Solskjær press conference vs Chelsea (H)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yea caretaker manager who probably became permanent after his hot start in their minds, hell he even said that he was planning our pre season 5 weeks before they made it official. Sure they just extended contracts to Young and Jones without even consulting him, asking for his input. Dunno which scenario paints worse.
It's not hard to see which scenario works. Whether caretaker manager with 40 days at club who wasn't even guaranteed to be permanent manager at that time had so much power to sanction such a deal or club trying to save their assets.

Also maybe if contract extension works in a way that one fine morning Ole wakes up happily, he just decides to extend contract and all of a sudden players just signs that contract without any negotiations. If we believe at least there was 1-2 weeks of negotiations then it's believing Club going by the words of care taker manager with a month in charge of the club.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
100%. What I said there is based purely on a hypothetical scenario where things go badly tits up. I obviously hope that doesn't happen and am cautiously optimistic it won't.
Me too. I'm actually quite excited to hear him talking about the kids. It's what we all want right? Being led back to the top by a United great, with a nucleus of local lads. What's not to like?

R'hllor

It's not hard to see which scenario works. Whether caretaker manager with 40 days at club who wasn't even guaranteed to be permanent manager at that time had so much power to sanction such a deal or club trying to save their assets.

Also maybe if contract extension works in a way that one fine morning Ole wakes up happily, he just decides to extend contract and all of a sudden players just signs that contract without any negotiations. If we believe at least there was 1-2 weeks of negotiations then it's believing Club going by the words of care taker manager with a month in charge of the club.
Clearly for you. This thread aint for this discussion anyway.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Hang about... are you seriously suggesting that a soon to be permanent manager has no power of veto over contracts handed to players within his own squad...?

He just sits in the photos smiling while wanting the players out of the squad - and then hands one of them the captaincy?

Utter drivel, to be frank mate.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Hang about... are you seriously suggesting that a permanent manager has no power of veto over contracts handed to players within his own squad...?

He just sits in the photos smiling while wanting the players out of the squad - and then hands one of them the captaincy?

Permanent manager? :lol: Nonsense. Go and check the timelines.

roonster09

Scout
When was Young made captain...?

And by who?
How is young being captain changes anything? Do you think he will be first choice player this season? You talked about contracts and permanent manager.

He is club captain as he is senior player, nothing more. Just like how Valencia was captain and barely played.

fps

They just want a chance to moan. These people are there solely to look for reasons to be outraged.
Completely agree, it's a very internet-specific thing. It's very weird.

hobbers

How, exactly?

If the shit really does hit the fan, there will be a chunk of fans out for his head no matter what he says now. Meanwhile, making even veiled hints that he doesn't rate his squad - or didn't get the additions he wants/needs - serves no purpose other than trying to deflect external criticism away from his own performance and undermining the self-belief of the team.

Obviously, if he really thinks Woodward has dumped him in the shit he should tell him to his face. Playing that conflict out in public would be a shitty move, straight out of the Mourinho copybook, motivate more by ego than any kind of desire to improve the club.
I think the key difference between Ole and Mourinho here is that Ole actually could put pressure on the board while keeping players and fans on side. Mourinho has the ego stigma already firmly attached to him and can't seem to go a week without lambasting one or more of his players.

The real issue Ole has is that his comments now don't match up to his comments at the end of last season. Which does make him look bad, and now just paints him as a yes-man with no desire at all to influence the board. At least Jose was consistent in being absolutely down on the quality of the squad before, during and after finishing second.

But yeh, when the shit does hit the fan Ole's head will be the first to roll regardless of what he says and does to cover himself or highlight failings elsewhere.

roonster09

Scout
Rollin wont help you much, they played and extended under his watch, doubt he was/ would be against their extensions. After all they are winners in his eyes lulz.
Under his watch :lol:

Who cares id he was caretaker, it was under his watch.

JohnnyKills

Solskjaer's just toeing the party line isn't he. Much better than Mourinho's whingeing and moaning.

The fact that Roma have confirmed the Sanchez offer shows what OGS really thinks.

Shimo

The best aspect of this press conference is hearing how much Greenwood may feature.
For me it was the part about in the last 3 days about how we weren't going to just pull the trigger on people that didn't really want to be here. That despite knowing that we need to strengthen, it has to be not only the right quality but, also the right mindset. As any other supporter, would have loved to have couple more signings, especially in midfield and right wing but, understand fully that can't always get what you want.

el3mel

Hang about... are you seriously suggesting that a soon to be permanent manager has no power of veto over contracts handed to players within his own squad...?

