Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

USREDEVIL

My favourite piece from that reddit ITK:

"Ole apparently fecking loves Marcos Rojo and see's him as a potential DM conversion" :lol:
That was a head scratcher, but who knows what happens behind closed doors. The rest is very believable to me. And if all true, very reassuring except for the part about not looking for a striker, but I'm sure they want to make Rashford a proper striker. I'd love to see the initial long list of players he wants out (if true)! Hope it's true that Declan Rice isn't being looked at. We need to push for better.

Teja

That seems pretty legit - while some of it may be rehashing rumors from the press, there's some genuinely new stuff in there about Nicky Butt, Pogba's loyalty bonus etc. that lend some credence. It does look like they have their shit together, so I'll be optimistic if they we can get four of our first choice targets (AWB, Sancho, Koulibaly and a CM).

The bit about Rojo at DM is interesting too, deserves a shot under Ole if we can get him fit for the season.

USREDEVIL

That seems pretty legit - while some of it may be rehashing rumors from the press, there's some genuinely new stuff in there about Nicky Butt, Pogba's loyalty bonus etc. that lend some credence. It does look like they have their shit together, so I'll be optimistic if they we can get four of our first choice targets (AWB, Sancho, Koulibaly and a CM).

The bit about Rojo at DM is interesting too, deserves a shot under Ole if we can get him fit for the season.
I've always rated Rojo but as people notice, he can be a bit mad sometimes with his tackles. But unlike Jones, he's not easily ran past with one single turn. Now as far as a DM...not sure if he's good enough on the ball for that.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Rojo is a hard worker and decent passer, get rid of the reckless tackles, and i don't mind him staying. The way he's played the last couple years, he should've seen red in pretty much ever match he's played.

The rest is pretty much what the rest of us are saying, get rid of the worst players, but doing it all in one window is crazy. Ole is a fan like us, so not really surprised he's seeing the same things we do.

deafepl

To be honest, Bailly and Rojo is the best CB partnership in the post SAF, we looked more composed at back with them lending the line, many attacking players in the league is scared of Bailly and Rojo, they are the ultimate hunter and aggressive. After Bailly and Rojo's injury happened, we lost defence and allowed 40% shot on targets in 2017-18 than in 2016-17, Rojo and Bailly haven't gotten back to their pre-form after injury and is on low confidence.

USREDEVIL

To be honest, Bailly and Rojo is the best CB partnership in the post SAF, we looked more composed at back with them lending the line, many attacking players in the league is scared of Bailly and Rojo, they are the ultimate hunter and aggressive. After Bailly and Rojo's injury happened, we lost defence and allowed 40% shot on targets in 2017-18 than in 2016-17, Rojo and Bailly haven't gotten back to their pre-form after injury and is on low confidence.
I felt the same until I saw how often Bailly gets injured. He's another Jones. He's one of those players you keep saying "if he stays healthy" but never does, making him a waste of space in the long run as he doesn't end up playing enough.

Last edited:

deafepl

I felt the same until I saw how often he gets injured. He's another Jones. He's one of those players you keep saying "if he stays healthy" but never does, making him a waste of space in the long run as he doesn't end up playing enough.
I really get sad about Bailly having a poor season, he was great CB for us, one of best top 5 CB in the league as well as one of best signing in 2016/17 for us, he was a fecking monster at that time. Bailly needs to change his style if he wants to stay free injury.

Fahad Jawaid

In my view the perfect summer would be acquiring Koulibally, Cancelo, Dybala, Sancho and Bruno Fernandes. This will probably result in us spending close to 350m approx.

However, we will probably recoup close to 100m this summer so inorder to bridge the gap an outlay of this sort is needed.

Ins (350m)
Koulibally/De Ligt 80m
Sancho 100m
Fernandes 50m
Cancelo 40m
Dybala 80m

Out (100m)
Sanchez free
Mata free
Herrera free
Bailly 20m
Rojo 5m
Jones 10m
Darmian 5m
Lukaku 50m
Perriera 10m

This will result in our side being totally transformed and we would be top 3 easily in terms of squad. I mean this side does look business.

