Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Eleven-Eighteen

And when will the bubble burst? Surely, some day it will, right?
Yes, it will. History tells us all bubbles do burst eventually, without exception. This one will too. No one knows when - but it'll most likely be when pretty much everyone thinks it won't.

When it does - top teams dabbling in ridiculous, pricey transfers will be the ones bearing the brunt of it. And right now the front runner in that pack is our very own United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE UNITED I BEG YOU TO GET THIS GEM £25 FECKING MILL RELEASE CLAUSE THAT IS IT !!!
Running almost the length of the pitch, and didn't look out of breath. What a sight to behold.

Mylock

How about we buy Fernandes for the pogba role, Jovic (if we have to pay big for any player this is the guy as he's reminds me of a young Alan Sherear) to play CF, Ake as a left CB which we haven't in the squad (good option as left back), Alderweireld as the experienced CB, Coleman as the experienced RB (we have serious talent coming through the ranks as full backs positions), Rice to come instead of Matic.

Team next season - De Gea, Shaw, Ake (lindelof), Alderweireld (Tuanzebe), Coleman, Rice, Gomes/Gardner/Herrera, mctominay, Fernandes, rashford, jovic, Greenwood.

2019-20 squad- De Gea, Romero, Coleman, Tuanzebe, lindelof, Alderweireld, Ake, Shaw, laird, o connor, Gomes, Gardner, Herrera, mcTominay, Fernandes, Rice, Rashford, Jovic, Greenwood, Martial (not 100 % sure if we should keep), Dalot, Fred or Pereria, Matic (last season as backup), Lingard, Chong, Bially (if we get a good offer i would sell him) . Move on - Pogba (keep if comes out and commits 100%, otherwise move on), Valencia, Mata, Damian, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Young, Sanchez, Lukaku.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

NoPace

You look at Klopps "hit" transfers when he took over at Liverpool, and you realize how long it'll take us and Ole or whoever will have a massive job on their hands. It's a massive window for us and one we can't back down on or ignore some positions.

First summer - Matip, Mane, Wijnaldum, Karius, klavan, manninger

Second season - Salah, Robertson, Oxlade Chamberlain, Van dijk, Solanke

Third season - Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri, Alisson

His only "flops" were the random cheap/free punts, but the rest were all huge successes. All starters or very useful squad players in some way. You look at those players, none of them were big name players before they went there. None were players that were sought after by the very top teams. They went for smart signings and the right players, addressed problem positions, and did what they needed to do.

What United need to do is sign a right back, a center back, 2 midfielders, and a right winger. Even comparatively, go for players like Tielemans, Ruben Neves, Meunier/Wan Bissaka, go big on a center back and a right winger to suit. They don't have to be players like Dybala or Pogba. They have to be the right players all bought with the same plan in mind, and all bought to address the real holes.
This sounds right.

Ziyech and Bruno Fernandes should be hungry and while they have their faults, would give us some creative players with desire who fit behind Martial/Rashford/Lukaku/Greenwood, who aren't going to become brilliant at dropping deep to link up anytime soon but do have speed and finishing ability.

If we sign those 2, Wan-Bissaka, a deeper midfielder who can pass and the best centerback we can get (both under 28) I'll be very happy.

I'm not against Dybala if he wants to be here and Ole wants to play him as a false 9, we really need creativity and quality on the ball and Dybala is young.

AshRK

I know we need to sort our attack out but I would say let us fix our defence first. Season after season we end up having chuckle brothers smalling-Jones combo. Have had enough of them and less said about Young the better.

I would say AWB is a must and fix the RB issue. I am not too picky on which CB to sign. At this point any good CB would improve our defense. Pair them with Lindelof and we might look good. I would seriously look to sign Ndidi, a very good player on the ball and works his ass off. For RW I would go for Ziyech, get him at any cost and if he doesn't want to come I would go for either Felix or Sancho. Zaha would also be a good back up option just in case Ziyech thing doesn't materialize. If lukaku is leaving then I would want us to go all out for Jovic. But we can try doing without a proper number 9 and have a fluid front 3. In that case we can go and get Bruno hernandez and play 4-3-1-2, with two full backs bombing forward.

