Solskjaer

Eirik Raude

Leverkusen, Tottenham and Lyon doesn't play qualification, they go straight to the group stage. According to wikipedia, the seeded teams for the play-off round are: Sporting CP, CSKA Moscow, PSV Eindhoven, Stuttgart, Bordeaux, Metalist Kharkiv, AZ, Hapoel tel Aviv and Lazio. Also, Newcastle, Trabzonspor, Levante and a few others might be seeded, depending on the rest of the teams in the play-off.

By lucky, I don't mean easy, because there is no such thing in Europe. But Basel was one of the very worst teams they could get this round, so a lucky draw would be Metalist Kharkiv or Hapoel tel Aviv, or maybe even Stuttgart, which are teams I believe Molde would have a decent chance to beat.

Laphroaig

Solskjær almost never has a go at the opposition or the referee, and in a way it's nice to see that he did today. He has every right, he has shown no mercy towards his own players when they have cheated, so he has every right to tear into the opposition when they do. What have the Basel people said?

Brophs

The One and Only
That would be a good job for him. He'd have a chance to go into a good club with a decent chairman and owner, and it would be near to Manchester. If they were willing to invest a bit of money I can see them doing well this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And a good option for loaning our young hopefuls

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
He's not leaving Molde at this point in time.
Hope not. He is bound to finish the season in Norway, and I'm sure he wishes to see how far he can take them in the Europa League aswell. Concidering OGS allegedly turned down Aston Villa earlier this year, I cannot see why he would walk away from Molde at the end of a potentially gold winning season, aswell as competing in the Europa League.

Laphroaig

And he clearly reached some sort of agreement with the owners after the Villa debacle. He's staying for the remainder of the season at the very least. (Unless United suddenly need/want him...)

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No chance of him taking the Bolton job. Massively in debt and a pretty average Championship squad.

Bolton will hire McCarthy. Olé will take a Premiership job in the next 12 months I reckon.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Not sure how anyone can make that call yet. Bolton is a perfect place for him to start off, established club with a half decent academy. Decent owners with realistic expectations....
His Molde team is still competing in the Europa League, he turned down a premier league club to stay with them so why would he suddenly join a championship club instead?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I don't understand people who hate player's with trademark celebrations (except for Robbie Keane and Bale obviously, they just look crap) - but Ole :D :devil:

Good to hear Etzaz Hussain scored as well.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Did they just win the league?? Obviously it's hard to find info on their league here in Aus. Table said that was it....

I have a feeling it's not though..? They just beat Rosenborg who were top.

edit: Ok, nah looks like 32 games. GO OLE.

Laphroaig

Did they just win the league?? Obviously it's hard to find info on their league here in Aus. Table said that was it....

I have a feeling it's not though..? They just beat Rosenborg who were top.

edit: Ok, nah looks like 32 games. GO OLE.
Shit! Wikipedia, Flashscore, Wiziwig, Guardian, etc are blocked in Australia?

(And how does it look like 32 games? A league of 17 teams?)

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Old celebration gets new outing as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sparkles again

The Molde manager seems set for stellar success in his new role as a second successive title beckons

The celebration was spectacularly familiar. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer slid on his knees, clenched his fists and yelled pure happiness into the night. Many years have passed since that seminal moment in the Camp Nou in 1999 but for Solksjaer the manager, in his suit and coat and thick scarf, a bright man who is deeply aware of how he presents his ambitions and responsibilities, there was no way of stopping the instinct to literally throw himself into a football-bloody-hell moment. "I can afford to buy new trousers. You get carried away a bit when it's that tight," he quipped afterwards.

It was certainly a scenario worth relishing, as Solskjaer's team beat Rosenborg 2-0 to leap over their final major hurdle en route to a successful title defence. Bear in mind that Molde had not won the league in their entire history before this favourite son returned to try his hand at management in 2011. A dramatically charged, late breakaway goal was loaded with emotion. Now Molde can jog over the line, with two matches, both against Tippeligaen strugglers, to come and a one-point lead over unfancied Stromsgodset to maintain.

Solskjaer's stock as a young manager going places is indisputable. The only questions are where and when. His name is seldom far from the mix when English club positions are vacant and he makes no secret of his desire to graduate to the Premier League. But given the way he has conducted his development so far, it is clear the striker whose last-minute goal won Manchester United the Champions League in Barcelona is in no rush to take something that does not feel entirely right. There were discussions with Aston Villa, links with Bolton and Blackburn, but nothing has yet tempted him away from his hometown club.

When he was asked about one day taking over at United on a recent radio interview he chuckled before saying all the right things about having big dreams. But his tone of voice revealed how he wants to manage his career with care, avoiding unnecessary traps and having enough confidence and control to do his job as well as can be.

