Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

caid

CB should be our first priority. Actually, getting rid of Woodward for someone who recognises that should be first priority.

UncleBob

You can afford to get rid of that many when we could promote Henderson, Laird, Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong...add 4 big signings to that CB, CM, RW and either RB or SC (or both) and we’d be in a far healthier state
:lol::lol:

El-Manos

I’d be okay with the 2 Belgian boys coming to boost our defence. De Ligt is unrealistic and Obi Wan will cost a fortune.

renatosanches85

My pleasure :)

Sell:

Pogba: 175M (although I don't condone selling him)
Lukaku: 95M
Darmian: 15M
Rojo: 15M
Jones: 30M
(I revised Rojo and Jones down because people disagreed)

Buy:

Fernandes: 20M (don't know much about him so evaluation may be off)
Rice: 35M
Tielemans/De Beek: 20M (don't know much about him so evaluation may be off)
Alderweireld: 25M
Meunier: 20M
Nicolas Pepe: 30M (don't know much about him...).

From the other guy's list, evaluations seem more or less accurate except Lozano, Neves and Felix seem too high and the United players seem to low, except Mata who would leave on a free.
Don't agree with these.

Darmian 15m? We would be lucky to get 8m. Jones? 20m at an absolute max. Lukaku would go for about 60m if we get lucky. Pogba I would say 120m

Fernandes would cost north of 50m, Rice about 60m, Tielemans 30m, and Pepe could be the most expensive, I'd say about 60-70. Left footed right sided wingers are a rare enough commodity, especially those that are quick, strong and score goals.

UncleBob

I have no idea why some are under the impression that we're going to ship out so many first team players. Mindboggling that people are thick enough to even suggest it.

We're already in a situation where, without losing anyone,we need a centre back, a fullback, a midfielder and an attacking player. You need a bit of a foundation, you don't rebuild an entire first team. Add to that, we also risk losing Herrera and Mata, one of those players will have to be replaced.

People suggesting we should just get rid of Pogba and De Gea are clearly not thinking straight...Even getting rid of Lukaku isn't the best of ideas

crossy1686

career ending
Given the quality of your posts, there's hardly any reason to get involved in a debate about football and our squad with you.
Interesting. I have a different opinion than you therefore it lacks quality? Such an elitist bullshit thing to say but I can't say I expect more. Just tell us how it is then and we'll all just follow your narrative, save us the bother of even discussing alternate scenarios.

Also, I'm not the one who responded to a point with laughing emoji's, the internet is a big place so try and be mature when you're out and about.

AaronRedDevil

As long as United get rid of Jones, smalling, young and Valencia. Then and only then will United change. Those players enforce a different thinking in the play style. All they know is crossing it side ways. New players are more forward thinking. Attack and adapt. Also I've no idea what striker is good for United. The good ones are too old and the others are too young.

Flytan

As long as United get rid of Jones, smalling, young and Valencia. Then and only then will United change. Those players enforce a different thinking in the play style. All they know is crossing it side ways. New players are more forward thinking. Attack and adapt. Also I've no idea what striker is good for United. The good ones are too old and the others are too young.
I mean Valencia is already gone according to Ole, so that's one. Youngy won't be leaving unfortunately. I cannot comprehend how he is a leader in the squad. He needs to go. It was one thing when he was a squad rotation player but the squad has completely deteriorated over his and Valencia's leadership the past few years.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You can afford to get rid of that many when we could promote Henderson, Laird, Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes, Greenwood and Chong...add 4 big signings to that CB, CM, RW and either RB or SC (or both) and we’d be in a far healthier state
Some fans really do have blind faith in our youth. If one of them becomes top class I'll be happy.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t think it will be the clubs or Oles choice to ship Pogba, I think he’s going to ‘do a Ronaldo’ on us

UncleBob

I don’t think it will be the clubs or Oles choice to ship Pogba, I think he’s going to ‘do a Ronaldo’ on us
Become the best player in the world, sign a contract extension and leave for a world record fee ?

