Solskjaer confirmed Maguire will be the new club captain

United58

Bit of a weird one. He doesn't seem that confident on the pitch - scuffing hoofed clearances, playing it very safe at the back, misplacing lots of passes when he does go forward.

Hopefully he's a great influence in the dressing room and gets us climbing back up the table :)

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm sure people will say too soon but it's not like we have loads of outstanding choices. Personally don't like goalkeepers being captains and Dave isn't much of a leader anyway so that rules him out. Pogba would be another shout but there's no way he can be captain with all that's going on with him and his future. Who else is there?

Lindelof? Matic? This just shows how Maguire is clearly the best option right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He shouts at everyone for being slightly shitter than he is, so I guess it makes sense.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bit of a weird one. He doesn't seem that confident on the pitch - scuffing hoofed clearances, playing it very safe at the back, misplacing lots of passes when he does go forward.

Hopefully he's a great influence in the dressing room and gets us climbing back up the table :)
Anyone playing behind such a crap midfield would appear to lack confidence

soapythecat

Great decision and almost expected. Rashford may have been a good candidate but I'd much rather he focuses on being the spearhead of our attack at the moment. He's got years to be a United captain yet.

klayton88

He shouts at everyone for being slightly shitter than he is, so I guess it makes sense.
Still, an improvment on Young shouting at people while being the shittest player on the pitch. Guy can't even take a throw in.

A-man

Not optimal but can’t think of any options. He plays all matches, and it might force out some leadership elements from him.

romufc

It is quite clear he was the candidate to take over.

When we signed him, Ole mentioned he was a leader so it was pretty obvious he will become captain.

He has been good this year, you can see from the game he missed Vs City how much of an influence he is on the pitch for us.

BlackBen

Kind of expected considering our lack of leaders in the team. IMO half the reason we bought him was for this I.e to lead this young team so no complains for me.

Don’t agree with the “too soon” brigade although his performances need to improve tbf .

GBBQ

Given the general feedback on Maguire being that he's under-performing its a big vote of confidence from Ole so hopefully it ignites his United career and gets him playing at his highest level.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Captaincy is a weird aspect to gauge just from games. To see a true captain you need to be in the dressing room, see who is rallying the team, having a word with younger players to keep heads high or discipline them, etc.

It's not always the obvious looking ones from the pitch tbh. Maguire may well be that guy for us, he's obviously a long term player for the project.

This concept that the best performer has to be the captain is misguided and a bit frustrating tbh.

stu_1992

Was always going to be him seeing as he's been captain in the majority of the games where Young hasn't played. De Gea hasn't really had the armband since the start of the season. You may say it's too soon for Maguire and that's fair, but who else is there? Rashford maybe? I'm not sure we need to be adding anything extra to him at the moment.

reddevil80

Good choice in my opinion. Not afraid of organising on the pitch, seems to have gelled with the boys quickly and will have a drive at the opponents. Ok, he loses the ball when driving but if our attack doesn't move and create a target for the pass, he is gonna run out of options and get stuck so the pass is a hurried one. At one point in the game vs wolves, Harry drove forward and James went to the side of him and dawdled to the side of the pitch waiting for a pass. I like James but he should have seen where HM was going and attacked either the corner flag or drove straight at the penalty box, so that was an attack that went begging. For me, he'll make a good leader and Mctom has to be the vice cap.

Reactions: Penna

meamth

Englishman, big head, big character, gets the club....

yeah, he is the right appointment.

Wayne's World

What's he done to be club captain? I find it's very disrespectful to the other players who have been there longer and achieved more then Maguire. Don't find him a leader like some one say either but look that could change over the coming months and years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Going forwards into next season the only players who 100% look certain to be regular starters are DDG, AWB, Maguire, Martial & Rashford. Pogba obviously will if he stays (don't think he will though)

Make a case too for Williams, Mctomminay, Lindelof, Fred etc but I don't think you can hand on heart say they will be 100% definite starters with us no doubt going to add new players over next 6 months.

Out of the top list I'd say Maguire is the outstanding candidate by far. I'd like to see Rashford given the (vc) as I have never seen a player put as much work in for us as he does in a long long time. He leaves everything on the pitch because he's a red like us.

Step in the right direction after Valencia and Young. He started very well for us so hopefully giving him a leadership role will get him back to those levels.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What's he done to be club captain? I find it's very disrespectful to the other players who have been there longer and achieved more then Maguire..
Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a more suitable candidate.
Personally, I think Maguire is ideal captain material.

BlackBen

What's he done to be club captain? I find it's very disrespectful to the other players who have been there longer and achieved more then Maguire. Don't find him a leader like some one say either but look that could change over the coming months and years.
Honestly if not Maguire then who? Which other players are you referring to that can be captain ?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Smart decision. Thought he had future United captain written all over him from the moment he joined.

Alabaster Codify7

To be honest, I don't see who else is a better shout? We are lacking severly in leaders at this club in general. This might light a fire under Maguire and he might rise to the occasion and show the qualities we thought we were getting.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Captaincy is a weird aspect to gauge just from games. To see a true captain you need to be in the dressing room, see who is rallying the team, having a word with younger players to keep heads high or discipline them, etc.
Still, when you look at the great captains of the past, you can see their influence on the pitch — and I'm not talking about their football skills. And it's not only with aggressive ones like Keane or Vieira, even the classy "quiet" ones like Scirea (I apologise for an outdated reference) spread the aura of confidence and leadership around them. Maguire doesn't have it.

Ironically enough, he's still probably our best choice. Pogba would be if he was arsed to play for us, so a clear no at the moment. Dave isn't a leader, Rashford is too young and has other things to worry about... Matic maybe? Although there were reports about him being a negative presence in the dressing room after Mourinho left (I wonder if that had changed lately with him playing more often).

mu4c_20le

Was hoping it'd be Pogba to light a fire under his arse and make him perform for the rest of the season