Solskjaer | Back him or sack him?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Mcking, May 12, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019

Champagne Football Full Member

Since January he has gone from 'The Baby-faced assassin' to 'The Granny-faced assassin' with all the pressure and poor displays.

But I will put my full trust and faith he can work the magic, with Phelan acting as Yoda, teaching him the secrets of the Fergie Force.
  2. May 14, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

This thread is full of alternatives - you just don't want to acknowledge them because it leaves you with a non-existent argument.

yeah, it is pretty outrageous - the rest of the footballing world must be absolutely pissing themselves.

For what it's worth obviously a strong CV is not the only thing we should be looking for. We shouldn't be actively ignoring that though - it's mental!
  3. May 14, 2019

Fanatic 00237 Full Member

Equatorial Forest, Africa, Earth, Milky Way
    Supports:
    The Indomitable Lions
    You're right on both counts, Pep and Zidane both had very impressive starts and deserved the job full-time, but Ole had a great start as well; up to his permanent appointment. I'm sure it wasn't just a new manager bounce by which we went on that 74% win ratio until the PSG return leg after which we basically collapsed. Ole certainly had his share of the blame (putting too much trust in certain players who didn't deserve it and slow in making substitutions in many instances) but I think the sudden drop in results after he was given the full-time job wasn't totally on him.

In any case, I still believe he should be given at least until next summer to implement his own ideas and bring players players who suit him better. You can't deny that Pep and Zidane had great squads to work with, nothing compared with what Ole has right now.
  4. May 14, 2019

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

We’d have sacked him by now if the club was going to.
  5. May 14, 2019

Sir Scott McToMinay Full Member

Under very similar circumstances?
    You’re seriously comparing a squad with Varane, Ramos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Modric, Kroos, Ronaldo, Isco, Bale and Benzema to a United team with Smalling, Shaw, Lindelof, Young, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford and Martial?

I mean, Zidane did great, but both situations are nothing alike.
  6. May 14, 2019

starman Full Member

No, its full of managers that have more experience then Ole. Not managers people genuinely want. Some people might want Howe, where as other will say Bournemouth is his level...
    Where other are saying Benitez, realistically he's never going to be United manager & many fans wont even back him (See Chelsea reaction)
    After all these replies you simply can't put forward a realistic alternative (not Poch:rolleyes:)..that wont divide as many people as Ole does
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. May 14, 2019

Supports:
    The Indomitable Lions
    You do know Poch doesn't fancy working in a setup with a DoF don't you? We need to do things right, if we're hiring a manager (like Mourinho as well, I think) who doesn't want to work with a DoF then don't get one and risk ruining the atmosphere at the club. If we say we now want to implement a structure with DoF at United, then that takes Poch out of consideration.
  8. May 14, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

:lol: I did notice a change in he's face and thought the same thing!
  9. May 14, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Our squad is disgusting in comparison, I suppose they could gamble more because of how good their teams were. But, he still deserves a transfer window and a good few months to see if he can improve the team.
  10. May 14, 2019

Supports:
    The Indomitable Lions
    I agree, sometimes you need to take your chances. We have tried the blockbuster CV route twice already without success. Why not try something else now? Who says Ole and United aren't made for each other? We would never know unless we try! He was given the job as caretaker initially and after passing the audition with flying colours, was granted the job full-time, deservedly at the time. I don't agree that we should sack him now without giving him a fair shot.
  11. May 14, 2019

Amadaeus Pochettino's mother

Supports:
    Mauricio Pochettino
    If Poch has a good relationship with the DoF, I am sure he would not mind. With a manager like Poch, we wouldn’t need a DoF, as he is good at identifying and developing players he wants but I believe if the DoF shares a vision similar to Poch, there will be no conflict. There will be conflict if we get a DoF who tries to undermine the manager, as such the DoF under Poch should solely give the manager a list of variable decisions that the manager would have the final say in. A DoF in such a manner can still work even if Poch wouldn’t want to work with one.
  12. May 14, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Nobody seems to give a damn, they want to keep trying the Galactico manager approach. If Ole is shite after being given a fair chance then fine SACK AWAY. At-least if he fails no ex-player will get the job ever again; im sure the Café will be ecstatic about that!
  13. May 14, 2019

AshRK Full Member

It's so sad we, united fans, have become everything we used to hate. 3 months into the job as a full time and let us sack him. Many play fifa FM a lot and apply that to the real life. Hey let us get Poch or Allegri adn get VDS as director. Why would someone just leave their position to join this mess and moreover when they know these idiots just sack manager without even giving him a transfer window.

I said it in another thread, Ole is not a dumb manager or some glorified cheerleader like some think. I bet half of the poeple who just want a fancy manager to manage us never bothered to look what was Ole's tactics at Molde prior joining here.

