Solskjær press conference vs Southampton (A)

Sir Scott McToMinay

Love this post.

I wonder what you thought about the possibility of signing Dybala?

Clearly your not a fan of Manutd?

A top 4 that is probably 3rd best in the league.
One of the best goalkeepers in the world
One of the most talented players in Paul Pogba

I don't know if you realised, this is the Premier League, where any team can beat anyone on a given day. It's fans like you who think that losing to Wolves is the end of the world.

We have had 1 terrible season but finished 6th not far from 4th.
Thanks for the support.

I didn’t want Dybala because he never wanted to come here in the first place and that never works.

I am.

We’ve been shit for the better part of a decade, wake and smell the carcass, and stop deluding yourself.

We’re years away from competing, that’s all there is to it.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Different level of delusion if he thinks those options are good enough. And he doesn't even mention Angel Gomes who may be the only good enough bar Greenwood.

A few injuries, already have one to Martial, and we're in some real real danger.

romufc

You're missing my point. I have not stated that he should be negative, I have not said that at all. But I want him (Ole..) to be more of who HE is. These bland presss conferences, post-match interviews... they don't say much to me at all. This is a public forum (if I recall..) and I am surely entitled to an observation and opinion. I haven't a clue what Ole stands for, and I have provided examples of other managers, where, I personally feel, it is quite clear what they stand for, how they work, what they expect from players.... look at Enrique at Barca (before he had to leave, how sad is that story...).. or Conte at Chelsea, now Inter.. even Sarri for a season... all of these immediately evoked a personality that embodies their football... I just do not see this is Ole. Many may say it isn't important, but I personally think how one thinks, reflects upon on how one may act and behave... and if Ole's press conference, and post-match blurb is anything to go by, then I am not quite sure what I can pick up from him. Yes, he say's all the right things.

And that's my point. It's without character or meaning, and I find that worrying.
Look how it ended with those managers?

The fans never took to Conte or Sarri because of the way they came out in press conferences.

Ole knows he needs to keep the fans on his side because of the negativity at the club.

He isn't a household name manager either, he needs to be careful and conservative in the media.

I rather him coming out encouraging the players he wants here than what Jose did. It was all about him, Ole is about the team.

Keefy18

I hear that, but I am not impressed by it. It's a faceless response to questions, which do not befit the working environment. It's a Press Conference before a weekend of Premiership action... not a cabinet or some flaming committee meeting... he needs to start to show his own personality, because just 'playing on the break...' isn't really going to get him very far.
He is showing his personality, its positive and he's clearly not giving the journo's a whiff of anything. Why should he?

His job is to manage United, not be some PR Prince and Media darling.

I would be far more confident in him, if he started to talk about what he feels and wants. He is, at the moment, spectacularly ambiguous, and increasingly contradictory (note the Sanchez situation).
He already has previously, remember his post Everton comments about "some players won't be here next season". Well guess what happened, we had impatient, instant gratification jizz stains tear him apart across social media because everything didn't happen instantly in June and July.

Now as we approach the final hours of the transfer window our squad looks vastly different doesn't it?

As for apparently being "ambiguous and contradictory" re Sanchez, he isn't. What did you expect him to say of Sanchez?

"Well, yeah we're in a real s*it storm here with Sanchez, what can I say? He's an injury prone, ageing, poor performing player with a bad attitude.... does anyone want to buy him?"

Do you not for a second stop, analyze and think through what managers tell the press is often BS? He's doing what any intelligent manager does, handling business in a professional manner, behind closed doors!

What is he scared of?
Exactly what is he scared of? How is he scared?

Does a manager who shift 8 or 9 senior players in a single summer seem scared to you? How is there anything in those actions that falls into the definition of "scared"?

I don't want scared people running Manchester United. Because, ultimately, it will reflect on how the team is shaped and performs.. through fear, and reaction.
One of the worst comments I've seen on any United forum in some time.

The mind boggles.

romufc

Thanks for the support.

I didn’t want Dybala because he never wanted to come here in the first place and that never works.

