Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agree with that though it’s hard to not get sucked in sometimes.

I think a British core for the PL is important so I’m excited about what this summer may bring.
I kind of agree with this. We will be nowhere near to challenging. It will take patience with the team and Ole. Not sure some of the fans have that. If we make a lot of changes it will take a while for them to settle in, but the worrying thing is, if we do not change that defence in some departments then it could get worse. At the moment I am including the GK in that last statement. There are worrying signs with him.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I don't understand the whole British core thing. None of the top clubs have a British core, you bringing in the best players you can that can play together as a team.
Tbf there's an argument to say that England's youth players are the best around at the moment.

BarstoolProphet

Also according to Ducker, Solskjaer wants British core to his side.

Makes sense, also going by targets mentioned it might be true. AWB, Sancho, CHO, Rice.
Previous years people would have (rightfully?) made fun of that strategy but now it seems like the most sensible strategy considering our history with top British talents and the fact that England are now the new Spain/Germany when it comes to producing talents.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Previous years people would have (rightfully?) made fun of that strategy but now it seems like the most sensible strategy considering our history with top British talents and the fact that England are now the new Spain/Germany when it comes to producing talents.
Yeah, England have some very good youngsters so it makes sense to have them in the team.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I love how excited caf gets at every transfer thread. Every guy putting in his transfer wishlist, the starting XI and what not.

If only we got this excited by coaching our players to achieve their potential...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't talk about every player either :rolleyes:

Players like Dele Alli and Joe Gomez, coming from the lower leagues, wouldn't think twice about leaving the likes of MK Dons or Charlton Athletic for a big six team, regardless of "career plan". And there are more than enough players like that in the lower leagues in Europe.
I don't know what you are doing here. I didn't say that you talked about every players which makes your first sentence weird and I didn't say that all players won't sign for clubs like Liverpool and United, I said that these type of players won't necessarily be interested which means that some will and others won't, and the ones that will won't necessarily be your targets and no there isn't enough of these players in lower leagues in Europe.

Infra-red

What's the point of making such briefings other than to appease the muppets
Season ticket renewals, appeases the sponsors, keeps "United set to miss out on top 4" and "is Ole the right man for the job" stories off the back pages for a bit.

Plus, Woodward just seems to like having a chat. Historically, that's been the case.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I will believe it when I see it.

I remember José publicly saying we needed 4-6 signings last summer after finishing 2nd in the league that season and he got back stabbed, even though they extended his contract prior which made no sense.

Because of the lack of backing then I could see it be a realistic possibility to overspend this time around. But it’s just hard to take it at face value. If it happens wonderful as the team needs a lot of fixing. I’ll just wait for the dominoes/hints to fall before getting my hopes up.

Infra-red

I'll believe it when I see it .
The vast majority of it isn't going to happen. We were reading briefings about Kroos and Reus and Bale and Fabregas almost from the minute Woodward got the job - "we can do things in the market that other clubs can only dream of." We ended up with Fellaini, signed after his release clause had expired, for more than his release clause.

It's mostly hot air.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
5 players to leave: Darmian, Rojo, Herrera, Bailly and Mata I'd say.

No point in selling some of our younger talent that haven't had a proper shot yet like Fosu-Mensah

Edit: Forgot Sanchez! I think he'll stay though as he's too expensive for other clubs. Ridiculous

Last edited:

deafepl

The vast majority of it isn't going to happen. We were reading briefings about Kroos and Reus and Bale and Fabregas almost from the minute Woodward got the job. We ended up with Fellaini, signed after his release clause had expired, for more than his release clause.

It's mostly hot air.
Kroos agreed to join us for to be vetoed by LVG next season, Fabregas wanted to fight for Barcelona spots but ended up moving to Chelsea next season, offered Spurs more money for Bale but Spurs sold Bale to Real Madrid and Bale choose them over us, not sure about Reus, Majority of this is true that we wanted to sign them.

Rice, WBA, and Sancho are likely to coming than Koke, Rodi, Varane or Koulibaly but hope we can convince one of them to join us.

Trizy

I see Declan Rice mentioned. What has he done to get the hype he's getting?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
5 players to leave: Darmian, Rojo, Herrera, Bailly and Mata I'd say.

No point in selling some of our younger talent that haven't had a proper shot yet like Fosu-Mensah
Valencia too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'll believe it when I see it .
Came to post the same. My anticipation for next season is at an all time low right now and note all those tipped to leave are the ones not playing at the moment anyway so we'll still be left with Smalling, Jones, Young etc etc

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Is it season ticket renewal time already?
I'm all for a young British/Irish core, always been a fan of that and now that England is producing talent again we should be in for them. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Zlatattack

I just don't rate him. He's an average winger and average striker. No matter what position you play him you'll lose quality in the XI. It's just lucky for him that we're terrible up front that he's getting chances. Very limited technically, kick and run and greedy.

