Solskjaer confirmed Maguire will be the new club captain

DBT85

I’m hoping like most players Maguire has a much more dominant second season with us. It really highlights the state of the playing staff when someone who’s been at the club less than a year and isn’t playing great is made the club captain. It’s also saying this team had been leaderless for so long. It’s basically because he’s England captain? Anyway I reckon Harry will be much more assured next season and hopefully will lead by example. A slightly baffling decision at the moment though!
Surely another issue that we've also had captains for the last 4 years that haven't always been nailed on starters is just as much of an issue, no? I'll be happy to finally see the captain of the team actually playing week in week out.

We've spent the last few years giving the armband to the oldest player or the most experienced player rather than someone whos going to be there every week rallying people, leading people on the pitch.

Rooney was captain and in his last season played just 2445 mins in al comps (same as he had in PL alone in the 3 seasons prior).
Carrick was captain for a season and played a whole 379 mins
Valencia then gets it and plays just 718 mins
Then Young gets it and plays 1313 mins in half a season.

Maguire already has 2588 mins this season. More than the official club captain has had for the last 3 seasons combined.

Clearly minutes do not a captain make, but, as i said, given the other options (basically only DDG, Rashford or Pogba) it's not a shock and for the first time since the 15-16 season our club captain will be on the pitch week in week out.

Kag

Personally I’d like McTominay but I think that’s too soon.

He is captain material.
When your captain is fourth or fifth choice midfielder then you’ve got a problem. And if we are to truly compete back at the top of the table, that is what McTominay is going to have to be.

Kag

Surely another issue that we've also had captains for the last 4 years that haven't always been nailed on starters is just as much of an issue, no? I'll be happy to finally see the captain of the team actually playing week in week out.

We've spent the last few years giving the armband to the oldest player or the most experienced player rather than someone whos going to be there every week rallying people, leading people on the pitch.

Rooney was captain and in his last season played just 2445 mins in al comps (same as he had in PL alone in the 3 seasons prior).

Maguire already has 2588 mins this season. More than the official club captain has had for the last 3 seasons combined.

Clearly minutes do not a captain make, but, as i said, given the other options (basically only DDG, Rashford or Pogba) it's not a shock and for the first time since the 15-16 season our club captain will be on the pitch week in week out.
That’s a shocking statistic. It serves to confirm why Maguire is now our captain and why it’s a sensible decision.

Rashford needs to focus on being a striker - he doesn’t need the burden of captaincy. Pogba will leave. De Gea is a jessy. Maguire is the only option, really.

arthurka

With DDG not even commanding his box and Pogba not even wanting to be here it was a logical choice.

bondsname

The importance of captaincy is hugely overstated.
I think it depends really. If the coach himself doesn't take the captain role seriously, the rest of the team won't think so either.

However, if the captaincy is taken seriously it can be beneficial, hopefully Maguire will feel obligated to make sure his team-mates aren't underperforming.

Ramos is an example of a fantastic captain, always keeping the defensive line in check and raising morale when needed.

Amerifan

Good selection. Ideally a senior player with regular playing time. Given our youth, Ole had few other options.

Amerifan

Captaincy is about character rather than being somewhere for a long time. I don't know why people keep missing this.

While there are players who are captains on performance rather than on leadership, I don't think Rashford, for instance should ever be our captain. Whereas someone like McTominay could well grow to become one.
I could see Williams grow into the role as well.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Obviously not because his doubted ability, inexperience at top level, nor trophies cabinet.

so yeh. It’s character, leadership, shout a lot, and ‘he gets the club, after few months’. Things that all in your mind only.

davidmichael

Perfect choice in my opinion and if I’m honest I’d have liked to have seen Maguire given the captaincy upon signing as Young was NEVER good for to start let alone be captain.

I think in Maguire, Rashford, McTominay and Williams we have a good group of team leaders long term and players who actually want to be here and play for us which has been needed for some time.

RUCK4444

Pretty much every Leicester fan that I saw said that he wasn't a leader and his reputation as one is unwarranted.
He’s is literally the only player in the squad who is remotely vocal, I mean who are the other candidates?

