Solskjær press conference vs West Ham (A)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm well aware of their record. My point was regarding the claim that what we suffer because we have inexperienced coaches. I'm pointing out some of our previous coaches didn't have huge experience. Kidd had a few years in lower levels and worked in the lower ranks of United. McLaren only worked for a few years. Their experience wasn't the key. It was what they brought to the table. Maybe McKenna and Carrick can bring a lot. Maybe not.

The bad news is that even if you can do that, the manager still needs to have certain capabilities. Like in-game management.

You need a special man with special abilities to head such a coaching set up. A Ferguson.
Kidd rejoined United as youth coach in 1988. Being a former Busby babe, it was common for SAF to take him with him whenever they were interested in signing a promising youth talent. He remained as youth coach till 1991, just 2 years before that famous 1993 FA youth cup win. So in Kidd, Sir Alex had at his side a club legend, who knew the pressures of being part of a successful United batch and who had been coaching these kids at youth level for a reasonable amount of time.

As said before Mclaren was signed at a time when football technology and new football roles were starting to burst into scene. Managers of SAF's generation were alien of such things

Queroz was signed in 2002. The man had ample managerial experience, he brought a continental approach to our game and he could speak at least 4 languages fluently. That surely came handy at a time when football was becoming more diverse. Carlos's signing conceded with some interesting events at United. First of all it conceded with Sven's failure in replacing Sir Alex. That also happened in 2002. It also started the wave of Portuguese league imports with Ronaldo (2003), Nani and Ando (2007) (Carlos had rejoined United during that time). I believe that Sir Alex brought in Carlos as his approved successor just in case he decided to reignite his retirement plans. That make sense since Carlos was too good to be a no 2 and went on to Real the year after signing with us first time round.

Rene and Phelan were promoted at a time when Sir Alex was starting to delegate more work to others. He always praised Rene's grip over tactics, claiming that he was necessary at the club as he was becoming a bit of a tactical dinosaur himself. Meanwhile he praised Phelan's eye for talent in his autobiography. Tactics, training and talent spotting are very labor intensive something a then ageing Sir Alex might not have had the energy to do himself.

Sir Alex's assistant managers were mostly well thought and brought in to cover a purpose or a lack the man might have had. Experience wasn't important simply because that something the old man had in bucket loads. I think even the staunchest of Ole ins admit that Sir Alex was on a whole different level to Ole. Which is for Ole to surround himself with experienced people who understand the game very well is far more important than it was for Sir Alex.

Finally Ole shares alot of SAF's traits. He understand the club, he's loyal and he's a superb man manager. However there are some negative traits that are keeping him down. The main ones are

A- He's tactics and coaching is very limited and quite frankly he doesn't give a damn about it.

B- He's obsessed with having his own men around him and seem quite undecisive in terms of kicking his 'matey's out of the club. We all know deep down that keeping Mata and Grant at the club is stupid.

Things had improved slightly this year when he appointed a set piece coach but its really a matter of it being too little too late

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just because it doesn’t upset you is irrelevant. What a 1970s argument! Banter is it?
Jeez
Autistic people tend to be very opinionated and they tend to say stuff that don't go in line with social norms and conventions. The guy probably didn't planned to offend. So I'd suggest to let it go.

bludsucker

Sorry, didn't realise you had hairsplitting levels of autism. I'll just leave you alone now "dear".
The absolute cheek of asking others to “learn to read better” while yourself being uninformed is hypocrisy at its best.
So I say 3 years and you translated that in your own head as 3 full seasons. Stop putting words into my mouth.
No, no. He's right. Ole will probably win the league by december and thus render my statement that he's won nothing in 3 years incorrect.
I know quite well he can’t win anything by december. Hence i said three full seasons. But i was putting words in your mouth then wasnt i. Someone seems to be having a mare on here.

georgipep

Sorry, forgot we choose our childhood backgrounds. Did you get a fecking create a character screen at birth that then followed up with a selection of spawn points? I must have missed that part.
No, but I choose what I do and say every moment of every day.

wolvored

Kidd rejoined United as youth coach in 1988. Being a former Busby babe, it was common for SAF to take him with him whenever they were interested in signing a promising youth talent. He remained as youth coach till 1991, just 2 years before that famous 1993 FA youth cup win. So in Kidd, Sir Alex had at his side a club legend, who knew the pressures of being part of a successful United batch and who had been coaching these kids at youth level for a reasonable amount of time.

