Solskjaer & Staff Management Skills | Are they too soft?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You keep taking peoples posts out of context. I never said I wanted Ole fired. I am allowed to critical of him in the same way I am allowed to be critical of Fergie. And I don’t have a hard on for Klopp or Pep but you have to give credit where it’s due whether they are managing your rivals or not.
Ok mate fair enough :)

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
That's what rotations for? Did Matic need to start v Bournemouth at home? Probably not. Did Shaw need to play every minute of nearly every game until he got injured? Probably not. Could Ighalo have got more minutes? Maybe.

For me it's simple. Ole has done very well here so far. Got rid of the right players, signed the right players, improved some players. If we get CL, that's progress, keep building and show progress again next year. Maybe not fighting for CL on the final day, maybe more comfortably third, best case scenario we're in some sort of title challenge come April time.

If we don't, it's the same as last year. In our own hands but dropped it at the final hurdles. Coupled with a manager saying "We don't need to beat Leicester," I don't like that attitude. It doesn't bode well.
IMO Matic has been one of the most consistent performers and since we have seen so little to Fred and Scott we cant really say much about their form. Maybe the break made them rusty?

The one player who should have been rotated more is Bruno, but there the options are rubbish

That's what rotations for? Did Matic need to start v Bournemouth at home? Probably not. Did Shaw need to play every minute of nearly every game until he got injured? Probably not. Could Ighalo have got more minutes? Maybe.

For me it's simple. Ole has done very well here so far. Got rid of the right players, signed the right players, improved some players. If we get CL, that's progress, keep building and show progress again next year. Maybe not fighting for CL on the final day, maybe more comfortably third, best case scenario we're in some sort of title challenge come April time.

If we don't, it's the same as last year. In our own hands but dropped it at the final hurdles. Coupled with a manager saying "We don't need to beat Leicester," I don't like that attitude. It doesn't bode well.
agree with this 100%

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
IMO Matic has been one of the most consistent performers and since we have seen so little to Fred and Scott we cant really say much about their form. Maybe the break made them rusty?

The one player who should have been rotated more is Bruno, but there the options are rubbish
The whole eleven was pretty consistent but everyone knew they wouldn’t be able to keep it up playing every 3 days for 8-9 games. Fatigue was eventually going to set in. If we had managed their fitness better we would have gotten 4 more points from our last 2 home games and the 3rd place would have already been secured.

Keefy18

Opening 15 mins of his podcast explain his and the coaches approach to coaching

Keefy18

Sorry but what does improving Pogba have to do with Ole's presence?

It's a major gripe because it's a major part of a game. Solskjaer himself had a fantastic reputation as a substitute. Being able to see the course of a game and make an adjustment, whether personnel or tactical, to change that course is a very very important part of the game. The best managers are constantly talking during a game and making adjustments.

I genuinely find what you've said baffling.
Almost as if different players need different approaches as they're all different people isn't it.

Ferguson said he'd treat Rooney different to Nani for example. Not saying that means shouting at players from the sidelines.
Not sure what your points are here if I'm honest.

One minute its different players react to different man management approaches and the next slating Ole for his approach when almost the whole squad as shown improvement?

Seems a contradiction in what you are posting.

There's a direct correlation between when the squad players play and us dropping points.

@Gandalf Greyhame created a brilliant thread recently where he showed that in the same fixtures pre lock down we only won 3pts from 18, post lock down 14 from 18.

Ole doesn't have the luxury of having quality within the squad an has to milk every single last drop of quality from the starting XI to get us across the line.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not sure what your points are here if I'm honest.

One minute its different players react to different man management approaches and the next slating Ole for his approach when almost the whole squad as shown improvement?

Seems a contradiction in what you are posting.
I thought it was quite clear. I've never bought up his approach towards improving players as an issue. He's done well in that regard. What I have said is that he doesn't seem to manage games well, whether that's through substitions or tactical adjustments.

There's a difference between approach to improving players and approach to games?

