Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

fps

Surely we are going to sign an attacker now? Say what you will about Lukaku but he outscored Rashford in less minutes. Rashford averaged 234 mins/goal in the league vs Lukaku's 177 mins/goal.

Rashford scored 10 goals in 33 appearances but is expected to be our main striker for the season? We may as well write the season off now if that's the case.

I'm holding out hope that we will get Zaha.
Zaha is at his peak and got 10 in 34 starts last season. I fail to see the sense in paying an enormous sum for the player.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
We could possibly be sticking with our current group of forwards and if need be, sign another in January if depth becomes a problem.

Enigma_87

You know who
We could possibly be sticking with our current group of forwards and if need be, sign another in January if depth becomes a problem.
And if someone out of Martial or Rashford injure themselves before January? Martial last year missed 8 games himself due to injury/ill..

We can of course play one of our 7 CB's there.

Ranchero

And if someone out of Martial or Rashford injure themselves before January? Martial last year missed 8 games himself due to injury/ill..

We can of course play one of our 7 CB's there.
There is always Ed Woodward if push comes to shove.

beingshe7don

We've lost Herrera, Lukaku, Valencia and we still have Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian, Young. Still a long way to go when it comes to getting rid of the deadwood.

prateik

Forget if it comes off or not...
Which players do we think we were targeting?
Striker?
Midfielder?
Right winger?

Surely there must have been someone we had in mind going into the window..

There hasnt been a single striker we have been linked to .. Dybala was not expected. Mandzukic was part of that.. that link has gone away.
Cant think of a right sided winger we have been linked to.. Sancho? was that it? Surely not.

And midfield.. Just Longstaff?

Either things have been kept really quiet.. or we never had a list.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
6 years without being even close to compete for a league title is too long for a top club and the amount of money we spent while making no progress makes it even worse. Just signing 2 first team quality players is not enough when we're depending on very average and washed out players in our midfield and attack. We also lost our only decent midfielder other than Pogba to a free transfer without any replacement.

These past 2 years investment in players has been really low. Either the owners don't want to commit into bringing the club back to the top or we have no idea on how to conduct our transfer business effectively. Even for the average fan, anyone can see that our squad is short of numbers let alone quality in both midfield and forwards.

Solskjaer gave us the impression that there would be quite a few players going out and also quite a few signings coming in but that didn't really happen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s already a problem. January is also difficult for transfers and by that time we could be in real trouble and no decent player will want to go anywhere near us.

if we don’t sign another forward tomorrow, it’ll be sheer incompetence.

kode

Ole will get the sack for sure soon . enough, he did accept to go into the season with a weaker midfield and attack hoping for miracles... no proven goalscorer, Matic who cant even run . We are in for a very long season

BlahRules

We should be surprised with the quality of players that want to play for us... still waiting

Paxi

You lot are mental
Really, because Eriksen and Dybala seem to want to come here, don’t they? Can you name me a player that would improve us that wants to come here?

But don’t take those blind folds off mate. Everything is fine.

BlahRules

Really, because Eriksen and Dybala seem to want to come here, don’t they? Can you name me a player that would improve us that wants to come here?

Apparently Fernandes is dying to come here to the point he cries at end of the game.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Well two defenders who have improved us have come here over the summer.

Eriksen wants to move to Spain because he wants a change from England, and we walked away from Dybala because of excessive demands.

Don't let facts ruin your narrative, though.

Florida Man

Literally no one is saying this.

Florida Man

Eriksen wants to move to Spain because he wants a change from England, and we walked away from Dybala because of excessive demands.

Yeah I really don't understand the meltdown over not replacing Lukaku. If there is an urgent need, it's midfield. Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, and Sanchez will be sufficient enough if our midfield can successfully transition the ball from defense to attack in quick time. I personally think we should take the chance with youth in both midfield and attack. I don't see why Gomes and Garner couldn't perform at a good level and solidify their positions.

oreon

The players don't want to come here narrative is overdone. It's a matter of money. From the looks of it, the money isn't there. Tielelemans wanted to come, Bruno & SMS want to come. We could have had Pepe or Ndombele if we actually put a bid in. The Glazers don't want to go on another spending spree, straight and simple. Like most of us, I don't think the squad will be good enough for top 4 but let's hope Ole can work wonders and get them to overachieve.

Paxi

Yes excessive demands, what should he ask for, pittance? He’s playing for a club that’s in the CL and is aiming to win it so I’m not surprised he asked for a boat load of cash.

Why were we ‘exploring the possibility’ of signing Eriksen now then? Isn’t it obvious that we need more quality in the squad now and not in January. It’s all a bit strange to me when we had issues scoring goals last season, yet this summer we’re doing nothing about it (apart from signing a championship player who scored 4 goals last season) where are the goals going to come from? Are we to suddenly believe in miracles that it’s all going to click? Logic points to Martial and Rashford misfiring again. Don’t get me wrong I hope to be proved wrong and see Greenwood and Chong contribute with solid numbers but it’s just a massive gamble at this point. Where are these players that Ole was talking about, that were being touted to us before the transfer window?

I agree that we made 2 excellent signings in defence but it’s nowhere near good enough of a window as we’re looking to solidify our place in the top 4 and build on that. At the minute I’d have us 5th as Arsenal seem to finish above us and had a better window than us, especially if they sign Luiz.

So I don’t see how I’m trying to push this narrative that doesn’t exist. It’s a fact that we could be facing a complete shit show come Christmas and then we’ll see how teams will pull our pants down because they’ll know we’re desperate. And then as a player, do you want to join a club in disarray? No.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yes excessive demands, what should he ask for, pittance? He’s playing for a club that’s in the CL and is aiming to win it so I’m not surprised he asked for a boat load of cash.

