Solskjær press conference vs Wolves (A)

GioF

Honestly I want to see our best XI. Right now we are starting Pereira on the RW and personally I do not even think he is good enough to be a squad player at United. So whoever wants to step up... Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Mata, Sanchez, who ever... it is all good by me .

For my money we beat Chelsea with 9 and a half players (Pereira and Lingard should be a squad player imo), imagine if we had a complete squad of real players.
Bit harsh on Pereira and Lingard as I thought they had decent second halves to be fair.

I get your point though; both should be squad players and not starting 11 however we will not be able to strengthen until January so it’s eigher one of the young lads step up or the usual suspects....Sanchez/Lingard/Mata etc.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Talked sh**t about Sanchez and Fred

This two players made absolutely nothing.

First one is the worst signing of our history and Ole is still talking positive things, saying that he's a good player etc. Absolute non sense.

Ole should start talking facts and not hopes or dreams.

He could have said that he's not ready yet, that he's working. point

I don't get why he's protecting him (kind of) since he came
This is why I can tell that you do not work in management. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it appears to me that you think being negative somehow will yield results? Exactly what do you think it would do to the players motivation when he's already struggling, and the manager comes out and talks him down? Hell we had Jose Mourinho do this to Luke Shaw last season and it was a horrible trainwreck.

TRUERED89

Honestly I want to see our best XI. Right now we are starting Pereira on the RW and personally I do not even think he is good enough to be a squad player at United. So whoever wants to step up... Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Mata, Sanchez, who ever... it is all good by me .

For my money we beat Chelsea with 9 and a half players (Pereira and Lingard should be a squad player imo), imagine if we had a complete squad of real players.
You do know Andreas and Lingard were both directly involved in the second goal right!?

Red00012

Brilliant post. Sanchez hasn't looked good but tbf to him, has he played 5 games in a row? he is always injured and under Jose's reign he always came on when we were in desperate need for a goal or almost a last resort. If Ole can instill confidence and tell him he needs him this season then he may come good.
Literally Jose dropped Martial and played Sanchez from January to end of season when he was signed.

I’d give him games in Europa league but I genuinely think he’s finished.

JB7

Lindelof was useless his first season too. And the first half of his second.

Now he seems to be a lot of people's favourite player. Another reason why Lindelof shouting at Fred last season made no sense

If Fred has a good 2nd half of this season he'd have done as much as Lindelof has
Lindelöf didn't do anything wrong in the first half of last season either, he was easily our best defender across the whole season. To be completely fair he was ok in the second half of his first season - he just hadn't got the faith of Mourinho after his mistakes early on so was only played against lesser teams.

Fred similar - some terrible games, some ok games and a couple of decent games. The concern I have with him compared to Lindelöf is consistency, Lindelöf settled and was fine from then on. Fred appeared to settle and was still up and down a matchly basis.

I hope he can do it, while he's in a red shirt I'll want him to go out and be a world beater every game. Same goes for Sanchez. All the best to both of them this season.

romufc

Literally Jose dropped Martial and played Sanchez from January to end of season when he was signed.

I’d give him games in Europa league but I genuinely think he’s finished.
I think maybe I am clutching at straws hoping for him to come good.

But subsidising wages and sending him on loan is not the answer IMO. The forward line can use his experience in other competitions. If Martial or Rashford miss a few games, would he be in line to replace them?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Did you trust Mourinho then?

I agree that Ole can be over the top positive and that could have its adverse effects as well, but he tries at least to bolster his players confidence instead of breaking it down like Mourinho
Good. You're not meant to judge managers in press conferences. Top managers rarely turn on their club or players or structure openly. Initially I thought Jose was a breath of fresh air when he did it but I realise he was wrong.

Behind closed doors Ole may be different but there's no way he's airing his thoughts to the media.
I considered using white text but thought the sarcasm (and utter stupidity of the post) would be enough.

We live in interesting times.

SteveW

First one is the worst signing of our history and Ole is still talking positive things, saying that he's a good player etc. Absolute non sense.

You don't seem to understand how the world works lad.

