Solskjaer

Rahul

He's really doing magnificently with reserves and the academy isn't he. Theres almost an air of the Class of 2005 about them (Rossi, Pique, Campbell etc). I hope he resists the overtures of his national team for our sakes.

Norway want Solskjaer to join their coaching set-up and Karen Espelund, general secretary of the Norwegian Football Association, said: 'We have talked with Ole and he has said he is in favour of a role around the national team again in the future.

'It is too early to say when it could happen but we are very happy that Solskjaer has said that he will have a role in the national team.'

jb8521

Played 10 won 5 drawn 2 lost 3 though 1 of these was on penalties

Amir

not all that outstanding considering we scour the globe for talent
It's hardly as if Ole's got all of our young talent at his disposal. Some have made an early jump to the first team, others went on loan. It's not the results that matter, is managing to produce players from that level. And it's quite difficult with the current level of the reserve league. Players either need to be so good that they don't need time in the reserves (Rafael) or a loan to pick up experience (Evans).

Actually, I've no idea how to judge Ole's abilities as a coach at the reserves. But he's Ole, so he's fantastic. :D

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
But he's Ole, so he's fantastic. :D
It's so gratifying to see that everyone now thinks the way I thought when I first joined RC. :D

Not that I have much opinion on Ole's success or otherwise with the reserves..I have to confess I haven't followed his progress that much.

davisjw

anyone have an opinion on this. i think its an interesting topic to see how you lot would fee if ole took over from fergie.
Doesn't seem to have that drive it'd take to run United and I want someone with experience to take over. Ole wont have that type for 6-7 years.

p_ps_sock

would we have the bollocks like barca to make ole the gaffer after fergie like guardiola was given the reigns after rijkaard?
we simply can't afford a couple of poor years, if barca don't make the champions league they sack him, if we don't make the champions league we're screwed.

Livvie

Scout
Can't even begin to imagine Ole managing United. Maybe in ten years or so, depending on any managerial achievements.

Merman

It's so gratifying to see that everyone now thinks the way I thought when I first joined RC. :D

Not that I have much opinion on Ole's success or otherwise with the reserves..I have to confess I haven't followed his progress that much.
Do you think he was better than Cole?:p

Livvie

Scout
Do you think he was better than Cole?:p
Like you don't know the answer to that already.

Cole was a different kind of player and was better than Ole in some areas, but Ole was also better than Cole in some areas, and I always felt with Ole in the side that we'd score. Ole was a better finisher. And Ole loved United with a passion and loyalty rarely seen.

Bearded but no genius

Ole hopefully can find some way to balance the good of United and the good of his country.

He has clearly really done some great work with the youngsters. His attitude is the sort of attitude you want every player to have.

Between Ole and Didier Drogba you have the perfect encapsulations of everything that is right and everything that is wrong in the modern recently retired footballer.

Bearded but no genius

Like you don't know the answer to that already.

Cole was a different kind of player and was better than Ole in some areas, but Ole was also better than Cole in some areas, and I always felt with Ole in the side that we'd score. Ole was a better finisher. And Ole loved United with a passion and loyalty rarely seen.
Such as finding the back of the net :D

SecondFig

we simply can't afford a couple of poor years, if barca don't make the champions league they sack him, if we don't make the champions league we're screwed.
Rubbish - I'd much rather a new guy comes in and takes a few years to set everything up properly (as he wants it) than having a succession of short term managers (a la Barca)

MrBurns

Rubbish - I'd much rather a new guy comes in and takes a few years to set everything up properly (as he wants it) than having a succession of short term managers (a la Barca)
Its not about what you or I want...

Its about what the debt/owners need.

So NO, Id be surprised if United appointed an unproven manager after SAF.

Which is what sock was getting at.

