Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

romufc

A lot of exaggeration in your points above.

I don't believe this group of players lacks fight. There is a lack of experience in a lot of key positions which will get better over time. They are on a steep learning curve right now. We aren't all that great at the moment, but I don't believe the players are lacking heart. They want to win. None of them look like they have downed tools - more a lack of confidence sometimes which is understandable.
A lack of confidence since August?

Maybe the players do not lack fight then it comes down to manager's tactics?

When was the last time we pressed well as a team?

Experience:
DDG been here for 8/9 years
Shaw been here for 5 years
Maguire is quite experienced
Lindelof has been here 3 years
Perreira has had 2/3 loan spells
Rashford has been first team for 4 /5 years
Martial has been here 4/5 years
Pogba is a Serie A, World cup winner
Matic, Mata, Young, are all very experienced players

They haven't downed tools but the midfield of Fred, Perreira Lingard/ Mata is probably the worst in the PL, that is not an exaggeration.

Watford whom are bottom have Capoe, Docoure who are better than the ones we have.

Giggsyking

The year he left Molde they won the league again. He is not just a bad manager, he is a curse.

sparx99

What did people honestly expect from this season? Top 4? Top 6?

Look at our squad before Ole done any transfer business. We have anywhere between 10-14 players that don't feature/need replacing. Can Ole do that in 1 transfer window? No of course not that would be mental.

So situation - with each window we sell some unwanted players while signing some/intergrating youth.

Ole has been backed by the board to transition this time, key word there so I will repeat...Transition.

What generally happens in a period of transition is shaky results/poor form and lack of consistency. Sound familiar?

We are exactly where i'd expect us to be in truth. It could be better, it could be worse. Form hasn't been great, too many draws which could easily have been wins. A few wins instead of draws and this hype of Ole out isn't here, or certainly not as strong as it is now.

A lot of chatter on here moving into this season was "its a free hit, lots of youth, don't expect too much and we look to build up the squad over the next 2 windows" Now the clamour is "Sack the manager".

What benefit is there in starting a 3 year project and letting it fall down after 6 months? Havent we don't this under Moyes, LVG and Jose? Are we not learning? The only way we improve is by having the SAME strategy for a sustained period of time.....

If we sack Ole, we'll just be in the same position with the next guy in another years time. We are the new Chelsea, minus the odd league challenge, with basically makes us the equivalent of West Ham.

The club is being run atrociously. Sacking Ole isn't the answer, why people cant see that is beyond me
You can maintain the strategy by going for a philosophically similar manager. Pocchettino, for example, puts an emphasis on fitness, pressing and is happy to play younger players. It wouldn't be a massive change from what Ole is preaching. Certainly, more continuity compared to Mourinho to Ole.

This is what people mean when they say they want a DOF to implement a philosophy so that they can appoint managers and sign players who fit a style. Then if the coach is failing they can choose another coach who fits the profile of players and style of play you are trying to implement.

sparx99

Not that its a benchmark we should be celebrating, but we were much better than all of those sides you listed above. Individual errors and wondergoals cost us 7 points in those games. If you'd have said West Ham & Bournemouth then yes we were terrible - not in these ones.
Even wondergoals can be attributed to defensive breakdowns allowing a player too much time and space. At some point when your team keeps conceding worldies its likely the system letting you down.

Devil may care

I don't think him being a club legend will mean anything to the Glazers. I personally think they're already sounding out a caretaker like Hiddink to see out the season. Sacking him now will lift the gloom around the club which is starting to fester among match going fans and non match going fans due to many factors.
The thing is the fans at Old Trafford aren't openly turning on Ole and the Glazers can use that to keep him in the role longer, as I think they'd prefer to keep Ole in place as he costs a lot less than a top manager and he'll always say the right thing in regards to the club.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The year he left Molde they won the league again. He is not just a bad manager, he is a curse.
Didn't he win the title with Molde twice in a row? The first time they've ever won the league, i think. He done a good job there

