Solskjær press conference vs Palace (H)

UncleBob

Regardless of what Ole chooses to say publicly, I really hope Rashford is our undisputed penalty taker now. Maximizing the likelihood of scoring the penalties awarded to Manchester United is more important than seeing Pogba score a penalty for Manchester United again :rolleyes:
Christ :lol:

Aye, Pogba has been one of the designated penalty takes simply because it's important to see him score penalties

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You betray your prejudices, my friend. You have no information except your own assumptions about how capable Greta is of making decisions for herself (she seems very self-possessed to me) or whether her mother or "other political activist" put pressure on her.

All of that is pure projection based on your own narrow-mindedness. It is probably a surprise to you but disabled people have autonomy too. They don't need you to tell them what's good for them! And Greta's mum is certainly better placed to judge if her child can cope than a dim-wit Caftard. And you have the gall to accuse the mother of a disabled child who is doing something amazing (whether you agree with her or not, the act itself is remarkable) of indulging in "child abuse". Who do you think you are?

Seriously, get over yourself. You obviously don't know much about anything, so maybe stick to football where we are all dumb as doorknobs and your idiot opinions won't make you stand out in the crowd?
@7even guys take it to another thread.

Rish Sawhney

You betray your prejudices, my friend. You have no information except your own assumptions about how capable Greta is of making decisions for herself (she seems very self-possessed to me) or whether her mother or "other political activist" put pressure on her.

All of that is pure projection based on your own narrow-mindedness. It is probably a surprise to you but disabled people have autonomy too. They don't need you to tell them what's good for them! And Greta's mum is certainly better placed to judge if her child can cope than a dim-wit Caftard. And you have the gall to accuse the mother of a disabled child who is doing something amazing (whether you agree with her or not, the act itself is remarkable) of indulging in "child abuse". Who do you think you are?

Seriously, get over yourself. You obviously don't know much about anything, so maybe stick to football where we are all dumb as doorknobs and your idiot opinions won't make you stand out in the crowd?
Yes as opposed to a 15 year old who's an expert in climate science somehow. If my mum took my 15 year old sister and pushed her into political consciousness I'd be pissed at her. Regardless of how much into it she seems. This is like a vegan cat - we all know who's making the decisions expect the people who's politics she aligns with in that case she's the most important bravest person ever.

PS. Regardless, this isn't the thread for this. Move it over to Current Affairs.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
@7even guys take it to another thread.
Yes off course. Sorry for pollution the thread with off topic issues.

Regarding the presser it was probably the best I have heard from Ole Gunnar this season. No drama only none controversial answers about everything and nothing. May it continue.

MrBrightside1989

Ole the pinnacle of calmness and not getting drawn into creating headlines like his predecessors. Man Utd will also draw headlines and click bait as the size of the fan base alone makes the most trivial things news. Hopefully a man like OGS is what we need to keep focussed, he always seems sincere and genuine and I like the way he talks so candidly about big issues such as the racism and how he tries to deflate and deflect things away from the players.

Cliche Guevara

in the press conference posted on page 3:

From around 7:40 to 7:55, what was he refering to?

"Maybe until.... yeah"
Lukaku.

It was a reference back to the earlier question about what Lukaku was recently reported to have said. Although the interview was apparently recorded whilst he was still at United.

UncleBob

Lukaku.

It was a reference back to the earlier question about what Lukaku was recently reported to have said. Although the interview was apparently recorded whilst he was still at United.
Parts of it, according to Ole

Embargoed quotes

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
On advising players to ignore their notifications
You become thick-skinned playing football and being high-profile, as our players are. Apart from using common sense, sometimes you've just got to turn a blind eye to it. We know that these people are not the majority, it's a few select ones who hide behind a mask.

You don't have to read [the comments]. You don't have to read every single one. When I spoke to Paul I didn't get the feeling that he struggled with it. He’d not been sat down reading a lot.

Some, and I think Paul is one of them, get stronger from criticism. I enjoyed criticism but when it gets personal and when it gets to race then it’s a different thing. There’s a certain point, a limit. I don’t think anyone can just get abused and then be stronger of course.

