Solskjær press conference vs Sheffield (H)

Nickelodeon

Same here, it's a trait many people underrate in its impact on a team, especially coming after such a toxic manager like Mourinho.
Meanwhile, Jose spreading joy by again bringing the past to bring credit to himself (with incorrect stats). Very similar to LVG's long ball conference against Big Sam.

el3mel

Imagine if you overheard your manager at work discussing you in a conference call:

"Yes he’s made a few mistakes, & we know we need to work to get @Rafaeldagold back to his best, but we’re working on those performance issues as I know he still has the appetite to improve"

I'm sorry, you'd be demotivated and likely job hunting. Criticism and performance management is private matter.
How do you know he's tackling it privately ? Maybe that's what he actually believes, because De Gea has been making mistakes for over a year and nothing has changed, besides, the quote you said jokingly has no wrong about it, sends a message he's a good keeper but passing through a bad form period and needs to work to recover from it. You know, you can defend your players without saying bollocks like "best keeper in the world".

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Meanwhile, Jose spreading joy by again bringing the past to bring credit to himself (with incorrect stats). Very similar to LVG's long ball conference against Big Sam.
I had forgotten about that particular post match presser.
Honestly,how thin skinned do you have to be to get easily wound-up by Sam blooming Allardyce .

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
No problem with Ole defending DDG in public like this, and on the face of things to only concede 2 goals in the last 7 is good going, but in reality those 2 goals cost us a win in both games and stopped us from having a 7 match winning streak, so it is less impressive than it sounds.

I still back DDG, though.
I totally agree. DDG has to be at his best for the next few weeks or the pressure is going to build for a change. Saturday we should see Romero start.

tomaldinho1

This is how he should react to journos questions - we forget just how toxic Mourinho was in his constant jibes at Shaw, wanting more CBs after buying two, criticising Rashford, Martial, double subbing Mata... the list is never ending.

Ole even acknowledges it was a savable shot, that's all he needs to do. DDG is a great keeper but consistency has been an issue, last thing he needs is more headlines and more pressure.

Skeezix

There are people who still takes these press conferences seriously :lol:
Press conferences for me are Meh! after Van gaal. LVG's pressers were entertaining.

Pressers are helpful to get confirmation about the injury situation though.

Lynty

How do you know he's tackling it privately ? Maybe that's what he actually believes, because De Gea has been making mistakes for over a year and nothing has changed, besides, the quote you said jokingly has no wrong about it, sends a message he's a good keeper but passing through a bad form period and needs to work to recover from it. You know, you can defend your players without saying bollocks like "best keeper in the world".
Come on mate.

Ole's been in and around the game at the highest level for longer than most people on here have watched football. He's got a team of coaches who have either played or coached at the highest level. De Gea has been unquestionably among the top keepers in the world for a period of his career. You really think non of them (including De Gea himself) know he's made too many mistakes?

And in the mind boggling event that they are oblivious, you have Roy Keane going viral and every sports pundit highlighting the regularity of these mistakes.

Yet some people on here want public reassurance that it's been noticed and addressed?

There is everything wrong with that statement. It doesn't serve a purpose. It's publicly highlighting what everyone knows but doesn't provided any solution. Criticism and solutions are for the training pitch, things don't get fixed in press conferences. How about if he pointed out De Gea mistake in the presser, said it isn't what we expect of a United keeper and needs to improve - all correct, but definitely de-motivating when somebody highlighting a flaw that you already know. If De Gea training schedule remained the same with no focus on methods to eliminate mistakes, they'll continue to happen.

It's a trait shared by poor management, not just in football - "I told you to do better, why haven't you done better?"

el3mel

Come on mate.

Ole's been in and around the game at the highest level for longer than most people on here have watched football. He's got a team of coaches who have either played or coached at the highest level. De Gea has been unquestionably among the top keepers in the world for a period of his career. You really think non of them (including De Gea himself) know he's made too many mistakes?

And in the mind boggling event that they are oblivious, you have Roy Keane going viral and every sports pundit highlighting the regularity of these mistakes.

Yet some people on here want public reassurance that it's been noticed and addressed?

There is everything wrong with that statement. It doesn't serve a purpose. It's publicly highlighting what everyone knows but doesn't provided any solution. Criticism and solutions are for the training pitch, things don't get fixed in press conferences. How about if he pointed out De Gea mistake in the presser, said it isn't what we expect of a United keeper and needs to improve - all correct. But if De Gea training schedule remained the same with no focus on methods to eliminate mistakes, they'll continue to happen.

