the line. Let's just enjoy watching the team and not think of May. No need for hasty decisions on Ole, work on Poch or Zidane and dof.

tieunhilang

He will take us to CL final coincidentally against Bayern again, sub himself in and score a stoppage time winner exactly like he did 20 yrs ago!
Stop it, mate! I'm gonna cream my pants at the sheer thought of Ole meeting Bayern Munich again in the Champions League final.

wrinklydong

There’s no pressure to winning now except for CL, so I hope Solskjaer brings us entertaining football for the rest of the year regardless of the result.

I wouldn't mind some pragmatic football along the way against the top 6 if he is tactically versatile. As stupid as it may sound, that teeny-weeny possibility of him being successful and becoming the long term manager for Man Utd is something I really look forward to.

Last edited by a moderator:

el3mel

Keep him...If we keep playing good attractive football,and if we atleast keep competing for the big prizes that’s good enough for me.If Pochettino gets backed in the transfer window he will eventually win the league...We can’t have unrealistic expectations from our manager(no club can in England).We can demand good,attacking football....we can demand entertainment....we can demand CL football every year....But we can’t demand the league or the CL.

Those days when United supporters could demand the league title from a manager are gone.The Premierleague is far too competitive right now....No club is going to win 7 league titles in a decade anymore.Our only hope is to find a manager who can play attacking football and who can consistently challenge for the big trophies.At United,Pochettino will be backed more than Spurs.If you keep competing at the top with a good manager,you will eventually win the league...
I don't get it, if City can demand it why not us ? What are you saying will be the next step to us becoming the new Arsenal, which we should fight not to be.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't get it, if City can demand it why not us ? What are you saying will be the next step to us becoming the new Arsenal, which we should fight not to be.
I agree with him in that demanding a title is ridiculous but demanding a title challenge is what you can ask. There are way too many external factors that come in to who actually wins. What if you have a great season, finish on 90 points, score the most goals in the league but just miss out on every trophy because of some last minute losses? It's still a good season and of course you keep the manager. You always aim to fight for the top honors, but demanding implies consequences if you fail, like an ultimatum, so winning the title/any trophy or get the sack is always a ridiculous mindset.

el3mel

I agree with him in that demanding a title is ridiculous but demanding a title challenge is what you can ask. There are way too many external factors that come in to who actually wins. What if you have a great season, finish on 90 points, score the most goals in the league but just miss out on every trophy because of some last minute losses? It's still a good season and of course you keep the manager. You always aim to fight for the top honors, but demanding implies consequences if you fail, like an ultimatum, so winning the title/any trophy or get the sack is always a ridiculous mindset.
I agree on your point completely, but he was talking about us just have to demand CL football every year, that will be the first step in us becoming a new Arsenal. We should demand title challenging form every season, just like City, if we challenged closely and lost the league, no problem.

LingardsBoots

What a stunning start for Ole with the boys smashing in 5 belters, lets hope that continues tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikelesh Reddy

By demand I mean not accepting anything less than the league title in a season.By demand I mean sacking a manager if he fails to win the league....Obviously every top 6 club wants to desperately win the league and that should be the aim,that’s a given.But we can’t sack a manager if he fails to win the title within 2 years as long as we keep progressing...

Guardiola finished 3rd in his first season,15 points behind the champions...But nobody wanted to get rid of him...If Guardiola fails to win the league this season,do you think he will lose his job?Of course not...

Nikelesh Reddy

I agree on your point completely, but he was talking about us just have to demand CL football every year, that will be the first step in us becoming a new Arsenal. We should demand title challenging form every season, just like City, if we challenged closely and lost the league, no problem.
Please read carefully before posting.I clearly said that “as long as we keep playing good football and as long as we keep competing for the big trophies” he should remain in charge..l

Marshal

Too soon for a decision, but at least we are all excited to watch the next match!

el3mel

Please read carefully before posting.I clearly said that “as long as we keep playing good football and as long as we keep competing for the big trophies” he should remain in charge..l
If the manager looked like he reached the max he can do with the team after 3-4 years, all in top 4, all with good football and build a solid team but looks like this is as much as he can provide here, change or keep him ?

Nikelesh Reddy

If the manager looked like he reached the max he can do with the team after 3-4 years, all in top 4, all with good football and build a solid team but looks like this is as much as he can provide here, change or keep him ?
Change him...If it looks like he’s not going to lead us to a league title...If it looks like he’s not going to be able to reduce the gap to the best team(teams) in the league,then please change him.If we keep progressing steadily over the next 3-4 years with a good DOF and a manager like Pochettino,I think we will in the league.But as long as we can clearly see progress,we should stand by him...