Solskjær press conference vs Everton (A)

deadrevelz

:lol:

Christ. The state of this place and you.
Says the staff who runs it. :rolleyes:

Notice you didn't reply to any of the points I made, because as usual you have nothing to contribute. We literally finished 7th in 2013 and we had a better squad then.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Says the staff who runs it. :rolleyes:

Notice you didn't reply to any of the points I made, because as usual you have nothing to contribute. We literally finished 7th in 2013 and we had a better squad then.
I've no inclination to debate with anyone who think there's a slight possibility that we'll sell both Pogba and De Gea and then only sign two players. It's a very stupid assumption.

deadrevelz

I've no inclination to debate with anyone who think there's a slight possibility that we'll sell both Pogba and De Gea and then only sign two players. It's a very stupid assumption.
You apparently don't know what the word assumption means, so I think I'll leave it here...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Renewing players is protecting your assets, we don't want them to leave for free, mainly financial reasoning behind most of the renewals.
or simply we don't want to spend a lot. I won't be surprised if the likes of Jones and the failed winger now fullback would still be at OT next season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You apparently don't know what the word assumption means, so I think I'll leave it here...
The problem is you've based an argument on a wild assumption. You read a throwaway statement from the manager "we might be 1 or 2 players this summer" and treated it as gospel. Not quite finished there, you preceded to throw the sales of DDG and Martial into the mix as if to add weight to your argument.

Why don't wait until the summers transfer activity is done and dusted before you build largely false conclusions?

Canagel

:confused: Mourinho came 2nd last season and unless you have some kind of time machine you have no idea where Mourinho would finish this season.
Mourinho was leading us to the comfortable mid table along side watford, everton (they made big investments too) and Bournemouth.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The problem is you've based an argument on a wild assumption. You read a throwaway statement from the manager "we might be 1 or 2 players this summer" and treated it as gospel. Not quite finished there, you preceded to throw the sales of DDG and Martial into the mix as if to add weight to your argument.

Why don't wait until the summers transfer activity is done and dusted before you build a largely false conclusion?
Not Martial mate, he added in Pogba :lol:

I mean I'm regularly surprised by human intelligence but I genuinely can't believe that there exists a person who believes that we'll sell Pogba and De Gea and then only sign two players.

devilish

AWB, Toby and a CM, with Greenwood, Garner, Chong and Tuanzebe promoted? It’s not spectacular like most on here seem to want, but I’d be happy with that. Too much noise around Fernandes at the moment for that one not to be happening. And I can see you being right with your suggestions as to what we do with the RW position.
If that's the case then he'll be sacked by January

Then someone else will come and pretty much say the same things.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not Martial mate, he added in Pogba :lol:

I mean I'm regularly surprised by human intelligence but I genuinely can't believe that there exists a person who believes that we'll sell Pogba and De Gea and then only sign two players.
My mistake.

He's not the only one in this thread doing it either. I honestly don't know if they believe this stuff or they're simply looking for a reason to moan. Neither would surprise me.

deadrevelz

Why don't wait until the summers transfer activity is done and dusted before you build largely false conclusions?
I literally never said that we would do that. I didn't mention Martial. And I don't believe that we will do any of those things and finish 7th. You and the resident idiot who responded took an out of context innocuous comment about my frustrations with the club and ran with it. So in response I listed a few 'worst case scenario' ideas that could in fact lead to us coming 7th. I assume that the people laughing were also laughing at the idea of us finishing 7th in 2014. And laughing at the idea of us being 6/7th in December this year on negative goal difference. I don't think it will happen, but saying it's impossible is moronic.
99.9% of my posts on here are defending the players and Ole and believing that we will do a fair amount of transfers in and out over the summer. But people would rather be smug and condescending than debate, so that fact passed you two by. Never mind... :)

Hawks2008

Not really buying the whole "no where to hide" stuff as long as Ole continues to let certain players stink out the place. Rashford, Young, Lingard, Martial can all do no wrong but the second someone like Lukaku or Bailly or Dalot make a mistake they are off. We will see what his words are worth in the summer.

Apparently there is somewhere to hide when the likes of Jones and Young have new contracts.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I literally never said that we would do that. I didn't mention Martial. And I don't believe that we will do any of those things and finish 7th. You and the resident idiot who responded took an out of context innocuous comment about my frustrations with the club and ran with it. So in response I listed a few 'worst case scenario' ideas that could in fact lead to us coming 7th. I assume that the people laughing were also laughing at the idea of us finishing 7th in 2014. And laughing at the idea of us being 6/7th in December this year on negative goal difference. I don't think it will happen, but saying it's impossible is moronic.
99.9% of my posts on here are defending the players and Ole and believing that we will do a fair amount of transfers in and out over the summer. But people would rather be smug and condescending than debate, so that fact passed you two by. Never mind... :)
There is no need for name calling, it's just petty and will get you nowhere fast :)

My intention was not to appear smug, rather to point out that the argument you are making is based entirely on false information (the sales of Pogba and DDG) and a throwaway statement from the manager.