It's a trait shared by poor management, not just in football - "I told you to do better, why haven't you done better?"
As I said De Gea mistakes are nothing new, he has been doing them ever since second half of last season, and nothing has changed. If they weren't noticing it since then why would they notice it now ? He had already costed us many points this season.

Besides, I don't really find any problem with putting some pressure on a supposedly elite player without openly insulting him to regain his focus and feel his position is in danger and can be taken any time if he doesn't improve. This is healthy for me. By saying "best keeper in the world" and stuff you're pretty much assuring him he'll remain as a starter. What's the point ?

Constructive criticism in the media is fine for me, as long as it doesn't go over the top or in an inappropriate manner.

romufc

As I said De Gea mistakes are nothing new, he has been doing them ever since second half of last season, and nothing has changed. If they weren't noticing it since then why would they notice it now ? He had already costed us many points this season.

Besides, I don't really find any problem with putting some pressure on a supposedly elite player without openly insulting him to regain his focus and feel his position is in danger and can be taken any time if he doesn't improve. This is healthy for me. By saying "best keeper in the world" and stuff you're pretty much assuring him he'll remain as a starter. What's the point ?

Constructive criticism in the media is fine for me, as long as it doesn't go over the top or in an inappropriate manner.
Could it not be that he believes he is the best keeper in the world, he wants De Gea to know that the manager is backing him. This way De Gea knows his manager is thinks he is the best but also knows the performances are not good enough.

He said it in his post match conference - something along the lines of David knows he should have done better. That comment means he has already had a chat with him.

Do you honestly think, other players like Maguire, Rashford, Pogba have not gone to De Gea and said mate, you gotta to better, we need you to regain some form?

The player knows he has messed up, the manager is trying to show support in public. It is the right way of doing things.

MattofManchester

He's looked a lot more confident as a manager since the break. Not sure what's changed but I just hope it's not misplaced.

UncleBob

Could it not be that he believes he is the best keeper in the world, he wants De Gea to know that the manager is backing him. This way De Gea knows his manager is thinks he is the best but also knows the performances are not good enough.

He said it in his post match conference - something along the lines of David knows he should have done better. That comment means he has already had a chat with him.

Do you honestly think, other players like Maguire, Rashford, Pogba have not gone to De Gea and said mate, you gotta to better, we need you to regain some form?

The player knows he has messed up, the manager is trying to show support in public. It is the right way of doing things.
:lol: :lol:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Criticism doesn't bring out the best in everyone. Some people benefit from compliments and trust. It's about knowing what works for each individual, and de Gea doesn't strike me as the sort of player to benefit from the hairdryer treatment.

Coops73

You will never have a bad presser from Ole. He's mastered the art of giving out a lot of positive signals without really saying anything.

Looking forward to the game, though. Any injury updates on Tuanzebe?
I agree, he doesn’t just fling shit about to get a reaction or talk subliminal bollocks, it’s pretty staid at times but I think he likes to keep his powder dry unlike someone like Mourinho, so in a weird way it’s refreshing.

Withnail

Maybe He knows that a Keeper below the age of 38 just doesn't instantly lose his ability within 2 years.
But yeah, Ole has been putting exaggerated words in his press conferences anyway so this has become something not to take seriously. I used to criticize him, because I thought He was always honest and straight forward. But it's easy to tell that He's playing a different game now.
This is the strangest thing about it. He's only slightly older now than Schmeichel was when he came to the club. As a Keeper, he really should be in his prime.

As for the rest of it feck them all under the bus in every presser til the end season, I say. That'll learn 'em

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's only the second press conference back and people are still desperate to put the manager down at any opportunity.

Withnail

Do you not think we would have more points if Romero had played every game this season? De Gea has the highest errors leading to goals percentage in the league.
Romero can't play every week. There's a reason he only plays Cup games, can't get into the Argentina squad and was out of contract before LVG brought him in.

DDG makes a few mistakes and this bloke is now the second coming.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Jaysus yeah say what you want about Ole but this is pathetically small-time :lol:

Imagine going into a fully fledged FAHCTS rant because Paul Merson was talking shite.

mu4c_20le

Sorry, but what exactly do people expect him to say about his number one goalkeeper?

