Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

crossy1686

career ending
Sessegnon really isn’t all that
Rather go for AWB, Meunier, Tierney
I agree, he's not been great but neither have Fulham. Would like to see him take a step up to someone like Everton before we take the gamble on him.

AWB is the one for me. Young, exciting, solid defender and won't leave us in 3 seasons time for Madrid unless we're dog shit and relegated.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Mirror has this story:
  • Manchester United are seriously considering a move for Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak and are prepared to trigger his £103m release clause.
How the hell could he cost more than DDG? No PL experience and dumped by Real

Nickelodeon

We care about Liverpool now?
Not scouting the player who would become the best LB in the league with record breaking number of assists for the paltry price of 8 million just because he was part of a team which was relegated.

Sounds reasonable. Let's avoid such a good value for future transfers as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In:

Bruno (40m)
Alderwierald (25m)
Munier (30m)
Felix (70m)
Sancho/Lozano (100/50m)
Koulibali (75m)
Rabiot (free)
Tierney (30m)
Herrera (improved contract, it would feel a new signing)
Neves (70m)

Out
Darmien (£0)
Mata (0)
Matic (15m)
Lukaku (75m)
Pogba (150m)
Sanchez (0)

Net spend of around 200m or less.

I know it's FM style but I love the anarchy right now :cool:

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
  • Manchester United are seriously considering a move for Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak and are prepared to trigger his £103m release clause.
He and the guy at Barca are probably the current 1 2 in goalkeeping in the world.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Not scouting the player who would become the best LB in the league with record breaking number of assists for the paltry price of 8 million just because he was part of a team which was relegated.

Sounds reasonable. Let's avoid such a good value for future transfers as well.
If we're engaging in whataboutery, then adding more deadwood to the squad that will be hard to shift because we'll no doubt pay him ridiculous wages is a great idea. Let's do it every window.

Nickelodeon

If we're engaging in whataboutery, then adding more deadwood to the squad that will be hard to shift because we'll no doubt pay him ridiculous wages is a great idea. Let's do it every window.
The thought process is to sign a player based on quality and merit. Rejecting a potential quality player because of their presence in a relegation team doesn't sit well with me. And to clarify, I'm not advocating signing Sessegnon. It's the concept of rejecting players on the notion of their team is something which is blatantly incorrect. In an ideal world, our scouting system would be sophisticated enough to factor in the quality of the team, league and then the players individual performance to ascertain whether they are United quality or not.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The thought process is to sign a player based on quality and merit. Rejecting a potential quality player because of their presence in a relegation team doesn't sit well with me. And to clarify, I'm not advocating signing Sessegnon. It's the concept of rejecting players on the notion of their team is something which is blatantly incorrect. In an ideal world, our scouting system would be sophisticated enough to factor in the quality of the team, league and then the players individual performance to ascertain whether they are United quality or not.
Fair enough, and generally I would agree it's just that Sessegnon hasn't stood out much this year and a quality player should be able to do that, even in a relegation season. From my perspective a player from a relegated team needs to shoot fireworks from his arse for a good chunk of the season to be worth the risk.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Not too many on here knew who Jason Sancho was a year ago. Not too many knew who Hudson-Odoi was a few months ago. Bergwijn has the attributes of pace and dribbling that Memphis never had which could suggest there's a rough diamond there for the wing. Very affordable transfer also. He might be nowhere near ready for top 4 PL level but if Ole couldn't get Sancho then Bergwijn absolutely might be worth a punt to develop.
I still don't.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In:

Bruno (40m)
Alderwierald (25m)
Munier (30m)
Felix (70m)
Sancho/Lozano (100/50m)
Koulibali (75m)
Rabiot (free)
Tierney (30m)
Neves (70m)

Out
Darmien (£0)
Mata (0)
Matic (15m)
Lukaku (75m)
Pogba (150m)
Sanchez (0)

Out of all the nuts suggestions I like this one the best. Though I wouldn’t be as adverse to keeping Pogba as you are.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Out of all the nuts suggestions I like this one the best. Though I wouldn’t be as adverse to keeping Pogba as you are.
Yeah, I am certainly in the minority.

