Solskjaer is a worryingly easy out for the Glazers

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've spent nearly £700m in five years. People make the Glazes out like Kreonke.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If a DOF is hired which is very likely he’ll be the one in charge of transfers and demanding money. I don’t think the economic differences between Poch and Ole will stretch beyond whatever the club needs to pay Spurs for Pochettino and the difference in wages between the two.
I am still very dubious on if we will bother hiring a DoF (in the role we all are hoping for), anytime soon.
I think Woodward likes that role and I don't see him willingly giving up that role, unless things go completely tits up.
He will argue that under his guidance, we finished 2nd last season, while we won 2 trophies the year before and 1 trophy the year before that.
If Ole does a job of keeping us in the top 4, he will ask the question: why do we need a DoF to complicate matters.

Adisa

I have no qualms with him getting the job on a permanent basis but will he able to attract the big players especially if we do not to get a champs lge position?
The idea of managers attracting players is a dying concept.

Imran Mamdani

I suppose if Ole stays AND we get a DoF - then that brings in the additional experienced personnel who can provide a first-hand experience and assistance to Ole when it comes to transfer markets and strategies. That would play out very nicely imo.

midnightmare

We spend when we need to. Given that we have not won the title in many years, finished in the top 3 only once since SAF left, the spending is warranted. IMO, we are not spending enough.
And regarding Ole, being the cheaper/easier option: the Glazers would love it if Ole worked out and kept us in the top 4, for the next 10 years, with minimal spending.
Yup - that explains our spends and wage levels. Specially compared with Liverpool, Spurs and the likes. Oh wait...

Pughnichi

I admit, this concerns me a bit too.
Very low maintenance manager. Ideal for a board like them. Happy to be here, won't demand big bucks.
Is big bucks necessarily a good thing. Spending money for the sake of spending money. I give you Chelsea who it looks like they might lose Odoi - a truly great talent and instead replace him with a 50M (and in my opinion) lesser player.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Hold on to your horses guys.

Ole hasn't tasted the big time before, and Phelan's been out of the game for the last five years.
The feel good factor after Mou, is starting to fizzle out. So let's see how he does against tough opposition.
My gut feeling is that Ole won't be an option at the end of the season, and I think he and Phelan already know that.
If it's Poch, the club will already be talking to his agent.
Ole spent 15 years at united, you can't get more big time than that.
Poch has no big time experience and has won nothing.

Who said the feel good factor has fizzled out, even if we lose on Sunday it won't change.
Given your gut feeling, Ole is almost a certainty to stay as manager.:p

PS Phelan hasn't been out of the game.

InfiniteBoredom

Even if that was the case, what's it got to do with signing a CB?
If I’m the owner and my manager presents me with a list of Alderweireld at £70m, Harry Maguire at £65m or Boateng, I’d tell him to get fecked too.

The clubs bought him 2 CBs the two previous summer at his request, there are 5 senior CBs at the moment. Flog someone off before asking again and present someone reasonable.

haram

If I’m the owner and my manager presents me with a list of Alderweireld at £70m, Harry Maguire at £65m or Boateng, I’d tell him to get fecked too.

The clubs bought him 2 CBs the two previous summer at his request, there are 5 senior CBs at the moment. Flog someone off before asking again and present someone reasonable.
Funny how you also think it's Jose's job to sell the players.

RedCurry

Glazers take their constant dividends from the club. The rest of the management of finances is done by Woodward. From all of the evidence so far, he's backed at least the last two managers when they had the right targets.

vidic blood & sand

Ole spent 15 years at united, you can't get more big time than that.
Poch has no big time experience and has won nothing.

Who said the feel good factor has fizzled out, even if we lose on Sunday it won't change.
Given your gut feeling, Ole is almost a certainty to stay as manager.:p
I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying that everything about the current setup shouts "temporary".
He was brought in and was given Phelan as support. Ole wasn't asked who he'd like as an assistant.
When I said "big time" I was talking about "management" obviously. I really hope he succeeds, but I think it's going to be Poch.

tomaldinho1

Everyone assumes that Ole can't do the big job, but I am not so sure I can see why not.