So trying to be realistic I would say this should be our plan

Sell: Jones, Rojo, Sanchez, Lukaku, Darmian, Herrera(Won't mind him to stay as a squad player but I think he is off). I would also love to sell Young off but I can see ole keeping him as an experienced squad player for one more season.

Buy: AWB, CB (No particular name), Ndidi, Ziyech and Bruno.

It is very important we keep Pogba and De gea for one more season, cannot have losing them because that would mean we won't be able to sell other shit that we have.

GK: De gea, Romero and Grant. Let henderson stay at Sheffield for one more season and take the PL experience.

RB: AWB, Dalot and Young as back up

CB: Lindelof, New CB, Baily, Smalling and Tuanzebe

LB: Shaw and Young as back up

Midfield: Pogba, Ndidi, Matic, Fred, Mctominay

Forwards: Rashford, Martial, Ziyech, Bruno or some RW, Mata, Lingard, Greenwood, chong and Gomes

I feel this would be a good start to build on. Then next summer we can sell Smalling, Matic young, Mata and by that time jury will be out on Martial, SHaw, Fred and other youngsters.

The Irish Connection

Ziyech was very good the other night.

I don’t watch the eredivisie but I like what I’ve seen of bergwijn. He reminds me a bit of a young willian or Douglas costa. And probably wouldn’t cost a huge amount.

Hughie77

Ziyech stats over the years (he joined Ajax mid 2016/17)

2014/15: 34 G+A
2015/16: 29 G+A
2016/17: 32 G+A
2017/18: 27 G+A
2018/19: 42 G+A

Plays freely across the pitch and isn’t stagnant like all our attacking options, nor is he lazy as he runs his legs off and doesn’t stop. It’s crazy to think his best/peak years are still to come.

It’s unfortunate he’s not a big draw because if he was, you know Woodward’s delusional ass would go after him (''When people see Schweinsteiger on the team sheet, that's gonna send some shivers down the spine.''). Was his name Di Maria or Ozil or Alexis etc...a more renowned player and guarantee we’d be after him. But I’m certain Ed thinks Ziyech won’t send shivers down opponents spines :confused:

Not sure if anyone caught the game today but Ziyech was running wild out there. He was literally everywhere and created a handful of key scoring chances. Scored and had a shot go off the post which had Lloris easily beat.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE UNITED I BEG YOU TO GET THIS GEM £25 FECKING MILL RELEASE CLAUSE THAT IS IT !!!
Agree good buy ..

Fer

Ziyech was very good the other night.

I don’t watch the eredivisie but I like what I’ve seen of bergwijn. He reminds me a bit of a young willian or Douglas costa. And probably wouldn’t cost a huge amount.
The times I have seen PSV, I have been more impressed with Lozano. Do you rate Bergwijn as a better player than Lozano?

riis

Supports
Liverpool
Options with EPL experience;

Centre-back --> Ake / Maguire
Right-back --> Pereira / Wan-Bissaka
Centre mid --> Neves / Ndidi / Lerma
Attacking mid --> Tielemans / Maddison
Winger --> F. Anderson / Brooks / Richarlison

Fer

Options with EPL experience;

Centre-back --> Ake / Maguire
Right-back --> Pereira / Wan-Bissaka
Centre mid --> Neves / Ndidi / Lerma
Attacking mid --> Tielemans / Maddison
Winger --> F. Anderson / Brooks / Richarlison
I think Ole is going to take that approach. I can see him sign British players and players with EPL experience.

We could easily sell/release 10 players, so the players you mentioned are a good alternative if we combine them with at least 2 mega signings like De Ligt and Sancho.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There should be big clearout and also promoting few young players from academy won't be bad idea too. Spend big on first team players and replace the squad players and also players who barely contributed with our academy players. We will have good enough first team and also young and hungry players who wants to improve as squad players, playing in Europa league and cup games.