VoetbalWizard

i'd imagine barca's goals are to win as much as possible and do it the 'barca way' which is what united's goal are...i.e. to win as much as possible and do it the 'united way'.

so why do barca have the confidence to give the reigns to guardiola, who has no other coaching experience that i know of other than barca youth/reserves but for us you'd be shitting yourself with ole?

certainly the reason can't be that barca are better than us. we have a supremely talented squad as well. and barca fans, if anything, are probably more fickle than us as well since on the continent you have the whole white-handkerchief waving bollocks and booing the team/manager much more often than in england.

i know saf is an instutituion, and it is much harder to succeed him than rijkaard, but i for one wouldn't mind ole being thrust into the seat like pep has been at barca.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
so what you are saying is that if we had no debt, then you would be ok with ole as a the gaffer?
I would, but only if we have someone more experienced to replace Ferguson. I wouldn't want anyone who is young and inexperienced like Ole having to deal with the immense pressure of following SAF.

p_ps_sock

so what you are saying is that if we had no debt, then you would be ok with ole as a the gaffer?
he has the attitude, temperament and intelligence to be a great manager

it would obviously be a huge risk but he knows the club inside out and already has the respect of the fans, it could work.

Red Norse

According to reports in Norwegian media today Ole has rejected the job as manager of his former club Molde. Apparently he wouldn't rule it out happening in the future though. He's determined to stay as long as SAF is at the helm.

Dyslexic Untied

I reckoned he would say no.

Still, it was a chance to get back to his homeplace (Molde is near Kristiansund), join his old club, probably earn a fair bit of money since Røkke is at the helm etc etc.

Great to see him stay, and he is proving his loyalty time and time again.

Saliph

Translated interview:

How important is it to you that Ferguson is still your boss in England?

- My job there depends on him, to put it that way. If he hadn't still been managing United, I wouldn't be there either. We have a very good relationship, and I enjoy working under him. I'll stay there as long as the Boss is still in charge, that's the plan.

When you leave United, what level are you aiming for? Isn't Molde too low?

- I want to manage in England of course. I want to be manager of Manchester United, but you won't go from being reserve team coach to head coach there - that only happens in Barcelona. I'm gonna have to leave United at some point, and I have ambitions, but I also have to balance it with my family life.

In football you develop feelings for certain people. That Kjell Inge (the owner of Molde) hired a private jet to help me get to England counts for a lot. I have loyalty to Manchester United and Fergie, but I also owe Kjell Inge and Molde.

Livvie

Scout
I reckoned he would say no.

Still, it was a chance to get back to his homeplace (Molde is near Kristiansund), join his old club, probably earn a fair bit of money since Røkke is at the helm etc etc.

Great to see him stay, and he is proving his loyalty time and time again.
Well I love Ole (not a lot of people know that) but to be fair to United, they've obviously made it easy for him to stay - he's been rewarded well, and so it's not just down to loyalty that he's staying. It's surely part of it, but combined with a love of what he's doing and a desire to see it through until he feels he can do no more.

He'll ultimately do what is best for himself and his family, and rightly so.

Dyslexic Untied

Well I love Ole (not a lot of people know that) but to be fair to United, they've obviously made it easy for him to stay - he's been rewarded well, and so it's not just down to loyalty that he's staying. It's surely part of it, but combined with a love of what he's doing and a desire to see it through until he feels he can do no more.

He'll ultimately do what is best for himself and his family, and rightly so.
Agree completely. Same thing can be said of all our loyal servants. Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc. Obviously they have been loyal but it is quite easy to be loyal when you get to play a lot of football, live at home, work under SAF, challenge for titles and earn a lot of cash.

That is a different debate though! Ole has shown loyalty on several levels IMO, from turning down a move when he wasn't playing, to supporting MUST etc.

Livvie

Scout
That is a different debate though! Ole has shown loyalty on several levels IMO, from turning down a move when he wasn't playing, to supporting MUST etc.
There is no debate about that one. :)

Sylar

See, thats the situation I wouldnt mind Mourinho managing us for a couple of years.

After fergie leaves in 2054, Mourinho comes in for 2 years to take of the "manager after fergie" pressure, but whilst hes manager him having Solskjaer as his number 2.

Ole then takes over :)

Dreamer much?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Barcelona isn't United. For example,
- The coach is the team manager, not the club manager. The structure is different - hiring, firing, contracts, team tours and the rest of it are not primarily Guardiola's decision. At United, despite the financial constraints, it's SAF first and everyone else (including Gill) second.
- the team that Guardiola played was basically Barca academy raised with a couple of imports (and even less imports now). We've a much less homogenous team in terms of nationality and backgrounds. A bigger man management task, given that some of the players in that category we won't be willing to lose.
- when Barca hired him, the management and the fans were happy to see him as a stop-gap while they hired a real one. They'd have dropped him without a second thought if things weren't going well within a couple of months, or if they'd got one of the people they were chasing.