Of course he hasn't passed the test just yet, but he could I think. I mean appointing a big name with lots of experience is no guarantee of success as we have painfully observed in our last two choices.

I am not convinced Pochettino would be a good choice.

I don't think money will be the deciding issue, with the exception that I am not sure we will pay what we might need to in order to get Pochettino. How Ole does till the end of the season will definitely be a factor, and with so many big tests ahead, he is probably odds against doing well enough to get the job given the assumption is that we are looking for someone else. I hope he does it. The last thing we need is another name who doesn't understand the club, is too arrogant or too set in their ways. We don't need a revolution either - we can build a team around the likes of De Gea, Dalot, Shaw, Pogba, Rashford, Martial at very least - and others, of course. We should look to minimise the impact of a new manager joining.
This is actually a good point, we're all thinking Poch is a certified success because he has done exceptionally well with Spurs but his managerial record is actually pretty average on paper. Espanyol were a steady mid table club under him, Southampton were also mid table and then he's gone to Spurs (which has been his major success to date, although he's not won anything).

I'd say his greatest strength has been developing younger players, although would he get the same time here if he wasn't delivering trophies? He's had a zero pressure ride so far, four years to build and train his team and spent over £300m since he arrived. I get that's not the level of financial activity compared to some of the bigger clubs but it's not a miracle they are where they are. Still probably my preferred choice but the risk is a lot higher than people think with him.

InfiniteBoredom

Funny how you also think it's Jose's job to sell the players.
Well he bought them and they turned out to be shit, it’s only fair he rings his pal Mendes to save him the trouble.

He was given, what, £400m to spend and the one who performed best under him was a free transfer. Now justify why we should have given him the money.

meamth

I have a naive question for the old guards. What was Fergie's reputation at Aberdeen back then?

haram

Well he bought them and they turned out to be shit, it’s only fair he rings his pal Mendes to save him the trouble.

He was given, what, £400m to spend and the one who performed best under him was a free transfer. Now justify why we should have given him the money.
You give him a contract, he finishes second, and then you dont back him. Lindelof is not shit either, but ok. If you are going to sit there and pretend 60 million investment at CB over 5 windows is ok then fair enough. I'm done here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We've spent nearly £700m in five years. People make the Glazes out like Kreonke.
Only in transfers, the wage bill which is more crucial for penny pinchers is massive too and we don't even have a great team.

Rish Sawhney

I find this anger against the glazers downright weird. From where I stand I would not exchange them for any other owners in the league.

I wonder how much of the fears of people about “they only care about the quarterly bottom line” and “they suck the club dry” come up from a lack of understanding of how people with that much money actually view their investments vs. generic anti capitalist anti rich sentiments.

In my experience people who can afford an investment the size of man united really don’t care about the quarterly reports unless there’s many consecutive losses over years. To them the long term success of the club is more money for them. And by “for them” I don’t even think it’s them personally. It might be their kids or their grandkids which puts their thinking way more long term than managers or CEOs or even DOFs.

Reactions: Rood

deafepl

I don't think that's issues, it's Ed Woodward who wants top tier signing like Neymar, Griezmann, Varane, etc if they become available in the market. DoF and Ole will work on how to build Ole's ideal team and if Ole asks for an attacking fullback, sweeper DM/CB, LCB and left-footed attacker players, DoF and scouting will identify players who can improve us.

Glazer has nothing to do with transfer market and only take out 10-15 million from our revenue but leave it 500-600m to United who spent half of our revenue on wages bills.

Adisa

Glazers are in this for the money. Nobody doubts that do they?
Of course they are but it's not like they are penny pinching. If they pick Solskjaer, I hardly doubt it would be because he's cheaper, after spending around €20m to sack the previous manager.