Why were we ‘exploring the possibility’ of signing Eriksen now then? Isn’t it obvious that we need more quality in the squad now and not in January. It’s all a bit strange to me when we had issues scoring goals last season, yet this summer we’re doing nothing about it (apart from signing a championship player who scored 4 goals last season) where are the goals going to come from? Are we to suddenly believe in miracles that it’s all going to click? Logic points to Martial and Rashford misfiring again. Don’t get me wrong I hope to be proved wrong and see Greenwood and Chong contribute with solid numbers but it’s just a massive gamble at this point. Where are these players that Ole was talking about, that were being touted to us before the transfer window?

I agree that we made 2 excellent signings in defence but it’s nowhere near good enough of a window as we’re looking to solidify our place in the top 4 and build on that. At the minute I’d have us 5th as Arsenal seem to finish above us and had a better window than us, especially if they sign Luiz.

So I don’t see how I’m trying to push this narrative that doesn’t exist. It’s a fact that we could be facing a complete shit show come Christmas and then we’ll see how teams will pull our pants down because they’ll know we’re desperate. And then as a player, do you want to join a club in disarray? No.
Well there's asking for money and then there's asking for above and beyond what a club believes you deserve. Added to the ongoing legal issue regarding his image rights then it's probably a good thing we decided against it having been seriously naive with the Sanchez deal.

I agree there are still serious deficiencies in the team but I think we need to move away from the idea of a quick fix and just throwing money at big names. We've tried that over the last 6 years and it's been an abject failure. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, perhaps some of our targets were not available. Perhaps we are interested in Sancho next summer so don't want to spend huge amounts on a RW this summer. Or perhaps not, I don't know. But it is pointless buying someone just for the sake of it. Perhaps OGS believes Fred can push on this season - if so that will be like a new signing in itself.

Do I wish we'd have signed 1 or 2 more? Yes, and I'm sure privately Ole does too. But he's clearly placing great faith in the youngsters, and Fergie was a great advocate of that approach and often commented young players can surprise you when given a chance. Look at Sancho at Dortmund for example.

Be disappointed by all means, I just think the doomsday comments are a bit much. One poster thinks we won't make top 10. It's just absurd.

Stacks

If Dybala wanted to come he'd lower his demands. We signed players from teams below us in the league. They are not proven great players. One does not play for the national team yet (although I rate him) and the other is far below the previous standard of English CB. They are upgrades though but these were obvious/predictable signings as they come from lesser teams

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If Dybala wanted to come he'd lower his demands. We signed players from teams below us in the league. They are not proven great players. One does not play for the national team yet (although I rate him) and the other is far below the previous standard of English CB. They are upgrades though but these were obvious/predictable signings as they come from lesser teams
United have generally historically always signed players below then in the league.

Paxi

Well there's asking for money and then there's asking for above and beyond what a club believes you deserve. Added to the ongoing legal issue regarding his image rights then it's probably a good thing we decided against it having been seriously naive with the Sanchez deal.

I agree there are still serious deficiencies in the team but I think we need to move away from the idea of a quick fix and just throwing money at big names. We've tried that over the last 6 years and it's been an abject failure. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, perhaps some of our targets were not available. Perhaps we are interested in Sancho next summer so don't want to spend huge amounts on a RW this summer. Or perhaps not, I don't know. But it is pointless buying someone just for the sake of it. Perhaps OGS believes Fred can push on this season - if so that will be like a new signing in itself.

Do I wish we'd have signed 1 or 2 more? Yes, and I'm sure privately Ole does too. But he's clearly placing great faith in the youngsters, and Fergie was a great advocate of that approach and often commented young players can surprise you when given a chance. Look at Sancho at Dortmund for example.

Be disappointed by all means, I just think the doomsday comments are a bit much. One poster thinks we won't make top 10. It's just absurd.
I don’t know know what’s going on either to be honest and I’m more venting in frustration at the lack of coherent process in which way we do our business. I mean, surely we could have done our due diligence in regards to Dybala and then moved along. If we didn’t sign him, fine. Move on to another target. Bruno, for instance. I mean he’s a number 10 that would be obtainable and by the look of things - he fits Ole’s system. Why Dybala, why Eriksen? And then we’re briefing that Eriksen didn’t want to come here in the first place. I mean it stinks of scattergun approach and complete incompetence. Surely we’d sound out to players’ agents and judge their level of interest, find potential snags and see if we’re going to move on with the deal or not. Now we’ve did that but we did it in the last week of the window and now we’re wondering if our squad will score enough goals. Well we haven’t for past 6 seasons and our attack hasn’t improved so I’m expecting just more of the same. Also, we should have been working on those deals for Eriksen, Dybala weeks ago. We should have known Dybala’s situation, he’s been on the market all summer. Eriksen always wanted to go to Spain yet we’re running around like a rabid dog chasing cars. Just reminds me of the 3 lawyers outside La Liga offices without a fecking clue of what to do. And 5 years later it’s more of the same.

Ole’s lost before he’s even began because he’s working with his hands tied behind his back. But at the same time if he believes Fred, Matic, Andreas, McTomminay are enough then he’ll be judged as such when if the shit hits the fan.

If we have the money, we should be investing in midfield. I don’t believe for a second that Longstaff is the only option. There are plenty of capable midfielders that we could have signed.

jem

So a possibility is a fact is what you're saying?