Last edited:

ghagua

Leicester city who have recently won the league, have a very good squad, great owners and clearly a very good scouting system. You dismiss Leicester like they are a mid table side. I’d trade 90% of our squad and staff with Leicester city right now. They should be our benchmark to get us climbing the league, not a team to mock.
But Leicester were a midtable team. They were battling to stay out of the relegation zone soon after winning the title and losing Kante, and then Mahrez.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
But Leicester were a midtable team. They were battling to stay out of the relegation zone soon after winning the title and losing Kante, and then Mahrez.
But generally they are on the up over a given length of time they have been fantastic, Division 1 in 08-09 to winning the PL in 15-16, this whole "a certain team has a certain status and they should stay in it" needs serious revision. The game has moved on massively in the last 10 years.

Sterling Archer

So to be honest I never looked into his exact time as Molde manager. I remember hearing he won the league with them and got them first place in a Europa League group. Still felt the Cardiff time was a bad sign.

Well upon your post I decided to delve deeper.

Molde's League places
2nd - pre Ole
11th - pre Ole
1st - Ole
1st - Ole
6th - Ole
1st - new manager (Cardiff time for Ole)
6th - Ole
5th - Ole
2nd - Ole
2nd - Ole
1st - new manager

:lol:

Roboc7

Why is anyone being 'conned' into thinking there is a plan? There are smart people who want Ole out and have their reasons, and there are smart people who want to back this project, and they have their reasons too. Stop thinking that anyone who doesn't think the way you do is a gullible idiot.

I think Ole might be in trouble if we lose both games badly this week. I get the feeling there are quite a few on here who want us to see us lose these matches.
Quite simple really the people who everyone is so quick to blame (quite rightly) like Woodward and co. Are the same ones telling everyone there is a plan and to let them carry it out. They’ve already messed up the summer window, messed up contract extensions and taken club backwards. They’ll also ditch this plan as quick as they hastily threw it together because we beat PSG.

It is a con because you are letting incompetent people tell you they will sort it all out, just given them 3 years (might already be adding heat onto that as this season has already gone way off plan).

I’m not saying people are stupid, it’s more emotive really. What people like about the three year plan is it has an end date. In three years time we’ll be good, that’s better than indefinitely.

Reality is though we haven’t gone out and appointed the best manager, there’s no elite coaching team, no DOF and no reshuffle behind the scenes. At best it’s a half arsed plan and lazy excuse to buy time.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
They haven't downed tools but the midfield of Fred, Perreira Lingard/ Mata is probably the worst in the PL, that is not an exaggeration.
I'm certainly not going to deny that. I actually think this might be the worst engine room of any side in the division. Its why I find much of the attacking of the manager to be over the top.

Darlington Padgett

So to be honest I never looked into his exact time as Molde manager. I remember hearing he won the league with them and got them first place in a Europa League group. Still felt the Cardiff time was a bad sign.

Molde's League places
2nd - pre Ole
11th - pre Ole
1st - Ole
1st - Ole
6th - Ole
6th - Ole
5th - Ole
2nd - Ole
2nd - Ole
1st - new manager

The worse part is United paid Molde to take him away from them :lol:

NWRed

Why is anyone being 'conned' into thinking there is a plan? There are smart people who want Ole out and have their reasons, and there are smart people who want to back this project, and they have their reasons too. Stop thinking that anyone who doesn't think the way you do is a gullible idiot.

I think Ole might be in trouble if we lose both games badly this week. I get the feeling there are quite a few on here who want us to see us lose these matches.
I'm not sure about people wanting us to lose but I agree. A couple of embarassing losses, especially to Mourinho and City, could change the tone of the media speculation and given the way Woodward seems overly sensitive to how he's perceived, that could mean the end of Ole.

United Hobbit

Ole looks like he's aged 10 years in that photo since he got the job.

