Solskjær press conference vs Brighton (H)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fellaini injury news
Solskjaer confirmed Fellaini is out injured:

He’ll probably be at least three or four weeks, he’s got a calf problem and that’s sad. There’s X factor in diff players and we all know Felli’s X factor and then again he’ll be working hard to get back in when all the big games are coming as well.

Samid

Selection issues
Any selection issues ahead of the game?

There’s not many issues, I think just small niggles as there always is at this point of the season, Chris, Marcos just started running lightly so not fit yet Alexis has trained all week so hopefully he’ll be available and Felli is the long-term one that’s out. He’ll be out for a few weeks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fellaini injury news
Solskjaer confirmed Fellaini is out injured:

He’ll probably be at least three or four weeks, he’s got a calf problem and that’s sad. There’s X factor in diff players and we all know Felli’s X factor and then again he’ll be working hard to get back in when all the big games are coming as well.
Convenient transfer window injury. He was shown in the training video's doing a rondo and looked absolutely fine. If that injury is bad enough to wait 3-4 weeks there's no way he'd be out there playing/training.

(unless of course it happened in that session)

Samid

On Mourinho
Mourinho spoke and said he has a future in top level management, do you agree with that?

Yeah, why shouldn’t he because he’s a fantastic manager and with the results he’s had at don’t think he’ll be struggling for work.

Also talked about player power, doesn’t look like you’ve had any problems?

I can’t really comment on everything he says and I’m enjoying working with these boys and that’s all I can say.

Samid

On his start
When you came here would you have believed this start?

As I’ve said before you go into very single game as a Manchester United coach as a player or manager thinking you’ll win the next one, that’s just the nature of this club. We’ve had six good games but the next one is the most important one. Everyone said about Tottenham being the test, I don’t think that’s a test in attitude, the players are gonna be up for that game, I’m looking for a reaction in a home game against a team you should dominate and be better than, that’s the attitude if we go out there and do it in these games it’s these are the points that will get you up the table.

Samid

On Alexis Sanchez
You’ve got better performances out of all big players at United, one exception so far is Sanchez because he has hardly been on the pitch how frustrating is it that he can’t play as much as you would like him to?

You have to ask him, a player loves to play football, doesn’t matter who you are and he’s been hindered by injury, I know how frustrating that can be and how eager you are to get back. Maybe in the Reading game at HT he should have told me to come off because the next 15 or 20 mins were a setback.

But he’s champing at the bit in training. He’s attitude has been fantastic in training and I’m looking forward to seeing him, I’ve got loads of good players to choose from.

Samid

On life at United
Been here one month, managed to squeeze in a trip abroad, how settled are you? Are you in a hotel or a flat? How settled are you given the job you have to do?

I love it to be fair, and I have to say I look forward to getting up in the morning to start work again, I always do in football. Molde, Cardiff, I love working with people, trying to improve people and here you want to go to bed at night. I’m still in the hotel but I’ve found a place and won’t be too long. I’ve been driving around a bit and finding my bearings, I’ve met mates so it’s not like I’m on my own.

Samid

On Pogba
Pogba said overconfidence would be the biggest issue against Brighton because of the way the team have played recently...

Overconfident? No you cannot be too confident, it’s complacency, it’s the other side of it, I want players to be confident but not complacent and take their foot off the pedal because that’s a big diff for me. Take people on, running passing forward getting the crowd with them because that’s what it’s about.

Samid

On McTominay
Scott McTominay, any update whether he might be loaned out?

Scott is working hard, he’s a young boy I still believe in, we’re working on his contract, with the injuries of Felli as well and the squad we have I’m not sure we’re going to see any movement.

Samid

On January transfers
Are you expecting any incomings this month?

No, not really.

RIP muppets :(

Paul778

On Pogba
Pogba said overconfidence would be the biggest issue against Brighton because of the way the team have played recently...

Overconfident? No you cannot be too confident, it’s complacency, it’s the other side of it, I want players to be confident but not complacent and take their foot off the pedal because that’s a big diff for me. Take people on, running passing forward getting the crowd with them because that’s what it’s about.
Very good answer. He just has the knack of saying the right thing. By the accounts of what he's said to players in the dressing room and in Dubai this, this isnt just interview chatter.

Ed - give him a three year deal and a decent CB now!

crossy1686

career ending
I love the way he shut down the Mourinho stuff.

His attitude is just a breath of fresh air, feels like he's channeling Fergie at times.

And was there only me who got excited about the prospect of him finding somewhere to live that wasn't a hotel? The fecking depths of despair Mourinho drove me to, this is now something that a manager can do to make me happy.

ArjenIsM3

I love the way he shut down the Mourinho stuff.

His attitude is just a breath of fresh air, feels like he's channeling Fergie at times.

And was there only me who got excited about the prospect of him finding somewhere to live that wasn't a hotel? The fecking depths of despair Mourinho drove me to, this is now something that a manager can do to make me happy.
Yeah fully agree. He shut down the Pochettino vs him instead of Spurs v United stuff ahead of the Tottenham game in similar fashion. Love it.

The Purley King

10/10 ole.
Says the right things in the right way.
If he’s like that with the players too then easy to understand why we’ve had a great start with him.
When we have a wobble I hope he shows the same attitude.

AgentP

No January transfers was a bit expected I guess but still disappointing. If Ole can get us into top 4 with this squad, it would truly be a remarkable achievement and worthy of a longer contract.