As said before Mclaren was signed at a time when football technology and new football roles were starting to burst into scene. Managers of SAF's generation were alien of such things

Queroz was signed in 2002. The man had ample managerial experience, he brought a continental approach to our game and he could speak at least 4 languages fluently. That surely came handy at a time when football was becoming more diverse. Carlos's signing conceded with some interesting events at United. First of all it conceded with Sven's failure in replacing Sir Alex. That also happened in 2002. It also started the wave of Portuguese league imports with Ronaldo (2003), Nani and Ando (2007) (Carlos had rejoined United during that time). I believe that Sir Alex brought in Carlos as his approved successor just in case he decided to reignite his retirement plans. That make sense since Carlos was too good to be a no 2 and went on to Real the year after signing with us first time round.

Rene and Phelan were promoted at a time when Sir Alex was starting to delegate more work to others. He always praised Rene's grip over tactics, claiming that he was necessary at the club as he was becoming a bit of a tactical dinosaur himself. Meanwhile he praised Phelan's eye for talent in his autobiography. Tactics, training and talent spotting are very labor intensive something a then ageing Sir Alex might not have had the energy to do himself.

Sir Alex's assistant managers were mostly well thought and brought in to cover a purpose or a lack the man might have had. Experience wasn't important simply because that something the old man had in bucket loads. I think even the staunchest of Ole ins admit that Sir Alex was on a whole different level to Ole. Which is for Ole to surround himself with experienced people who understand the game very well is far more important than it was for Sir Alex.

Finally Ole shares alot of SAF's traits. He understand the club, he's loyal and he's a superb man manager. However there are some negative traits that are keeping him down. The main ones are

A- He's tactics and coaching is very limited and quite frankly he doesn't give a damn about it.

B- He's obsessed with having his own men around him and seem quite undecisive in terms of kicking his 'matey's out of the club. We all know deep down that keeping Mata and Grant at the club is stupid.

Things had improved slightly this year when he appointed a set piece coach but its really a matter of it being too little too late
Perhaps we may have been better bringing Mulensteen back as well as Phelan, or instead of.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Figured he'd of said something like that, saw some of the CAF say the same, they all forget Ronaldo on the touch line for most of the Euro's final as well. Amazing how someone showing that level of passion is seen as a negative and disrespect for the manager but whatevs

EtH

Thanks @Samid and @MyOnlySolskjaer

Nice to see OGS continue to emphasize the high expectations of this squad in the league.

Not exactly Rio’s finest hour yet again. He really does speak first and think later at times.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thanks @Samid and @MyOnlySolskjaer

Nice to see OGS continue to emphasize the high expectations of this squad in the league.

Not exactly Rio’s finest hour yet again. He really does speak first and think later at times.
Rio is a pundit. He’s got his own streaming channel and will do what’s right for that. There’s nothing wrong with that, he’s still very loyal to United.

I actually think he was speaking down on Ronaldo when he said that rather than trying to belittle Ole. I think it was more of a “you shouldn’t really be doing that mate, not cool” sort of thing and the main reason for that is probably because of Solskjaer’s lack of gravitas and the image it presents.

EtH

Rio is a pundit. He’s got his own streaming channel and will do what’s right for that. There’s nothing wrong with that, he’s still very loyal to United.

