Solskjaer on home form : "The Stretford End normally scores a goal for us"

Hellboy

Is it just me who is baffled by these comments ?

Ole just comes across as deluded fan at the helm.. The Stretford End would have made no difference when humiliated by Palace (2 years in a row) and Spurs because we were awful.

The longer he is at this club, the longer it will take to get back to the top. Out of his depth !

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Ole just comes across as deluded fan at the helm.. The Stretford End would have made no difference when humiliated by Palace (2 years in a row) and Spurs because we were awful.

The longer he is at this club, the longer it will take to get back to the top. Out of his depth !
Yes

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No it's not just you, there seems to be quite a few others who don't seem to realise one of the big reasons teams are better at home than away is the support.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

The longer this guy is at this club, the longer it will take to get back to the top. Out of his depth !
Personally I dont see the big deal with that comment. But I too would prefer another coach soon.

That being said, I think he has done an okayish job with the squad. Could have been great considering he went for players like Haaland (very early), Bellingham, Grealish and Sancho. Also been trying to get rid of the right players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No it's not just you, there seems to be quite a few others who don't seem to realise one of the big reasons teams are better at home than away is the support.
I think our away support is better than the home support. When crowds are back and we don't score are we going to sell the Stretford End?

fps

He’s just answering stupid questions in bland ways without giving too much away, there’s nothing in this. The media and what is said in the media has very little to do with the managers’ real jobs or viewpoints.

Web of Bissaka

Maybe they already realize it because that's too obvious... but that argument is out of the window during this covid period football?

So to keep on mentioning as to why we couldn't get "that extra edge" in those games is... deflecting from the real problem which he don't want to say or possibly even worse - he have no idea why the players couldn't get that extra edge?! If latter is the case then that says it all about our manager. If it's the former, then he's just "protecting" the players in a most lamest way.

Why get so hang-up on not having fans, he have been spending many months already without fans since last season. It's as if he knows he need badly the cheers and boos from the fans to push and motivate the players on the pitch because he can't do it anymore - the players are so thick-dull and refuse to respond to his words?

I mean our away form is very good. Meaning the opposing home teams in our away games miss and need their fans?
Or maybe it's just because they're just shit and our players decided to step-up in those away games, but complacent in home games?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Do you genuinely need to be told why the manager of Manchester United is talking about missing fans in the ground?

RedDevil@84

The question was why our home form was crap. What was he supposed to say? Someone put a curse on OT.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Do you genuinely need to be told why the manager of Manchester United is talking about missing fans in the ground?
Of course he does, it was a stupid comment from Ole. It would make sense if we were the only team playing without fans. This has been talked about in the other thread, lets just merge this please.

Leftback99

Maybe they already realize it because that's too obvious... but that argument is out of the window during this covid period football?

So to keep on mentioning as to why we couldn't get "that extra edge" in those games is... deflecting from the real problem which he don't want to say or possibly even worse - he have no idea why the players couldn't get that extra edge?! If latter is the case then that says it all about our manager. If it's the former, then he's just "protecting" the players in a most lamest way.

Why get so hang-up on not having fans, he have been spending many months already without fans since last season. It's as if he knows he need badly the cheers and boos from the fans to push and motivate the players on the pitch because he can't do it anymore - the players are so thick-dull and refuse to respond to his words?

I mean our away form is very good. Meaning the opposing home teams in our away games miss and need their fans?
Or maybe it's just because they're just shit and our players decided to step-up in those away games, but complacent in home games?
If you take that argument out of the window then every game is almost a level playing field, home vs away barely a thing so why get so hung up on it.

Look at the fixtures and our home games have been against tougher opponents than our away games, there's not much more to it than that.

For some reason people want to turn it into a 'Solskjaer can't motivate the team at home' (but can away), it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

So, let me get it right. When manager talks up importance of fans and in this case over 75000 people there are people, like you, who think it is deluded. Do you think the same when other teams, let say Liverpool, are missing their fans? Or Dortmund? Or Madrid? Or Barcelona? Or Juventus? Or is it just about Solskjaer?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If you take that argument out of the window then every game is almost a level playing field, home vs away barely a thing so why get so hung up on it.

Look at the fixtures and our home games have been against tougher opponents than our away games, there's not much more to it than that.
Tougher opponents that we would seriously be up for as would the crowd. The crowd create a great atmosphere. It is those games it is a problem. The so called lesser teams our fans just sit there and wait for something to happen anyway.

Leftback99

Tougher opponents that we would seriously be up for as would the crowd. The crowd create a great atmosphere. It is those games it is a problem. The so called lesser teams our fans just sit there and wait for something to happen anyway.
We haven't played many lesser teams at home lately though other than Palace when we were clearly behind in our preparations. Tonight will tell us more.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think our away support is better than the home support.
That's pretty much an established fact.

But the kind of people who tend to travel are the same people would would - potentially - make a difference at home too, in terms of a "12th man effect" of the sort Ole seems to be talking about.

Mind you, I don't necessarily buy into the concept. It might be somewhat outdated, to be honest.

My theory on the home advantage phenomenon (which is still a real thing, statistically speaking) is, in short, that it's mainly about the mindset of the visiting team. More often than not the away team will be happy (or happy-ish) with a point - and there you go: it influences the performance.