DDG
Cancelo Koulibally Lindelof Shaw
Bruno Matic/Fred/Mctominay Pogba
Sancho Dybala Martial

haram

Only thing I like about that reddit post is that Butt is heavily involved.

Teja

I've always rated Rojo but as people notice, he can be a bit mad sometimes with his tackles. But unlike Jones, he's not easily ran past with one single turn. Now as far as a DM...not sure if he's good enough on the ball for that.
He's not really Smalling level terrible in possession either, so if we play two attacking fullbacks it might not be the worst thing in the world to have Rojo + 2 CBs stay back and cover.

The Nani

Interesting reddit post from a verified ITK:
So James is our backup plan for Sancho, we have a deal for Meunier but have told him to sit on it, Alderweireld has priced us out at £25m while we chase KK but might bring in an older CB on loan, Bruno plays for Benfica and we’re not interested in Rice because Rojo is the answer at CDM.

What a bunch of BS.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Bailly and Rojo as a centre back pairing in the first season of VAR. Perish the thought.

I do remember that period though. They were solid for a while. And there was another good pairing under Mourinho, Jones and Rojo. All three of them are injury prone. Two of them are absolutely reckless.

If that post is true, Ole probably loves Rojo because he's completely committed and an absolute nutter.

SqueakyWeasel

So James is our backup plan for Sancho, we have a deal for Meunier but have told him to sit on it, Alderweireld has priced us out at £25m while we chase KK but might bring in an older CB on loan, Bruno plays for Benfica and we’re not interested in Rice because Rojo is the answer at CDM.

What a bunch of BS.
I understood that:
  • They are not sure who the RW back-up is yet and the James deal (although more or less done) cannot be counted here as he is not seen as an "immediate" replacement
  • The Meunier back-up option being already tied up is standard (and good) practice in case the main target falls through
  • The Alderweireld reservation is based on his excessive wage-demands not his purchase price
  • The remaining things on your list depend heavily on what decision Pogba makes. Getting or converting a few decent "utility" players is something we are crying out for (although Rojo is admittedly a strange one if you ask me and highlights the futility of letting Blind go).
I know there are those on here that will always find negatives in anything but I personally found it refreshing to read something with a plan and a bit of direction. There are no quick-fixes to be had at the levels to which we have sunk, but after the awful end to that awful season it's nice to see that there might be a glimmer of hope on the horizon.

BlueHaze

I understood that:
  • They are not sure who the RW back-up is yet and the James deal (although more or less done) cannot be counted here as he is not seen as an "immediate" replacement
  • The Meunier back-up option being already tied up is standard (and good) practice in case the main target falls through
  • The Alderweireld reservation is based on his excessive wage-demands not his purchase price
  • The remaining things on your list depend heavily on what decision Pogba makes. Getting or converting a few decent "utility" players is something we are crying out for (although Rojo is admittedly a strange one if you ask me and highlights the futility of letting Blind go).
I know there are those on here that will always find negatives in anything but I personally found it refreshing to read something with a plan and a bit of direction. There are no quick-fixes to be had at the levels to which we have sunk, but after the awful end to that awful season it's nice to see that there might be a glimmer of hope on the horizon.
But who the feck is the person who wrote all that?

The Nani

I understood that:
I’m actually quite optimistic. But that just sounds like a bunch of made up nonsense from an attention-seeker with a lot of detail written in to make it sound credible. Much of it is contrary to some of the more realible journalist reports as well.

It’s also very unrealistic to think someone trusted to sit in on board meetings is coming straight out with it on Reddit.

BlueHaze

Apparently if they told us they'd have to kill us :lol:
I think all of these "reddit leakers" are full of shit. Remember that clown last summer who said we were going to sign Griezmann? They are clowns living in a fantasy world looking for attention and upvotes on reddit.

gr3yham3

I think all of these "reddit leakers" are full of shit. Remember that clown last summer who said we were going to sign Griezmann? They are clowns living in a fantasy world looking for attention and upvotes on reddit.
But they are pretty stringent with their Tier reliability ratings though. The person who talked about Griezmann last season has been banned from the reddit i think.

deafepl

From the ITK post, I'm a little worried that we plan to hold on to Lukaku and Rashford as our main strikers going in to the next season.
I think the board sees next season as a transition. I think we'll buy ST in 2020 winter or summer if Rashford or Lukaku is not up to expectations. Martial will be given a chance next season. Let's build our defense first and midfield then we can focus on getting the best ST in the world.