I am.

We’ve been shit for the better part of a decade, wake and smell the carcass, and stop deluding yourself.

We’re years away from competing, that’s all there is to it.
Sarcasm my friend.

So who could we have got?

Yeh but we have been better than Wolves and whoever else you are comparing us to.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Different level of delusion if he thinks those options are good enough. And he doesn't even mention Angel Gomes who may be the only good enough bar Greenwood.

A few injuries, already have one to Martial, and we're in some real real danger.
He’d make a good politician, of course he doesn’t believe our squad is good enough, he doesn’t have any choice other than giving his players public support as he wants to manage the club and hopefully succeed here eventually.

Biggest problem for him is that if he gets the sack his career is finished at this level, he doesn’t have Moyes’ 10 year stint at Everton to fall back on.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How hard is it to understand that it's just a PC, not a truth telling competition.

Infra-red

He's just trying to stay positive (in marked contrast to his predecessor).

He'll be fully aware of how paper thin and devoid of quality our squad actually is, especially in the attacking areas.

RedPnutz

You are missing the real point here. Can’t you see that Ole is being a contradictory and inconsistent person here?

He starts off with using first names Anthony, Marcus and and Mason. Then he goes and uses Chongy and Pereira... and then Daniel James??!!

There’s obviously cliques and favouritism here that will create divisiveness in the dressing room. Man’s not fit to be a Man Utd manager!!!!

Amerifan

The purpose of the session from United’s standpoint is to build enthusiasm for the upcoming game. Criticizing players or bemoaning the state of the squad is hardly conducive to that. From the media’s standpoint it is to have something to fill the dead air until the results come in. They’d prefer controversy. Ole is doing it right, putting the focus on the team ahead of himself, and not creating distracting controversy.

Reactions: SteveJ

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I ll put in the customary "If Jose had said that, he would have been torn to pieces".
This is Man Utd. We don't go somewhere hoping to defend and nick a win.
Where does he say, "we're going there to defend?"

Granted English isn't my first language but I'm struggling here....please help

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You are missing the real point here. Can’t you see that Ole is being a contradictory and inconsistent person here?

He starts off with using first names Anthony, Marcus and and Mason. Then he goes and uses Chongy and Pereira... and then Daniel James??!!

There’s obviously cliques and favouritism here that will create divisiveness in the dressing room. Man’s not fit to be a Man Utd manager!!!!
Absolutely.

I didn't have a nickname in school while some did. How the feck did I survive being called by first name and often second by the teachers.

Shocked I made it to this age to even talk about it!!!! Oh the trauma it caused

R'hllor

Is he not counting Gomes there or he doesnt see him as a winger.

Teja

Damn, how far have we fallen. From the club where great wingers and CFs were a constant over the past 20 years to having Chong, James and Pereira as our first choice wingers. Everton and Leicester have a better selection than us.

Snuffkin

These kids better be good or we're actually screwed this season.
We were screwd last season and there was no silver lining. At least if we finish 5th this season we'll have blooded some youngsters.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

I guess you are serious. Wow. Maybe we should call you "Putz" from now on.

fps

In fairness, those are two first names, so perhaps he's his favourite.

Zed 101

Was quite disappointed that the Ibra rumors were shot down, I think we are 1 player away from a decent top 4 side, Ibra could have been the player to unlock defenses until we could dip again next summer

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Is it normal that while reading some posts here I have huge desire to scream and shout, even brake something?

Where are my bloody pills?
When reading this site, I feel Dante walking through the fifth circle of hell, only with more wailing and hellfire.

fps

Was quite disappointed that the Ibra rumors were shot down, I think we are 1 player away from a decent top 4 side, Ibra could have been the player to unlock defenses until we could dip again next summer
I don't know, when the MLS season closes I think there's a chance of it happening.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ole didn't shut the rumours down completely. He went to say that Ibra could call at any time.

Bringing Ibra in for the remainder of the season would have a positive effect on our young strikers and the squad in general. He was a popular guy when he was last here by all accounts.