Doesn't sound too shabby

ExecutionerWasp001

People suggesting we should just get rid of Pogba and De Gea are clearly not thinking straight...Even getting rid of Lukaku isn't the best of ideas
It seems to me that Pogba & DDG don't want to be here anymore. Pogba has been largely underwhelming for 3 seasons. DDG looks shot & we don't know if this is permanent or temporary. It's the ideal time to sell these players before their stock falls further. Lukaku our £90 Mill striker has been dropped regularly for Rashford. He is also putting up lower numbers than he did at Everton. We have given him the chance to show whether he can make it to the elite level. It's clear to see what his true level is. It's likely that we would have to take a big loss. I'd take that rather than see the lumbering oaf in a Utd shirt next season.

OleTheGreat

We need a proper overhaul in order to challenge for any kind of challenge next season. We need a few players in key situations and that definitely has to be done his summer. In spite of giving a contract extension to Smalling and Young, i hope Ole can phase them out of United in the upcoming season. Furthermore, i think we need a fully functioning midfield that can pass the ball precisely and quickly.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I have no idea why some are under the impression that we're going to ship out so many first team players. Mindboggling that people are thick enough to even suggest it.

We're already in a situation where, without losing anyone,we need a centre back, a fullback, a midfielder and an attacking player. You need a bit of a foundation, you don't rebuild an entire first team. Add to that, we also risk losing Herrera and Mata, one of those players will have to be replaced.

Why would you keep players who don’t want to be here?
That would be ridiculous for a club of our stature, for any club really.

I don’t mind shipping out 10 players, and get 4 solid signings in.
We have many players whose contribution would be easily replaced by our young players on far lesser wages, and far more motivation.
That won’t happen though, unfortunately, we’ll see 2-3 out and 2-3 in.

We’re in for a long rebuild, I’d take finishing outside the top 6 for a season it it meant we would be a better side in 2-3 years, due to our youngsters developing greatly.
I’m tired of them fecking mercenaries, mate, I’m tired.

UncleBob

It seems to me that Pogba & DDG don't want to be here anymore. Pogba has been largely underwhelming for 3 seasons. DDG looks shot & we don't know if this is permanent or temporary. It's the ideal time to sell these players before their stock falls further. Lukaku our £90 Mill striker has been dropped regularly for Rashford. He is also putting up lower numbers than he did at Everton. We have given him the chance to show whether he can make it to the elite level. It's clear to see what his true level is. It's likely that we would have to take a big loss. I'd take that rather than see the lumbering oaf in a Utd shirt next season.
The team has largely been underwhelming, we're not talking about individuals not fitting into a well oiled machinery, it would also be a good idea to keep in mind that the "largely underwhelming player" has also been perhaps our best player in this period as well. De Gea was close to signing the new contract early into the season, to the point that Mourinho stated it publically, something has obviously changed since, but reaching the conclusion that he doesn't want to be here when we're still negotating with him, seems a bit odd. In terms of looking shot, rewind 2 months and the notion was that he was the best goalkeeper in the world.

It isn't all that complicated. The first team squad as it is today needs to be strengthen, a bare minimum should be 4 players (fullback, cb, midfielder, attacking player to play out right). Arguing that we should dump De Gea, Pogba and Lukaku at the same time, and as a bare minimum need 7 players that needs to more or less go straight into the starting lineup, christ.

UncleBob

Why would you keep players who don’t want to be here?
That would be ridiculous for a club of our stature, for any club really.
Why didn't we allow Cristiano Ronaldo to leave the first two times ? Or Nistelrooy for that matter. Why didn't Liverpool bin off Suarez to Arsenal when he wanted to sod off there etc. Rooney to Chelsea.

Running a professional football club on the basis that if a player wants to join another club we should just bin him off, is nothing else than pure stupidity.

UncleBob

What currency is this?