Ole isn't Guardiola, and here I'm going to be unfair and use OGS's loyalty against him. Sorry. When Guardiola stopped getting enough games, he went off and toured the footballing world (as a player). He did 6 years away from Barca, bringing back a spirit of adventure and new experiences?

We can't take Ole's results with the reserves as a benchmark - but won't we need somebody who has been responsible for delivering results? We wouldn't be suspicious of Queiroz's credentials except for his results.

If he was our Assistant Manager for a couple of successful years maybe I'd see him differently (maybe he isn't Queiroz). Meanwhile I just find the Guardiola comparison too simplistic.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
not all that outstanding considering we scour the globe for talent
I really dont think reserve/youth matches should necessarily be all about winning. Nuch more emphasis has to be put on the skills rather than just winning. Thats why we end up with so many great prospects at youth age who fail to prosper at senior level. YTS set ups have a tendacies to go with these big tall lads at 14-15 who are more like men and the smaller more skillful kids struggle to get into the teams.

WireRed

Barcelona isn't United. For example,
- The coach is the team manager, not the club manager. The structure is different - hiring, firing, contracts, team tours and the rest of it are not primarily Guardiola's decision. At United, despite the financial constraints, it's SAF first and everyone else (including Gill) second.
- the team that Guardiola played was basically Barca academy raised with a couple of imports (and even less imports now). We've a much less homogenous team in terms of nationality and backgrounds. A bigger man management task, given that some of the players in that category we won't be willing to lose.
- when Barca hired him, the management and the fans were happy to see him as a stop-gap while they hired a real one. They'd have dropped him without a second thought if things weren't going well within a couple of months, or if they'd got one of the people they were chasing.

Ole isn't Guardiola, and here I'm going to be unfair and use OGS's loyalty against him. Sorry. When Guardiola stopped getting enough games, he went off and toured the footballing world (as a player). He did 6 years away from Barca, bringing back a spirit of adventure and new experiences?

Perhaps, we can't take Ole's results with the reserves as a benchmark - but won't we need somebody who has been responsible for delivering results? We wouldn't be suspicious of Queiroz's credentials except for his results.

If he was our Assistant Manager for a couple of successful years maybe I'd see him differently (maybe he isn't Queiroz). Meanwhile I just find the Guardiola comparison too simplistic.
I agree. The culture of Barcelona and Manchester United is different, but also, and most importantly the circumstances will be when Fergie retires. It wasn't like Pep was the next man in after Cryuff and the legacy he created at the Nou Camp, he came in after the disastrous last 18 months of the Rijkaard era and was given a big help with big money investment in the squad, something we would struggle to provide.

Our squad is more cosmopolitan than Barca's, there is much less of a backbone of youth team graduates/local youngsters than what there is at Barca, and certainly very little that have come through under Ole and have worked with him enough to believe totally in his coaching methods, again this is something Guardiola had in his favour at Barca.

Following SAF will be a tough job for whoever takes over, he's almost on a hiding to nothing whoever he is, I don't think Ole is the man to shoulder that burden.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I agree. The culture of Barcelona and Manchester United is different, but also, and most importantly the circumstances will be when Fergie retires. It wasn't like Pep was the next man in after Cryuff and the legacy he created at the Nou Camp, he came in after the disastrous last 18 months of the Rijkaard era and was given a big help with big money investment in the squad, something we would struggle to provide.

Our squad is more cosmopolitan than Barca's, there is much less of a backbone of youth team graduates/local youngsters than what there is at Barca, and certainly very little that have come through under Ole and have worked with him enough to believe totally in his coaching methods, again this is something Guardiola had in his favour at Barca.

Following SAF will be a tough job for whoever takes over, he's almost on a hiding to nothing whoever he is, I don't think Ole is the man to shoulder that burden.
Lets not forget the massive feck up that pep did with the Ibrahimavich deal. Schoolboy error that one!!