Solskjær sack watch | 2019/20 edition

Alabaster Codify7

What if we'd not conceded late against Sheffield and been 5th. Would he be good enough then?

What if we'd had Martial and Pogba available for the whole season and been 6 points better off than we are, or even more. Would he be good enough then?

What if he hadn't inherited a squad bloated with players not contributing, or not wanting to be here, all on insane salaries that were bleeding the club dry. Would he be good enough then?

There are countless other what ifs. The fact that you think its so simple just reflects poorly on you. You are looking at short term results over the longer term benefit of the club.
Roy Hodgson is currently 5th - is he good enough to manage United? Honest answer.

Because if you'd deem Ole to be doing okay if he was 5th, then why would you be against Roy managing us given he's achieved more in his career, beat Ole head-to-head and is managing a team with a much smaller budget than ours.

Craig Ward

This isn't transition mate, it's visible decline. We looked shite against the likes of Palace, Wolves and Southampton with a full strength team - this isn't just about injuries.

St Pat's in Maesteg wouldn't stand for this, let alone the supposed biggest club in the world!
We're no worse now than we have been for a few seasons, Poch would make a difference initially but he'd be hampered by the board at some point too.

I don't enjoy some of the stuff I've watched under Ole, but I didn't under Jose either, or LVG, or Moyes.

We've been sub standard and in decline for a long time

Squad needs a complete revamp

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What long term benefit does ole reigns brings?

Do enlighten us.

What's the best case scenario here? What's his endgame in 3 years? Does his method is too complicated he need 3 years before we're playing tiki taka combined with total football? Does he needs a full xi before we can play with any resemblance of tactics? So we're just gonna blindly support him because he says he needs 3 years and another 500m before he can be judged?

If the difference between good enough and not good enough is a late goal away against sheffield united than i guess we're not good enough.
Its not about what Oles endgame is, its about what is right for the club. What do I think?

The club realised the squad is a mess and the decision was made to gut the squad and focus on developing our talented youth players while bringing in the right kind of new player. We all know what that demographic is - young, the right mentality, ideally but not exclusively British. We will not complete with City or Liverpool while they are as strong as they are now without the kind of massive investment that would put our club in financial peril, so we build a squad of players gradually over the next few windows with a view that the team will improve and peak within the next 2-3 seasons.

Heres the downside to that plan - patience. Asking for patience from a fanbase many of whom only know success is a big one. It takes balls. We are trying to clear up the mess made in the last 5 years - a time in which only Pogba and Martial are signings made that are currently considered to be part of our best XI. Hundreds of millions squandered. That doesn't get repaired in one window with an £80m net spend.

Do I think Ole is the right manager for every phase of this rebuild? No, but I do think he is the right manager for the here and now. Re-establishing the culture of this squad, the winning mentality, bringing in leaders. This guy played under Ferguson and was a part of an era of consistent winners. He will know what that takes, and what the ingredients are. How the structure was, how the players reacted, how they stayed hungry. Its a step-by-step process. The footballing equivalent of the Tuckman method.

I'm not happy with the results of late any more than you are. I think we've been unlucky with injuries. I think our league position is a fairly adequate reflection of how strong this squad is right now. On the positive side I also think we are 2-3 signings away from having a really exciting & balanced squad. We will probably lose the next two games because our midfield options are hopeless and the pressure on Ole will grow, possibly even to the point where Woodward reacts to it and does something. If that happens I pray that we hire someone who will continue with this project otherwise I fear that we will really will be looking another 5-10 years before we are sitting back at the top table.

If the worst happens though I think Ole has put his reputation on the line here in a big way and has been dealt a really shitty hand, all because he loves this club and is desperate to be the guy that takes us forward. That deserves respect. Many of the comments and jokes and name calling I've seen on this forum are a disgrace and many of those entitled, spoilt supporters don't deserve to have enjoyed the ridiculous run of success we've seen in our lifetimes. Go to matches and talk to fans in real life and the patience is there, the understanding of the project is there. This forum is not a reflection of how the entire fanbase feel.

laughtersassassin

We're no worse now than we have been for a few seasons, Poch would make a difference initially but he'd be hampered by the board at some point too.

