Solskjaer & Staff Management Skills | Are they too soft?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why is there no anger and no emotion on the sideline? None of the staff are berating the players for losing the ball or playing a bad pass. The Fergusons, the Mourinhos and the Peps are all on the sideline encouraging and yelling at players. Why don’t any of our staff do it? Ole, Phelan, Carrick, Mckenna they are all soft. Even Ole admitted in that podcast he did he isn’t a shouter, he ticks off in his head that this player isn’t performing and that’s it.

It would be great to have someone like Roy Keane as part of the staff since he shows aggression on the sideline and someone who the players are genuinely scared off. Everyone was terrified of Fergie especially when they saw him on the sideline.

On top of this his man management skills are very poor. Not using his entire squad and rotating/rewarding players for doing a job when we didn’t have Bruno and Pogba has left them all too fatigued for the biggest week of the season. He keeps going on about fitness but he runs his players to the ground every match day.

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Not sure if this is really what you mean, but hes not nearly reactive enough in his game management. He routinely seems to take ages to react to really obvious patterns of play that hurt us.

Bwuk

I don’t think we are a side set up to use a lot of tactics.

Ole just seems to pick his best 11 and hope for the best. It was obvious today that the gap between Bruno and Pogba was too much.

Skills

Snitch
I just don't think they're talented enough quite frankly.

m1tch

I think as a manager he's trying to be less like the management style he strived under, cause he knows today's players have proven to be too delicate for that.

He's been pretty ruthless in terms of shipping out who he doesn't want, and then defends who he's got to work with even when certain players deserve nothing more than throwing under the bus.

He'sRaldo

No, we just made the mistake of not hiring a top training ground manager. Yet again.

Godfather

He was and is a stop gap solution. Don't think he has what it takes to stay here.

SER19

No. When it was Jose it was too hard on them. There are still too many players that aren't mentally strong enough no matter who is in charge. Need another transfer window to add more of right personalities

RDCR07

the long unbeaten run and various improved players might suggest they are the right amount soft?
Unbeaten run doesn’t mean shit if they can’t perform in big games. You can go the entire season unbeaten and still have only 38 points. Would be happy with that unbeaten run?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
the long unbeaten run and various improved players might suggest they are the right amount soft?
Nah. Needs to scream more. I want to see objects thrown, staff slapped, clothes being torn off, empty chairs being berated. This is the way.

Ace of Spades

The hell is this, like shouting at someone is going to get them to be better. Seen plenty of animated coaches who have failed, or have no impact on the game.

People like to blame managers a bit too much, like shouting at Pogba today would have made him take that hit to the face.

el3mel

Ole seems to spend the majority of the game watching it on this screen he has anyway. Mike Phelan was the one on touchline today giving instructions. Shadows to when LVG was letting Giggs be the one standing on touchline while he was writing useless stuff in his notebook.

Bojan11

Was annoying against Southampton all we could hear was Southampton coach. Today all we could hear was Moyes.

RDCR07

do we have the best record vs the top 6 still
Will it matter if we don’t even end up in the top four? It also says something when we cant dominant and beat teams lower down the table. If we did that we will be fighting City for 2nd place.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What are you talking about? He sends them instructions during whole game via his ipad. But bastards don't read messages.

sparx99

Unbeaten run doesn’t mean shit if they can’t perform in big games. You can go the entire season unbeaten and still have only 38 points. Would be happy with that unbeaten run?
Youngest squad in the league though isn’t it. The unbeaten run was and is encouraging as it suggests they are getting more consistent. We obviously are drawing a few too many games in that run but with their youth I expect us to get better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nah. Needs to scream more. I want to see objects thrown, staff slapped, clothes being torn off, empty chairs being berated. This is the way.
And a few balloons popped.

Crashoutcassius

Will it matter if we don’t even end up in the top four? It also says something when we can dominant and beat teams lower down the table. If we did that we will be fighting City for 2nd place.
if you dont care about all the wins and goal we scored because we didn't make top 4 then why do you bother with football

Idxomer

I don't want them to be like Miguel Herrera but more involvement wouldn't hurt, I mean 3 of them worked under Ferguson. This is a trivial point though and doubts it has a big effect in the end.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
thought pogba and martial just needed the manager to put the arm around them?
Almost as if different players need different approaches as they're all different people isn't it.