I think this is all coming to a boil now. We lose both matches, he's as good as gone. I just hope the club does not make another monumental feck up in appointing the next manager. I'm not convinced our current form is down to just Ole's coaching and tactics. The entire coaching staff needs cleaned out if Ole has to go.
He does he is starting to have the similar body language to Moyes sitting slumped on the bench and inane grinning and this press conference today has wound me up. I am NOT saying I've lost respect for him as a player, I will forever be thankful to him especially for THAT moment in 99 however as a MANAGER he isnt up to such a huge task. He has the right intentions and love for the club but so do a lot of people on here- would they be appointed as manager of Manchester United, no of course not! He is also starting to sound like Moyes with what he says the whole needing to put a few wins together sounds nearly as bad as Moyes and his aspiring to City's level it adds to the impression he doesn't know how to fix it more shut your eyes and hope stage.
I think while I loved the run he went on when he first came in, I think it hurt him more than anything, had that not happened and we'd just done ok they wouldn't have rushed to appoint him, the subsequent results may have unfolded or the players would have kept playing to maximum effort as they dont know who the manager was, leading us to get top 4 waiting was a win win situation as if the bad run unfolded we could have simply said thank you for looking after us and stepping in for the rest of the season and waved goodbye.
He doesn't even seem to be feeling any pressure based on that press conference you'd think there would at least be meetings about performance concerns and his plans to get us out this rut which may force him to change things up a bit if he knows he's under pressure but on he grins.
I think it doesn't help, aside from Phelan, he has very inexperienced coaches so no one to "help" him Carrick was appointed by Jose and was going to be learning from him, Phelan has been in Australia and the league has changed a lot since he was last assisting in it and McKenna has been with the youth and weve seen what a step up youth to PL is.
He also said he wanted to work on fitness yet while there have been some improvements we haven't seen the intense press he spoke about- if that's the main thing he wanted to work on I'd expect it to be what we are best at
I completely agree Ole is merely a piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit but as he is one of the biggest ones, being the manager, he is out of his depth and we need to part ways with him as unfortunately the fairy tale we hoped for isn't going to happen its currently looking more like a nightmare
I wonder if the fact so many other managers have been underperforming has taken the press heat off Ole a bit now they are getting sacked their attention will turn to him.
I also wonder if the players aren't looking like they aren't playing for him because he gives them a fairly easy ride. I cant imagine him giving them the hair dryer though I know people have said he can do, he just seems too nice. Obviously Jose was too far the other end of the scale but are the players enjoying being given a lot of rope by him so of course they want him to stay. There was an article in the paper the other day about the various fines Lampard has brought in at Chelsea and they seem to have no problem playing for him, I would compare Ole to Lampard and while they have just lost and are dodgy defensively they have also had the transfer ban and lost their best player yet Lampard is taking them forward and when he is allowed to sign players I can see them progressing more.
Obviously we all know Woodward needs moving to the corporate side only and a DOF appointed however this is a thread about Ole.
As an aside I think we will beat or draw with at least one of Tottenham and City which will buy him loads more time as the board will take the view we aren't "expected" to win. We will then probably lose to Colchester or Everton or something and the cycle will continue

TheReligion

Abusive
Because I have read that sentence too many times on here: „we are not a sacking club“.

Number of Managers in the last ten years:

Manchester United: 6
Manchester City: 5
Liverpool: 5
Chelsea: 13
Arsenal: 3

Bayern: 11
Real: 8
Barcelona: 5
Was Giggs sacked?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Going to be fun on here when Ole isn't sacked.

He isn't going to be you know. Not until at least the summer and maybe not even then.

When eventually you do get your way, and Ole is gone, I'm going to watch with a wry smile as the next manager fails horribly and then scratch my head when you're all calling for him to be sacked and claim that some other flavour of the month is the one to fix it.

Pochettino is obviously a better manager than Ole. I'm still convinced he'd make no difference beyond a temporary manager bounce then it'd be back to shit results again.

Giggsyking

He isn't going to be you know. Not until at least the summer and maybe not even then.

When eventually you do get your way, and Ole is gone, I'm going to watch with a wry smile as the next manager fails horribly and then scratch my head when you're all calling for him to be sacked and claim that some other flavour of the month is the one to fix it.

Pochettino is obviously a better manager than Ole. I'm still convinced he'd make no difference beyond a temporary manager bounce then it'd be back to shit results again.
So you are just assuming and you are not building anything on facts, thank you for your opinion.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
So you are just assuming and you are not building anything on facts, thank you for your opinion.
Great response. Well done.