Exactly. People are just kidding themselves when they say he has no role in extending contracts of the likes of Young and Jones. I have entered this discussion several times before you and it was in vain, so I'll suggest to just ignore it.

R'hllor

Under his watch :lol:

Who cares id he was caretaker, it was under his watch.
Like i said, no washing hands from those two, you cant spin it, bet if they are players fan base rate, you would sing a different song. After his start, doubt he was caretaker for long behind the scenes.

Him going public about preseason, them not waiting end of season to make a final decision how it was planned (by the brief reports), they made their mind way before, oh and yea, guess selling Afro few days before (even they extended his contract under JM) also had nothing to do with him not fitting in Oles way of play.
Guess they just sold a player in front of his nose without even consulting.

Officially caretaker or not, he probably was on board supportive of whole thing and if he wasnt and they did it anyway, think thats even worse. Now i am done with you, derailed this thread enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think the key difference between Ole and Mourinho here is that Ole actually could put pressure on the board while keeping players and fans on side. Mourinho has the ego stigma already firmly attached to him and can't seem to go a week without lambasting one or more of his players.

The real issue Ole has is that his comments now don't match up to his comments at the end of last season. Which does make him look bad, and now just paints him as a yes-man with no desire at all to influence the board. At least Jose was consistent in being absolutely down on the quality of the squad before, during and after finishing second.

But yeh, when the shit does hit the fan Ole's head will be the first to roll regardless of what he says and does to cover himself or highlight failings elsewhere.
Maybe. Maybe not. I doubt a few veiled comments from Ole about the inadequacy of his squad would make Woodward squirm any more than the ongoing outrage from United fans all over the world. It's all water off a duck's back. Until sponsors stop to walk away, or OT stops selling out then he couldn't give a shit. Which we know because Mourinho already came out with the exact same shite people think Ole should be saying and yet here we are.

What those sort of comments would definitely do, though, is puncture whatever sort of self-belief the squad is developing right now. God knows they've already proven themselves to be complete snowflakes. If the manager comes out and tells the press they're not good enough, then that's only ever going to have one outcome.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
For me it was the part about in the last 3 days about how we weren't going to just pull the trigger on people that didn't really want to be here. That despite knowing that we need to strengthen, it has to be not only the right quality but, also the right mindset. As any other supporter, would have loved to have couple more signings, especially in midfield and right wing but, understand fully that can't always get what you want.
I agree that that is the correct stance. However, there was this bravado of agents constantly ringing us because we're such a big draw at the end of last season and we've had months to do due diligence on desired targets. So either no proper midfielder, right winger and forward in the world wants to join us or we're a disaster in the market. I believe the latter.

Water Melon

There is no safe haven on the Caf. Negativity everywhere.

Ole's greatest challenge is to keep players away from social media. People cannot perform in this toxic atmosphere.
Do you really think the players are smowflakes? They do not give a feck about what is written about them. If they do and it has any negative impact on their performances, then they are not professionals. They have thousands and millions of followers, do you really believe they only get praised?

targetman

"Caffy's having a meltdown and a few niggles at the moment, but he'll be alright in a few weeks"

Lentwood

Criticizing the players - yes. Criticizing the owners - no.

Pochettino has called for more backing from Levy this window - didn't insult the players.

Benitez at Newcastle made it clear he wanted more backing - was loved by the players.

Conte at Chelsea wanted more backing - didn't insult the players in doing so.

Ole could easily have gently applied pressure to the Glazers this transfer window - instead he did nothing and sat grinning. Fair enough, but he now must make the best of what he's accepted, he has no excuses as he did nothing at all to apply pressure to the board.

What were they gonna do - fire him? He's literally just been given his contract.

He easily could have chipped in a comment like, "the players we have here are great, and I want to add even more quality to that team - but I'm not in charge of signing players". Which is basically what Pochettino did (and then got backed).

Ole is obviously either happy with what he's got (which is still a very decent squad), or is basically a Woodward yes-man.

Hopefully it's the former.
Pochettino got to a Champions League final with a club who were mid-table when he arrived, whilst maintaining a healthy wage budget and minimal net spend. I think he could use Levy's head as a bongo in a press conference probably still wouldn't get fired. The other two....well, how did criticising the owners work out for them again?

