Solskjær press conference vs dippers (A)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Liverpool preview
“You are always excited to play against teams of that quality and calibre.

For us form goes out of the window. When you go to Anfield it is a big game for the players, for the fans. I am really looking forward to it.”

Samid

League position counts for little
“You don’t get anything for being at the top of the league in January, so it is not a congratulations.

It's not something which matters. It is where you are at the end of the season which matters.”

Samid

Squad strength
“It is a great spirit. We have gained some valuable players with some valuable experience.

Now a few of the signings we have made. Aaron, Dan, Harry. The ones I signed have been here a bit longer and know more about the standards and pressures of being at United. We have become stronger.”

Samid

Big test ahead?
“The next one is always the biggest!

Being where we are in the league gives us more confidence and is a sign of where we are at. The game against the Champions, amazing record at Anfield, it is a great test for us. Can we go there and cause an upset?”

Samid

Would failing to win the league be a disappointment?
“I don’t think about where we are going to end up. We have ambitions of winning every game, glad players think that way. We are doing something right. For us it is a chance to test us and see where we are really at.”

Samid

Concern over Klopp comments about officials?
“I don’t think it is my place to give the officials any advice. They are good at what they are doing and it is not something I think about at all.

I have got a lot of respect for Jurgen and have not experienced that at all.”

Samid

Team news latest
“Well we have as many injuries as them! That is just how football is. I will give everyone tomorrow to prove their fitness. Couple of knocks we got at Burnley that I’m not sure about.

For us form goes out of the window when you play your rivals. We are confident. We are the challengers, they are the champions. Our mentality will be to work hard, to be humble and see what we can get out of the game.”

Samid

Difficulty of defending a Premier League title
“It was always the biggest game for teams to play United when I was there.

That will always be the case against teams who have been successful. Everyone wants to be the champion - and to beat them.

They have earned the right to be looked up to. We go there with the knowledge we have to play to our best. “

Samid

Solskjaer stands by earlier upset comments
“If you look at the last few seasons it would be an upset and be a shock.

Our position at the moment is product of all our hard work. We deserve to be where we are at the moment, but not many would have thought of another word than an upset if you had said it six weeks ago.”

Samid

Closed the gap on Liverpool?
“We are a better side now than a year ago. We lost that game to a Van Dijk header and a counter-attack on the last attack of the game on our corner. We were not a million miles away. That is a missed perception.

Of course the league position we are competitive. It is a tighter season this year. Last few years have been two teams running away with it by end of October! We are in it at half way.”

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Big test ahead?
“The next one is always the biggest!

Being where we are in the league gives us more confidence and is a sign of where we are at. The game against the Champions, amazing record at Anfield, it is a great test for us. Can we go there and cause an upset?”
"cause an upset"

Mind play? Trying to downplay our position as favourites (in some eyes)?

Like the response re Klopp/refs. Doesn't give anyone ammunition to moan back.

Like the comment about injuries ("same").

Very calculated is Ole. With occasional phrase to make a quiet point (i.e. the injuries comment).

✔

Samid

Could United win signal a power shift?
“I think every team goes into every game thinking they can win it. We know we can beat anyone or any given day. To be able to go into the game like this feeling that if play our best we can win is a good feeling.

We don’t think about the consequences. It is a test and a reality check.”

Samid

Told players not to celebrate any goal together?
“I think we all know the situation we are in and to keep to the guidelines and rules.

I can’t promise anything, but if the players can control themselves that is the best now. Then again football is about football and instant moments

I can’t say anything but we have spoken about it and our duties. We are role models, we will do our best, let’s hope we get one!”

Samid

Anthony Martial latest
“I am going to give everyone a chance. Anthony is not out of it.

Only ones certainly out are Brandon and Phil Jones - they are the two definitely can’t make the game. Others maybe doubts, but fingers crossed.”

Samid

Mentality switch now you're top?
“For me I would rather be on top with the points than chasing. We are the challengers, the hunters. It is a long season. They are the champions, the ones who everyone would like to beat.

Our mentality and mindset will be that we need that extra edge. Any little detail can decide one of these games. We have definitely thought we are at the top with everyone chasing us.”

Samid

Lack of fans could benefit United
“I think football and the results in general have shown how important the fans are. We have not lost away in the league since Anfield last year - that is a lot to the fans not being there.

It is not home or away advantage. Compared to normal it is a bit of an advantage, it is not just a cliche that you need your supporters.”

GoldTrafford99

I just love Ole.

Another mature and measured appearance in front of the press....

None of this immature Klopp-baiting nonsense.

Gator Nate

I just love Ole.