The Norwegians are impressed by how he conveys himself. It is subtle but there is substance and strength in abundance. "He has a really strange aura," says Lars Siversten, a reporter with TV2. "He is in charge of everything in the room. Without exerting authority he can achieve the desired effect by a look. We think very highly of him. At first it was like he was the golden boy player coming home. It took a title to prove he is a serious and significant football man. He worked hard to prove himself."

Molde have given him the right tools for his apprenticeship. It is a well-run club, with good financial backing. The owner, Kjell Inge Rokke, one of Norway's wealthiest businessmen, was part of the consortium who bought into Wimbledon in the late 1990s and forced the move to Milton Keynes. But closer to home there are few critics of how he has invested in Molde.

He built their stadium – in one of the most picturesque places you can imagine football being played. The 11,800-seat Aker Stadion lies on the bank of a fjord, with snow-capped mountains as its backdrop. Molde have the funds to recruit a high calibre of player by Tippeligaen standards. Solskjaer had the freedom to handpick his coaches: Richard Hartis and Mark Dempsey, friends from his Old Trafford days, are integral members of his support staff.

These factors were all important to Solskjaer when he took on the challenge. "It's not about what club you find, it's about finding leadership in that club that you can work with and trust. Then you have a good foundation," he says. "I feel that I have a lot to learn. I'm sure I could have been a manager in England right now, if I wanted to, but it's not right for me. And it's certainly not right for my family and that's at least as important here. If I do well here, I'm sure I'll be happy."

Taking Molde into the Champions League is one of his aspirations. They were close in the pre-qualifiers last time but a squandered penalty ended the journey. Solskjaer went straight to the afflicted penalty taker to engulf him in a bear hug.

He wants players who, like him, are genuinely interested in the game. His captain, Daniel Berg Hestad, is steeped in Molde's story. He is their record appearance holder. The man who held the honour before was his father. His uncles played for the club. His passion for what he does is exemplary.

It is no surprise Solskjaer has tried to build his team around players who are as strong mentally as they are technically. "There are so many talents around but when they have character, hunger, the motivation to be better all the time, to improve, that's the key," he explains. That was such an obvious part of his own make-up as a player and even his time on the bench as a regular substitute with Manchester United was put to good use as he famously spent it intently studying the opposition.

As he told the magazine Josimar, that was not something he did lightly but with a very specific view to making the best of any situation he found himself in: "I probably didn't analyse the whole game. I had to think about myself, how can I do the most damage for the opposition if I come on? I sat there and I studied football games but I didn't exactly analyse their strikers. Thierry Henry could do whatever he wanted as far as I was concerned, that was Jaap Stam's problem. Instead I would pay attention to what the defenders and full-backs were doing wrong."

Solskjaer is still absorbing everything he can from the touchline, now with his suit and coat and scarf on. The supersub has turned into a super coach.
Old celebration gets new outing as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sparkles again

SirAF

Ageist
Happy for Solskjaer today! And pleased that the title stays in the greatest region!

sajeev

Great!!! Hope he gets them into the Champions League this time, it would exciting to see him manage at that level even with a Norwegian club. But does anyone think a bigger club might tempt him? Say a Bundesliga club or a French club in the Champions league (you get my drift)

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Has to be a serious contender now for the big job when it does come up. Twice proven at a club that never did it before shows amazing talent as a manager.

Well done Ole!!

Irwinwastheking

Great!!! Hope he gets them into the Champions League this time, it would exciting to see him manage at that level even with a Norwegian club. But does anyone think a bigger club might tempt him? Say a Bundesliga club or a French club in the Champions league (you get my drift)
I'd love to see him take that path rather than go to a lesser prem club and maybe stall the career. A good German/Spanish team for a few years would greatly aid development.

Platato

Psst!
Ole!!!!! First 2 seasons, 2 titles. Definitely got something about him

Laphroaig

There's at least three good reasons why he won't and shouldn't go to Germany or Spain: 1. Language. 2. Authority. When he came to Molde it was like the second coming. That gave him instant authority. He's a demigod in PL too, while he's probably just a well known footballer in Continental Europe. 3. His knowledge of everything about English football is obviously far greater than of German, French or Spanish.

Irwinwastheking

All good reasonable points, but I wouldn't want to see him at one of our title rivals and he's already turned down one of the biggest upper mid table clubs.

Laphroaig

2 games to go and 1 point clear at the top so the title isnt yet won.
Dear Caf,

please don't listen to the Norwegians. They don't know shit about the Norwegian league. It's still two rounds left and nobody has won anything yet.

Kind regards,
Stack from New Zealand.

Solskjær lauging at Stack: