Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

doriandun

People keep on harping on about Brendan ROgers, but out of his transfer at Liverpool only Milner, a decent pro, Adam Lallana, Divock Origi and Firmino are still at Liverpool, not forgetting Lovern, a player that Klopp has tried to get rid of, good coach, but really poor in the tansfer market.

Thats four players from 33 from July 2012 to Sept 2015

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People keep on harping on about Brendan ROgers, but out of his transfer at Liverpool only Milner, a decent pro, Adam Lallana, Divock Origi and Firmino are still at Liverpool, not forgetting Lovern, a player that Klopp has tried to get rid of, good coach, but really poor in the tansfer market.

Thats four players from 33 from July 2012 to Sept 2015
Have to remember he was still a very young coach and green in the transfer market for a big club. He's undoubtedly learned from that and developed a better understanding of players since.

doriandun

Every manager buys stinkers though, find me one with a 100% record.
My point is not that Brendan has bought alot of stinkers, but the Job at Man Utd, requires someone who could build a team as Klopp has done at Liverpool, if Brendan was thinking of a next move in a year or two Arsenal,Bayern or Chelsea would be better suited to his skill set.

The same with Poch, it's alot easier to build a team over 3 to 4 years than have to go into a club and hit the ground running, compete at the top table, and win trophies.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm personally not asking for a manager to come in and make us champions in his first season, hell I don't even need us to be challenging instantly, but I want to see progress, something I haven't with Ole, and he's been here nearly a year.

Greck

The same type of fan pressure that’s calling for his sack?

;)
That's included in the point, they shouldn't need fan pressure to also know that. Independent thought should inform that decision if they had any

Foxbatt

Even Brucie is above him in the table at this moment in time.

432JuanMata

14th at the moment need a win tomorrow. If somehow we lose he actually could be sacked soon

el3mel

Winning tomorrow might make us jump back to 7th.

Let's see how we'll fare against Brighton's double decker bus.

soapythecat

So, defeat today and What does Woodward do? The league position and performances in the league will be difficult to ignore.
The threat of a relegation battle will surely be too much for the board to anticipate and must act.
At what point does league performance and position take priority over cup standings?
Talk about a must win game today. Ole has to go balls out for a win today. Any of this slow and pathetic build up stuff and we will lose today.

Fletchageddon

You guys are all crazy. Can you not remember this time last year? We've got some really exciting young players coming through, we've got rid of nearly all the poison from the dressing room. We're realistically looking at 5th or 6th this year which considering our squad depth is pretty incredible. At the end of this year we could have refreshed the squad and finished 5th. Which would allow is to start challenging again. I'd have bit your hand off for that last year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You guys are all crazy. Can you not remember this time last year? We've got some really exciting young players coming through, we've got rid of nearly all the poison from the dressing room. We're realistically looking at 5th or 6th this year which considering our squad depth is pretty incredible. At the end of this year we could have refreshed the squad and finished 5th. Which would allow is to start challenging again. I'd have bit your hand off for that last year.
5th or 6th is incredible :lol:

RedCurry

5th or 6th is incredible :lol:
Surely context is important. If the outlook at the end of the season is that we are on the way up then 5th or 6th isn’t bad. But if there’s no progress is our play and tactics, then 5th or 6th is really bad.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Surely context is important. If the outlook at the end of the season is that we are on the way up then 5th or 6th isn’t bad. But if there’s no progress is our play and tactics, then 5th or 6th is really bad.
In no scenario is it incredible

passing-wind

Just managed to get out of the relegation region, 7th in the league almost 10 points off the top four and it's only November.

For the life of me I can't see why fans would agree to sack Mourinho / Moyes and LVG for missing out on top four but give Ole the justification of keeping his job on the basis of how the squad is perceived ? When you consider that 90% of people wrote Chelsea off this season because of their squad, now they are playing good football, all the basis for arguments sake has changed to fit the narrative of Solskjaer adopting an inept team despite having a full pre season and transfer window which last year was all that was needed.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Just managed to get out of the relegation region, 7th in the league almost 10 points off the top four and it's only November.

For the life of me I can't see why fans would agree to sack Mourinho / Moyes and LVG for missing out on top four but give Ole the justification of keeping his job on the basis of how the squad is perceived ? When you consider that 90% of people wrote Chelsea off this season because of their squad, now they are playing good football, all the basis for arguments sake has changed to fit the narrative of Solskjaer adopting an inept team despite having a full pre season and transfer window which last year was all that was needed.
They are also sat in 3rd, above City, 10 points above Utd...

