Solskjær press conference vs Leicester

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Managers are there to manage the team not to find new talent. That requires a different skill set and ample time to scout, talk to agents and to analyse the attitude of the targets in question. Meanwhile CEOs like Woodward are experts in numbers and marketing not football

Our biggest issue is the huge void that exists between the manager and the money guys. We have people who are messing into areas they know little or nothing about. That leads to bad decisions and inefficiency
Eventually the manager needs to decide what's lacking from his team. What position he wants to buy, which player suits his need, what type of player he wants.

He can have someone helping him with potential targets but at the end of the day he's the cook and the captain.

It's a zero sum game. If someone is making the decision that'll mean someone isnt.

Say ole wants longstaff and the board wants kroos. Who do you listen to if you're ed? At one point someone have to outrank the other and made the call.

We'll be in the bigger mess if the one that outranks the other is stupider than the one he outranks

Mainoldo

Not really. A board is also human. We're just shifting the responsible from one man to another. I dont think even a board full of footballing sages like saf, Neville, wenger rolled into one can pick the right horse.

For the board to pick a winner they must be lucky with their pick, or has the foresight of a divine being.

If 6 years ago saf was made as dof everybody would have agreed he's the go to man to choose the next united manager. We all know how he ended up with moyes.

In regards with city i think it's the other way around. Txisi is peps extension, and not the other way around. Tsixi didnt set pep how to play or who to buy. More like pep instructed him to set up the structure 1 year prior to his arrival.

For a dof or technical board to success they'll have to be better and wiser than the manager they employ. If the manager is wiser anything the board does will only hampers him. Can you imagine if we set up a board to tell fergie what to do? Who to buy? It'll only hamper fergie. It hampers brendan and rafael benitez at liverpool.

I believe football is simple, appoint the right man to run things. Manager is the simplest way. Appoint a good one and let him lead. We just havent find the right one.

A new owner or ceo will still wont make ole becomes twice as good a manager. This things works in tandem, you install a good manager you trust, and include him in the rebuilt, set up a coach that knows what to do, let him coordinate with our scouts and at the end of the day he'll be the decision maker. Not other way around.
So simple but so hard to grasp by what seems to be every Man United fan in the world. They get shocked when a boards aim is to make money but forget there are 18 teams in the league with similar thinking boards. I mean Leicester got £80m for Maguire and blew it on who?? But yet Rodgers will get on with it and coach.

ash_86

So simple but so hard to grasp by what seems to be every Man United fan in the world. They get shocked when a boards aim is to make money but forget there are 18 teams in the league with similar thinking boards. I mean Leicester got £80m for Maguire and blew it on who?? But yet Rodgers will get on with it and coach.
Why is it hard to understand that we question our board for the appalling footballing decisions they have made year after year and not just the money?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Very good point... highlights the excuses made for having a lower level coach.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Eventually the manager needs to decide what's lacking from his team. What position he wants to buy, which player suits his need, what type of player he wants.

He can have someone helping him with potential targets but at the end of the day he's the cook and the captain.

It's a zero sum game. If someone is making the decision that'll mean someone isnt.

Say ole wants longstaff and the board wants kroos. Who do you listen to if you're ed? At one point someone have to outrank the other and made the call.

We'll be in the bigger mess if the one that outranks the other is stupider than the one he outranks
Football has changed alot in the past 30 years. The time when a manager would join a club with the aim to stay there until retirement is over. Neither manager nor the club would want that. That means that managers these days don't walk around with an entire entourage of people with different skill sets to cover every football related part of football (ex coaching, scouting etc). The manager's role is that of managing the squad through a well defined and usually short period of time. You wouldn't want these people to decide your transfer's strategy as they would, most likely opt, for either people who'll guarantee them instant success or people they can trust over other more important aspects such as talent, potential and attitude. That was quite clear during LVG's and Mou's reign. We often went for players only that particular manager rated only to become deadwood once that particular manager leaves. Often those same players who promised to shed blood for their manager would suddenly lose interest towards the club once their protector leaves. Lukaku for example changed tune from encouraging people to man up (pre Mourinho) to beg Inter to save him from us (post Mourinho).

United has a long and rich history. However there's no denying that we are basically a two manager's clubs (Sir Matt and Sir Alex). Meanwhile clubs like Real, Bayern and Juventus keep on being successful decade after decade, irrespective of whose the manager is. If we wish to become like them then we need to invest heavily on our board and stop relying on the manager to sort everything.

