Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

Smores

Yes, Sancho simply has to happen next season.

Of course we need to finish top 4 in the meantime.
You do realise Sancho has a say in this? People have convinced themselves he's coming based of very little.

MDFC Manager

We are smashing our transfer record to get him. 120 million i feel. Unless he has a poor season.
Yup, would be money well spent :drool:

You do realise Sancho has a say in this? People have convinced themselves he's coming based of very little.
No I'm under no illusions. We certainly need to show big progress this season as part of trying to convince him (or any other such profiled target) to join us. Apart from coughing up the required monies of course.

Untd55

We are not in a position to wait on players, to be honest. People are talking about Sancho, but we have to at least get Champions League this season (I don't think we will based on our transfers) and even then he will have a host of clubs after him, if he repeats last season's form. It is far from guaranteed, so we might end up with no right winger again.

We needed a right winger this season because our attack is far from good enough. It is lop-sided: we only attack from the left or the middle, which makes us easy to defend against. I don't see how we are going to play attractive/effective football when we are effectively playing a 4-3-3 with nobody on the right. Lingard and Mata constantly go into the middle, so most of the time our formation ends up like this:

Martial --------- Rashford ----------- Huge Gap
Lingard/Mata

Pogba Mctominay

Matic
We are going to regret not buying someone for the right wing this year. It also affects our counter attacks, since they only usually have to deal with Martial and Rashford so it is constantly two defenders against one attacker. With a right winger there would be three attackers, so that situation should not happen.

It was a critical position to sign a player. Annoying that a team who scored the third highest amount of goals last season (Arsenal) ended up signing another goal scorer for the right wing (Pepe), but we did nothing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
In terms of selling I think obviously we're trying to get players in before the deadline but then we've got three weeks to focus purely on selling the dead wood.

Fer

It seems that Ole wants one more signing, he is looking a CAM.

There are threads about who is better between Eriksen, Fernandes, Dybala.

The question is... Who has more probabilities to sign for us?

Ralph1386

It seems that Ole wants one more signing, he is looking a CAM.

There are threads about who is better between Eriksen, Fernandes, Dybala.

The question is... Who has more probabilities to sign for us?
I would say Eriksen since we gave up on Dybala, and we could have already gotten Fernandes if we wanted to.

UpWithRivers

How hard is it? Get 1 of Dybala, Lo Celso, Fernandes, Eriksen, Partey, Longstaff, Savic - Heck go for Dacoure, - Lots of options still out there. Get one.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

I forgot the deadline only really affects incoming players. So like others have mentioned, there is still plenty of time to trim the squad after this weekend!

Art

Art the artist
To think we could lineup like this next week :

----Martial----------------Rashford----
--------------Dybala--------------------
---------------------Eriksen-------------
--------Pogba-------McT----------------

:drool:

DickDastardly

I'd love this transfer window if we could steal Eriksen!

It's just like the gaffer used to do stuff.

Strenghten your team and at the same time weaken your opponents.

Getting AWB, Maguire, and hopefully Eriksen - that would be fecking great. Weaken Crystal Palace, LCFC, and Tottenham all in one window plus strenghtening our biggest weak spots in the team, genius!

Like the days of prying Cole's, Yorke's, Rooney's, Ferdinand's....

Good stuff.

paulblart

Very good window? That's a bit of a stretch. If we get another very good signing in then maybe. We finished 6th last season in an absolute disaster of a season, we've lost 2 midfield options which have yet to be replaced (including our second best and arguably most consistent CM), and we've made only 3 signings, one of which seems very raw and is likely going to need quite a bit of time before being able to make a significant impact. And all of our underperforming players are still here.

I'm happy with the signings that we have made but we needed more, and I expected more. I'm praying that the fitness work and tactical changes we've made over the summer will pay off handsomely, as well as our youngsters being able to step up and make a difference. Because if not next season is going to be another very long one.

That said I'm happy that we don't seem to be panic-buying at least.

Alemar

Guys, what is going on?
Currently, there are simultaneous rumors about us bidding for:
  • Bruno Fernandes;
  • Dybala (swap);
  • Eriksen
  • Dembele (from Barca, not a shitty Lyon one)
How many can we theoretically accommodate?

oreon

Guys, what is going on?
Currently, there are simultaneous rumors about us bidding for:
  • Bruno Fernandes;
  • Dybala (swap);
  • Eriksen
  • Dembele (from Barca, not a shitty Lyon one)
How many can we theoretically accommodate?
Dybala: Deal dead by some reports
Bruno: Looks like we were never in for him
Eriksen: Has some legs. But with so little time left there is a good chance it wont go through especially when you are negotiating with Levy
Dembele: I don't trust this. Likely made up. None of the credible journalists have mentioned it as a possibility

Ballist1x

I dont understand why we dont transfer list players.

