Solskjaer confirmed Maguire will be the new club captain

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Personally apart from Rashford who’s had a brilliant season so far Maguire is the second name on the team sheet.

I rate him as worth every penny we spent.
Surely another oppo WUM.

No real Utd fan would suggest that Maguire has been 'worth every penny spent' FFS. We've made him the most expensive defender of all time, and he has been far from convincing since his arrival.

He's probably not even in the Top 5 CBs in the PL this season, and his previous club are better off since he left.

And I like him as a character, but he's underwhelmed since arriving - on the pitch at least.

Cockney Phil

You've really set the bar low. He's nowhere near worth anything we paid. Leicester sold him and now have the best defence in the league. Go figure.
Agree with you. Fans should look more closely at our defeats, they reveal a lot and in most of those games Maguire‘s performances were pretty tepid.

Son

Surely another oppo WUM.

No real Utd fan would suggest that Maguire has been 'worth every penny spent' FFS. We've made him the most expensive defender of all time, and he has been far from convincing since his arrival.

He's probably not even in the Top 5 CBs in the PL this season, and his previous club are better off since he left.

And I like him as a character, but he's underwhelmed since arriving - on the pitch at least.
Love the infighting atm between our fanbase. Get some clown calling you a WUM for praising one of our players. We aren't even doing that badly this season considering our line-up every game.

Maguire is a quality footballer and was a good buy for us. Far and away better on the ball than we've had for years as a CB. I don't have a clue what you expect from United atm or care in all honesty.

No doubt be calling us out later if we lose to Liverpool. Shock horror, the world is ending and all that.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Well, who else is there really? DDG can't even organize his backline effectively. Some say Rashford is too young though it didn't do Gerrard any harm being club captain at young age. Rashford doesnt strike me as those vocal players in the team, just not that type I guess. Overall, Maguire is pretty sensible choice, seems to have pretty good head about him.

siw2007

Maguire for me was the obvious choice. It speaks a lot of the team that we have when a player who has been at the club for 6 months becomes club captain but he seems to be a well respected and regarded character in the dressing room so seems pretty sensible.

He’s made a solid if not spectacular start to life here, I’m hoping that wearing the armband can help him excel and not make him buckle under extra pressure.

Sp00ks11

People are seriously complaining about Maguire being captain, when we have had cowards like Smalling, Young and Valencia captaining us over the last few years. Maguire is a huge step up over any of them. Our best since Rooney for sure. Valencia couldn’t even be bothered to speak English ffs.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Maguire is a quality footballer and was a good buy for us. Far and away better on the ball than we've had for years as a CB. I don't have a clue what you expect from United atm or care in all honesty.
He's no improvement on Smalling... who we already had...

And he cost 80m - he is the most expensive defender of all time.

Has zero leadership skills on the pitch and has won nothing for the club.

Shouldn't be anywhere near the armband - will be too big a role for him and put too much pressure on him.

Pav1878

Maguire is shit, and shouldn't even be at the club let alone captain of it. He can feck off, and I won't be surprised if he doesn't get shipped out by the next manager.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
£70 million for Van Dijk and £80 million for this fecking Orc is enough to give you a brain aneurysm. I can't handle it.

Pav1878

Love the infighting atm between our fanbase. Get some clown calling you a WUM for praising one of our players. We aren't even doing that badly this season considering our line-up every game.

No doubt be calling us out later if we lose to Liverpool. Shock horror, the world is ending and all that.
You can't be serious? Maguire is crap on the ball, takes an hour to turn, can't command his own box, crap in the opposition box with his head. He's so average its embarrassing what we paid for him. The fact you are saying such rubbish is why you are getting called a wum

Eddy_JukeZ

You don't spend 80 million for just an 'upgrade' on your current defenders.

He needs to be a world beater.

And Maguire is anything but.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
People are seriously complaining about Maguire being captain, when we have had cowards like Smalling, Young and Valencia captaining us over the last few years. Maguire is a huge step up over any of them. Our best since Rooney for sure. Valencia couldn’t even be bothered to speak English ffs.
Why is Smalling a coward? Or the others?
What makes Maguire any braver than them?

As players they have all reached levels for us Maguire is yet to reach and will be lucky to reach

AFC NimbleThumb

Many have been saying this since the summer but get derided by delusional fans that think being able to pass a ball better than Smalling makes you world class.

It was a horrific utilisation of funds given we’re not spending much in terms of net spend.

An £80mil CB isn’t solely to blame but I’d expect him to also raise the games of others for that fee.

dove

How is Maguire less of a coward compared to these 3? He shits his pants every single time he needs to defend.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He gets the Club, though. And look angry and shout a lot.
Leadership!

finneh

Is he an upgrade?

I don't see this central defensive partnership as any better than Smalling-Lindelof last year.

hp88

Don't think the arm band stands for anything at United any more, had some really questionable captains since Fergie left.

As for Maguire, not sure what Ole's thought process was behind this decision, he's liability at the back.

Last edited:

Machine Elements

Maguire is shit, and shouldn't even be at the club let alone captain of it. He can feck off, and I won't be surprised if he doesn't get shipped out by the next manager.
Well said. And not just him; all of Ole's signings are shit (maybe AWB less shit as he can actually defend) for where we want to be. I also hope the next manager ships this donkey out. 80m FFS. What a waste of money.

He's worse than Smalling...

Ole and Woodward have spent eighty million to downgrade from Smalling...

EIGHTY MILLION TO DOWNGRADE FROM SMALLING!
But but he's getting rid of deadwood like Smalling and buying quality like Maguire!

Skills

Snitch
Will be a struggle to move his salary.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I like how comfortable he is on the ball, but defensively he's nothing special. :lol:

LoneStar

The sad part is he's not even an upgrade on our current defender. Smalling would have fared the same or possibly better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He likes to have the ball but is actually terrible with it. Smalling was scared of the ball but generally he was probably better with it than Maguire.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If by comfortable on the ball you mean he hangs on to it for way too long then ok but it’s a weird thing to like.
He doesn't burst into flames when we get high pressed. It's a good trait to have.

But he can't defend as well as his price tag or reputation suggests.

Thiagoal

No better than a decent championship centre half! We’ve been totally duped

Superden

Gets beaten in the air too often for a top class CB...problem for him is that each time hes beaten it inevitably leads to a goal as we can just win any second balls...

Son

You can't be serious? Maguire is crap on the ball, takes an hour to turn, can't command his own box, crap in the opposition box with his head. He's so average its embarrassing what we paid for him. The fact you are saying such rubbish is why you are getting called a wum
He’s hardly crap on the ball but his defending and heading could do with some major improvements I admit.

The fact is the full team just isn’t working in harmony so things tend to break down. Our set piece delivery and especially defending just isn’t thought out.

Players need to be coached better. That’s our problem not our shiny new expensive defender.

I prefer replying to people who offer considered opinions not throwing their dummies out the pram though.