I actually think he was speaking down on Ronaldo when he said that rather than trying to belittle Ole. I think it was more of a “you shouldn’t really be doing that mate, not cool” sort of thing and the main reason for that is probably because of Solskjaer’s lack of gravitas and the image it presents.
Yeah I can see that. It is a bit annoying for Ole to be addressing it in a presser though.

LawmanMan

Multiple players in the years since have described the massive influence and control Querioz had on tactics and tactical preparation under SAF.

For example, in Giggs' autobiography he says Queiroz had “large amounts of responsibility” within the club, and had been entrusted to “train us, prepare us for games, organise the team and decide the things we need to work on."

John O'Shea on Queiroz' role: "He has worked very hard on giving us different ideas about how to kill a game off and how to expand our game to get from defending to attacking very quickly. I think you have seen that on lots of occasions, but also having the patience to keep the ball because in Europe the teams are so good that you do a lot of work if you don't have the ball."

Taking specific games as examples, all of Giggs, Carrick, Evra, Neville, Silvestre and Rooney described how it was Queiroz specifically who prepared them tactically for the semi-final games against Barcelona. Taking a few of their quotes, here's Neville:

"Queiroz's daily routine before the Champions League semifinal against Barcelona in 2008 was to put sit-up mats on the training pitch to mark exactly where he wanted the defenders to be to the nearest yard....For years, training had always been based around how we’d play, but this time Carlos was obsessive about stopping Barcelona. We'd never seen such attention to detail. We rehearsed time and again, sometimes walking through the tactics slowly with the ball in our hands."

And here's Evra:

"I remember the semi-final against Barcelona away when he was speaking with everybody before the second half. The team felt very strong at Barcelona and this was because of the work of Carlos Queiroz. Tactically, he brought something very important to Manchester United."

And Silvestre:

"I think it was something that Carlos brought to the first team. It was lots of drills and tactical positioning, knowing when to shift and when to put pressure or drop, because Barcelona can break very easily."

And Rooney:

"Whenever the manager was following his instinct and thinking "we're going to attack", Carlos would make him rethink. He was the one who gave us the tactics in 2008 and was the cautious one we needed."

Oh and here's Ferguson himself (while talking about Henrik Larsson) casually mentioning that Queiroz delivered the tactics briefings:

"He wanted to listen to Carlos (Queiroz), the tactics lectures; he was into every nuance of what we did."

So yeah, I'd say all that comes under the heading of Ferguson relying on Queiroz to deal with the tactical specifics, which is what I said.

Maybe try easing up on the name-calling when you post next time. That way you'll look like less of a jackass when you're wrong.
Nobody is saying Quiroz and Rene didn't contribute, but Ferguson was a walking football encyclopedia. He was a very capable tactician, as his success at Aberdeen and at Man Utd prior to Carlos shows. He may have offered a few more wrinkles or new ideas (which was what he was brought in for), but it is no coincidence that they have both pretty much been failures when going out on their own, while Alex was successful in every era where he competed.

Last edited:

LawmanMan

The problem is, Fergie was the magic component. He may have had assistants to aid him with certain aspects, but he was always the prime mover in terms of Man Utd. Some people (laughably) claim he was weak tactically, but he was top notch at home and abroad across all eras, and at both Man Utd and Aberdeen. I believe Fergie always knew what he wanted to see on the field, and would handpick people to handle the smaller details to ensure his vision came to fruition.

Fergie knew what he was doing by appointing Moyes, but should have taken a more active role in the transition. Like a general manager style approach as his successor got his bearings. What Moyes has been doing at West Ham is very impressive, and he is showing the qualities now that he had at Everton, but with added attacking flair. They actually they look like they could trouble top six again this season.

At the moment we are left with a bargain basement Fergie wannabe who is competing through financial muscle alone. It is not a sustainable way to run a football club. We should beat them due to superiority in terms of players, but its not going to be an easy match by any stretch.

sport2793

Heaton was actually a decent GK for years in the PL, you're all making him out to be some random Sunday league player.