Assume the board wants to bring in RW, CB, RB, and CM, possibly another 5th signing if anyone leaves, like Herrera (confirmed). If Lukaku and Martial are not up to expectation next season, they'll be sold to fund part of our budget on superstars attacker signing, possibly another DCM/CM or GK if De Gea left for free. After that, there's not many signing we need, maybe for depth, that's it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

What a bunch of BS.
The bit i don't like is five signings is the max and the fifth is only if we lose a star or ship loads out.

So it's not like there's a numbers plan then. And it sounds like a cover all eventualities job from this "itk"

Revaulx

Probably all bollocks, but at least it looks like there’s a plan, and it’s not just being left to Ed and the manager.

Maybe there is actually some longish term thinking going on, so that if Ole is sacked come Christmas (which, let’s face it, looks not unlikely) the players brought in during his reign will continue to be in the plans of his successor. Let’s hope so, anyway.

Andersonson

Rojo as DM... Now I've heard it all.

I've read People saying Bailly should be converted to be a DM, I've read LFC fans saying the same about Daniel Agger also.

Theese People dont have a Clue about football

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Interesting reddit post from a verified ITK:
What a load of nonsense. So all our top guys got together for an imaginary meeting and the agenda seemed to be to discuss any high profile rumours in the recent press with no mention of any other players, even bringing Fletcher in for a presumably unpaid 'guest role'.

My sources say Rio was on standby to join in by phone if anyone dropped out.

crossy1686

career ending
What a load of nonsense. So all our top guys got together for an imaginary meeting and the agenda seemed to be to discuss any high profile rumours in the recent press with no mention of any other players, even bringing Fletcher in for a presumably unpaid 'guest role'.

My sources say Rio was on standby to join in by phone if anyone dropped out.
:lol: People in here are desperate not to believe anyone who claims to be ITK.

The guy has nailed everything since last year and he's proved to the mods on the subreddit that he has a credible source. Don't understand all the anger aimed at him for sharing information he's privy to.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Rojo is a hard worker and decent passer, get rid of the reckless tackles, and i don't mind him staying. The way he's played the last couple years, he should've seen red in pretty much ever match he's played.

The rest is pretty much what the rest of us are saying, get rid of the worst players, but doing it all in one window is crazy. Ole is a fan like us, so not really surprised he's seeing the same things we do.
My biggest concern about him is not how reckless he is, but how incredibly injury prone he is.

crossy1686

career ending
Rojo would be a terrible DM.
I think people love to create definite's over a misunderstanding, especially on the internet. Everyone in the world know's Rojo isn't the DM answer we need at the club long term, but if Ole can't get rid of his huge list of players in one season, it would make sense to have Rojo play in Matic's position next season so we literally don't have to play Matic anymore. I'm sure there would be a replacement the following summer, of course that is if Rojo doesn't end up being brilliant.

I honestly wouldn't mind giving him a go next season seeing as we can't replace the whole team. Rojo seems to be one of the one's that actually cares about the club. We all remember his training strike when Sporting rejected a bid.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rojo is a terrible player. Nice tattoos though

SirAF

Ageist
I think people love to create definite's over a misunderstanding, especially on the internet. Everyone in the world know's Rojo isn't the DM answer we need at the club long term, but if Ole can't get rid of his huge list of players in one season, it would make sense to have Rojo play in Matic's position next season so we literally don't have to play Matic anymore. I'm sure there would be a replacement the following summer, of course that is if Rojo doesn't end up being brilliant.

I honestly wouldn't mind giving him a go next season seeing as we can't replace the whole team. Rojo seems to be one of the one's that actually cares about the club. We all remember his training strike when Sporting rejected a bid.

I’m fairly sure that was more about his own ambitions rather than United though.