Ferguson said he'd treat Rooney different to Nani for example. Not saying that means shouting at players from the sidelines.

But I do have a gripe with Solskjaers game management and presence.

izec

I don't know if they are too soft or if that matters currently.

I think they aren't good enough, that is more worrying.

Crashoutcassius

Almost as if different players need different approaches as they're all different people isn't it.

Ferguson said he'd treat Rooney different to Nani for example. Not saying that means shouting at players from the sidelines.

But I do have a gripe with Solskjaers game management and presence.
I do think the presence stuff is nonsense. for the most part Ole has improved so many players at the club, seems nuts to second guess that after so many years of poor Matic, poor Pogba, poor Martial etc etc.

I don't pay much attention to subs personally but seems to be a major gripe of the caf win or lose so fair enough

RDCR07

if you dont care about all the wins and goal we scored because we didn't make top 4 then why do you bother with football
Same mentality Arsenal had under Wenger. To a certain extent you can be happy if we play good football but at the end of the day it needs to transfer to results. Making a top 4 is unfortunately the best result we could hope for this season and after being this close if we drop out how could you possibly be happy with that?

UnitedChampionsAgain

Not just the players who need a bollocking sometimes. Looking at Solskjaer doing nothing on the sidelines makes me think he needs one. Inject some passion ffs.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I do think the presence stuff is nonsense. for the most part Ole has improved so many players at the club, seems nuts to second guess that after so many years of poor Matic, poor Pogba, poor Martial etc etc.

I don't pay much attention to subs personally but seems to be a major gripe of the caf win or lose so fair enough
Sorry but what does improving Pogba have to do with Ole's presence?

It's a major gripe because it's a major part of a game. Solskjaer himself had a fantastic reputation as a substitute. Being able to see the course of a game and make an adjustment, whether personnel or tactical, to change that course is a very very important part of the game. The best managers are constantly talking during a game and making adjustments.

I genuinely find what you've said baffling.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
None of them are good enough. Solskjaer’s level is Managing a mid table side and the vast majority of his coaching staff are rookies. It’s a recipe for disaster.

It’s like bringing in Djemba Djemba to replace Roy Keane. If your not good enough your not good enough.

Top level championship winning coaches are a special breed. Solskjaer is not one!

JoaquinJoaquin

Can see why the players like his approach, it must be refreshing. But he does need to be more imposing at times during games. Sitting like a statue when we are struggling is hardly going to inspire our players to turn things around. This is a team that reportedly don't agree with McKenna's methods either so probably won't listen to him.

Crashoutcassius

Same mentality Arsenal had under Wenger. To a certain extent you can be happy if we play good football but at the end of the day it needs to transfer to results. Making a top 4 is unfortunately the best result we could hope for this season and after being this close if we drop out how could you possibly be happy with that?
we have been excellent since Christmas, and strange drop off in De Gea form aside I really find it hard to fault us over the longer run / many games since Christmas. I really do feel that way. Clearly we are suffering at the moment, and I think its either tiredness and lack of depth, or something a bit worse eg mentality, but doesn't take away from the season.

Funny to think a good or bad season could be decided by a last second penalty where chelsea equalise vs arsenal... how can we say good season or bad over 1 second in a different game? I just assess our performances since league table is relative.... that said.... I am pumped for Leicester, hope the fan base gets some belief back and we can get behind the team

lysglimt

Scout
This is clearly the dumbest thread on here for a long time - it made me think of this one

Duke of Wellington:
NEVER! There's only one way to win a campaign: SHOUT, SHOUT AND SHOUT AGAIN!

Blackadder:
You don't think inspired leadership and tactical ability has anything to do with it?

Duke of Wellington:
(pause) NO! It's all down to shouting! BAAAH!

RDCR07

we have been excellent since Christmas, and strange drop off in De Gea form aside I really find it hard to fault us over the longer run / many games since Christmas. I really do feel that way. Clearly we are suffering at the moment, and I think its either tiredness and lack of depth, or something a bit worse eg mentality, but doesn't take away from the season.
Maybe the squad depth isn’t fully his fault cause he inherited the players. He has still had 3 windows and has done quite well. But tiredness and mentality he plays a big part of. Again that’s part of man management which he isn’t good at.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I just don’t think he’s a very good manager. Any average manager could do alright with this team. If we had an elite manager we’d have had 3rd sewn up weeks ago.