RightSaidFredTheRed

This is why I can tell that you do not work in management. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it appears to me that you think being negative somehow will yield results? Exactly what do you think it would do to the players motivation when he's already struggling, and the manager comes out and talks him down? Hell we had Jose Mourinho do this to Luke Shaw last season and it was a horrible trainwreck.
You were winning till this point...! Shaw admitted he needed some tough treatment to kick him up the arse (or something to that effect, before the quote nazi's get started!). Also Shaw won our best player last year.

So far from a trainwreck.

As a general principle though, it is better to support first and kick arse later!

Denis' cuff

You do know Andreas and Lingard were both directly involved in the second goal right!?

Well, that is actually their job.

Good to know they contributed to 1 out of 4, although I will concede Andreas did well getting the cross over. Barely noticed Lingered all game.

AshRK

If you want a fun Press conference then Ole is not the man. He is not there to create unwanted headlines or make stupid statements. Trust me after seeing LvG and Jose's supposedly fun conference and Moyes' making stupid statements I prefer this. He is not giving media what they want and after 5 plus years of car crash I prefer this any day. Feck the media.

Grande

Interesting bits about Fred and Sanchez.

Now, to begin with, I don’t have the view that either of them are useless and need to be sold. I think both are capable of being useful to us if in form and used correctly.

One obvious thing is that both missed the ‘up-to-scratch’-training period the others had in early preseason, so they are going to lag behind for a little while regardless. A second thing is that when implementing a new way of playing, only players like Maguire will be thrust into the team without having rehearsed the tactics in preseason.

That said, asked about Fred, he mentioned the importance for players (in general) to have a set and solid (predictable) backline to relate to. Then he said Fred will have a good season. My impression of Fred (and Sanchez, btw), is of a player playing an intuitional game. He plays simple and difficult passes fast. For a player like that, when his surroundings are structured and predictable, they can speed up the entire team. When players around them are confused or disorderly, they’ll end up misplacing simple as well as difficult passes, or revert to staying on the ball too long and losing it.

I’m guessing that Solskjær thinks Fred can become a very valuable player in the pivot, when we are more set in our play as a team, but not the other way around.

On Sanchez, Solskjær has publicly backed him from the start, lauding his work ethic, while always speaking about how he can play an important part, never about being a key starter, if memory serves.

I’m thinking Solskjær sees him as a useful option if he accepts a squad role, and takes brings his work ethic into that role. I think Sanchez too can be more useful if the team around him is more set in its play. Even if he’s lost a step, if on song, he could do a good job in the Lingard role.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Does anybody genuinely want to see much of Sanchez this season? I'd rather James, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong are sat on the bench instead of him. Ole can't include Sanchez regularly and fulfill his promise to involve the youth, something will have to give.
We lack depth in attack. Getting rid of Sanchez now will just make that situation worse.

Greenwood, Gomes and Chong are 17-18 year old kids. They’ll get plenty of opportunities this season regardless of whether Sanchez stays or goes.

Lemansky

I considered using white text but thought the sarcasm (and utter stupidity of the post) would be enough.

We live in interesting times.
Think white text is vital. Only look at this thread to see serious posts that one should think is ironic but is not. I have been reading this forums for loads of years and things where definitely better back in the days.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
:lol:

You've obviously never had any management or team leader experience.
Sorry I am.

But I am not keeping in my side a player (employee) that is under performing when the expectations were so high.

There is a difference between saying that Sanchez is a Man Utd player, and what Ole is saying week in week out about him.

What the point in answering question about deadwood, industrial disaster, that positively.

I think Ole wants to be the kind manager, be the opposite to Jose. But at the end, will this get Sanchez better ? Absolutely not.

I think that Ole should have told that Sanchez is still unfit, making progress and will feature once he will be ready this is it.

Not saying that we don't have enough striker, that he will play a lot and he is a super pro.

Pretending that we have Ronaldo in our team and he will make a difference, pffff. This guy is past and we should spend time selling him via pressers.

Sometimes Ole is too nice

romufc

We have not seen the best of Fred, or should I say anything of Fred that persuaded the club to pay £50m.

Clearly, Ole has seen something about this lad but he can only fit a certain type of system. He wants to get that system up and running before introducing him.

I think Fred has the ability to help us int he final third, he is the only midfielder I have seen in this united team whom can play a drilled first time pass which no other players can see.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Lad, there is a difference between being Jose with Shaw or Mkhitaryan, and being Ole with Sanchez.