InfiniteBoredom

You give him a contract, he finishes second, and then you dont back him. Lindelof is not shit either, but ok. If you are going to sit there and pretend 60 million investment at CB over 5 windows is ok then fair enough. I'm done here.
Spent £400m, not a single one performed up to snuff, asked for more money. Yes, I’m done here.

You piped up trashing the club as penny pinchers because we wouldn’t sanction him wasting 60, 70m on a player on his last year of contract or one who has been playing at bottom table teams for a couple of years and had a decent World Cup, and the back up is an old crock. The same club that spent £40m for Matic and made Alexis Sanchez the best paid player in the league at his request, may be get your head out of his bottom first before making such ludicrous claims.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying that everything about the current setup shouts "temporary".
He was brought in and was given Phelan as support. Ole wasn't asked who he'd like as an assistant.
When I said "big time" I was talking about "management" obviously. I really hope he succeeds, but I think it's going to be Poch.
I actually think Ole did ask for Phelan. Neither Ole or Poch have big time managerial experience but Ole knows United inside out and this is important.
It may be Poch I'm not inspired with great optimism that he will be the right choice for United.
Time will tell if Ole is up to the job.

RedDevil@84

Is this "Jose won't be fired till top 4 is gone" again? I am not battling for the board or the way club has been run in past few years, but no one could say with certainty what the board would do. We seemed to splash the cash when we don't expect and keep it tight when you don't expect.

And that with two major assumptions
- Ole is not good enough to do the job.
- Poch will rock it for sure

Tarrou

I find this anger against the glazers downright weird. From where I stand I would not exchange them for any other owners in the league.

I wonder how much of the fears of people about “they only care about the quarterly bottom line” and “they suck the club dry” come up from a lack of understanding of how people with that much money actually view their investments vs. generic anti capitalist anti rich sentiments.

In my experience people who can afford an investment the size of man united really don’t care about the quarterly reports unless there’s many consecutive losses over years. To them the long term success of the club is more money for them. And by “for them” I don’t even think it’s them personally. It might be their kids or their grandkids which puts their thinking way more long term than managers or CEOs or even DOFs.
They've put 0 in and take what, close to a billion out of the club? As far as I know the only owners in the league who've done anything like that.

This is not really a thread to moan about the Glazers, but I guess that is what it will become so my bad. But surely the fact they just take money out is somewhat of a concern to you?

I mean, that is why I started this thread. I'm worried that money will be the determining factor in their decision, not the long term future of the club. I might be way off the mark with that, but there are plenty of reasons to suggest that might be a problem.

Tarrou

Of course they are but it's not like they are penny pinching. If they pick Solskjaer, I hardly doubt it would be because he's cheaper, after spending around €20m to sack the previous manager.
well they took way too long to stump up that 20m didn't they? It got to the point where the club was in complete chaos and everyone hated the manager, before they took the plunge.

Adisa

This is the point I'm always trying to get across.
I hate the Glazers as much as anyone but I seriously don't think they care all that much about the X amount of profit on the income statement at the end of the year.
The only thing they care about is the long term value of the club. That is how they will ultimately make their money. And the only way they maximise that is Manchester United competing for big trophies and playing good football.
A Manchester United struggling to come top four is of reduced value to them.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

I strongly suspect that there'll be a big push from the fans to keep Ole as well, which will make things harder still.

That said, I think this idea that the Board will always do things in the cheapest possible way is a myth. Its only a few weeks since people were insisting Mourinho would be here til the end of the season because they didnt want to pay him off, that turned out to be wrong. While the Glazers have done a lot of ill to this club, they've never been shown to be total penny pinchers.
Fans were singing Mourinho's name right up until he was sacked. Thankfully the board doesn't appear to listen to them.

Agree with others - let's wait and see what happens. Personally I worry that Solskjaer could turn out to be our Roy Evans or Kevin Keegan, but we'll have to see.