Also note that if you're completely incompetent you don't usually get a job with a club like United. Thus people tend to be very strong in some areas while weak in some other areas. Take Woodward as an example. The guy has no clue about football but he's a money generating machine. Now the beauty of hiring staff to do a specific job is that one can focus on what he knows best while leaving the rest to other people. Not to forget that under such circumstances its easy to identify whose messing up. If for example a team is tactically perfect but the new signings are simply not up to standard then its evident that its not the manager's fault. However if the entire team is playing shit then its evident that the issue isn't recruitment but the manager.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Football has changed alot in the past 30 years. The time when a manager would join a club with the aim to stay there until retirement is over. Neither manager nor the club would want that. That means that managers these days don't walk around with an entire entourage of people with different skill sets to cover every football related part of football (ex coaching, scouting etc). The manager's role is that of managing the squad through a well defined and usually short period of time. You wouldn't want these people to decide your transfer's strategy as they would, most likely opt, for either people who'll guarantee them instant success or people they can trust over other more important aspects such as talent, potential and attitude. That was quite clear during LVG's and Mou's reign. We often went for players only that particular manager rated only to become deadwood once that particular manager leaves. Often those same players who promised to shed blood for their manager would suddenly lose interest towards the club once their protector leaves. Lukaku for example changed tune from encouraging people to man up (pre Mourinho) to beg Inter to save him from us (post Mourinho).

United has a long and rich history. However there's no denying that we are basically a two manager's clubs (Sir Matt and Sir Alex). Meanwhile clubs like Real, Bayern and Juventus keep on being successful decade after decade, irrespective of whose manager is. If we wish to become like them then we need to invest heavily on our board and stop relying on the manager to sort everything.

Also you don't usually get a job with a club like United if you're completely incompetent. Thus people tend to be very strong in some areas while weak in some other areas. Take Woodward as an example. The guy has no clue about football but he's a money generating machine. The beauty of hiring staff to do a specific job is that one can focus on what he knows best while leaving the rest to other people. Not to forget that under such circumstances its easy to identify whose messing up. If for example a team is tactically perfect but the new signings are simply not up to standard then its evident that its not the manager's fault. However if the entire team is playing shit then its evident that the issue isn't recruitment but the manager.

Fair enough if you put it that way

devilish

Fair enough if you put it that way
Also just because the club has a Football CEO, a top DOF and a head of recruitment that doesn't mean that they won't consult with the manager. Actually if they don't listen to the manager's opinion then they are incompetent. What these people would usually do is to understand what type of player the manager wants and then they would identify and sign the right man. The manager simply lack the time and expertise to scout multiple leagues to find such player. If for example Ole wants Longstaff and Newcastle are asking silly money for him then rather then not signing anyone, these people might find a good alternative on a realistic fee.

UnitedChampionsAgain

So at this rate of injuries by Xmas we'll have used up the youth team as well, then into the womens squad. Any decent play makers amongst the girls? Can't be any worse than what we have now..

Mainoldo

Why is it hard to understand that we question our board for the appalling footballing decisions they have made year after year and not just the money?
Like everyone other fan in the league that isn’t City or Liverpool.

Maybe you should understand we are run no different to anyone else. We just was brought off debt.

NJM78

So loads of injuries, no sight of the youth just “experienced” (at being rubbish week in week out) players to play instead. Good times.

I went for a draw thinking we would have the first 11 fit. Go with a defeat now. This season is a shocker already.

meninred

I think this is a very good test for Ole.also whether we cop up without Pogba.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

United has a long and rich history. However there's no denying that we are basically a two manager's clubs (Sir Matt and Sir Alex). Meanwhile clubs like Real, Bayern and Juventus keep on being successful decade after decade, irrespective of whose the manager is. If we wish to become like them then we need to invest heavily on our board and stop relying on the manager to sort everything.

Also note that if you're completely incompetent you don't usually get a job with a club like United. Thus people tend to be very strong in some areas while weak in some other areas. Take Woodward as an example. The guy has no clue about football but he's a money generating machine. Now the beauty of hiring staff to do a specific job is that one can focus on what he knows best while leaving the rest to other people. Not to forget that under such circumstances its easy to identify whose messing up. If for example a team is tactically perfect but the new signings are simply not up to standard then its evident that its not the manager's fault. However if the entire team is playing shit then its evident that the issue isn't recruitment but the manager.
Great post! Bayern is another club that seems to do a great job of player continuity thanks to the board, SAF pointed them out as a great system full of former players.