He helped me keep the spend to around 200m though :wenger:

Totally forgot to include Cavani as a transfer in too. Think he's get able and probably cheap. Would be a much better target man than Lukaku with Felix as a false 9 option.

Nick.

Sell:

Pogba
Lukaku
Darmian
Rojo
Jones

Buy:

Fernandes
Rice
Tielemans/De Beek
Alderweireld
Meunier
Nicolas Pepe

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pro tip : if you plan to sell deadwood. Dont let them know. Be swift and decisive when the time comes, let them feel wanted for the time being. Saf is the master of that. He's ruthless and sly as a fox you never knew what hit you.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
In:

Bruno (40m)
Alderwierald (25m)
Munier (30m)
Felix (70m)
Sancho/Lozano (100/50m)
Koulibali (75m)
Rabiot (free)
Tierney (30m)
Neves (70m)

Out
Darmien (£0)
Mata (0)
Matic (15m)
Lukaku (75m)
Pogba (150m)
Sanchez (0)

Sell:

Pogba
Lukaku
Darmian
Rojo
Jones

Buy:

Fernandes
Rice
Tielemans/De Beek
Alderweireld
Meunier
Nicolas Pepe
@Fridge chutney can you sort these prices out please mate? These are delusional.

IrishRedDevil

Latest from James Ducker, Telegraph:

‘Solskjaer wants a right back, two midfielders and a right-sided forward this summer, but may face a wait for another centre-half.‘

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Latest from James Ducker, Telegraph:

‘Solskjaer wants a right back, two midfielders and a right-sided forward this summer, but may face a wait for another centre-half.‘
I’d be amazed if we’d rather wait 12 months than just sign one of the other centre backs on our shortlist. It’s not like we have amazing options and only a select few would improve us, we’re trying to upgrade on the chuckle brothers ffs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sorting out midfield is probably much harder but way more important right now IMO. Centerback an issue but theres not loads of options. De ligt, skriniar, koulobaly of possible are perfect but like 100m each. Alderweireld if possible can be cheap. If not them, then probably will be a risk signing. Maybe we give Tuanzebe a chance. Right wing, CM (2) and a right back are vital though. CB also vital but 5 signings seems unlikely.

bosnian_red

I’d be amazed if we’d rather wait 12 months than just sign one of the other centre backs on our shortlist. It’s not like we have amazing options and only a select few would improve us, we’re trying to upgrade on the chuckle brothers ffs.
Maybe planning to give Tuanzebe a chance. Lindelof and Tuanzebe would at least be good on the ball, but a big risk in terms of actual defending.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Maybe planning to give Tuanzebe a chance. Lindelof and Tuanzebe would at least be good on the ball, but a big risk in terms of actual defending.
Decent shout actually, I’d really like it if Ole gave the youth a chance. I think it’s very risky to promote Tuanzebe and just not buy a centre half at all though.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
All for integrating Axel next season.

I don't see how we can't be in for Alderweireld at £25m though

bosnian_red

Decent shout actually, I’d really like it if Ole gave the youth a chance.
All the talks seem to point towards him wanting to do that, especially with Tuanzebe and Greenwood I think. Greenwood to take on a squad role maybe? Either way, even if youngsters develop, a RW is still needed, midfield still needs a big revamp and at right back we only have a 20 year old right back and Young so we need a bit more. Cb at least has options, though average at best.

Dan_F

Dumped by Real?