Solskjaer has also had about 6 months longer with this squad than Lampard.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In no scenario is it incredible
Exactly

Don't disagree with that. But "on the way up" cannot be used lightly. Going merely from 14th placed poor form to a 6h placed finish is not the progress we need. If we've genuinely made progress in our football, instilled proper excellence in how we play and the improvement of players (see Pep, Simeone, Klopp, Pochettino and other top managers for reference), then a 5th/6th placed finish is acceptable. Playing the football we have so far done under Ole, this would not be enough.

AshRK

Exactly

Don't disagree with that. But "on the way up" cannot be used lightly. Going merely from 14th placed poor form to a 6h placed finish is not the progress we need. If we've genuinely made progress in our football, instilled proper excellence in how we play and the improvement of players (see Pep, Simeone, Klopp, Pochettino and other top managers for reference), then a 5th/6th placed finish is acceptable. Playing the football we have so far done under Ole, this would not be enough.
Fair point. I think if we consistently play the football we played against Brighton and finish 5th or 6th then I would be ok with Ole continuing. I seriously hope he takes the cup competitions seriously. I would want him to get us a trophy be it league cup only.

croadyman

Make no mistake the board's loyalty to Ole could really be tested now that Pochettino is available. Yes I know he didn't win anything at Spurs but still doesn't put me off wanting the guy one bit.

Ancient Of Days

Big wins over Brighton at home, Partizan Belgrade and Norwich prove he's a top top football manager as Arry Redknapp would say.

No other manager in the world would be able to achieve such legendary feats with this squad after spending 130 million on top of squad valued over 300 million!

norm87cro

People seem to have not read the first post. I'm going with the conventional May 2020 and probably the announcement of Poch after that. (aldo I'm not going to be happy about that scenario)

soapythecat

The next two games are very winnable. I think he will get the transfer window now and that could save him.
No transfers, or no midfield reinforcements, and I think he won’t see past February.

C'est Moi Cantona

The next two games are very winnable. I think he will get the transfer window now and that could save him.
No transfers, or no midfield reinforcements, and I think he won’t see past February.
If he needs the January transfer window to save him then he's screwed, it is a window only for the desperate, and generally only crap is bought then, yet every season it is made out to be something else.

We sure as hell aren't getting Maddison, Sancho, or Haaland then, so surely if we just sign whatever is available, the it will go against our mantra of only buying 'the right players' anyway.

Zlatattack

Why do we as a club insist on flogging dead horses? Ole is out of his depth.

arthurka

Use him to get Haaland onboard then get him out. That first half sealed it for me, just shocking.

Alabaster Codify7

Woodward should bite the bullet this week, get him done. Get him out of the club, or, even give him the DOF role as that might work a bit better.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him fired by Tuesday. If Pochettino was still at Spurs, no, I wouldn't feel the same way. It feels like the perfect storm for a reactionary bloke like Woodward.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Woodward should bite the bullet this week, get him done. Get him out of the club, or, even give him the DOF role as that might work a bit better.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him fired by Tuesday. If Pochettino was still at Spurs, no, I wouldn't feel the same way. It feels like the perfect storm for a reactionary bloke like Woodward.
You want him sacked but throw a dig at Woodward being reactionary?

Is it necessary to have a sack watch thread when there is already an Ole discussion thread? It's a bit unseemly, if you ask me. If a change is made, we can discuss it, but do we need a thread dedicated to the arrival of the executioner? Just my opinion.

CM10

Is today really a game to use as justification for getting rid? Even if the performance wasn't great for large parts, we're having to contend with a lot of injuries right now so Solskjaer's hands have been tied to some extent. Sheffield United are also a very well organised team and probably the best of the rest outside the traditional top 6 and Leicester.

I think he's earned the right to be given until the end of season barring a complete nosedive in form. We're scoring goals again, the young players who have been integrated so far have done well and the recruitment has been better than any other manager post-Ferguson. Worse managers have been given more time to turn it around in the last 5 years and any potential replacements would still have the same teething problems with this depleted squad.

soapythecat

Needs to beat AV or I feel bad results to Spurs and City and he’s gone.
I thought he’d get the window to sort it out but Spurs playing well and Arsenal about to get a new manager, and things not looking rosy unless we get points on the board.