I don't see what we lose if we replace senior players with young players. These players barely contributed anything and cost around 700-800k per week in wages.

Mata - Greenwood
Rojo, Jones - Tuanzebe
Lingard - Gomes
Young, Darmian - Laird

AJ10

I understand we won't send sell all our deadwood in this window (most likely 4 windows needed) but we seriously need to get rid of at least 3/4 in this window excluding the ones leaving already.

Then we need to Prioritise our weakest areas; RB/RW/CB/CM/ST (if lukaku leaves) not just spend on a new shiny toy like we've done before while ignoring the glaring holes in our 11.

Just don't want to see these lot as automatic starters Young/Smalling/Jones/Rojo/Darmian in defence - Mct/Fred/Matic in Midfield and Attack - Lingard/Rashford (as the main striker).

Look at the state of that trash at the so called biggest club in the world :rolleyes: they wouldn't make spurs 11.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Reading the Forum over the past few weeks the headline should now read “Solskjær targets 15 signings and 16 players could leave”

That should satisfy some. 5 in 6 out would be a fantastic start. The 6 out shouldn’t include Pogba, DDG. Every passing season though, the clear out needed becomes bigger.

Beaucoup

It doesn't really matter who we bring in when we have such a poor manager.

Roboc7

De Gea might leave, no more than 2 of Young, Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Bailly or Smalling will go. Mata and Pogba might go but no other midfielders will leave, someone will still be willing to bet on Sanchez so he’s gone.

That’s at most another 4-6 out on top of Herrera and Valencia, I suspect the number and quality of players brought in will be underwhelming and won’t be more than five.

The ‘rebuild’ will not be what a lot of fans are expecting.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think Lukaku will be going. Ole probably doesn't see him as our starting striker and I doubt Lukaku will be happy to sit on the bench. If Conte does go to Inter then it's heavily rumoured in Italy that Conte will want Lukaku to replace Icardi.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
4 potential incomings, whether any of it comes to pass remains to be seen:

SOLSKJAER SETTLES ON FOUR TOP MAN UTD TARGETS
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has four major targets in mind this summer as he bids to stamp his mark on Manchester United and help the club reclaim their place among the elite.

United’s embarrassing 2-0 home defeat to relegated Cardiff on Sunday brought the curtain down on a disastrous campaign that saw them finish in a lowly sixth.

Solskjaer now has the massive task of rebuilding a side who look a million miles off challenging for the top honours – and according to multiple reports across Europe, the United manager has settled on the four names he wants to bring in in an ambitious €300m swoop.

According to il Corriere di Torino, United will make the capture of Paulo Dybala from Juventus their biggest summer outlay. Juve are willing to sell the Argentine and United are so far the only club willing to match their €100m valuation.

The paper claims talks between the clubs have already taken place and, to United’s delight, Juventus have shown an interest in taking Alexis Sanchez to Turin, as part of the deal. At this stage, however, it’s unclear as to how much United value Sanchez at and what Juve are willing to pay for a player, who has offered an apology for his disappointing campaign at Old Trafford.

And Dybala won’t be the only Juve man arriving at Old Trafford this summer, with il Gazzetta dello Sport claiming United are closing on the €42m capture of right-back Joao Cancelo. The Portuguese star is willing to make the move to Old Trafford and it’s reported that Matteo Darmian could move the opposite direction to bring the cost of the deal down.

Reports in Portugal, meanwhile, claim United are nearing a double raid for two of the country’s brightest stars.

According to Record, United are willing to go as high as €70m to bring in Sporting Lisbon’s Bruno Fernandes, who has enjoyed a stellar goalscoring season in the heart of the midfield.