Keefy18

I thought it was quite clear. I've never bought up his approach towards improving players as an issue. He's done well in that regard. What I have said is that he doesn't seem to manage games well, whether that's through substitions or tactical adjustments.

There's a difference between approach to improving players and approach to games?
It all depends really, I mean he doesn't have the luxury of having quality in the squad options. (I updated my comment to you above so you may not have seen it). In a nutshell it reminds of a year previous when people were adamant Lingard & Jones were his preferred starting players whilst ignoring our injury issues.

When you are going from Pogba to Lingard / Periera quality in play logically drops off. Hell, even going from Matic to McTominay for the Palace game saw a huge drop off off in our CM performance. McTominay, as much as I love the kid and think he can really improve in the years ahead, currently is simply not good enough.

Excellent piece here on McTominay and his limitations - https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2...3CDTdwnkahG-pLwNgFkJsAc2YbtyVQOS_w3MyunAO9ytw

I actually think Ole has done quite well tactically as he's bested Pep twice this season, Lampard and Jose and managed a draw with Klopp with limited resources.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I actually think Ole has done quite well tactically as he's bested Pep twice this season, Lampard and Jose and managed a draw with Klopp with limited resources.
He has done really well in those games, more than just park the bus and counter.

My gripe is that he seems to find it difficult to change the course of a game once it's started. If things are going against us in the first half hour, it's rare we turn that around. The Chelsea game as one example, you could tell we weren't winning that after 20 minutes. The Bournemouth game didn't start out great but the quality of our players won the game against a relegated team.

RDCR07

There's a direct correlation between when the squad players play and us dropping points.
What about the games against So’ton and West Ham when he played our strongest team and still dropped 4 points at home? It was fatigue that led us to put in sub par performances. Fatigue we could have avoided by rotating.

Foxbatt

The Soton game is not his fault. I have been a big critic of him but not the Soton game.
Yes the West Ham game is his responsibility. He doesn't know when to bring on the subs. This is not his fault.
Reading a game is something either you have or you don't have. The changes should come when the equilibrium is changing to the opposition. Not when it has changed completely. By the time Ole brings his subs normally it's too late.
Some games you need the legs and stamina. You don't need creativity alone.
This is why I felt Pogba should have been subbed for Fred against West Ham.
Also his set pieces would be his biggest faults.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
He has done really well in those games, more than just park the bus and counter.

My gripe is that he seems to find it difficult to change the course of a game once it's started. If things are going against us in the first half hour, it's rare we turn that around. The Chelsea game as one example, you could tell we weren't winning that after 20 minutes. The Bournemouth game didn't start out great but the quality of our players won the game against a relegated team.
This will all get better when we get a better bench, where class players that can make a difference on the offensive can come in and make assists and score goals more often. When you can sub in Fred, mcT, Perreira, Lingard etc then you do not have as much chance of changing the game other than defensively maybe. Ighalo of course, he might have a place as a sub in certain games when it comes to that.

Keefy18

What about the games against So’ton and West Ham when he played our strongest team and still dropped 4 points at home? It was fatigue that led us to put in sub par performances. Fatigue we could have avoided by rotating.
What about it?

Fatigue was setting in at that point and I think you miss the point anyway, our performances drop off the more squad players are involved. He's been vindicated in his decisions today now as he managed to drag this lot to 3rd!!

GET IN!!!!!!!

yan man utd

First of all you go under the name of zlatan who has zero humility and despite scoring a few goals for us was neither a team
Player or any form of catalyst for the future. He lacks nuance, humility or style - maybe that’s just you.

my post was tongue in cheek (you ll have to google it to understand)

nevertheless I would love to hear any form or wisdom from you - to prove that you have the intellect or wit to challenge what I said.

unfortunately it is people of your arrogance / ignorance who project negativity and expose yourselves of a total lack of understanding not only of the game itself but the English language

are you sure you are in the right forum?

yan man utd

Just noticed that this Zlatan (bless him) wanted to fight with everyone (yesterday), thinks in black and white and prefers to insult rather than discuss in a discussion forum.... what a lollll

I’m yet to read a post by him that is either entertaining or makes sense..