Just go and check this link https://totalfootballanalysis.com/h...solskjaer-manchester-united-tactical-analysis

This explains he likes his team to press high and was very much influenced by Pep and Klopp's style. It is not a surprise he keeps on emphasizing hard work and trying to outwork the opponent. That is why after 2 months everything fizzled out as these players are not trained to play a high press football. Give these lot to klopp and even he will struggle to suddenly make them a top squad.

The problem is we have a lot of knee jerking fans who just want instant success. Most of them would eat Poch or any other manager alive the moment they start losing 3 or 4 games. I am not going to show my blind trust in ole but sacking a manager without giving them one transfer window would make our club look like rightful idiots.
  14. May 14, 2019

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

Dunno whether you've noticed but the forum is pretty divided at the moment. I'll just pick the first name off the top of my head as that's what you're so desperate for. Having watched Wolves this season - and specifically the players they have recruited and the commitment they show - if the club had gone through a rigorous recruitment process and identified Nuno as the man best suited to rebuild United, I think more people would be prepared to give him time and money than someone who's only previous PL experience involved relegation, 19 signings and the sack.
  15. May 14, 2019

BlueHaze Full Member

First of all a dof needs time to set a list of targets and they need a lot more than the measly 2 months that the window is open. Second of all Woodward is never going to give away his power and hire a top quality dof to do his work. Look at the names being mentioned, Rio, Fletcher etc. He want's these type of guys to come in and act as some sort of helping hand to ole while at the end he still remains in his current position.

Ideal scenario would be to take in Poch and then Mitchell from Leipzig and have them work together again. This will never happen as long as Woodward is here though as he will never want to give his current position away. He is an arrogant self righteous bastard.
  16. May 14, 2019

John Blund Full Member

And the team Zidane left behind in RM after 3 seasons were crushing it? Or Lupetegui is an average manager?
    I know. It's just "but we're Man United, we need to have a more experienced manager. A proven manager with years of experience. Like LVG. No, not like him, because he's not proven in PL. But like Mourinho without the controversies."
    We're all jealous of Klopp, but he's out of reach.

Out of all the managers we've had after SAF, I still find Moyes the least good choice. His style of football in Everton never got me fired up, except for when we were playing against them, and Fellaini got away with a few elbows every game.
  17. May 14, 2019

Nialler Alex's Dad

Great summary, I feel exactly the same. The media don't help either by piling on the pressure but I guess thats the world we live in today. Only those within the inner sanctum of the club know exactly whats been going on and the "stories" in the press about in-fighting among the players and their apparent lack of respect in the manager are nothing but "stories". Ole should be given a proper chance, let him sign his own players and put his own stamp on the team. The players have proved at times this season that when fully committed and motivated they can be a top side, fitness should be a top priority during the off season.
  18. May 14, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Our fans should want us to be successful. Fair chance means 1-2 years(even more) down the drain. Most fail to grasp that.

At this rate we risk becoming Liverpool of yesterday with Hodgson, Evans and Dalglish.

Imagine you own your own company would you prefer to hire the most qualified person you could get for the job, instead of your nephew?

It's not instant success either, it has been 6 years and nothing changed.

We mock Liverpool and their 30 years hunt for the title, but with this approach we'll be on that path before we know it.
  19. May 14, 2019

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Don't insult the poster.

Calling people 'stupid' or 'Clown' isn't what this place is about, mate.
  20. May 14, 2019

RedCurry Full Member

Sack Woodward and let the new director/CEO decide whether to keep him on or sack him.
  21. May 14, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

There's not a chance in hell he'll be given that long, the Café will be outside his house way before then! Up until Christmas will be the acid test, lets see what he does.
  22. May 14, 2019

starman Full Member

Like he did to me, after not being able to read a simple question..should the mods be blamed for quality control (ala Ed...) promoting people that comprehend a simple question

But anyway, whatever 'mate'
  23. May 14, 2019

Amadaeus Pochettino's mother

Supports:
    Mauricio Pochettino
    Yea, I agree he is :lol: and that would be an ideal scenario. Some DoF can work in such a limited timeframe. The result might not be as good with more time, but at least we lay a foundation for a better future just like Ajax has done.
  24. May 14, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Thing is if he is in the job come September we will still lose 1-2 years due to his permanent appointment. It's a vicious cycle.

If you put a proper manager with credentials you have to give him time to fix the mess. The problem is with Ole staying for another window and season you will have more problems and a bigger mess to fix.

So essentially with this appointment and those that back him we write off next year and probably the year after next.
  25. May 14, 2019

Mastoness New Member

I have a feeling that we are locked inside a vicious circle. On the one hand, I think that OGS isn't qualified enough to give him such a position in rebuilding this team. On the other hand, every other top manager is out of our reach ( Klopp, Pep, Poch ), are overrated ( Allegri, Tuchel ) or simply unproved on the highest level.