Just wait until the summer is over before you air your grievances. That's all I'm saying.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Actually think that's maybe Ole's best presser.

Will be very interesting to see his starting line-up at the weekend, as surely they'll be changes.
I tend to agree.

Honeymoon over and he appears more realistic and less euphoric while still retaining the amiable persona of the early stages . This was always where the present Utd side is;able to see off mid table fodder,capable of beating anyone in the top 6 but not good enough to challenge for the PL. We're only 3-4 points off 3rd which shows the gap the top 2 have opened up but hes aware it's not good enough and it's time players stood up or they can find another club.

Sentient Meat

The key to this is if Ole will be able to recruit world class players to replace those who don't respond to his challenges. That is why I advocated for Jose and Zidane.
I like Ole and he sounds like an intelligent man, but if he can't adequately draw the talent then he becomes a relative liability. Jose might have been a toxic prick if the team was underperforming, but at least he could keep refilling the team.

Matst1

or simply we don't want to spend a lot. I won't be surprised if the likes of Jones and the failed winger now fullback would still be at OT next season.
More so for Young, I think his 1 year extension was mainly for his personality in the dressing room, I think he’s good with the kids etc. Jones was more of a financial thing, if someone like Everton came for him, we’d have no problem selling for a fairly decent fee, I reckon.

Sterling Archer

The key to this is if Ole will be able to recruit world class players to replace those who don't respond to his challenges. That is why I advocated for Jose and Zidane.
I like Ole and he sounds like an intelligent man, but if he can't adequately draw the talent then he becomes a relative liability. Jose might have been a toxic prick if the team was underperforming, but at least he could keep refilling the team.
When he talks about hiring the right players with the right fit for the club, that automatically excludes the players that would turn down Manchester United because a club legend, albeit less experienced, is there instead of say Jose or Zidane. We want players that think they can come here and become legends themselves. Not stars looking to collect trophies by default.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Didn't Jose said something like this and was trashed because of that?
Anyway, i hope that Ole has Ed's support in this. Our players really need to grow up
Jose implied this but was trashed because he made the players feel shit, he also called out players by name in public!
Ole did say that he has spoken to the squad. He's being largely positive without trashing them

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We don't need a time machine to see where Mourinho would've finished. We already know he finished with his P45.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He hasn't singled out Martial at all. The interviewee asked about Martial so he replied like that but said in the next paragraph the same applies to rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez too.
It's classic media trickery isn't it.

They specifically ask a manager about something, the manager answers, and then the journo blows it up to be some huge story as if the manager has just come out with as a big confrontation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
so his "1 or 2 players" quote after barca looks more like reality now.
I'd much prefer he talks about a small amount of players, and then buys more, than the ludicrous big talk briefings of other years.

red_de_pologne

I'd much prefer he talks about a small amount of players, and then buys more, than the ludicrous big talk briefings of other years.
Yes, sure. However there's genuine concern we will have a relatively quiet summer when we're clearly quickly falling behind other top 4 contenders, who will also strengthen. I can't imagine a transfer window where we get rid of 3-4 players and sign 2 and be much better off. If that's a class right winger and a class central midfielder we'll still have a defence well below our rivals. If we add a right back and a CM we still will be impotent from the right wing and so on. I know we can't have a major overhaul in one window, but we need 4 signings minimum and we're more or less being told that it's not happening.

The most worrying is how we backtracked from appointing a DoF, I'd be happy with lesser amount of signings if I knew we started a long term strategy but it looks like we made a full circle and are back at a situation where board hope Ole will do the job Moyes was supposed to do.

Last edited:

devilish

More so for Young, I think his 1 year extension was mainly for his personality in the dressing room, I think he’s good with the kids etc. Jones was more of a financial thing, if someone like Everton came for him, we’d have no problem selling for a fairly decent fee, I reckon.
The problem with that is that we don't really need to give Jones a long term contract to sell him to Everton + Young is more shot than the Romanov family. Such decisions doesn't inspire me with confidence regarding our ambition. Jones should have left long ago and Young should be allowed to retire.