But hey zlatan keep trying. We are mostly a forgiving and open minded bunch. Maybe try to be less antagonistic? And grow a sense of humour Zlatan 7

yan man utd

Quality control
But you said that Klopp 'bought Ballon D'Or rated forwards'

They weren't Ballon D'Or rated/quality when he bought them. They became so under his management.
this zlatan 7 bloke really know his football right.. lolllll but then he goes by the name of zlatan- such a rational humble and likeable chat... seriously.. what is he doing on this site

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
First of all you go under the name of zlatan who has zero humility and despite scoring a few goals for us was neither a team
Player or any form of catalyst for the future. He lacks nuance, humility or style - maybe that’s just you.

nevertheless I would love to hear any form or wisdom from you - to prove that you have the intellect or wit to challenge what I said.

unfortunately it is people of your arrogance / ignorance who project negativity and expose yourselves of a total lack of understanding not only of the game itself but the English language

:lol: :lol:

romufc

Henderson the man who would never make as a top player according to SAF. That's why he didn't buy him. A man who played over 70 games for Sunderland, is not really classed as a top world class player.
No, he was not impressed by his running technique, thinking it would have injury issues. Just cause SAF thought he wouldnt make it makes him mediocre?

I have no idea what 70 Sunderland games has got to do with this?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just noticed that this Zlatan (bless him) wanted to fight with everyone (yesterday), thinks in black and white and prefers to insult rather than discuss in a discussion forum.... what a lollll

I’m yet to read a post by him that is either entertaining or makes sense..

But hey zlatan keep trying. We are mostly a forgiving and open minded bunch. Maybe try to be less antagonistic? And grow a sense of humour Zlatan 7
:eek: I think I need to find that cave that klopp turns carpets into, or something!

Kag

Had we rotated our best players by replacing them with horseshit like Lingard, Pereira and, let’s be really honest, McTominay, we would have dropped more points. Ole knows this, which is why he flogged our first team.

Ole sent a message to the board during this run. He needs more Manchester United players.

Withnail

Are you?

You're post was fan-fiction, or in other words nonsense.

Withnail

You can complain about not him managing the squad or rotating enough but the team were unbeaten and he got them into 3rd, without making a song and dance of geeing up the players, which is pretty remarkable given where we were.

If he had rotated more since lockdown there's also a chance we wouldn't have made it, given the performances of those coming of the bench in most of the games.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that ranting and raving from the touchline has any impact on player performance?

lysglimt

Scout
I just don’t think he’s a very good manager. Any average manager could do alright with this team. If we had an elite manager we’d have had 3rd sewn up weeks ago.
Considering that United beat Chelsea 3 times, Leicester 2 times, City 3 times, drew against Liverpool once etc - Guardiola, Lampard and Rodgers must really be crap managers then - losing to a manager who in your opinion is below average.

Wilt

Had we rotated our best players by replacing them with horseshit like Lingard, Pereira and, let’s be really honest, McTominay, we would have dropped more points. Ole knows this, which is why he flogged our first team.

Ole sent a message to the board during this run. He needs more Manchester United players.
Ole has given contact extensions to all three

quirkey

True, and Jones but I think there is an element of getting transfer funds for them. I would be surprised if Perreira and Lingard are here next season. McTominay has done enough to get a contract, he is a solid squad option against lesser teams, when we need to see games out etc.

Bestietom

We have all criticised at some point this season. it's really a thing, when your team lose or draw. But this is down mainly to the strength and depth of the squad. With 5 substitutes now, teams have a much better chance of being able to change when things are not going well.
You must have the players on the bench to be able to do this, along with a shrewd coach/coaches. We need improvement in areas on the team as well as in the squad. We have a few young players who can move up when we get rid of some deadwood, but we also need a few more top players.
Left footed CB
DM
RW
Forward

Kag

He rates McTominay. Pereira is the sort of extension that makes economic sense from a club perspective. Lingard has not signed a contract that intimates he’s a part of our plans. What is your point?