All the talks seem to point towards him wanting to do that, especially with Tuanzebe and Greenwood I think. Greenwood to take on a squad role maybe? Either way, even if youngsters develop, a RW is still needed, midfield still needs a big revamp and at right back we only have a 20 year old right back and Young so we need a bit more. Cb at least has options, though average at best.
All the real World evidence shows something different, aside from a bit of a PR exercise during his first games in charge, Ole seems as reluctant to give youth a chance as Mourinho.

bosnian_red

All the real World evidence shows something different, aside from a bit of a PR exercise during his first games in charge, Ole seems as reluctant to give youth a chance as Mourinho.
:houllier:
Yeah having Greenwood and Chong come on away to PSG was a PR exercise. Hes given multiple youngsters multiple chances and theyve all been included. To claim otherwise is beyond ridiculous and flat out wrong.

dove

Yeah having Greenwood and Chong come on away to PSG was a PR exercise. Hes given multiple youngsters multiple chances and theyve all been included. To claim otherwise is beyond ridiculous and flat out wrong.
Is it though? PSG was an exception as we were quite literally missing half of the first team. Apart from McTominay who also played quite a bit under Jose, I don't think we saw anyone else.

How many minutes in total has he given to Chong, Greenwood et al?

PSG away he had no options but the young lads in fairness as his team was completely depleted, and he had nothing to lose.

Where were these lads vs, Chelsea, City, Wolves, Everton etc?

bosnian_red

How many minutes in total has he given to Chong, Greenwood et al?

PSG away he had no options but the young lads in fairness and nothing to lose.
There are always options if you choose to ignore youth. Nothing to lose isnt an excuse as plenty of managers like Mourinho dont use them even still. How many minutes has he given? Not sure but he's brought Garner, Chong, Greenwood all in on various games and at important moments too, not just pointless minutes. Not sure how anyone could expect much more given our opponents. You don't just start them away to City or something like that when you have martial/lukaku/rashford/etc to choose from.

Is it though? PSG was an exception as we were quite literally missing half of the first team. Apart from McTominay who also played quite a bit under Jose, I don't think we saw anyone else.
PSG was absolutely an exception.

Ole is certainly saying all the right things about the youth but to apply a :houllier: smilie to my post and claim my post was flat out wrong and ridiculous because “we used some young lads when half the squad was missing one game”, is well, flat out wrong and ridiculous.

There are always options if you choose to ignore youth. Nothing to lose isnt an excuse as plenty of managers like Mourinho dont use them even still. How many minutes has he given? Not sure but he's brought Garner, Chong, Greenwood all in on various games and at important moments too, not just pointless minutes. Not sure how anyone could expect much more given our opponents. You don't just start them away to City or something like that when you have martial/lukaku/rashford/etc to choose from.
Mason has 2 sub appearances in the Prem, 25 mins in total.

Chong has like 1 Premier League minute.

Angel Gomes has 1 sub app and 9 minutes in total.

Who else then @bosnian_red if I’m ridiculous and flat out wrong? :angel:

bosnian_red

Both Greenwood and Chong made 3 appearances, Garner and Gomes 1 each. Hes given chances to Pereira and McTominay (who are players who also needed some chances). Ole's dealt with youth players well IMO, given his situation and our fixtures. Wouldnt be surprised if in the last 2 he plays them a bit more. They are all too young for massive roles anyway, but they get chances and are involved and that's all you can ask for.

Both Greenwood and Chong made 3 appearances, Garner and Gomes 1 each. Hes given chances to Pereira and McTominay (who are players who also needed some chances). Ole's dealt with oo young for massive roles anyway, but they get chances and are involved and that's all you can ask for.
You know you’re wrong when you trying to bring McT & Pereira into it, 2 of the senior squad.

bosnian_red

Mason has 2 sub appearances in the Prem, 25 mins in total.

Chong has like 1 Premier League minute.

Who else then @bosnian_red if I’m ridiculous and flat out wrong? :angel:
Greenwood and Chong have 3 appearances, Gomes and Garner 1 each in half a season where we've mostly played big games of late. I'd say that's as good as you can expect given we have first team players, the young players arent ready to flat out start ahead of the first teamers but he gives a few chances here and there to get minutes. Greenwood for example has also had a few niggles which has restricted Ole from picking him more. But regardless, there are games you give youth players chances in, and there are those you dont. Especially those that arent anywhere close to being ready physically.

If theres one thing you cant criticize Ole for, its giving everyone some chances. Hes been here for half a season, expecting all the young players to start every game is ridiculous imo.