Zoo

Just watched his embargoed section, say what you want but Ole is very skilled at dealing with the media.

edcunited1878

The boss was also asked about Jesse Lingard’s contribution so far this campaign. The England international is yet to register a goal in any of our first three Premier League games, but the Norwegian was quick to highlight the 26-year-old’s other important qualities.

“Jesse has never been the most prolific player in front of goal,” Ole admitted.

“If you look throughout his career, he has other attributes and Jesse’s contribution throughout this season has been fantastic. For me, from his first day in training he’s shown that he is determined to stay in the team, because his application in training and in games [has been great].

Of course, sometimes you want a bit more in front of goal, but he does so much other stuff. I left him out against AC Milan [on tour] and he scored when he came on and then he scored two the day after when we played Blackburn here [in a friendly behind closed doors].

“He can take criticism, he can take being left out because he has the right character to bounce back. I don’t expect Jesse to be anything different whether I pick him, or whether Gareth [Southgate] picks him [for England]. He knows he’s a good player and we value him.”

DBT85

Just watched his embargoed section, say what you want but Ole is very skilled at dealing with the media.
no no no, he's a yes man for getting Woodward to do what he wants, and he's soft for using first names, and and and

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Said we probably need one more player in attack. Strange that the journos didn't jump on that and ask him about our midfield options and if he really is happy with that threadbare selection.

ash_86

"Jesse contribution was fantastic". I stopped watching there
He also said he doesn't mind dropping him. I take it as a Ole way of saying improve or you don't start. Our manager is amazing with press conferences.

Lj82

You're missing my point. I have not stated that he should be negative, I have not said that at all. But I want him (Ole..) to be more of who HE is. These bland presss conferences, post-match interviews... they don't say much to me at all. This is a public forum (if I recall..) and I am surely entitled to an observation and opinion. I haven't a clue what Ole stands for, and I have provided examples of other managers, where, I personally feel, it is quite clear what they stand for, how they work, what they expect from players.... look at Enrique at Barca (before he had to leave, how sad is that story...).. or Conte at Chelsea, now Inter.. even Sarri for a season... all of these immediately evoked a personality that embodies their football... I just do not see this is Ole. Many may say it isn't important, but I personally think how one thinks, reflects upon on how one may act and behave... and if Ole's press conference, and post-match blurb is anything to go by, then I am not quite sure what I can pick up from him. Yes, he say's all the right things.

And that's my point. It's without character or meaning, and I find that worrying.
He is showing his true self, that is being uncontroversial. If seems that you want him to be more how you wanted him to be, rather than himself

Lj82

embargoed.. Solskjær admits United needed a striker got rejected by the ones they wanted. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/man-utd-solskjaer-transfer-window-16839808

Seriously he’s contradicting himself. His players will hear and think his previous comments was BS.

Also if he thinks CF is where we need urgent reinforcements and not CM then that says it all really.
No he is not contradicting himself. Read the interview in full context and it is clear what he is saying. He wants a replacement for lukaku but the selected replacements did not want to come. So now he wants Rashford and Martial to step up. It really is that simple.

Tarrou

Sterling Archer

I'm pretty sure he always said he wanted a replacement for Lukaku if he left.
He was very clear about that. Then he was rather tight lipped. First time since I'm hearing the hint of dissatisfaction with the window. Very Fergie-like in managing the garbage above him

roseguy64

Well I’m massively sceptical about the Ole “project”, but on this I think you’re absolutely right. How about we judge him on the football and the results?
Nah. That's completely illogical. Much better to solely use which car he drives.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Will he be told off for saying we are a man short in attack? Refreshing to hear that acknowledgement, but it really applies most to midfield.

I do agree that he navigates the media pretty well though.

RedPnutz

I guess you are serious. Wow. Maybe we should call you "Putz" from now on.
Seems white text work better than multiple exclamation marks.

Says a lot about the state of the forum now that these sort of posts are taken to be serious.

But “Putz” is good.