Samid

On being on Twitter himself
"I wouldn't be on social media [if Solskjaer was a player]. I am on social media and I need to read sometimes what you lot are writing and sometimes you just have to turn a blind eye to it.

There are so many good things on Twitter, the coaching sites, the analysis sites and discussions on football. I had been out of football after Cardiff and it was a good way to keep me updated.

Samid

Is hatred that has spread on Twitter a symptom of recent societal issues?
Yes but I am not going to do into politics but you can follow the world in politics and it’s not too far… I am not going to go into that but I think we are... errr, yeah…

So Donald Trump won't become United's technical director?
No, he won't and there are others who won't either, to put it that way. You don't have to travel that far.

Samid

On United supporters planning to provide Pogba with greater backing
I expect it to happen. We can all see Paul was disappointed when he missed the penalty [at Wolves]. He doesn't deserve this.

When you sign for Man United you become a Manc. Once a Manc, always a Manc. He gives his absolute everything for the club every week.

Samid

On Pogba expectations
I know people expect him to do absolutely everything on a football pitch. He’s got so many qualities. We're seeing different qualities from Paul this year compared to last season and he’s a leader in the group. I expect the fans to be behind him.

He expects a lot from himself as well. It doesn't frustrate me. We expect a lot from him but we know that we can’t get Roy Keane, [Juan Sebastian] Veron, [Paul] Scholes, [Ryan] Giggs and [Eric] Cantona in one player. It's hard. He's a top, top player.

We do expect a lot from our players and we have high hopes this season. Hopefully we can be consistent and challenge when we come to April and May and Paul plays a big part in that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ole said:
Some, and I think Paul is one of them, get stronger from criticism. I enjoyed criticism but when it gets personal and when it gets to race then it’s a different thing. There’s a certain point, a limit. I don’t think anyone can just get abused and then be stronger of course.
Not a few managers would've just settled for the usual clichéd 'It makes you stronger' thing and left it at that; typically, Ole has the intelligence to know that's not the case for everyone and every situation.

Samid

On McTominay, Garner and Gomes
I think Scott has played well in midfield, definitely. We've still got Nemanja [Matic] and Fred, who hasn't been involved, and Andreas [Pereira] has played more advanced. Some games, I'm sure we'll see Paul higher up the pitch as well and, so far, I've been very pleased with his performances. There are other players who have to step up, yes definitely, but so far, so good.

When we get to September and October, the midweek games in the Europa League and Carabao Cup, the league and then the [Emirates] FA Cup will start of course, we'll definitely see Jimmy. He's done really well in the Reserves. And Angel, definitely you'll see more of him.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
On McTominay, Garner and Gomes
I think Scott has played well in midfield, definitely. We've still got Nemanja [Matic] and Fred, who hasn't been involved, and Andreas [Pereira] has played more advanced. Some games, I'm sure we'll see Paul higher up the pitch as well and, so far, I've been very pleased with his performances. There are other players who have to step up, yes definitely, but so far, so good.

When we get to September and October, the midweek games in the Europa League and Carabao Cup, the league and then the [Emirates] FA Cup will start of course, we'll definitely see Jimmy. He's done really well in the Reserves. And Angel, definitely you'll see more of him.
Hmm I do wonder who he means when he says step up? Lingard per chance

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The youth aren't going to be criticised. So the only one i can think of who has been rubbish when played so far has been Lingard.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So Gomes will be involved in El first. I must change my prediction against Palace and put Lingard back in

Mr Smith

Remarkable how hard some of our fans are for Ole to throw our players or the club under the bus. Hope he continues to disappoint them every week.

Mr Smith

I think it's more likely he was referring to some players not showing enough in training, and as a result not being picked in the matchday squad. Could be a challenge to Lingard though; at the very least I hope he's letting him know behind closed doors he's not been good enough.

Dyslexic Untied

Is there anyway we could start having the OP of these threads updated with all the quotes?

Would ease the reading a lot.

Samid

So Donald Trump won't become United's technical director?
No, he won't and there are others who won't either, to put it that way. You don't have to travel that far.
Clear and obvious that Neville is dead to Ole.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Is there anyway we could start having the OP of these threads updated with all the quotes?