I don't enjoy some of the stuff I've watched under Ole, but I didn't under Jose either, or LVG, or Moyes.

We are way worse now. We have one 4 games. 4.

We have been crap for a long time but this is a new level of crap.

Again you don't stick with your worst manager ever cause the board are crap. If we are going to take that stance get a manager that's proven to be decent and stick with them.

Yes that sounds like Jose but the our toxic nature of Jose meant he had to go.

Ole has to go cause he is not a good manager.

Alabaster Codify7

I agree, but this is not the man to do it.

Ole has absolutely no track record or current performance indicators to suggest he is capable of rebuilding Brighton, let alone a big club.

Everything about Ole's performances on and off the field suggest he isn't fit for purpose.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I agree, but this is not the man to do it.

Ole has absolutely no track record or current performance indicators to suggest he is capable of rebuilding Brighton, let alone a big club.

Everything about Ole's performances on and off the field suggest he isn't fit for purpose.
Hes the least qualified manager in the pl to manage united apart from being an ex player. Dalglish actually had league titles to his name in his 2nd stint.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Mirror suggesting Southgate is a target for ya we get rid of OGS. I know it's the Mirror but it isn't the first time he's been linked.

Horrible if true.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Its not about what Oles endgame is, its about what is right for the club. What do I think?

The club realised the squad is a mess and the decision was made to gut the squad and focus on developing our talented youth players while bringing in the right kind of new player. We all know what that demographic is - young, the right mentality, ideally but not exclusively British. We will not complete with City or Liverpool while they are as strong as they are now without the kind of massive investment that would put our club in financial peril, so we build a squad of players gradually over the next few windows with a view that the team will improve and peak within the next 2-3 seasons.

Heres the downside to that plan - patience. Asking for patience from a fanbase many of whom only know success is a big one. It takes balls. We are trying to clear up the mess made in the last 5 years - a time in which only Pogba and Martial are signings made that are currently considered to be part of our best XI. Hundreds of millions squandered. That doesn't get repaired in one window with an £80m net spend.

Do I think Ole is the right manager for every phase of this rebuild? No, but I do think he is the right manager for the here and now. Re-establishing the culture of this squad, the winning mentality, bringing in leaders. This guy played under Ferguson and was a part of an era of consistent winners. He will know what that takes, and what the ingredients are. How the structure was, how the players reacted, how they stayed hungry. Its a step-by-step process. The footballing equivalent of the Tuckman method.

I'm not happy with the results of late any more than you are. I think we've been unlucky with injuries. I think our league position is a fairly adequate reflection of how strong this squad is right now. On the positive side I also think we are 2-3 signings away from having a really exciting & balanced squad. We will probably lose the next two games because our midfield options are hopeless and the pressure on Ole will grow, possibly even to the point where Woodward reacts to it and does something. If that happens I pray that we hire someone who will continue with this project otherwise I fear that we will really will be looking another 5-10 years before we are sitting back at the top table.

If the worst happens though I think Ole has put his reputation on the line here in a big way and has been dealt a really shitty hand, all because he loves this club and is desperate to be the guy that takes us forward. That deserves respect. Many of the comments and jokes and name calling I've seen on this forum are a disgrace and many of those entitled, spoilt supporters don't deserve to have enjoyed the ridiculous run of success we've seen in our lifetimes. Go to matches and talk to fans in real life and the patience is there, the understanding of the project is there. This forum is not a reflection of how the entire fanbase feel.
You call the last 5 years as a mess.

But looking at how it goes if the board supports ole's plan we'll be looking for haaland for 80m and a few hundred more down for midfielder.

In order for this to work ole must won more than what lvg jose won in 5 years. Otherwise he'd be spending more and obtained less.

Fans seems to think the end game for the club is the 2nd fergie, a new class of 92 and another 2 decades of domination

Alabaster Codify7

Mirror suggesting Southgate is a target for ya we get rid of OGS. I know it's the Mirror but it isn't the first time he's been linked.

Horrible if true.