I shall move aside for all the great fact givers that will be along shortly to tell me that it is a fact that Ole will be sacked and that Pochettino will be a success.

Fahct

Member 90887

Was Giggs sacked?
No, but it helps his/her point. So ...

And plus, Arsenal shouldn't be counted, Wenger just left.

Chelsea, City won multiple premier leagues since then. You'd both would have less managers than us...

Real, Barça and Bayern multiple league titles and CLs and even then, they had more managers than us.

It really leaves us, with poor results but having had 5 managers in the last 10 years. Any other club and they would have had way more.

So no, we're pretty patient with managers and we are not a sacking club in this era where 10 bad games get you the sack.

Those stats show the contrary to what he/she is trying to prove.

Giggsyking

Great response. Well done.

I shall move aside for all the great fact givers that will be along shortly to tell me that it is a fact that Ole will be sacked and that Pochettino will be a success.

Fahct
No, but we can give facts about Poch's success building teams in the EPL, doing so with maintaining good football and good positions in the league.

peridigm

I'm not for sacking Ole unless serious changes are made with regards to football decisions. His days are numbered though. I agree with your last statement, if we do nothing more than change managers and change nothing else, it will the same in 1, 2, or 3 years time. That is the most frustrating thing about all of this. Ole and Ed can talk about their "plan" but if it looks like shit and smells like shit, it's most likely shit.

United Hobbit

I'm suddenly seeing a flurry of sacking/ borrowed time related speculation articles, some sources more reputable than others. Of course it is all speculation but the papers have turned the heat under him up just that little bit.
I think it is partly linked to the fact the likes of Emery etc who were also under performing are now sacked so he is at the next biggest club to report on

Darlington Padgett

I'm suddenly seeing a flurry of sacking/ borrowed time related speculation articles, some sources more reputable than others. Of course it is all speculation but the papers have turned the heat under him up just that little bit.
I think it is partly linked to the fact the likes of Emery etc who were also under performing are now sacked so he is at the next biggest club to report on
I think Poch being available is the main reason why they're puttin pressure.

ROFLUTION

I think Poch being available is the main reason why they're puttin pressure.
Arsenal, Spurs just sacked a manager with similar points this year, so if thats the benchmark for more proven managers, surely Ole shouldnt be safe in his seat. 18 points in 14 games, really not good enough for any manager at a club of our size

90 + 5min

Molde's League places
2nd - pre Ole
11th - pre Ole
1st - Ole
1st - Ole
6th - Ole
6th - Ole
5th - Ole
2nd - Ole
2nd - Ole
1st - new manager

Ole made Molde what they are right now. People that don't now anything should invastigate that better by looking what he has done at the club.

Funny how people with agenda loves to mix with figures. From forgetting to take half of his results in win ratio stats to talking about relegation form when we have 6th best form in country looking at last 5 and 9th best looking at last 10. What people would do just for witchhunting.

To say Molde came 6th with Ole when he arrived in oktober is bizarre. He won the league twice and broke Rosenborg dominance. Third year was not that good. He left for Cardiff. When he came back to Molde he had to take Molde back on track again after a bad season. Piece by piece he made them better and when we came calling he left a team that were best in the country.

Sterling Archer

Ole made Molde what they are right now. People that don't now anything should invastigate that better by looking what he has done at the club.

Funny how people with agenda loves to mix with figures. From forgetting to take half of his results in win ratio stats to talking about relegation form when we have 6th best form in country looking at last 5 and 9th best looking at last 10. What people would do just for witchhunting.

To say Molde came 6th with Ole when he arrived in oktober is bizarre. He won the league twice and broke Rosenborg dominance. Third year was not that good. He left for Cardiff. When he came back to Molde he had to take Molde back on track again after a bad season. Piece by piece he made them better and when we came calling he left a team that were best in the country.
Actually, Molde won the league when Ole left for Cardiff then dropped back to 6th when he returned. Followed by another 5th.