Remember, I was a big fan of Jose...I loved his willingness to call out the Board/owners. I have also criticised SAF in the past for NOT criticising the Glazers, since he was in a much stronger position to do so. I just don't see what Ole, in his current position, gains from criticising the owners publicly. In my view, we have had a generally positive window. I am sure Ole was realistic enough to know that we were not going to sign a CB, a RB, two wingers, a forward and a #10 in one window.

Also, who, that we have been linked with, would Ole be desperately upset about missing out on? I say as long as we continue to bring in two/three high-level players every summer window and show decisiveness in which players we want to pursue, I'll be happy enough

M Bison

Supports
York City
Leadership at this level is all about installing confidence inside the group. Create a we against them attitude and get all players on the same page. Saying the right thing in a press conference will convince the followers but neutrals or those who’re skeptical want more then just nice meaningless words.

I don’t blame him but it’s clear as daylight that there are discrepancies between his positive “mantra” and the reality. Results is only thing that can save him because you can only go so far with just positivity.
Of course, words only go so far, it’s what happens on the pitch that really counts.

That said, as has been commented by others, the absolute last thing Ole should be doing is airing our dirty laundty in public. Creating a united front is paramount, disagree behind closed doors but then out in public, it’s one team which is exactly what Ole has done.

I was dead against his appointment and thought he was the wrong choice at the time, he’s in now and all the histrionics from our fans is unhelpful. Hopefully the match going fans will be fully behind the team and management vs Chelsea, I’m feeling reasonably confident and upbeat but 3 points on Sunday will make a massive difference to the doubters and moaners.

It’s only 1 result but it feels like an enormous game for Ole and the players, a poor result and the discontent will really gather momentum.

red4ever 79

Just watched it. Seemed uncomfortable about halfway through when he was reminded he said if anyone leaves they will be replaced. Squirmed even more when pressed on the net spend. Pressure is on.

Cro_Devil

Good conference in all. As sayed before we will need some time to rebuild, glad abouth that that we are not mercenary club to gen instant result and in 2-3 years we are in same place. Maybe board will finaly give some time for manager stand behind him and support him, maybe they will hire some great DOF maybe not, that needs to be seen. All in all this is club i support it hurts to see us here but that is reality lets try fix it one step at the time.

roonster09

Scout
Like i said, no washing hands from those two, you cant spin it, bet if they are players fan base rate, you would sing a different song. After his start, doubt he was caretaker for long behind the scenes.

Him going public about preseason, them not waiting end of season to make a final decision how it was planned (by the brief reports), they made their mind way before, oh and yea, guess selling Afro few days before (even they extended his contract under JM) also had nothing to do with him not fitting in Oles way of play.
Guess they just sold a player in front of his nose without even consulting.

Officially caretaker or not, he probably was on board supportive of whole thing and if he wasnt and they did it anyway, think thats even worse. Now i am done with you, derailed this thread enough.
There is nothing to spin unless someone is naive enough to believe caretaker manager has so much say on multi million contracts when it wasnt even sure he would stay beyond summer.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Of course, words only go so far, it’s what happens on the pitch that really counts.

That said, as has been commented by others, the absolute last thing Ole should be doing is airing our dirty laundty in public. Creating a united front is paramount, disagree behind closed doors but then out in public, it’s one team which is exactly what Ole has done.

I was dead against his appointment and thought he was the wrong choice at the time, he’s in now and all the histrionics from our fans is unhelpful. Hopefully the match going fans will be fully behind and management vs Chelsea, I’m feeling reasonably confident and upbeat but 3 points on Sunday will make a massive difference to the doubters and moaners.

It’s only 1 result but it feels like an enormous game for Ole and the players, a poor result and the discontent will really gather momentum.
My experience in situations like this is to be your own worst critics in order to reduce the power of your opponents (media) ammunition. Take control of the narrative and force your critics to defend you instead of the other way around.

Example of how I want our manager to be more offensive in his approach.

- Our results last season was unacceptable and it’s my duty to take us back to where we belong. No excuses.

I’m comfortable with my squad but as you all know we are a little bit thin in midfield and up front. Our transfer window was good but as a manager you always want more, but that’s part of my ambition for this great club.

One of our goals this season is to give our younger players a chance to grow and get experience, we also want healthy competition inside the squad. United has a history of youth and I will continue to follow that tradition.

From now on I will hold all of my players and myself accountable regarding performances and results. The only way to be better is to train hard and improve on a daily basis. I expect all of us to give 100% and make our supporters proud. If we fail to deliver to expectations I will be the first to hold my hand up and take consequences. Manchester United is about winning and will not change that culture.