Makes perfect sense to be honest (not in a good way).

The board can spin it perfectly.

- Younger manager who likes using young British players.
- Not used to having any kind of budget to work with = low maintenance.
- Will continue to pursue this apparent 'plan' of only signing young Brits.
- Media will love him as he's English and give him an easy ride.
- Good PR move - England manager now the Man Utd manager. Social media will be ablaze.
- Most importantly...…….another 'happy to be here' participation trophy winner in the making.

lsd

The Oracle
No way anyone is stupid enough to give Southgate a top job and its redundant anyway as Ole won't be getting the sack any time soon

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Woodward has said recently he believes in Ole's long-term vision and the board are not even contemplating sacking him anytime soon.

So don't start jizzing yourselves if we get hammered tonight.

romufc

I'm certainly not going to deny that. I actually think this might be the worst engine room of any side in the division. Its why I find much of the attacking of the manager to be over the top.
It might be over the top but we have 4 wins in the league. We don't need a world class team to win some of those games.

The Bloody-Nine

Woodward has said recently he believes in Ole's long-term vision and the board are not even contemplating sacking him anytime soon.

Ed has never exactly proven to be a man of his word.

Mainoldo

He’ll always save his neck. Ole will continue to bring more heat to him if this continues and it will continue. After tonight expect a very unhappy fan base.

Roboc7

Woodward has polished a turd and all you are doing is saying how shiny it is. Your saying how the last 5 years have been a mess and then next sentence backing the same people responsible for that to now sort it out, with the help of worst manager we’ve had in Premier League.

I have no idea why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to keep looking backwards and that cliches and knowing the club is actually some kind of evidence of something positive being established.

How many players who played under SAF have actually been good managers?. SAF is gone, there was no United way just the SAF way, that’s long gone as well. We’re not getting back to that even if Ole is here for ten years.

romufc

We are way worse now. We have one 4 games. 4.

We have been crap for a long time but this is a new level of crap.

Again you don't stick with your worst manager ever cause the board are crap. If we are going to take that stance get a manager that's proven to be decent and stick with them.

Yes that sounds like Jose but the our toxic nature of Jose meant he had to go.

Ole has to go cause he is not a good manager.
Fans have failed to grasp this. 4 wins in the PL is poor, whatever board. The board might be crap but they have spent £150m this summer.

If you had a proactive manager, we would have signed Tielemans, Ziyech and Bruno Fernandez all on decent prices.

If we had a decent manager who can make players better we would be top 4.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Fans have failed to grasp this. 4 wins in the PL is poor, whatever board. The board might be crap but they have spent £150m this summer.

If you had a proactive manager, we would have signed Tielemans, Ziyech and Bruno Fernandez all on decent prices.

If we had a decent manager who can make players better we would be top 4.
Thos 3 players and no maguire (keep smailing) would perform better than our current lot

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Woodward is a puppet for the shareholders and sponsors.

If we lose tonight and the weekend the pressure to sack him might be irresistable from more than just the fans.

Rauður Djöfull

That wasn’t to dismiss that argument - people never wanted us to become a sacking club but we are clearly one due to the sheer incompetence of our board.
every club is a sacking club, unless you are winning titles or the manager is getting the team to perform way above club standards and expectations and does something huge for the club or historic like get them to PL for the first time, and even then eventually manager will get sacked once results disappear

Alabaster Codify7

every club is a sacking club, unless you are winning titles or the manager is getting the team to perform way above club standards and expectations and does something huge for the club or historic like get them to PL for the first time, and even then eventually manager will get sacked once results disappear

Exactly. The only difference between United and any other club ever, is that we had an absolute monster of a boss who reigned supreme for 26yrs and consistently won us big honours for the vast majority of those 26yrs. He built up a huge amount of goodwill that saw him given leeway to fail for a couple of years, because it was highly likely he'd bounce back to success again.

If he'd gone 5yrs without a major trophy, theyd have sacked him, no questions asked.

We are no different than any other football club and some fans need to wake up and smell that coffee. The aim is win. It is competitive sport.

JMack1234

We stuck with Ole for a while yet.