McTominay is somewhat vocal but obviously too young.

People just like a good moan ffs

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

That’s a crazy stat. I didn’t realise.

edit if pogba wasn’t such a disruptive player he’d have been absolutely nailed on. surely he can see that? It’s a pity. Good luck with it Harry!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why do people actually care so much about who the captain is? Is it really that big of a deal anymore?

All they really do extra is sort player tickets.

podurban2

Why do people actually care so much about who the captain is? Is it really that big of a deal anymore?

All they really do extra is sort player tickets.
A leader is always important. Very often you will see the captain talk to the ref when there’s an incident on the field. I believe it’s important to have a good representative for these kind of things.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Had to be him. I was hoping it would be Pogba, back when Jose first gave him the armband, but that was taken off him and his relationship with the club got weird. Shame.

Maguire is the only real option out of what we've got.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A leader is always important. Very often you will see the captain talk to the ref when there’s an incident on the field. I believe it’s important to have a good representative for these kind of things.
Anyone can talk to the ref, doesn't have to be the captain.

The ref will pass team messages through the captain I suppose, but really anyone can do this.

C'est Moi Cantona

I love Maguire, but that does show how far we've fallen, he's been here five minutes, but cost a lot, and cares more than anyone here who actually has a decent level of ability, so bang you're captain.

Back in the day he'd have just been another player, now he's a shining light.

Gator Nate

Anyone can talk to the ref, doesn't have to be the captain.

The ref will pass team messages through the captain I suppose, but really anyone can do this.
While there is truth to that, it's much better for all involved if the captain does the talking. This is where I thought Young did a great job, he was always pleading for the team to the referee, rather than allowing the team as a mob do it. The ref might talk to any player, because that player needs talking to, but it's far more orderly and respectful for the captain to represent the team to the ref. Let the mob go after him and cards start flying.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was always going to be the captain, it's just happened sooner than expected.

koop

who else is he going to pick?
dont say De Gea either, the guy cant even command his box

DBT85

I love Maguire, but that does show how far we've fallen, he's been here five minutes, but cost a lot, and cares more than anyone here who actually has a decent level of ability, so bang you're captain.

Back in the day he'd have just been another player, now he's a shining light.
That Young was the captain for me is a lower point than Maguire getting it now.

alexthelion

The importance of captaincy is hugely overstated.
The wrong choice as leader can be absolutely devastating.

If you have never experienced that yourself you won't know how just how demoralising that can be.

alexthelion

So...

Maguire has been given the armband after 5 months of utterly underwhelming performances...?

This is crazy. It's literally like there is some kind of spell over Utd where every decision that matters must go in the most surreal, counter-intuitive direction.

'We need a new manager and many great managers will want this job right now' - Gives it to David Moyes

'We need to give Moyes a contract, he's an unproven manager at this level and many voices are already mocking the decision... how long shall we make the contract? - 6 years

'We've hired LvG and got him to instill a possession based game - who do we hire to follow on from him?' - Jose Mourinho

'Ok, Mourinho has won us 2 trophies and finished 2nd, but now he wants Harry Maguire' - Don't back him

'We've sacked Mourinho and are now looking to employ a manager to get us back to modern footy and challenging' - Hires Molde and Cardiff's old gaffer

We need a new CB... - Buys Maguire for more than when Mourinho was denied him (!!!)

We need a new club captain. We have DDG, Rashford and Pogba as the most logical candidates, Marcus Rashford is an academy graduate, from Manchester, who is emerging as our best striker and we're desperate to keep him here for years...

Gives it to Harry Maguire after 4/5 months of underwhelming performances

It's like a comedy sketch - like they're incapable of making any sound decision on the footy side of things.
Why am I not surprised that you've posted complete and utter crap that is totally negative and also untrue?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
When your captain is fourth or fifth choice midfielder then you’ve got a problem. And if we are to truly compete back at the top of the table, that is what McTominay is going to have to be.
4th or 5th choice? What are you on about? He was a regular starter before he got injured. Performed well, looked confident given his age.