Another mature and measured appearance in front of the press....

None of this immature Klopp-baiting nonsense.
Every single week.

Doesn't moan about conditions, doesn't make overt jabs at the other squad or their manager (he does make some great covert ones, thought), and never, ever, throws his players or the organization under the bus.

I think what I love most is how he won't take the bait from leading questions and frequently turns it around, though always in a polite way.

hubbuh

I liked the way he shut down the second question re. celebrating for being 1st in January. It's becoming a bit of a big deal and we have to hope that the players don't get ahead of themselves with all the ridiculous fanfare going on.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He handles himself extremely well in pressers.

Not that it matters or anything - but he really does.

Can I say that I feckin' love this guy? Is that allowed?

If he actually achieves something with United, I'll be...you know, it would be just about perfect in every way.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He says things without saying them which is great. He makes his point/responds to other managers‘ claims without accusing them directly or getting into needless fights/discussions with/about them.

TrustInOle

No nonsense, gets straight to the point every time, love it. I am so giddy for this weekend. Full throttle in love with this team and back them all the way.

rotherham_red

He handles himself extremely well in pressers.

Not that it matters or anything - but he really does.

Can I say that I feckin' love this guy? Is that allowed?

If he actually achieves something with United, I'll be...you know, it would be just about perfect in every way.
Mate, you're telling me...!! :drool:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mate, you're telling me...!! :drool:
It's been said before - but it's very refreshing to have a fully likeable fecker as the manager of United.

I didn't mind Moyes on principle (but he was dull as feck and hardly charming).

I didn't mind LVG on principle (but even though he was potentially charming, he mainly came across as a bit of a twat).

I didn't mind José on principle (but...whatever - José and all that).

Dread Devil

I haven’t always enjoyed his press conferences but he is getting better and better all the time, quite subtle, never reactionary and always in control..for instance, I am sure he did get some texts about us being top. He handled that question really well.

FatherWolff

I haven’t always enjoyed his press conferences but he is getting better and better all the time, quite subtle, never reactionary and always in control..for instance, I am sure he did get some texts about us being top. He handled that question really well.
He has been the same all the time.. The difference is now we are in a better position, and It translates to more people. Not only us who understand him at the beginning.

Last edited:

United58

“I don’t think it is my place to give the officials any advice. They are good at what they are doing and it is not something I think about at all.

:drool: Klopp was expecting more!

city-puma

I admire how he shows his charming character. It’s right to produce the underdog mentality.

Dread Devil

He has been the same all the time.. The difference is now we are in a better position, and It translates to more people. Not only is who understand him at the beginning.
I disagree, at the beginning he was a little insecure, too much of a fan and blurting out rhetoric...I feel he is more assured now and choosing his words a little more carefully...he is growing into the job obviously

Grande

I disagree, at the beginning he was a little insecure, too much of a fan and blurting out rhetoric...I feel he is more assured now and choosing his words a little more carefully...he is growing into the job obviously
I can see how you can see it that way. Personnaly I think he saw that he had a squad drained of confidence, not fit to play the football he wanted, and seriously lacking in positions and in character. He also saw the negativity around the club. Mind, he had watched as a ‘fan’ (I think he always followed United with a ‘what would I do as the manager’-perspective tbh) how both Van Gaal and Mourinho pointed out how the players were lacking confidence, and seen the press and SoMe machine always producing negativity, doubt, splitting perspectives about the club, players and managers.

I think he has calculated ways of creating positivity, communionship, pride in the history ogf the club and trust inwards, while simultaneously deflecting critical stories away from the players. Minimizing damage at the cost of at times sounding cheesy, at times boring, at times blinkered to some.most seems to have accepted the general lines of his stories though, at least long enough to be able to produce the changesthat again produces the results that in the end makes a few more people now say ‘ok, he was generally right’. I think the eternal referances to his own carreer goes very much against his personality, he doesn’t like attention to much and he doesn’t like to brag, so when he constantly does it, I think it’s because he thinks the players are in need of something to believe in as a counterweight to all the negativity they get from a loud minority of the fans and a insistant majority of the critical press.

DeGea

He is very very good at managing the media and the press conferences - a sign that he understands the psychological and mental aspect of the game very well which is extremely important. He chooses his words very carefully, he shuts down stupid "trap" questions and uses it to his advantage to keep his players' feet on the ground/motivate them. It's as if he uses the pressers as a team talk for his team and a tool to steer the overall psychological/mental direction of the team/club in the right direction.

Very impressive indeed.

RedDevil@84

Meanwhile Klopp has been reading what media said, what Clattenburg said, etc etc.