Fine and dandy for Molde. But that my friend is NOT the caliber of manager for Manchester United to gamble their future on.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I wish people would read back their posts before hitting send and decide whether they are actually being respectful to the man for what he achieved at the club.

Some of the posts on this page are bordering on being a bit of a disgrace.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its sacking season. This time last month the heat was on Emery and there was speculation about Pochettino. Ole wasnt getting any articles because (a) the press seemed to understand what we are trying to do here and (b) those guys were still in jobs.

Now both are gone and pages need to be filled it will naturally turn to Ole, especially given the recent drawn matches.

Most people claim to ignore the media until they start writing things they want them to write

Eriku

Oh piss off, they’d never won the league until his took them over. Go fecking talk to a Molde supporter and see if that bullshit goes down well.

el3mel

So you'll be enjoying seeing us failing under the next manager to prove your point ? :lol:

RUCK4444

I wish people would read back their posts before hitting send and decide whether they are actually being respectful to the man for what he achieved at the club.

Some of the posts on this page are bordering on being a bit of a disgrace.
Agree, it’s a Disgrace mate, people have a right to their opinion on whether he’s good enough as a manager, fair enough, make a constructive argument either way - but fans shouldn’t have to come here, to a United forum, and have the name of a United hero dragged through the mud.

There’s a certain section of posters that you feel would literally revel in Ole’s sacking and are willing him to fail.
Those people simply don’t have the same affection for the club and it’s history, that in itself is the epitome of plastic fandom.

SteveW

You can't absolve Ole of blame here. The board we know is naive but Ole at this level of management showed a naivety that is expected of such a inexperienced manager by targeted players to change the culture of the dressing room and we've subsequently ended up with a dire midfield.
I don't really think the dire midfield is on Ole. He sold Fellaini who was only useful as a backup striker. Herrera left because he got an insane contract offer from PSG and basically said his mind was already made up before Ole came. Matic's leg's were gone before Jose even signed him. Fred was another stupid Jose signing who seems completely unsuited to the PL.

Should Ole really have come into a situation where Pogba and McTominay were our only viable midfield options? Is that really Ole's fault. That strikes me as awful squad building from his predecessors. It seems unlikely that Ole was happy with the group of CMs. He clearly hates the sight of Matic and he only started picking Fred in matchday squads when the injuries piled up. He's alluded to Pereira "doing a job down to injuries" as opposed to him being there out of choice. If people think this is Ole's ideal group of midfielders they are sadly mistaken. There is zero chance he was happy with what he had.

So the question becomes why didn't we sign one during the summer? Were the right ones not available? Did Ed veto deals? Did they decide to try and scrape through to January rather than waste millions on another player that they'd end up wanting to sell. Did Ole agree with this approach? I honestly have no fecking idea.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Did that PL table calculator until 1st of January. Tried to do it as unbaised, as objective as possible, taking into consideration all the teams current form so far. Expecting Everton to have a new manager, Spurs continuing to improve under Jose. Chelsea doing well with occasional feck up. Leicester doing very well and I've also used either 0-0 or 1-1 or 2-1 score variations for all the teams, as it wouldn't make much difference as its still only just over half of the season.

That's what my table looks like. Safe to say it'll get worse before it will get better. I mean if we're going into the new year closer to relegation that to top 4 spot then there is no fecking way I want Ole anywhere near United long term.

Liverpool FC21182138:142456
2Leicester City21154242:132949
3Manchester City21144349:193046
4Chelsea FC21124534:231140
5Tottenham Hotspur21116432:23939
6Crystal Palace2195720:22-232
7Wolverhampton Wanderers21612323:20330
8Sheffield United2178622:18429
9Arsenal FC21611427:27029
10Newcastle United2176819:27-827
11Manchester United21510625:22325
12Burnley FC2167825:28-325
13West Ham United2159722:28-624
14Aston Villa21651025:27-223
15Everton FC21471017:27-1019
16AFC Bournemouth21461121:28-718
17Brighton & Hove Albion21451219:29-1017
18Norwich City21351319:38-1914
19Southampton FC21351318:40-2214
20Watford FC21171311:35-2410

Here's the link if anyone wants to use it.

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/