And finally, A Bola believe Solskjaer has settled on Benfica defender Ruben Dias as the answer to his central defender search. The Portugal defender has a €60m exit clause in his deal and, with Atletico Madrid having got cold feet, United are now in the driving seat to bring the player to Old Trafford.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/euro-...uartet-wolves-in-e40m-raid-for-marseille-star

Kaglish10

There should be big clearout and also promoting few young players from academy won't be bad idea too. Spend big on first team players and replace the squad players and also players who barely contributed with our academy players. We will have good enough first team and also young and hungry players who wants to improve as squad players, playing in Europa league and cup games.

I don't see what we lose if we replace senior players with young players. These players barely contributed anything and cost around 700-800k per week in wages.

Mata - Greenwood
Rojo, Jones - Tuanzebe
Lingard - Gomes
Young, Darmian - Laird
Mata - Gomes.

Rojo, Jones - Tuazenbe.

Lingard - Chong

Rashford - Greenwood

Young, Darmain - Laird, O'Connor.

gr3yham3

future2future

Cancelo would be a good player for us: Modern forward thinking back with experience on the highest level.

Ziyech would be a great addition but he needs people around him who want to make runs without the ball etc. He's a playmaker.

I also think vd Beek would be a great option in midfield: An intelligent hard working guy who can also score goals

Adcuth

.................................DDG................................

Dalot..........Linedlof.........Maguire ......Shaw

................................Neves......................

...............Tielemans .........Van De Beek..........

..............................Pogba.............................

.................Rashford............Dybala...........

Last edited:

Nick.

If Ziyech is actually available for €25m we should be all over it. The only problem is how to convince him to join Europa League Man Utd (currently a shambles) when he is in a top club like Ajax, competing for the CL and surely with interest from other elite clubs.

He's not ready to be a starter, we need a new RB.

Rauður Djöfull

Mata - Greenwood
Rojo, Jones - Tuanzebe
Lingard - Gomes
Young, Darmian - Laird
This!
Agree completely, would like to see us do that while adding a few who could walk into the first team straight away or stake a claim. Sad thing is even if those left and the likes of Herrera and Valencia due to contracts there are still plenty left who could be sold or should be but you can't do it all in one summer so some will get a chance until januar/next summer.

Of course things depend on who will leave as well, like if Lukaku leaves we need to replace him and we probably should go for a striker anyway but than again midfield might be needing two additions, Matic is on last legs and would maybe work well as experience and locker room presence, Pogba might leave and wether he does or not, he is gonna need more creativity around him for easier teams and maybe a workhorse DM or box to box for tougher games.

So if we are aiming for 5 signings I'd probably like a RB, CB, CM, RW and a ST.

NoPace

If Ziyech is actually available for €25m we should be all over it. The only problem is how to convince him to join Europa League Man Utd (currently a shambles) when he is in a top club like Ajax, competing for the CL and surely with interest from other elite clubs.
They won't be competing for the CL next year in all likelihood without De Ligt and De Jong and maybe Neres or Tagliafico (no matter what he says, the right offer could surely change things) and he'd get a huge wage bump here.

Going to Bayern or Juve (if Dybala goes he makes some sense) or someone like that sure, but I imagine he'd take us and our filthy lucre over Ajax.

Champagne Football

We're not gonna sign a young marquee signing like Neves that will block Garners path to the first XI. Garner is the future. Signing Idrissa Gueye is the right player at the right age who will give us a couple of good years before Garner takes over. Quite a few rumours that McTominay will be given a chance next season.

Koulibaly, Idrissa Gueye, Cancelo, Dembele and Bruno Fernandes would be nice as our 5 big signings.

I don't believe the Dybala rumours. Don't see him as a Man Utd player. Moussa Dembele more likely.

A goalkeeper
Cancelo Koulibaly Lindelof Shaw
Gueye McTominay Fernandes
Greenwood Dembele Rashford​

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Except for no knee RB I like that. New RB and Dalot LB. would be a nice set up to build on.

Fer

We can get Meunier and Alderweireld for the same amount of money that Maguire would cost.
The diamond formation would be the best as you suggested considering the players we have. But I would rather Pogba in his best position with Fernandes/Felix behind the strikers.