Tarrou

No, but the fact that you have to invest to earn is one of the most basic rules of business.
true yeah, and that includes making decisions to not invest if you don't see an ROI, or invest less for more risk if you think it will be better for your bottom line

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't you think we should see how we get on against Spurs before Ole is the next SAF. This is his first big test, then there are more ahead. If he can navigate them then he will be the favourite for the job. There is a lot for him to prove. This is one hell of an audition.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Lindelof was shit up until the last few weeks to be fair. Took a while to adjust to the PL.

edit: wait a second, maybe it was the manager's fault....

Rish Sawhney

They've put 0 in and take what, close to a billion out of the club? As far as I know the only owners in the league who've done anything like that.

This is not really a thread to moan about the Glazers, but I guess that is what it will become so my bad. But surely the fact they just take money out is somewhat of a concern to you?

I mean, that is why I started this thread. I'm worried that money will be the determining factor in their decision, not the long term future of the club. I might be way off the mark with that, but there are plenty of reasons to suggest that might be a problem.

That’s what investments are for. It’s not the Glazers who spend their money on either Poch, or on firing Mourinho, or on player signings. So the entire point is a non-point.

Man united makes the money, and glazers just take a dividend out which is peanuts to our overall incomes. The only owners that don’t take money out of the clubs are mafia bosses or sheiks who treat the club as their own personal FM teams. I’d much rather a businessman that takes out stable dividends and leaves the rest to the people running the club than the other. The problems lies in the fact the the CEO didn’t replace SAF with an entire team and instead keeps trying to replace the man mountain with another man mountain. Managers now simply do not do all that managers from SAF’s time used to.

Ban

I'll be happy if Ole proves he has what it takes to get a permanent job. But that begs a question will he get funds needed to strengthen the squad. And with what result is the board satisfied, will they make sure we have a team capable of going for the PL title next year.
Will Ed want to hire a DOF or he'll say, why bother, things are going well?

el3mel

I had my problem with the Glazers and I have big doubts the next summer won't be good either because the last summer problem wasn't just 'vetoing' Mourinho's targets, it was the club being unable to adapt with the new market prices. It was easy for us to spend loads when the most expensive layer was 90m or so but now you need 70m just to buy good players and we're unable to adapt so used this 'vetoing" BS as an excuse.

However, I don't find a reason why we should throw 40m as Poch. What are people seeing in him that Ole won't provide ? He has shown his limits with Spurs. He's going to provide top4, decent football and beating some big teams but he has shown feck all to prove he can push his teams to compete for something. Peoole can talk abut spending as much as they want but he has 3rd best team in the country at least and has several players that will go straight into the rest or big clubs. No one can convince me this Spurs side is weaker than the Liverpool.

Problem is people want to sign managers then expect them to change here, like getting LVG or Mourinho and expecting them to play great football. Now similarly we want Poch and expect him to offer us trophies. He has shown his limits with Spurs. There's no indication he's going to change because they already have a pretty strong team. If people want to complain about his lack of depth then Liverpool and us also had dogshite games with our second string in the cup few days ago.

If it's a choice between Ole and Poch I'll keep Ole. Ole will provide everything Poch will and he's one of us.

Last edited:

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
My only issue with Ole is whether is is a big enough draw to entice big name players to the club.
If the team are doing well and clearly enjoying themselves, players will generally want to come.

If the team aren't doing those things, Ole won't be here anyway.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I am still very dubious on if we will bother hiring a DoF (in the role we all are hoping for), anytime soon.
I think Woodward likes that role and I don't see him willingly giving up that role, unless things go completely tits up.
He will argue that under his guidance, we finished 2nd last season, while we won 2 trophies the year before and 1 trophy the year before that.
If Ole does a job of keeping us in the top 4, he will ask the question: why do we need a DoF to complicate matters.

Because he does not have the experience of signing big players. He was just a teammate of them. If he gets us to Top 4 then he will likely deserve the job, but I would worry about him from thereon in if he is just working with Woodward. Get a really good DOF working with him and we could be onto something.