Renegade

4th or 5th choice? What are you on about? He was a regular starter before he got injured. Performed well, looked confident given his age.
The poster is suggesting that’s what Mctominay should be if we want to get back on top.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We need to make sure our captain, the most expensive defender in the world will be handed a good partner to really make use of his abilities. We should be able to play a high line against certain teams. Captain or not, he will always struggle with the turning and lack of pace he has, so he'll need a pacey, aggressive CB next to him that compliments him. I do think Fred is providing decent cover for him in the front but he isn't winning any duels, and neither are Lindelof and it's leaving too much space for Maguire to be effective.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sounds like you’re ‘moaning’, harms. Stop it.
I'm quite literally answering the direct question.

I'm surprised by people judging that move one way or the other. We aren't in the group and don't know its dynamic, maybe Maguire is a good leader and maybe he isn't. Though I do have a couple of questions, was he a leader(captain) in his previous teams? And isn't it a bit weird to see a player with very little top level experience deemed to be captain material for United?
Pretty much every Leicester fan that I saw said that he wasn't a leader and his reputation as one is unwarranted.
----

He’s is literally the only player in the squad who is remotely vocal, I mean who are the other candidates?

McTominay is somewhat vocal but obviously too young.

People just like a good moan ffs
No one (with non-motivated Pogba). I've said it myself already, it's not the point.

Fitchett

Good choice. Nice to have a top class player, who is a 1st team regular as captain. I never liked having Valencia and Young as captains, particularly when they weren't 1st team regulars. Captaincy should be awarded on merit, not as a long service award. I've always felt that a captain should be a central midfielder or central defender, so Maguire fits the bill.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
The poster is suggesting that’s what Mctominay should be if we want to get back on top.
I still don’t understand. McTominay should be what?

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood but from the original post it comes across from the wording as if he’s calling McTominay a 4th or 5th choice midfielder which is mental.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm quite literally answering the direct question.

----

No one (with non-motivated Pogba). I've said it myself already, it's not the point.
Duh..I was being sarcastic. Hence, the " ".

Agreed with your posts. Can't see any captain "material" from Maguire, other than he's english and shout a lot. Also cost 80m.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Really is the only option. Would really help Maguire to have a quick centre back paired with him next season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why are there so many people talking shit about this decision? Think about it, DDG doesn't command his area at all, Rashford & McTominay are still too young for the role, Pogba has a questionable future with our club, Juan Mata Mr Nice Guy who doesn't play week in week out. Maguire is an obvious choice, best captain choice that we had since Rooney left and Ole signed him for this purpose as well not only because we need centre back but also we need good candidate to be our captain.

If you think Ole doesn't know how to choose his best captain then you better start reminding yourself that the guy used to work with Keane & Catona, he knows what to do to select his captain unlike a certain manager who chose his captain based on player's vote.

Last edited:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
No surprise really. He has basically been doing the role anyway with Young not playing every game

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Why am I not surprised that you've posted complete and utter crap that is totally negative and also untrue?
Great, thanks for the stellar contribution lad.

So, you believe Maguire's performances since joining have been up to the standard expected of him when signed as the most expensive defender of all time then?

How has he not been underwhelming?

What planet are you living on if you think someone signing for United, performing as Maguire has done for 5/6 months and then getting the armband is a 'good idea'?

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd honestly give it to Rashford - and I say that as someone who's been critical of Rashford's quality, so I'm certainly not a Marcus fanboy.

I think building this team around it's attacking core is the best way forward for Utd - Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Greenwood - this is the only real proper quality in our squad - so make a statement by giving it to Rashford.

He's won trophies at United, he's the most improved player this season, he's the leader of Utd's forward line, he's involved in link up play and is fairly versatile, so will always start every game unless injured.

He's vocal, he's local, he's the focal point of our attack - giving him the armband is a more progressive, forward thinking move that puts the impetus on attacking - rather than on our defense, which is functional at best, and certainly not the driving force of this Utd side.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Wanted to complain, but then it's a reasonable choice, since there isn't really a better option atm. So sad. Mag gets it for being slightly less shittier and less problematic than other captain candidates.

Too soon for McT or Rash for me.