We call that expectations. If we can't expect from the highest paid player in England to perform week in week out, there's no point in supporting him.

I understand that if we want to sell/loan him, we have to give a perfect message (really like Leonardo and Neymar) BUT Sanchez is failling us since 18 months, can we be a bit tough and say that he s supposed to be the team leader, came like a star and is just posting pics in Instagram prentending to be like Goku ???

Being a manager is not being blind at all. You support your players, but when the fail you consistently it's over, you have to take better decisions.

You think that Guardiola defended Zlatan, Eto'o, Toure or other player he didnt liked ? No because he wanted his club to be the best he neglected the deadwood and focused on the top

fps

Interesting bits about Fred and Sanchez.

Now, to begin with, I don’t have the view that either of them are useless and need to be sold. I think both are capable of being useful to us if in form and used correctly.

One obvious thing is that both missed the ‘up-to-scratch’-training period the others had in early preseason, so they are going to lag behind for a little while regardless. A second thing is that when implementing a new way of playing, only players like Maguire will be thrust into the team without having rehearsed the tactics in preseason.

That said, asked about Fred, he mentioned the importance for players (in general) to have a set and solid (predictable) backline to relate to. Then he said Fred will have a good season. My impression of Fred (and Sanchez, btw), is of a player playing an intuitional game. He plays simple and difficult passes fast. For a player like that, when his surroundings are structured and predictable, they can speed up the entire team. When players around them are confused or disorderly, they’ll end up misplacing simple as well as difficult passes, or revert to staying on the ball too long and losing it.

I’m guessing that Solskjær thinks Fred can become a very valuable player in the pivot, when we are more set in our play as a team, but not the other way around.

On Sanchez, Solskjær has publicly backed him from the start, lauding his work ethic, while always speaking about how he can play an important part, never about being a key starter, if memory serves.

I’m thinking Solskjær sees him as a useful option if he accepts a squad role, and takes brings his work ethic into that role. I think Sanchez too can be more useful if the team around him is more set in its play. Even if he’s lost a step, if on song, he could do a good job in the Lingard role.
Excellent post, totally agree! Intuitive players need consistent structures. For better or worse, these players are at the club, and they need to be given the chance to make it work.

kirk buttercup

well done Ole . not sure what some on here want , if he can get the best out of Sanchez and Fred?brilliant . we have a lot of games this year between PL , Europa and the cups I think all our squad will be used and if these two can help to make us better I'm on board . I for one enjoy the positivity .

Dyslexic Untied

Jesus, the state of this place. I think some posters have only seen van Gaal and Mourinho do these pressers, so they have a very distorted idea of how a manager should address the public when speaking of players on his team. Ole has more or less got every single press conference spot on, and still you have posters losing it over every other word he says.

POF

I love the way Ole carries himself in press conferences. He's such a likeable character and a breath of fresh air after his predecessors.

Joeace2020

I love Ole. I love how ruthless he acts while wearing a smiling face. He is not called the smiling assasin for nothing. I remember in the pre-season how he kept defending Lukaku and saying he was injured, only for Lukaku to keep missing games and edging closer and closer to the door.What about the first match of the season, the old heads Youngy, smalling and jonesy were nowhere to be found. I see another easy phasing out without picking fights through the media. Signs of a great manager there eh?

Jonno

The bit about Fred is interesting. I can see him becoming an important player for us this season. His energy will suit our new style I just hope he becomes more confident with the ball in possession. He can certainly do a job for us, but whether he can offer more than just running around and making it difficult for the opposition, only time will tell...
I agree.

Last season he couldnt pass to his defence because Young Smalling and Jones are scared of the ball at their feet.

Now he has Maguire and Lindelof in tandem, the former can stride out of the box and into midfield, AWB is an excellent passing option rather than Young, Pogba deeper, it just works for him much more now. Previously he was horrendously exposed. But put him alongside Pogba and McTomminay, allow Maguire AWB and Shaw to step up to midfield and suddenly we look like a quality team.

Joeace2020

You think Ole is like the last loud-mouthed grumpy manager we had? See how Lukaku's case was handled. Professionally and eecuted to perfection. Ole never maligned Lukaku to the press but was clear as day light he didn't need him. Season starts and Tuanzebe is on the bench, over Smalling, Jones? You think the manager is a fool for being cute to the press. He's a smart man and i like the way Ole is going about this team. Thank God we now have a manager who acts and talks less.