He has a mean shot on him and his work rate is next to none but that's not enough for a team who dreams of challenging for titles. Just my opinion since you ask, though. :angel:
I think given another season leading the line he'll prove himself to be more than a better version of Welbeck.

I agree with the idea of getting CHO though. If we can get him on the cheap - he looks a great talent and we need competition for attacking places. Martial will look a lot less lethargic if he knows he's being pushed by someone who isn't Alexis Sanchez, Ashley Young of 3 or 4 years ago and Adreas Periera.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
5 sounds good. It's just about right for the first summer under new management too.

Fine with that but is Rice really technically good enough for the dominant team we want to become? If he isn't, Matic, McTom, and Rice being limited alongwith Fred being raw, may be an issue. I think we need a midfielder who is genuinely excellent on the ball.
To be honest we don't need our defensive midfielder to be a better passer than a Matic. We'd be better off having on with legs, yet superb both tactically and positioning wise. Our actual priority should be to get a superior playmaker to Pogba to support him in midfield. Preferably a two way type of the Benardo Silva or Modric ilk. To upgrade on the likely to depart Hererra

Judas

Open to offers
I've seen this sort of briefing too many times for it not to make me more worried than assured of what's to come. There's a chance we could go into next season with even lower expectations than the last, which would be tragic.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I love how excited caf gets at every transfer thread. Every guy putting in his transfer wishlist, the starting XI and what not.

If only we got this excited by coaching our players to achieve their potential...
It's not as if we are coaching the players. Weird thing for fans to be excited about. Plenty of people want youth to progress to the first team too.

deadrevelz

I hope we have a smaller squad next season, think it will help with coaching. We better not retain crap players just because they bulk out the squad. Skeleton crew this season, then we can add a couple more next summer.

If we sign 4 top class players: CB, DM, CM and RW
And promote: Henderson, Gomes, Laird, Garner, Chong and Greenwood.
We could lose: Valencia, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, TFM, Young, Mata, Pereira, Romero and Sanchez with no issues.

If we lose Herrera, Pogba or De Gea we would have to sign a suitable replacement for each.

Sadly I don't see them all being moved on. We'll likely be stuck with Young, Pereira, Romero and either Bailly, Rojo or TFM at least. But I can dream...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see no reason why we can't get 5 this summer. Last year we only didn't spend because of the doubts/disagreements with Jose on players.

Darmian/Rojo/Valencia are leaving, so we definitely need 1 fullback.

We desperately need a right winger with pace who can take a man on 1v1. Sancho/CHO/Zaha etc..

If Herrera leaves then we need another CM. Mctominay is showing he's up for it but leaving Pogba/Matic/Fred/Pereira/Mctominay as our midfield isn't great.

I'd love a class CB like Koulibaly or De Ligt, think Koulibaly is realistic but whether we are able to get a good deal out of Napoli is another thing.

I'd say our main issue is the right side, RW and RB are a must this summer. CB/CM would be nice but not imperative.

deadrevelz

To be honest we don't need our defensive midfielder to be a better passer than a Matic. We'd be better off having on with legs, yet superb both tactically and positioning wise. Our actual priority should be to get a superior playmaker to Pogba to support him in midfield. Preferably a two way type of the Benardo Silva or Modric ilk. To upgrade on the likely to depart Hererra
Agree with this. I think people are nostalgic for Carrick, to the point he is being overrated on here. Would rather have someone with energy who can tackle. Pogba and the new CM can do most of the passing.

Cloud7

I like this news a lot. It makes so much sense that I almost feel nervous reading it, wondering if it can actually come to fruition.

If we were to get the core of an exciting, young team going, that would be amazing. There’s nothing better than watching a team mature, like we watched the Rooney and Ronaldo team mature.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Those targets tbf are exactly the top 6/7 that we should be aiming for (if you include Saul as well), so getting 1 per position or at least getting the RW, CM and CB would be a great summer still.

Departures are long over due. Can add to that list anyway.
Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Herrera, Mata, Sanchez.. I'd only keep Herrera from that lot but even then itd just be short term. In the next year and a bit we can definitely add these to that list IMO:
  • Pereira
  • Matic
  • Jones
  • Young
  • Fred (if he doesnt improve considerably)
  • Possibly pogba/de gea if they want out

vangagal

Replace Ole with Jose and thats what last summer transfer talk too. Still reserved my hope untill its done otherise its just a brief from Woody as always when bad results come

IRELANDUNITED

Does anybody watch West Ham? I must confess I don't so I've no real idea how good Rice is?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Does anybody watch West Ham? I must confess I don't so I've no real idea how good Rice is?
He's good enough. Efficient on the ball, tidy in tight spaces and solid defensively. Not as gifted as Carrick in terms of passing range, but IMO more press-resistant and therefore a better fit for the modern team.