Because we sure as shit aren't getting 15 million Euros/pounds for Darmian. Finding a team willing to pay anything for him would be a win.
We've even struggled to loan him out

Toddler

I am truly and honestly afraid that this summer turns out to be another failure in the transfer market. The allure of the club is veining in the eyes of the players due to the state of the club; there is no clear direction, there is no sign of structural change in the way this club handles transfers, there will be no champions league and there is a certain doom hanging in the air that some of our better players might be leaving. What I am sure of, is that this team wont be challenging for anything big next year without a miracle.

UncleBob

I am truly and honestly afraid that this summer turns out to be another failure in the transfer market. The allure of the club is veining in the eyes of the players due to the state of the club; there is no clear direction, there is no sign of structural change in the way this club handles transfers, there will be no champions league and there is a certain doom hanging in the air that some of our better players might be leaving. What I am sure of, is that this team wont be challenging for anything big next year without a miracle.
Remember to lock the panic room door while you're at it.

davidmichael

We need a minimum of SIX just to compete and that isn’t allowing for the likely departures of Pogba, De Gea and Herrera. We already need a right back, centre back, left back, defensive midfielder, tempo dictating midfielder and a right forward.

I’d love to see Wan-Bisakka, De Ligt, Tierney, Rice, Eriksen and Sancho but then if De Gea and Pogba both leave we need to replace them as well which is another £200 million on top. We need to sort the De Gea and Pogba situations out before the summer so they don’t become a distraction as we need a clear run at the summer transfer window to do what’s needed.

sp_107

With or without DOF, some hard descisions to be made in the summer

Looks insane but we need to get rid of so many average players sitting on top money and while negotiating new deals we shouldn't go overboard and pay ransom

Alexis / Lukaku / Mata / Lingard/ Martial / Fellaini / Fred / Matic / Perrera / Pogba / Young / Smalling / Baily / Rojo / AV/ Jones/ Darmian= OUT

Before you say things like its not PlayStation OR getting rid of so many is insane in one window, how many of the above you still try to keep except Pogba who wants to join Zidane ?

Might be a difficult way but do it. We can get 420 millions on above player sales in addition to summer budget so spend that wisely

Start from the scratch and try to add quality players in next 2 windows

Werner/Jovic/Richarlison/Hirving/Sancho/Brandt////Neves/Bruno/Felix/Aouar/Tilesman/Brooks/Erikson////Deligt/Romagnoli/Koulibaly/Milkenovic/Toby/WBS/Meunier

If we can try to get few from the above list with all that money which can improve us a lot !

RuudTom83

Buying for buying sake is not a good idea.

Long term targets should be identified, and just because you want a certain position filling doesn’t mean that player is available to fill it.

We all know Woody is terrible at transfers so I’d much rather Ole went for 2-3 players who he really wanted and then look at youth/loans until January.

No one at the club should be expecting to win the league next year, so a sense of control and calmness can descend on the club.

No Panic!

Sir Scott McToMinay

Looks insane but we need to get rid of so many average players sitting on top money and while negotiating new deals we shouldn't go overboard and pay ransom

Alexis / Lukaku / Mata / Lingard/ Martial / Fellaini / Fred / Matic / Perrera / Pogba / Young / Smalling / Baily / Rojo / AV/ Jones/ Darmian= OUT

Before you say things like its not PlayStation OR getting rid of so many is insane in one window, how many of the above you still try to keep except Pogba who wants to join Zidane ?

Might be a difficult way but do it. We can get 420 millions on above player sales in addition to summer budget so spend that wisely

Werner/Jovic/Richarlison/Hirving/Sancho/Brandt////Neves/Bruno/Felix/Aouar/Tilesman/Brooks/Erikson////Deligt/Romagnoli/Koulibaly/Milkenovic/Toby/WBS/Meunier

If we can try to get few from the above list with all that money which can improve us a lot !
You can’t get over him leaving so you’re still in denial mode?
Big Felli left the club mate.