Jonno

A little unfair, once he switched with Pereira in the 2nd half he caused Chelsea all kinds of problems. He might be disliked by many because of his conduct off the pitch, but on it he still has a great finish, great vision and lots of pace and movement.

Jonno

Does anybody genuinely want to see much of Sanchez this season? I'd rather James, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong are sat on the bench instead of him. Ole can't include Sanchez regularly and fulfill his promise to involve the youth, something will have to give.
Sanchez at the top of his game is better than James, Greenwood Gomes and Chong. Like, a different league to them at this stage.

If Sanchez stays fit, gets given the correct support from Ole, he can still make a success of himself here. For all the expense and negatives to him being here, we may aswell TRY to re-ignite him and get him back to his best. He could storm it and bag 15-20 goals. Worth a pop I say, if we can't move him on.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd rather see Sanchez than Chong tbh.

Sanchez is fine as backup #9 for now.

fps

I agree.

Last season he couldnt pass to his defence because Young Smalling and Jones are scared of the ball at their feet.

Now he has Maguire and Lindelof in tandem, the former can stride out of the box and into midfield, AWB is an excellent passing option rather than Young, Pogba deeper, it just works for him much more now. Previously he was horrendously exposed. But put him alongside Pogba and McTomminay, allow Maguire AWB and Shaw to step up to midfield and suddenly we look like a quality team.
Perhaps, speaking hopefully, Ole would like the centre backs to do the boring recycling bit and the spraying it to the wings, while with Fred the instructions will be *get ball, look forward, go*. Certainly it will simplify his role, and yes, the CBs being trustworthy with the ball also means he can pass to anyone without thinking twice about it. Although last season, on several occasions he did literally pass to anyone without thinking twice about it.... #wolves

fps

I'd rather see Sanchez than Chong tbh.

Sanchez is fine as backup #9 for now.
Agreed. Sanchez is proven to have a finish in him. That said, isn't it ridiculous that it's got to that level of comparison!? Says it all about Sanchez's time at OT.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I agree that Ole can be over the top positive and that could have its adverse effects as well, but he tries at least to bolster his players confidence instead of breaking it down like Mourinho
Missed the irony?:lol:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

He's joking.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He gains nothing by throwing Fred and Sanchez to the Wolves. Something Mourinho did not understand.
It is in our interest both make meaningful contributions to our season.

Shimo

Goodness me, even if Alexis is not at the top of Ole's plans - what he has been saying publicly and maybe even privately to him is just the way to handle it - unless Sanchez is truly disruptive.

Sanchez is here, he is on a high wage, he used to be a phenomenal player and right now our forward line is thin. Ole can't control the rest of how he plays but, at least ensuring Sanchez is in a mindset that he has a lot to offer is the smart thing to do in the case he does have to call on him.

Fred also seems like he is probably one of those confidence players as well, someone that needs the carrot versus stick approach. So talking him up, putting an arm around him is the way to at least try get the best out of him.

Devil may care

Outgoings? Sanchez latest
Alexis is such a professional and he comes in working every single day really hard and wants to be a part of this. It’s these stories he’s been put in the reserves of course he hasn’t, he’s had three weeks now, he’s a few weeks behind the rest but close to being ready. Alexis we don’t have the biggest forward line in numbers so Alexis might end up playing a lot more games than you expect, we expect him to come good at this club, he’s quality.
He's a waste of time and money but as long as he doesn't get time over Greenwood and Gomes then whatever, he's done nothing in the 18 months at the club to warrant being anything but bottom of the pecking order.

Fred's chances
Your team will always play better if settled and have a good foundation and not conceding goals and good teams I played in we always had a strong base, a keeper, settled backline and we hope to provide that for our atttackers and midfielders and we believe Fred is going to have a big season as well.

Like a new signing :drool:
The defenders from last season who have been replaced must feel like shit, Rashford said the same thing last week after the match, that the team were more confident to push forward due to the new back 4. As for Fred, I think there were some games last season where we saw potential along with those, even later in the season, where he still looked raw and erratic, hopefully we will see him improve overall this season as I think him and McTominay can make a solid back-up CM partnership long term.