Matst1

The problem with that is that we don't really need to give Jones a long term contract to sell him to Everton + Young is more shot than the Romanov family. Such decisions doesn't inspire me with confidence regarding our ambition. Jones should have left long ago and Young should be allowed to retire.
Yeah I mostly agree, I just hope what I say is the case because surely, especially with Young, they see these types of players are not good enough. I actually think this will be a “Gary Neville” defining last season for Ashly, where realizes his legs have gone and needs to quit

Tarrou

I think solsjaer needs a reality check if he thinks young, Jones and smalling are good enough for man utd.
he probably doesn't, and I'd go as far as saying he definitely doesn't think Jones and Young are, but that is what he has to work with. We can't replace everyone in one go

we might bring bring four in which pushes four current first XI players to squad player status, and 4 leave

then next few windows he'll make some more moves to get even closer to his desired squad

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Neither extension are an issue unless they're regular starters next season.

If either are, we're in massive trouble.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At first read the average fan will look at his comments and think 'oh but Mourinho was saying that why is Ole allowed to say that now'. The difference is delivery. Communication. Human emotion. Man management. Four things that Mourinho was very very poor at. Actually so poor that it shadows all of his genius football tactical expertise.

It's one thing to identify a problem but how you manage it is what separates you. It doesn't take a genius to learn about our player's attitudes but lets now see how Ole handles some of the more 'important' players in this case. Mourinho tried and was ultimately forced out of the club.

Web of Bissaka

:devil: Cool interview. Said the right thing again.

But it's just words.
What he do afterwards to what he may be implying are what matters.

Could either be empty words, or, genuine warnings to the players and signs of the other things he said which we may expect soon enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Genius psychology, as now all the players "should" be hell bent on proving that they're not the ones who need the reality check!
Yep. I remember Fergie used to do something very similar. At pre season in a squad meeting he had an envelope and said “I’ve wrote down the name of 3 players that I think will let me down this year, it’s up to you to prove me wrong”.

No wonder he kept people on their toes. Think ole is trying the same, not NAMING people, but deep down the players will think “am I really trying hard enough? Could I do more?”

Bwuk

He’s saying what Jose said.

It’s clear there’s an attitude issue with this squad. I don’t think Jose could fix it, but I’m hoping Ole can.

buckooo1978

agree with the sentiment of what Ole has said and I think we will see a new kind of United. One that chases young talent rather than Bale etc.....

Ole has already made changes to the culture of the club. We are an attacking team again and we try to win games.

everyone knows the fundamental reasons why we've failed in recent years and you can see it in the last 6 weeks. Unfit squad, players on big wages not contributing anything players who can be sublime one week, shite the next, players who only play well in a few games every three months, players who are clearly past it etc....

the holes in our squad are easily identifiable and Solskjaer hasn't an easy task if he is relying on Woodward to acquire his targets. This baffles me really and our inability to get a DoF or Technical Director is ridiculous

Woodward has been incapable of selling Darmian the last 2 Summers so I've little confidence in him clearing deadwood and buying the players we need

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
Having read most of the above comments my thoughts are this:

The only reason Ole got the job was that he was able to provide a temporary reprieve and an almost fake belief that things had turned around at the Club.

I like most posters on this forum agree that there is a core group of players that definitely should not be at this great Club. But unfortunately, that number is too big to displace in one Summer.

We do not have the financial resources that City have access to nor do we have a Manager that can be as ruthless as he needs to be in culling certain players and bringing in those to raise the quality.

I'm not saying Ole wouldn't be ruthless I'm just suggesting he doesn't have the financial backing nor direction from the Board to make the decisions that need to be made to implement the necessary changes.

In Ole, what we do have (and have been purposely given by the Club) is a PR Machine.

His 13 game streak was a dream come true for the hierarchy.

His JOB is to be POSITIVE, talk about the United Way remind everyone of past glories and getting supporters dreaming again.

That's his role. That's what he is being paid to do.

He has been given clear instructions to "work with what you've got, get some decent results (Top 4) to keep the punters happy and we'll be fine".

In the Club's view, his best value is that of a Spin Doctor.

I, unfortunately, am not buying it. You won't be seeing me get up at 3:30 am to watch the shyte this Squad delivers anymore.

After the PSG game, the "OFF" switch came "on" for both the players and the Manager.

Ole got what he wanted "his dream Job" the players got a Manager that will do what the Club tells him to do. (how else do you explain the contract extensions that were offered?).

croadyman

Only one or two signings would be a disgrace though. I'd be happy with four.
Yeah totally agree because needs to be a minimum of four signings. Any less than that is going to leave us well short again