Solskjær press conference vs dippers (A)

Dread Devil

I can see how you can see it that way. Personnaly I think he saw that he had a squad drained of confidence, not fit to play the football he wanted, and seriously lacking in positions and in character. He also saw the negativity around the club. Mind, he had watched as a ‘fan’ (I think he always followed United with a ‘what would I do as the manager’-perspective tbh) how both Van Gaal and Mourinho pointed out how the players were lacking confidence, and seen the press and SoMe machine always producing negativity, doubt, splitting perspectives about the club, players and managers.

I think he has calculated ways of creating positivity, communionship, pride in the history ogf the club and trust inwards, while simultaneously deflecting critical stories away from the players. Minimizing damage at the cost of at times sounding cheesy, at times boring, at times blinkered to some.most seems to have accepted the general lines of his stories though, at least long enough to be able to produce the changesthat again produces the results that in the end makes a few more people now say ‘ok, he was generally right’. I think the eternal referances to his own carreer goes very much against his personality, he doesn’t like attention to much and he doesn’t like to brag, so when he constantly does it, I think it’s because he thinks the players are in need of something to believe in as a counterweight to all the negativity they get from a loud minority of the fans and a insistant majority of the critical press.
I have always been a fan of Ole’s, I was aghast by Moyes, bored by Van Gaal and so disappointed by Jose.... I have believed in Ole’s ethos from the start....I just feel he came across a little amateurish in press conferences and interviews at the beginning, trying to please everybody....maybe saying too much where as now he talks a lot more but gives little away...and only gives away what he wants to give away...today he mentioned only who definitely wouldn’t be playing...two players who haven’t played in ages...wouldn’t talk about Martial...he has definitely become a little more savvy...

Revaulx

I have always been a fan of Ole’s, I was aghast by Moyes, bored by Van Gaal and so disappointed by Jose.... I have believed in Ole’s ethos from the start....I just feel he came across a little amateurish in press conferences and interviews at the beginning, trying to please everybody....maybe saying too much where as now he talks a lot more but gives little away...and only gives away what he wants to give away...today he mentioned only who definitely wouldn’t be playing...two players who haven’t played in ages...wouldn’t talk about Martial...he has definitely become a little more savvy...
I think the big change has been in his post-match pressers. I appreciate that he felt the need to come across as the anti-Jose, but his constant recycling of generic "lads done great" platitudes through gritted teeth was hard to watch.

These days I find them really interesting; he's completely unafraid to call out aspects of the performance that he's not happy with. That's not just a sign of increased confidence; it's also a sign that he recognises constant improvement on everybody's part is needed. That's really refreshing following three managers who were all, in different ways, stubborn and fossilised.

Dread Devil

I think the big change has been in his post-match pressers. I appreciate that he felt the need to come across as the anti-Jose, but his constant recycling of generic "lads done great" platitudes through gritted teeth was hard to watch.

These days I find them really interesting; he's completely unafraid to call out aspects of the performance that he's not happy with. That's not just a sign of increased confidence; it's also a sign that he recognises constant improvement on everybody's part is needed. That's really refreshing following three managers who were all, in different ways, stubborn and fossilised.
Completely agree with you there....

always_hoping

Taking these press conferences in his stride now. Some of the journalists on the other hand need to stop playing the dumb routines.

pav1790

I think he is very good. That velvet glove is there, but the iron fist is filling it out nicely as the time goes.

He’s rightfully put the pressure on liverpool to win this. It’s their home, they are unbeaten in some four years there. if they lose, given their recent form, they will be in deep trouble. If we lose, he has given us enough cover to keep going. After all, we will be level on points with a home game in hand at the business end of the season. Behind the scenes, he’d be pushing the lads to go do the job.

Jurgen will not have the last - and starkly yellow toothed - laugh in these mindgames. That is for sure.

FatherWolff

Nothing has changed. We are further in the process, and he can now do this. You can’t go out and challenge your players in interviews before you got your own culture instilled. He would loose the dressing room before he was close getting there.. Last year it was impossible to do this, while we had Pereira and Lingard playing as “creators”, and having James and other kids doing a mans job. Now it’s about small tweaks and building on our belief and spirit, as it is now a culture, it’s just a kick in the right direction.

Revaulx

Nothing has changed. We are further in the process, and he can now do this. You can’t go out and challenge your players in interviews before you got your own culture instilled. He would loose the dressing room before he was close getting there.. Last year it was impossible to do this, while we had Pereira and Lingard playing as “creators”, and having James and other kids doing a mans job. Now it’s about small tweaks and building on our belief and spirit, as it is now a culture, it’s just a kick in the right direction.
That’s a shame. I really thought Ole was demonstrating that he was learning on the job; something that his three predecessors had proved to be incapable of.