Drop them from the squad and make their agents get them a move.

Its clear that Jones, Darmian, Rojo have nothing to offer us medium to long term and are just eating up wages while their value falls.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I cannot believe we've lost two midfielders in Herrera and Fellaini and we aren't looking to replace either of them, despite Solskjaer saying Ander would need to replaced.

The club seem to have briefed we aren't in for Bruno and Longstaff is too pricey... so that's it? We just start the season with Pogba, McTominay, Fred and a washed up Matic?

The Bloody-Nine

I dont understand why we dont transfer list players.

Drop them from the squad and make their agents get them a move.

Its clear that Jones, Darmian, Rojo have nothing to offer us medium to long term and are just eating up wages while their value falls.
We can't make other teams buy them, unfortunately.

Cathy Ferguson

I cannot believe we've lost two midfielders in Herrera and Fellaini and we aren't looking to replace either of them, despite Solskjaer saying Ander would need to replaced.

The club seem to have briefed we aren't in for Bruno and Longstaff is too pricey... so that's it? We just start the season with Pogba, McTominay, Fred and a washed up Matic?
I remember that Ole said that Herrera and Fellaini would be replaced by Periera, Fred and McTominay, which would be ok if we signed a top class DM. Rodri was available for instance. Now we are overly dependent on Pogba who seems half arsed, and God knows who will play DM.

Superunknown

What I don't really understand is that we've offloaded two players in Herrera and Fellaini, yet have kept others who arguably bring less to the table. At least Herrera and Fellaini had something to offer and were different options. To a certain extent, even Lukaku has something to offer, putting aside his recent goings on. (he may be limited, but 27 and 15 goals in two seasons at the club is still something)

Are those three players really the first three that come to mind when we're looking to revamp the squad? If they're surplus to requirements, then fine. But where are the replacements? There are other players that definitely need moving on, so how come they're not being linked to other clubs?

Imo, as a club, we are not very good at moving certain players on and allow some to just linger for far too long. I'm amazed that Rojo and Jones are still here.

Zed 101

Eriksen - Not happening
Dybala - Not happening
Longstaff - Not happening
SMS - Not happening
Fernandes - Not happening

Disappointment - happening

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Eriksen - not happening
Dybala - Not happening
SMS - Not happening

You shut that whore mouth of yours right now.

Fooza

Eriksen - Not happening
Dybala - Not happening
SMS - Not happening

Must admit a week ago I thought we were making a real statement of intent with dybala, Fernandez and selling on lukaku and maybe getting Mandzukic.

Oh boy was all that a waste of time and we are getting nothing.

Havak

Pokemon master
It is going to be incredibly disappointing if we don't bring another player in and still sell Lukaku & Darmian. I'd imagine most people want them out anyway, but they'd fetch in excess of the £80m we just spent on Maguire. Net spend of £60m~ when we really need to push on? Not sure how I feel about that, there has to be a £50m+ midfield/attacking signing IMO.

Rob Bowman

My frustration is the club itself set the expectations... 5 in 6 out, and we needed at least one if not two CMs.

Now look at us...

With this type of intent it will be a long time if ever that we contend in Europe again.

ForestRGoinUp

guess we’ll just have to see if Ole can coach or not. Lesser squads have achieved top 4 (and more), and if it’s clear he can coach then missing top 4 shouldn’t be the end of him. Hopefully the coddling of him and excuses will stop now.

Terminator

My frustration is the club itself set the expectations... 5 in 6 out, and we needed at least one if not two CMs.

Now look at us...

With this type of intent it will be a long time if ever that we contend in Europe again.
Europe? We'll be contending with the likes of Wolves and Leicester for the foreseeable future.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Should have brought in someone like Ben Yedder to at least have a short term fix if we knew we would be selling Lukaku, but oh well. If Rashford needs to be rested, who do we rely on? Martial or Greenwood up front?

beingshe7don

Dybala: Deal dead by some reports
Bruno: Looks like we were never in for him
Eriksen: Has some legs. But with so little time left there is a good chance it wont go through especially when you are negotiating with Levy
Dembele: I don't trust this. Likely made up. None of the credible journalists have mentioned it as a possibility
Maybe it's too late, but is it possible to get O Dembele on loan from Barca?

beingshe7don

Should have brought in someone like Ben Yedder to at least have a short term fix if we knew we would be selling Lukaku, but oh well. If Rashford needs to be rested, who do we rely on? Martial or Greenwood up front?
Haha.... we have Sanchez too.... which everyone seems to forget but I get your drift.... keyword is rely :p