"I mean he's still good, but there are lots of people better then him now, oh well...."
"He's never been quite the same since the fax machine incident but for me he's still in the top 10, our Dave"

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Romero can't play every week. There's a reason he only plays Cup games, can't get into the Argentina squad and was out of contract before LVG brought him in.

Romero was Argentina number 1 for years and has nearly 100 caps.

Withnail

Romero was Argentina number 1 for years and has nearly 100 caps.
What's that got to do with this season?

EDIT:
I was a bit short there.

I meant its a long time since he's played for them.

By all accounts his knees aren't up to playing every week.

Even without that, I have my doubts he would be up to it, seeing as he's only ever had one full season in a top flight league and that was 8 years ago.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He’s such a yes man..DDG best goalkeeper in the world..?! I mean come on.

This just confirms he thinks there’s no issue with DDG & therefore no technical issues will be talked about at all. More mistakes to come with another top 4/5 place out of reach
You have to say things like that, but behind the scenes he has to push him in training and keep him behind for longer sessions.

You aren't going to say bad things about your players in the pressers.

Mourinho once said Ibrahimovic was the best player in the world when he was playing 'ok' at Inter. Managers always say things like this about their own players, and you have Cristiano having one of his best seasons (the year he won the Balon d'or I believe) and you had Messi starting to turn heads too.

Web of Bissaka

More on McTominay's new deal
"He’s been a part of the club for so long Scotty, and of course we’re delighted he sees his future here, immediate and long term.

It’s five years, 2025 plus an option and Scotty has been developing so much over the last few years. I watched him before I came in and I was excited to come in and work with him. He’s such a humble and hard working boy with the Man United DNA.

He knows what it takes to go through the ranks and he’s a leader on the pitch. Very, very happy to come together and work towards winning trophies together.”
Wages?

fps

This just confirms he thinks there’s no issue with DDG & therefore no technical issues will be talked about at all. More mistakes to come with another top 4/5 place out of reach
This confirms no such thing, managers don’t necessarily say things they believe in press conferences, very naive to think they do.

el3mel

"Few mistakes" The guy has been fecking us over since second half of last season. Continuously ignoring that and we will end with Rooney situation volume 2.

Paul InceUlt

«Dean will be United no.1 one day», «David best in the world».... Sounds like a loud and clear challenge to up the game more than anything else imo.

Withnail

"Few mistakes" The guy has been fecking us over since second half of last season. Continuously ignoring that and we will end with Rooney situation volume 2.
I didn't say replacing De Gea long-term wasn't necessary, although it would be very strange for a keeper to permanently lose form at his age.

I'm saying Romero isn't a viable option.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Fecking hell, there's defending players, then there's rolling us back to three year old cliches. "Best goalkeeper in the world" just sounds delusional at this point.

Yes I for one wish we had a manager who publicly threw his players under a bus then expected them to go out and perform.

Any ideas who we could appoint?

Shark

@NotShark
Yes I for one wish we had a manager who publicly threw his players under a bus then expected them to go out and perform.

Any ideas who we could appoint?
Why do you assume I want Ole to throw him under the bus just because I don’t think he should be saying he's the best in the world? you can praise a player without saying that, you know.

Grande

Why do you assume I want Ole to throw him under the bus just because I don’t think he should be saying he's the best in the world? you can praise a player without saying that, you know.
He was replying to two posters, were the other one clearly had an agenda. You, I would say, are just nipicking a little bit ;)

Lynty

I think everyone is nitpicking.

The fact that the only thing we have to really debate about, is the reasoning behind Ole calling our keeper the best in the world and whether or not Martial can hit 20 goals..its refreshing after the last few years of bitterness and discontent.

A huge positive turn around, because it honestly felt like our club was on fire for 7 years.

Let's spare a thought for Arsenal and Spurs

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe Ole genuinely does think that? he seems him every day in training and we know he has the ability to save all sorts.

Yes he's made a big mistake against Everton but honestly the Spurs one wasn't THAT bad at all. You could look through all the goals through the last week and find way bigger mistakes.

Honestly Henderson made 2 bigger errors against Newcastle. Should have said ASM's goal and Richies shot he could have done better with.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I would like to see Pogba and Greenwood start today. I also would like Ighalo to start in place of Martial but I doubt that will happen. Ighalo should start Saturday though and if he looks good he should play more. Sheffield has a stingy defense and we need to play our most talented players to get a goal or two.