Would ease the reading a lot.
But you would probably miss Greta Thunberg bits in that case

He expects a lot from himself as well. It doesn't frustrate me. We expect a lot from him but we know that we can’t get Roy Keane, [Juan Sebastian] Veron, [Paul] Scholes, [Ryan] Giggs and [Eric] Cantona in one player. It's hard. He's a top, top player.
Tbf, there is a lot of truth in this. Defend, create, score, control the game... Never seen a player with so much expectations on his shoulder (irrespective of his inconsistency at times)

SteveW

I hate to give oxygen to a moron but this post should really win a prize for obnoxiousness and pride in one's own ignorance.

It has it all: contempt for disabled children, sexism, stupidity, climate denialism, dimwitted politics, idiot accusations of elitism against people you don't like (and know nothing about), and even throws in gratuitous contempt for other people's diet choices.

It takes a lot of skill to compress so much nastiness and ignorance into four lines. It definitely deserves recognition.
I agree with parts of your post and the general sentiment. Climate change is a real issue and anything that helps raise awareness is generally fine as far as I'm concerned. Even when there may be elements of hypocrisy, opportunism, political grandstanding etc. I genuinely have to wonder how someone could be so enraged over it. I find it really strange and hope that guy can calm himself down a bit.

That said for the sake of decent discourse it should be pointed out that:

saying the girl has aspergers - doesn't equal contempt for disabled children. (perhaps he dislikes Greta for her activism but he clearly didn't attack her because she has asbergers)
Disliking a woman (her mother) - doesn't equal sexism
Calling her method of activism a crazy bandwagon - doesn't equal climate denialism

The same way that Gary Neville criticising Pogba as a player or a person doesn't equal racism.

Throwing these easy lazy accusations at every person that doesn't agree with your argument is part of what's wrong with our culture at the moment. It's arguing in bad faith.

fergiesarmy1

On United supporters planning to provide Pogba with greater backing
I expect it to happen. We can all see Paul was disappointed when he missed the penalty [at Wolves]. He doesn't deserve this.

When you sign for Man United you become a Manc. Once a Manc, always a Manc. He gives his absolute everything for the club every week.
Apart from the last 2 months of last season

fps

So you think that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer genuinely believes that handing young players out to any random club is the way to go. Like, this man who has spent decades in the game actually thinks that’s how to develop players.

Or, rather, he was asked an unexpected question about Bury’s plight and said a few comments to the tune of helping them out, even though in reality they are of no real interest or concern to him.

There are two ways you can look at that comment. You can apply a small degree of critical thinking like I did, or you can go out of your way to try and bend a comment to make the bloke look like a twat who doesn’t know anything about football. It seems clear what you’d rather do...
I agree, some of the posts on here beggar belief.

chromepaxos

I agree with parts of your post and the general sentiment.
That said for the sake of decent discourse it should be pointed out that:
saying the girl has aspergers - doesn't equal contempt for disabled children. (perhaps he dislikes Greta for her activism but he clearly didn't attack her because she has asbergers)
Disliking a woman (her mother) - doesn't equal sexism
Calling her method of activism a crazy bandwagon - doesn't equal climate denialism[...]Throwing these easy lazy accusations at every person that doesn't agree with your argument is part of what's wrong with our culture at the moment. It's arguing in bad faith.
I just saw this so to quickly answer (given that the thread is pretty much dead and the conversation is really in the wrong forum...):
- if you use the fact that someone has Aspergers as a reason they can not be making decisions for themselves, then that is definitionally showing them contempt;
- if you think that the quote, "I hate her mum and all agenda driven idiots behind this crazy bandwagon. If they truly care about climate then sell their ultra high expensive condos in inner city and move to the country side and start a collective vegan farm for idiots." is a criticism of Greta's sailing trip (her "method of activism" in your words) rather than of climate activism, then words fail me.

You see, these aren't "lazy accusations"; they're based on what was actually said.

As for your accusation my post is "what's wrong with our culture at the moment." What could be lazier than refusing to call people out on their prejuduce?

Now, back to the football. :-)