Finally. Me, the staff and our players can’t do this alone!

We need the board and all our great supporters to be behind us. This is a teamwork. United matters to a lot of people around the world and we’re proud to be one of the biggest clubs in football but our most important task is to give our match going fans entertainment and something to be proud about. They support us in good and bad and we have a duty to don’t let them down. Without them we’re nothing.

From now on all focus will be on our next game. We will take one game at time and with that I thank you all for being part of our great journey going forward.

Goku23

Slightly off topic but I noticed Chelsea bought someone for 40mil how when they have a transfer ban ?

Treble

Ole shouldn't be criticised for trying to be positive. Players and fans should believe that their team can make siginificant progess this season. I'm sure Ole is not naive to believe that everything is OK, etc.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I thought it was standard, generic Ole.

Although, he did imply that the reason for the club not buying another attacker this window was to avoid hampering Greenwood's development, which not only sounds suspect but it puts unnecessary pressure on the shoulders of a 17 year old lad.
I thought it was more extreme than standard generic Ole, myself. He looked glassy-eyed. It was very very unconvinced, and unconvincing. He was mouthing a well-prepared script. He was like a dodgy politician, trying to say nothing. Nothing negative, all positive. No honesty, no engagment, no passion. This is Official Ole, keeping the job, hoping the lads do well. Never mentioned Sanchez in the list of who might fill the Lukaku-shaped hole. Then when reminded, he is all ears. "...so... thers a striker there that we think will be able to score some goals." Well spotted, Ole.

But listen to this bit... What is he actually trying to say?

"It's not about a quick fix. It's about getting the right people in. It's not time to ... suddenly, in the last three days, change that attitude when you haven't got the right ones, you haven't got the right people, you haven't got the right players, or you haven't got the answers, the correct answers, maybe from the players that you wanted to have. It's like, hmmm".

Hmmm is right. Again-

"...if theres doubt, most of the time there is no doubt, so... then you'd rather trust the ones we have ..."

Yeah.

M Bison

Supports
York City
My experience in situations like this is to be your own worst critics in order to reduce the power of your opponents (media) ammunition. Take control of the narrative and force your critics to defend you instead of the other way around.

- Our results last season was unacceptable and it’s my duty to take us back to where we belong. No excuses.

I’m comfortable with my squad but as you all know we are a little bit thin in midfield and up front. Our transfer window was good but as a manager you always want more, but that’s part of my ambition for this great club.

One of our goals this season is to give our younger players a chance to grow and get experience, we also want healthy competition inside the squad. United has a history of youth and I will continue to follow that tradition.

From now on I will hold all of my players and myself accountable regarding performances and results. The only way to be better is to train hard and improve on a daily basis. I expect all of us to give 100% and make our supporters proud. If we fail to deliver to expectations I will be the first to hold my hand up and take consequences. Manchester United is about winning and will not change that culture.

We need the board and all our great supporters to be behind us. This is a teamwork. United matters to a lot of people around the world and we’re proud to be one of the biggest clubs in football but our most important task is to give our match going fans entertainment and something to be proud about. They support us in good and bad and we have a duty to don’t let them down. Without them we’re nothing.

From now on all focus will be on our next game. We will take one game at time and with that I thank you all for being part of our great journey going forward.
As much as I want to disagree, very well put. Fair do’s.

You should work in PR!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Not bad at all.

SaintMuppet

These press conferences are all show and politics. Managers say what they should not what they want. I’m sure Ole has had his say in private.

I don’t want gossip and bad feeling aired in public. In public I want the illusion everything is lovely and the team is exactly that a ‘Team’. Bitching people out on mainstream tv is not the way to go.

There are a whole bunch of moaning fairy queens on this forum. I’m glad you are not on my team with your negative attitudes. Lord only knows what you will be doing in 5 years time if we have not won anything, which is perfectly possible!!!

Patrick08

Yeah, let’s go back to Jose’s “me,me, me, can’t you understand it’s all about me” mic drop pressers shall we?

:lol::lol::lol:
I didn't like and agree with his selfish attitude and negative bus parking football, but he was but he was right sort of character to push the board and also the players long term.

If ole always defends this boards attitude towards spending he will never get a team strong enough to challenge on all fronts. How long the players in the team can wait for the club to build? They just get annoyed .

Dinghy

Insulting another member

Feck off, puppet.