Mcking

If we are not going to sign a CB, then we need to sell De gea and bring in a better all-round goalkeeper. We can't go into another season with defenders that aren't the best and a goalkeeper that only stops shots and does not help them out in any way.

UncleBob

So get rid of 16 players (17 with Fellaini, but we've already sold him, i assume that makes it complicated if we try to sell him again)

Jonno

The annoying thing now is, the club will take all summer to identify a Sporting Director / Director of Football.

That person will no doubt be an inexperienced club legend that needs 2 years to get to know the role.

During this time we will fall 2 years further behind in the transfer market.

I said during the Mourinho era we needed to sell 10-12 and bring in 10-12 if we want to actually challenge City. People laughed and now its becoming more and more apparent.

I've never seen the standards this low at the club. It pains me to say it, but I now expect this squad to try to challenge for top 4. Still can't believe that's what I'm saying. But i'd be shocked if anybody is expecting this squad to challenge for the PL without MAJOR surgery over various transfer windows

UncleBob

Okay. Thank you for your great input. We need people like you in here.
Thanks, and yes.

People would do well to remember the state of Liverpool over the years, where they are now and the players they managed to bring in over the years.

Essentially, given the size of the club, history of the club, wages we pay, the revenues we bring in, the likelyhood that we'll fade into obscurity is quite small. Todays players have grown up with Manchester United as one of the biggest and most successfull clubs, that doesn't go away just overnight and it's unlikely that we'll collapse completely as well.

Going into panic mode and pretending we're basically at the edge of the universe, about to fall into a black hole, is a tad dramatic.

UncleBob

The annoying thing now is, the club will take all summer to identify a Sporting Director / Director of Football.

That person will no doubt be an inexperienced club legend that needs 2 years to get to know the role.

During this time we will fall 2 years further behind in the transfer market.
Why ?

The role of a sporting director / something director of football is a long term strategy, it's not a crucial strategy for the next two years.

You make it sound like Ole is sitting alone in a cupboard trying to identify players we can sign

We've done extensive scouting over the years on various upcoming players.

Jonno

Why ?

The role of a sporting director / something director of football is a long term strategy, it's not a crucial strategy for the next two years.

You make it sound like Ole is sitting alone in a cupboard trying to identify players we can sign

We've done extensive scouting over the years on various upcoming players.
That sounds great, but I can count on 1 hand the amount of good signings we've made since 2012/13. I look around at City, Spurs, Liverpool, feck even Wolves and I see excellent signings, year on year. All of this scouting we've done over the years has done us almost no favours in the transfer market so far, so why would it help us now?

They're bringing in a sporting director to end the rot of horrendous signings, and as such, they will want him to take control of signings, not give Ole, whos last major transfer window was with Cardiff, £250m to spend on his own.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
It pains me to say it, but I now expect this squad to try to challenge for top 4. Still can't believe that's what I'm saying. But i'd be shocked if anybody is expecting this squad to challenge for the PL without MAJOR surgery over various transfer windows.
We're basically turning into Arsenal I think.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Unfortunately, even if Pogba reaches the ‘best player in the world’ level, I don’t think he is classy enough to stay one more year, then let us capitalize on selling him. Yes, CR7 had his petulant moments with us regarding wanting to leave, but it was quality that he stayed in 08/09 & allowed us to sell him to his dream club at what was then a world record (seems like absolute robbery now).

Just don’t see the same DNA in Pogba, unfortunately.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unfortunately, even if Pogba reaches the ‘best player in the world’ level, I don’t think he is classy enough to stay one more year, then let us capitalize on selling him. Yes, CR7 had his petulant moments with us regarding wanting to leave, but it was quality that he stayed in 08/09 & allowed us to sell him to his dream club at what was then a world record (seems like absolute robbery now).

Just don’t see the same DNA in Pogba, unfortunately.
Yeah sorry I should clarify - play mind games whilst seeking a move away