Adam-Utd

On Pogba

Bingo! Nothing wrong with being confident and cocky as long as you can back it up. That's been what United has always been about.

He makes me so excited for the future as he says exactly what the fans are wanting, and he genuinely believes it. Not just talk for the press.

Thisistheone

Good stuff yet again from Ole. And sounds like he won't be living in a hotel for long...

Samid

On enjoyment
If you want to work in football this is the place to be and you have to enjoy it, of course there’s pressure that’s part of the job and the responsibility, I have been here before, 11 years as a player and four as a coach, this time around, it might be five months and leave the reigns to someone else, I will enjoy the time I’m here.

Last edited:

Winrar

Used to not put too much stock on what managers said at press conferences etc. But the things I've heard from Jose and Ole are like night and day, and the performances on the pitch reflect the positive attitude that latter exudes. Long may this continue.

buckooo1978

i really hope he can keep these results up - he'd be great in the job based on attitude and personality - as long as he can keep the football and results reasonably good he's a great shout

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Seriously can't see us not hiring him at the end of the season, be the with or without top 4.

Every week he brings massive positivity to the fans and gets them on board.

He's nailing press conferences, we're playing in a style everyone likes to see, there's no way he disagrees with any technical director coming in and probably most importantly, he's not expected to succeed due to the poor squad he's inherited.

Hopefully we've stumbled on our own next great manager.

Samid

On bringing back smiles
Talking about bringing smiles back, is this you as a person, would your family recognise that as one of your qualities.

I would think my family back home in Molde that’s just me it’s not something you go out to do deliberately because if you try to be someone else you get found out. I love football, I love working in football I love working with players who want to improve and everything about this place makes you realise you have to enjoy it while you’re here.

Samid

On the mood when he arrived
When you got here and assessed the mood were you surprised with how the players were?

I don’t think any Manchester United will walk around strutting when you’re sixth in the league, you shouldn’t and you wouldn’t, it’s about getting down to the hard work of course you play better if you have confidence and that’s my opinion but you have to be focused it’s not just about having a laugh it’s about working properly and consciously to how you want to look.

I don’t think working here is too diff to any club, working with people who used to love football as kids and we guide them to get the best out of themselves but we do have a responsibility because we do have this badge on our chest and that means a certain way of behaving on the pitch and the culture in the club has to be brought forward.

Have you had to remind players about that?
I don’t know if I have had to but I have. I don’t know what’s been said before that’s in the past, I can only go off from when I came in and from my time before how things were and how I want things to be we talk about United and how it’s supposed be at MU, I don’t know what’s been said before.

pacifictheme

"
Everyone said about Tottenham being the test, I don’t think that’s a test in attitude, the players are gonna be up for that game, I’m looking for a reaction in a home game against a team you should dominate and be better than, that’s the attitude if we go out there and do it in these games it’s these are the points that will get you up the table.
"

Brightons team talk right there. I really like ole but i do think on occasion he should be slighty more guarded than he is. Its a really minor thing but yeah, hes a bit too open and it'll be interesting to see how / if that changes if results start to turn.

Adam-Utd

"
Everyone said about Tottenham being the test, I don’t think that’s a test in attitude, the players are gonna be up for that game, I’m looking for a reaction in a home game against a team you should dominate and be better than, that’s the attitude if we go out there and do it in these games it’s these are the points that will get you up the table.
"

Brightons team talk right there. I really like ole but i do think on occasion he should be slighty more guarded than he is. Its a really minor thing but yeah, hes a bit too open and it'll be interesting to see how / if that changes if results start to turn.
?? Brighton will be up for this game whether Ole says anything or not. We've had Jose saying "every game is tricky and we will have to be at our best" and people like Newcastle came and outplayed us. Really it makes no difference, I doubt they even read the press conferences.

Bwuk

Have to give it to Ole, he always says the right thing.

Really refreshing to see after some of the bizarre Mourinho/LvG/Moyes press conferences.

Bola

You may have a
"
"

You may have a point there, but I wonder if the flip of it is OGS motivating his own players for past failings.

I think Brighton have been a great addition to the Prem, but United let themselves down in 2/3 prem games so far. Time to go out and get revenge and give these lot a good hiding

After that I hope Brighton keep picking up points and push for the top half

crossy1686

career ending
For someone who's English isn't his first language he speaks incredibly eloquently. Anyone that speaks another language will know what I mean by this. Sometimes it's hard to express yourself in the way you intend (Cech is retiring in a good moment - Emery), not for Solskjaer, he fecking nails it.

SqueakyWeasel

"
Everyone said about Tottenham being the test, I don’t think that’s a test in the respect of attitude, the players are gonna be up for that size of game, and then, what I’m looking for is a reaction: how do we react to a home game against a team you think that you should go and dominate and you should be better than, that’s the attitude if we go out there and do it in these games it’s these are the points that will get you up the table.
"

Once you add in qualifying words that you missed out of the quote … and when you actually hear him actually delivering them it's anything but arrogant and nothing here could be used to gee up Brighton unless it's wildly picked apart and taken out of context … in my opinion

Longaim

"
"

I thought exactly the same when I read that, but then listened to the press conference and his words were "How do we react to a home game team that you think that you should go and dominate and should be better than" His tone in it wasn't an arrogant one to me, it felt more like he was articulating the complacency of someone thinking they should dominate rather than working for it.

Reactions: Sultan

Djemba-Djemba

"
"

What's he said that would annoy Brighton there?

I'd rather have a manager talking like this than one describing every game we play as very very tough and playing for a point.