Wilt

He rates McTominay. Pereira is the sort of extension that makes economic sense from a club perspective. Lingard has not signed a contract that intimates he’s a part of our plans. What is your point?
You called them “horseshit”.

bsCallout

Considering that United beat Chelsea 3 times, Leicester 2 times, City 3 times, drew against Liverpool once etc - Guardiola, Lampard and Rodgers must really be crap managers then - losing to a manager who in your opinion is below average.
It's always the fallback for people who oppose the manager.

"Oh but it's easy with this team".

It's the biggest load of horseshhhh. Just looked at where people predicted we would finish.

United Hobbit

Did I read it right that he said something along the lines of no matter what happens today (before the Leicester game) we have done well?

Thats almost being too nice, yes we have done well to haul back the gap and I could understand him saying it if we needed other results to go our way eg we were 5th and needed Chelsea and Leicester to drop points, fine as long as we did our best if the situation had been like that and we'd done what we needed to do eg win we couldn't help they'd won and we missed out

However we were in the power position as we were 3rd how would we have done well if we'd lost to an out of form Leicester side on the last day, when they have several injured players. That is not doing well its blowing it given wed got ourselves back to that position

It does possibly suggest a mental problem that he has to take the softly softly approach. It sets the tone mediocrity is allowed.
I'm obviously glad we have top 4 and I'm not knocking him there just rather surprised he'd say something like that going into probably the biggest game of our season. It just asks for complacency, yes the players shouldn't need any explanation of how important the game was but still. There're times for being nice and times for a bit of a rocket up them

Kag

You called them “horseshit”.
Two of them are. Lingard and Pereira were given a massive chance to prove otherwise during the first six months of the season and failed to justify their (often enforced) selections. McTominay isn’t too bad, in fairness; but he isn’t remotely good enough to start for the club on a regular basis.

Withnail

Did I read it right that he said something along the lines of no matter what happens today (before the Leicester game) we have done well?

Thats almost being too nice, yes we have done well to haul back the gap and I could understand him saying it if we needed other results to go our way eg we were 5th and needed Chelsea and Leicester to drop points, fine as long as we did our best if the situation had been like that and we'd done what we needed to do eg win we couldn't help they'd won and we missed out

However we were in the power position as we were 3rd how would we have done well if we'd lost to an out of form Leicester side on the last day, when they have several injured players. That is not doing well its blowing it given wed got ourselves back to that position

It does possibly suggest a mental problem that he has to take the softly softly approach. It sets the tone mediocrity is allowed.
I'm obviously glad we have top 4 and I'm not knocking him there just rather surprised he'd say something like that going into probably the biggest game of our season. It just asks for complacency, yes the players shouldn't need any explanation of how important the game was but still. There're times for being nice and times for a bit of a rocket up them
Pinch of salt, mate. Before the game, Brendan Rodgers claimed that Leicester were doing well to be in with a shout for top 4 on the final day and played it off like they didn't have a spectacular collapse since Christmas.

Don't be fooled, public comments are not reflective of private ones especially with Ole.

RDCR07

Listen this season is done and we got third. So kinda pointless arguing about this now but i ll indulge you anyway. When people think of rotating I think everyone automatically assumes changing out the entire XI. It doesn’t. It could also mean starting Pogba at #10 and playing Fred/Scott and Matic behind them. Same with starting Bruno and leaving Pogba on the bench. Same with resting Rashford and starting Martial there with Ighalo upfront. One or two changes a game still counts as rotation.

He can send all the messages he wants. It’s not like he is going to get XI new players for squad depth. He needs to use most of who he has got now for next season as well.

ReddBalls

The players knew what the goal was. Solskjær told the world in the post match press conference after Norwich that United should get third place. At the time there were 7 games to play, and United were 6 points behind Leicester.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/ole-gu...e-from-manchester-/12wz1h9bj3fvg1qazwiyrcztj2