I have a feeling that we are in for a rough ride and I hope that I will be proved wrong.
  26. May 14, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

Sacking Ole right now in May and getting in a replacement could also cause a lot of delays. The new manager will want to give them another chance and asses the players again during the season. At least Ole right now has his mind made up about who's going or staying. It's just going to cause more and more instability, I'd like to give him a fair crack at it. No new manager comes in and does great immediately you can look around at any manager if you need examples. Ole won his first 10+ games which is unprecedented. The team were incapable of keeping up the intensity and are just mentally fragile little guppies.
  27. May 14, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

On the contrary. You will have players one year older and new players that suit Ole's style. Next manager might not have the same style(we have no DoF in place) making those new players and investment in them futile.

He would have 2 months in the Summer to do so and a proper transfer window. Experienced managers need less time to asses the situations compared to someone like Ole who will change formations and tactics until one sticks (sound familiar?).

That counts for nothing when he gets sacked before Christmas. It's rather detrimental to our next season and next manager who will take over. As I've said multiple times in the long run you create bigger issues when you appoint someone who is not fit for the job.

Ole also managed the worst run of results since more than 30 years which is unprecedented. Players that gave him the job keep getting lambasted which forms the double standard. People keep backing up Ole who keeps fielding Young.

There's big discrepancy of what people expect of him and what in reality will happen, IMO.
  28. May 14, 2019

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Have we appointed a manager either in his peak or without the risk of imploding?

van Gaals trophy count between 90-00: 15
    van Gaals trophy count between 00-16: 5

And, as for Mourinho, well we took a pretty big risk going for a manager who we should have appointed 3 years prior anyway but on the back off a terrible final half a season at Chelsea.

I don't think there's been one managerial appointment that felt right at the time. There was always far too much of a risk associated with every appointment following SAFs retirement.
  29. May 14, 2019

MoskvaRed Full Member

I don’t understand the logic that, because LVG and Mourinho did not live up to expectations, it’s perfectly reasonable that we forget about CVs and start taking wild gambles instead. Obviously there are no guarantees, and the fact two highly regarded managers fell short strongly suggests there are deeper problems at United, but the more logical response would be to try again with another, younger manager with a track record of success. After Sexton and Atkinson failed to bring back the glory days, United didn’t think “sod it, let’s try an ex-player with no real achievements in management”. They tried again by hiring one of the best up and coming managers around and finally they got lucky.

History won’t repeat itself exactly (and we should be moving away from the old style British manager model) but a good manager would at least help mitigate the basic dysfunctional nature of Woodward’s United. With the useless CEO/no DoF/hapless manager model, we could be turning the big 6 into the big 5 next season.
  30. May 14, 2019

Andycoleno9 Full Member

This
  31. May 14, 2019

cr4cki3 New Member

back him !

we will see a different system next season and with different personal who knows what the team we will be like but Ole knows what the job is and what is needed so I trust we give him time and then judge further down the line.
  32. May 14, 2019

That's half my point, though. Clearly we didn't look at the CVs of either Moyes or van Gaal - one hadn't won anything in his managerial career and the other achieved a large proportion of his success in 90s.

Mourinho, too, was a huge gamble given what happened in the latter part of 2015. Albeit, I still view him as the most successful of the lot, he failed to achieve the target we probably set.
  33. May 14, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

How's Zidane doing now with an older, Ronaldo less squad? With the added benefit of managing them previously.
  34. May 14, 2019

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    Dunno. It's your move...;)
  35. May 14, 2019

JustAGuest New Member

I think the answer is that this ideal appointment is not available right now. Nuno for example was sacked by Porto, and resigned from Valencia following poor results. He would by no means be a sure success, even though he has done well with Wolves.

Some want Ole out at whatever cost, which is fine, but I can understand the club not making a move when there is no clear replacement available. If your standpoint is that he is 100% not up for the job, then it will seem unbelievable that he's not being replaced. I don't think football is that simple (if it is, why not get rich in the process and back whatever you so strongly believe will happen? :D).
  36. May 14, 2019

MoskvaRed Full Member

I agree - there were red flags with both (I won’t discuss Moyes - that was simply mental) but that doesn’t mean after two failures you discount track records altogether and give it to the manager of Molde just because he used to play for you. We should be targeting managers with solid achievements who are still on the up in their career.
  37. May 14, 2019

Wait. I think we're making the same argument. I'm on the side that feels Ole should never have been appointed.
  38. May 14, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

It's still Jose's team though. And although he was sacked, how can you then sack a guy who hasn't had the chance to change the roll call?
  39. May 14, 2019

Mal donaghy Full Member

Back him or sack him??? Orr,,,,,, back,sack, and crack him! :D
  40. May 14, 2019

flappyjay Full Member

His players or not the teams form falling to relegation levels and him not being able to pull them out of that pit concerns me. Also he was hired off of having a string of wins with the same players let's not forget that