It'll all come to head if/when we're knocked out the Europa League and we're still staring down the barrel of another season of the Europa League if we're even in a position to qualify for that.

Russky14

Horrible if true.

He's not up to it end of. Team England culture works because its like going to the Scout camp a couple of times a year dib dib dib dob dob dob. When its week in week out and he has to deal with our throughput of little talent then he is goosed.

There is no class of 92 anymore the game has moved on and its delusional or is it a game plan from master blaster Woody viz a vie the fans. If you believe this you are delusional.

Scouserpool are only where they are via the post Neymar Countinho hyper inflated sale that gave then 150m. Just think about it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't mind Southgate, tbh. His team style is pretty good.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Honestly, this is how I feel as well. We can blame all we want about the board and the CEO, but they are here as long as they want to be here; it's not like they are going to sack themselves or sell the club just because we are not doing well on the pitch. That does not absolve managers of their responsibilities, however. Ole was never the solution to any of our problems, but he is fast becoming one of our most serious problems. Sacking him is tautological.
The Board has the authority to sack the CEO.

Unfortunately, the CEO made/makes a lot of money for a number of board members.

I think it would require a lawsuit from shareholders with respect to fiduciary duty to get the board to act but that probably wouldn't get far because Woodward is great at bringing in commercial contracts. Also, the only shares that matter are held by the Glazers so this presents another level of difficulty.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Horrible if true.
Shut up, Bubz. It's the Mirror.

Also, why would Southgate, who's set for an exciting and prosperous European adventure in the summer come to Manchester and murder his career?

reddev3

Why do people keeping mentioning 5th like it's some magical safe zone to show the manager isn't doing a bad job, I have read "we could go 5th" or "win this and we're 5th" over and over again recently. The truth is that it's points that matter and even if we were 5th we would still be 11 points behind Leicester.

Ole has countless chances to turn this team around and countless times he has failed. I didn't wan't his sacking until as recently as the last two games or so but the writing is on the wall now, he isn't good enough.

reddev3

Also these excuses for getting a draw in EVERY game because of an isolated incident, these things happen every game to every team. It's why the good teams beat most average teams (because they can create enough chances to overcompensate the odd bit of bad luck/mistake) and big games can go either way because the teams are evenly matched so who does the mistake or gets the luck normally wins.

The way we are playing, bemoaning the odd missed chance or dodgy decision against middle to bottom teams and then getting a draw shows how closely matched to these types of teams we are.

we could have easily lost the lost Liverpool game if a foul was given in the run up to our goal and we have had a tonne of pens already, on the balance of things we have been lucky barring the Pogba long term injury and we still can't muster a run of good results.

billybee99

No way anyone is stupid enough to give Southgate a top job and its redundant anyway as Ole won't be getting the sack any time soon
Says the fan of the club that was stupid enough to give Ole a top job. I think Southgate is a poor choice but he is every bit as qualified as Ole. Hell, he even got a team relegated just like Ole.

Eriku

You call the last 5 years as a mess.

But looking at how it goes if the board supports ole's plan we'll be looking for haaland for 80m and a few hundred more down for midfielder.

In order for this to work ole must won more than what lvg jose won in 5 years. Otherwise he'd be spending more and obtained less.

Fans seems to think the end game for the club is the 2nd fergie, a new class of 92 and another 2 decades of domination
Might want to consider the financials of us getting rid of dead weight and not springing for mercenaries who insist on ridiculous wages.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The only way Ole was going to remain the United manager for the entirety of the season is if he avoided flirting with relegation. With that said, we could find ourselves 15th if we lose tonight, even lower following a loss to City.

His job is very much on the line right now, and Poch being available to replace him only increases the pressure.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Might want to consider the financials of us getting rid of dead weight and not springing for mercenaries who insist on ridiculous wages.
Looks good on paper. But within 2-3 years IF (if ole's plan going according to plan) we would have our own set of mercenaries by then.

If next year we're somehow challening for the title you can bet the curreent good guys would demand a big contract, martial rashford lingard etc would be on much higher wages.

High wage comes witu being a united player. Regardless.