Rayburns

I believe the directive will be around younger home grown talents. England are playing so well at the moment, and it would be rude not to pair Wan Bissaka and Sancho for club and country. Rice looks like a suitable Irish destroyer in the middle of the park. Throw in Maguire, and we have a dream window and a new core.

Canagel

Agree with this. I think people are nostalgic for Carrick, to the point he is being overrated on here. Would rather have someone with energy who can tackle. Pogba and the new CM can do most of the passing.
There seems to be an infatuation with a passing DM like its only way we can improve the midfield .Verratti is the only WC one of this profile but simply unrealistic. dendoncker played well against us and could've been bought by us . Torreira also would have been a good buy last year but we got another chance this year. Away with Matic and his lack of mobility. Midfields with half the talents of ours like Watford outbatlle in CM because of a massive hole in our central forcing PP to be less effective at AM. Range of passing is merely a bonus at DM. The basics are positioning, tracking runners, making the simple moves ie no more than 2 touchs to release the ball.. and so on.

Last edited:

Jezpeza

I dont mind a good clear out. Grant, Valencia Young Rojo Jones Darmian Sanchez could all be got rid of without even blinking. Then theres people like Wilson out on loan who are just never going to get near it. Mata and Herrera might be bigger misses but if they want crazy money going into the area of their careers where they start to fade they should go.

Wan Bissaka, Rice, both have had good seasons and looked good players for poorer clubs which is always a good indicator of a player who can step up rather than one who is a passenger im a team. I’d also like to see us go for Sessegnon as Fulham will cash in and he could cover both left sided positions. Sancho is the player I want to see in a Utd shirt the most of all linked and then perhaps a big defender like Skriniar. I think that would see us in good shape for years ahead and be a solid foundation stone in the rebuild. A bonus could be to steal Rabiot on top as well if we end up short handed in midfield

Jezpeza

There seems to be an infatuation with a passing DM like its only way we can improve the midfield .Verratti is the only WC one of this profile but simply unrealistic. dendoncker played well against us and could've been bought by us . Torreira also would have been a good buy last year but we got another chance this year. Away with Matic and his lack of mobility. Midfields with half the talents of ours like Watford outbatlle in CM because of a massive hole in our central forcing PP to be less effective at AM. Range of passing is merely a bonus at DM. The basics are positioning, tracking runners, making the simple moves ie no more than 2 touchs to release the ball.. and so on.
I agree. May as well stick a wheelie bin on the edge of the D isntead of Matic, hes that easy to go around. I get anxiety every time an opposition player closes him down as he takes 13 touches to control and release a ten yard ground pass thaty was played to him

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
If I was United I'd pay De Gea whatever he wants to get him to stay and I'd give Pogba whatever he wants to end any links currently there for Real.

In terms of players out, there are so many that could go. Valencia, Fosu-Mensah, Darmian, Rojo, Bailey even from the back line. Then Herrera, Mata, Pereira and Sanchez from the rest of the squad.

You can't afford to sell or lose all of those because you need a squad of at least 23 players to be competitive.

Solksjaer has a massive job on his hands and will need probably two summers to rectify the squad. If he can get top four this year & again next season while removing deadwood and building up the squad that would be a massive success imo. I don't think any other manager would do much more.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I hope we have a smaller squad next season, think it will help with coaching. We better not retain crap players just because they bulk out the squad. Skeleton crew this season, then we can add a couple more next summer.

If we sign 4 top class players: CB, DM, CM and RW
And promote: Henderson, Gomes, Laird, Garner, Chong and Greenwood.
We could lose: Valencia, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, TFM, Young, Mata, Pereira, Romero and Sanchez with no issues.

If we lose Herrera, Pogba or De Gea we would have to sign a suitable replacement for each.

Sadly I don't see them all being moved on. We'll likely be stuck with Young, Pereira, Romero and either Bailly, Rojo or TFM at least. But I can dream...
I'd like a smaller squad too, this is what I thought Jose would do he loves a smaller squad. We have quite a bloat full of average we need to lose the fat.

Aloysius's Back 3

On top of the players he buys - I can't wait for the pre season games where he brings Greenwood garner & Gomes up.

As young as they are; we need more technique in our play & they are able to do that.