However...what we've seen post-Covid is potentially problematic (for my theory). But then again, it could be that an empty stadium means that the mindset changes: the managers and players don't treat an away match as an away match - but more like a match at a neutral venue. Possibly (even) at a subconscious level - I have no idea, really, just speculating wildly.

MattofManchester

My theory on the home advantage phenomenon (which is still a real thing, statistically speaking) is, in short, that it's mainly about the mindset of the visiting team.
You could also say this to be true of the home team. How much being at home gives them confidence and drive. And to a certain degree, arrogance.

R'hllor

Its well know that home support is really important in England, you know where 3k away fans out sing and out voice 50k plus.

bsCallout

That's pretty much an established fact.

But the kind of people who tend to travel are the same people would would - potentially - make a difference at home too, in terms of a "12th man effect" of the sort Ole seems to be talking about.

Mind you, I don't necessarily buy into the concept. It might be somewhat outdated, to be honest.

My theory on the home advantage phenomenon (which is still a real thing, statistically speaking) is, in short, that it's mainly about the mindset of the visiting team. More often than not the away team will be happy (or happy-ish) with a point - and there you go: it influences the performance.

However...what we've seen post-Covid is potentially problematic (for my theory). But then again, it could be that an empty stadium means that the mindset changes: the managers and players don't treat an away match as an away match - but more like a match at a neutral venue. Possibly (even) at a subconscious level - I have no idea, really, just speculating wildly.
I kind of agree in regards to it being about away team mindset.

I can't imagine OT feels like a big daunting ground when there are no fans. It would be like any other ground, same with Anfield.

I don't think home teams are better at home, I think away teams often feel the pressure more which affects their own game.

With regards to Ole he is just trying to be on the fans side - 'wish you were here'. :lol: Whilst obviously just wanting to avoid a daft question.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
A lot of fecking clichéd bullocks. Maybe 11-12 years ago.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You could also say this to be true of the home team. How much being at home gives them confidence and drive. And to a certain degree, arrogance.
Absolutely, yes - works both ways.

But it's mental more than an actual "effect" produced by the crowd.

Or, I should say - in most cases it's probably a question of what mentality you enter the match with.

In particular cases I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of the crowd having an actual effect - but I think that's quite rare on the whole.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I don't care about the rest of your comment but the Palace "humiliation" in 2019/20 was fecking daylight robbery.

MattofManchester

Absolutely, yes - works both ways.

But it's mental more than an actual "effect" produced by the crowd.

Or, I should say - in most cases it's probably a question of what mentality you enter the match with.

In particular cases I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of the crowd having an actual effect - but I think that's quite rare on the whole.
I agree. I think crowds matter in certain moments, but on the whole it's just for good ambience.

Its definitely a mental thing, and looking at our past players would give credibility to that theory as to why we were so feared and dominant at home.

PoTMS

So Ole is saying we need the OT crowd to muster more than a single point at home this season managing to score only 2 goals with a goal differential of -8. Right.

Crashoutcassius

is this going to be like the last thread, will klopp say the same thing tomorrow and be called a genius and everyone go quiet on the ole assault

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Hoof the ball

Personally I dont see the big deal with that comment. But I too would prefer another coach soon.

That being said, I think he has done an okayish job with the squad. Could have been great considering he went for players like Haaland (very early), Bellingham, Grealish and Sancho. Also been trying to get rid of the right players.
It's special pleading. Every team would benefit substantially from the home contingent of fans supporting them. An argument that the Stretford End scores a goal assumes that the Stretford End has more sway in determining match events than other teams' home stands, which is unsupportable.

Green_Red

So our home fans have no impact on the performances at Old Trafford? Imagine actual supporters saying this about themselves...

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I really wouldn't read much into it. All managers will say the same thing. It's fair enough and just a bit of pandering.

Red00012

This is like the thread created when some journalist asked Ole about Sanchez returning from his loan and he saying he will be coming back into the squad.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I agree. I think crowds matter in certain moments, but on the whole it's just for good ambience.

Its definitely a mental thing, and looking at our past players would give credibility to that theory as to why we were so feared and dominant at home.
Ambience, and a enormous part of sports economy. And the entire point of football.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s just bigging up the fans, he’s said a few times how the Stretford end can have such an effect on the team that it’s like they suck the ball in. It’s just a nice sound bite and a bit of fan service, he doesn’t genuinely expect to rely on having 12 men.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

For some reason people want to turn it into a 'Solskjaer can't motivate the team at home' (but can away), it makes no sense whatsoever.
Home games players travel from home and spend no time with each other before the games

Away games players spend time with each other at the hotel and before the game

Being around the team clearly helps and points towards why our away form is better than our home form.

Anyway, why is everyone annoyed at Ole's comments. If he'd had said that he doesn't need the fans at the stretford end, this place would be in UPROAR!

"The fans are what got you here, why are you so ungrateful, get him out my club" yadda yadda yadda

"Delusional thing to say...The longer he is at this club, the longer it will take to get back to the top. Out of his depth!" Yadda yadda yadda

This place doesn't know whether it's coming or going half the time.