United had a chance post SAF to use sheer wealth to transition the club into one that doesn't need a legendary manger to success, a chance spurned. I feel like the club is stuck in the past with their entire approach to the football side of things. Honestly, I feel it's been a textbook case of mismanagement by the board.

Denis79

Leicester don't have the same expectations as us, can't compare unless our board has shifted the clubs ambitions, which wouldn't surprise me at all tbh, let's just aspire to make top 4 on a regular basis and make a profit instead of gambling a lot of money and try to be the best.

Devil may care

The injury news is obviously bad but the comments below were the enthusiasm killer.

Players need to step up
Well, you’ve got players who can come in with loads of experience, Juan (Mata), Nemanja (Matic) and Ash (Young) who didn’t start the first game and ave got to step up and the average age might go up.

:(

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's talking about Young and Matic stepping up.

What happened to giving youth a chance?

devilish

Great post! Bayern is another club that seems to do a great job of player continuity thanks to the board, SAF pointed them out as a great system full of former players.

United had a chance post SAF to use sheer wealth to transition the club into one that doesn't need a legendary manger to success, a chance spurned. I feel like the club is stuck in the past with their entire approach to the football side of things. Honestly, I feel it's been a textbook case of mismanagement by the board.
We can't copy Bayern's system perfectly since most of our former players have no clue about football. The likes of Gaz, Scholes and Robson all had their chances and blew it miserably. However we can copy Juventus system. There is a former player acting as vice president and whose surrounded by people with the right experience in their role. I'd say VDS would be perfect alongside the likes of campos and Mitchell

devilish

Spurs play Son, the same way we will play Rashford for Martial. If Salah is injured it will be Origi that comes in. The rest of their teams are far better than us which means that they can get away with it but they aren't stacked with quality like for like back ups. City maybe but that's another level to us.
Rashford is more of an Origi then a Salah though. We are stacked with players in first team who should be squad players at best. If you take Martial and Pogba out of the equation then our midfield and forward line is mid tier club level at best

devilish

All of this is on Ed,

Zero forward-planning from Day 1 he took the job, he's not a football man, so why is he still here?

Every decision has so short-sighted and lacking in any kind of vision. Pep would fail under him because he would not the players he needs, only players that Ed thinks will sell shirts in China.

I feel for Ole, we'll never know what he can do because he has both hands tied behind his back. The fans won't hear it though, they'll want him sacked.
That's BS. Sure Woodward is clueless however I very much doubt that the Chinese are obsessed with Daniel James or longstaff

Also we know what Ole can do. He messed up big time at Cardiff and he spent the past 5 years with Molde winning nothing. The guy hasn't won the league since 2012 and that despite competing at semi amateur level. Yet we think he can lead the rebuild with Manchester united

Eoin McMahon

Would be very funny if we (luckily) hammer Leicester in Pogba's absence. :D
We hammered Chelsea with him so I can't see why he would be singled out as from the many players missing. I'm sure it would be hilarious though and I suppose if we get hammered then it would be very funny it was in his absence too.

Ban

We can't copy Bayern's system perfectly since most of our former players have no clue about football. The likes of Gaz, Scholes and Robson all had their chances and blew it miserably. However we can copy Juventus system. There is a former player acting as vice president and whose surrounded by people with the right experience in their role. I'd say VDS would be perfect alongside the likes of campos and Mitchell
:lol:
Sorry devilish, couldn't help it.

Eoin McMahon

I believe you, don't let me down.
Will be a tough game today and we're not even favorites which shows how our season is going at the moment. All I want to see from this team is improvement and even if we dont get a result today we can build on the positives.
This season is going to be a work in progress that I feel will looking to next season and building a team that can challenge in the next few years. For now though we must be patient and stand by our club.

Ban

Will be a tough game today and we're not even favorites which shows how our season is going at the moment. All I want to see from this team is improvement and even if we dont get a result today we can build on the positives.
This season is going to be a work in progress that I feel will looking to next season and building a team that can challenge in the next few years. For now though we must be patient and stand by our club.
Agree. I just don't trust the board in making any rebuild or anything like it.

Eoin McMahon

Agree. I just don't trust the board in making any rebuild or anything like it.
Neither do I and I don't Ole will be trusted to either. The board have finally decided to take time in rebuilding the squad and the clearout this summer and the lack of signings indicate that this season will be a stopgap until a manager like Pochettino or Klopp becomes available or unless Ole shows us he can take this team forward.

norm87cro

The press are all over us aren't they? Lots of same old stuff from Ole and the De Gea situation is not helping either. Looked nervous and bothered