Solskjaer

I'm always right

Has to be a serious contender now for the big job when it does come up. Twice proven at a club that never did it before shows amazing talent as a manager.

Well done Ole!!
Nar, he'll need to do something at a much bigger club for me to want us to consider him.

His name alone helps him massively in Norway, and his connections with United have given him a helping hand too with signings like Eikrem. I'd like Ole to join an Ajax or similar asap.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Nar, he'll need to do something at a much bigger club for me to want us to consider him.

His name alone helps him massively in Norway, and his connections with United have given him a helping hand too with signings like Eikrem. I'd like Ole to join an Ajax or similar asap.
Same here. A Dutch club would suit him a lot better than a German one at this point due to the general ambiance around dutch clubs being a lot more similar to a Norwegian one(e.g. more homely and closer to semi professional roots than most German clubs).

steeeb

Not leaving Molde for Villa was a good choice, he had unfinished business. It's now possible he could move on. If he moves on he should be given complete control to do what he wants at the club right down to youth level and bring in who he wants. Otherwise he might as well stay for a bit.

I'd like to see him back at United and be given the chance to take over from Fergie.

King_Eric

Can any Norwegians tell me if Solskjaer is really starting to show what a brilliant manager he could be by winning the title twice with Molde, or is it more of a 'at the right place at the right time' kinda thing? I have no idea of the strength of Molde (both squad wise and financially) compared to other Norwegian clubs and what his contribution exactly is to this Molde side.

From what I gathered, Molde isn't really the biggest club so I'm inclined to think this is a huge feat.

steeeb

Can any Norwegians tell me if Solskjaer is really starting to show what a brilliant manager he could be by winning the title twice with Molde, or is it more of a 'at the right place at the right time' kinda thing? I have no idea of the strength of Molde (both squad wise and financially) compared to other Norwegian teams and what his contribution exactly is to this Molde side.

From what I gathered, Molde isn't really the biggest club so I'm inclined to think this is a huge feat.
They've had some financial backing - I don't believe anything massive, like - but enough for them to compete. He didn't for example take a shit team and make them brilliant but had the backing to bring some players in to make them competitive.

Winning the league twice is a pretty big feat with Molde I'd say doing it once can be put down to other things but retaining it shows a lot.

Laphroaig

He is brilliant, no doot aboot it. He's had backing, both financially but more importantly he has been trusted. He's been allowed to transform Molde, not just on the pitch, but the staff etc, he's even been hands on in finding their new chef! And his status in Molde and Norway has given him a helpful automatic authority. Eirik Raude is the resident Molde man, he can tell you more about it.

The financial backing he's had has been slightly exaggerated. Transfer wise they've probably sold for more than they've bought the last couple of years. (Or?) But I suppose the reason they have been able to be the first team since 1984 to defend the title except for Rosenborg, is that they didn't (have to) sell their star players. And if they have to this time, they'll probably replace them well. Another reason, of course, is that Solskjær has made sure that they haven't been complacent.

Molde haven't really bought stars like Rosenborg always do (and even Vålerenga). (Well, after the first trophy, and getting into Europe, they did: Hovland, PPD and Hussain may be classified as such. But the signings before their first trophy weren't stars.) They've bought youth and have a great mixture of old, young and those in the middle. However, maybe Solskjær's most impressing feature is his character. He's always so calm and sporting. Even Rosenborg (Molde's arch rivals) fans will struggle to say a bad word about him. He's managed to transform the entire Molde football club, instilling great calmness (despite having the most annoyingly wasteful forwards in the world of football), hunger and professionalism into it.

I really think he is special. Probably even more so as a manager than as a player. (And my ideal scenario would be that the football god himself stays in charge for another couple of seasons before Solskjær comes straight from Molde, where he's made Molde into the new Rosenborg.)

nemanja nemagic

"It is no surprise Solskjaer has tried to build his team around players who are as strong mentally as they are technically. "There are so many talents around but when they have character, hunger, the motivation to be better all the time, to improve, that's the key," he explains. That was such an obvious part of his own make-up as a player and even his time on the bench as a regular substitute with Manchester United was put to good use as he famously spent it intently studying the opposition."

That just smacks exactly of how Ferguson pinpoints potential United players. They need that hunger and exact attitude, it is as integral as ability. Firmly believe OGS will manage us one day. :drool:

Laphroaig

And four or five of their key players are homegrown. (But to be fair I believe most noggieteams have a bunch of homegrown players.)

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great to see him retain the league. It will be interesting to see if he stays around for another season or does move to a bigger club now.

Collina

Our old boy Magnus Wolff Eikrem with a great reaction after being informed that they're champions after Strømsgodset lost 2-1:

:lol:

Solskjær has done a magnificent job at Molde. Let's hope he can take them to the group stage of the Champions League next season.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Did anyone get visions of Ole running around screaming "Pure Happiness" to everyone :lol: Pure happiness everyone
Pure happiness!!!

:lol::lol:

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Can any Norwegians tell me if Solskjaer is really starting to show what a brilliant manager he could be by winning the title twice with Molde, or is it more of a 'at the right place at the right time' kinda thing? I have no idea of the strength of Molde (both squad wise and financially) compared to other Norwegian clubs and what his contribution exactly is to this Molde side.

Theres been many manager for the last 10 years or so who have had the same kind of backing at Molde without coming close to what he has achieved. Winning once might have been considered a fluke because of the relatively unstable Norwegian League, but twice in a row is quite an achievement. You couldnt take any manager and expect results just because of the financial backing.

Solskjær has done a magnificent job at Molde. Let's hope he can take them to the group stage of the Champions League next season.
What a great guy and what a manager he's proving to be. I hope he does just that as well. It would be simply amazing to see the club up against the big boys of Europe. No doubt his stock will be getting even higher now but it's best for his career if he stays there for the time being. There's plenty more things he can learn with them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If you haven't watched it yet:

Amazing man.
goosebump moments aplenty. Beautiful story about life after United for undisputed legend of our club.

Never realised that he was such an intelligent man. And he is Manchester United to the core. And absorbed more from SAF than any other ex player now in management. And that he has remembered every small detail from his career with us and putting that into action as his manager (like the story of when Molde lost 0-5, and him remembering what SAF said to the team when we lost 5-0 vs Newcastle years ago). Its that level of detail that will keep him ahead of the pack for year to come

Screw Mourinho or Guardiola, I want OGS to take over after SAF. Give him 5 years, surround him with Gary Neville, Phil Neville (if he'll come back), Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes and let him build his own legacy.

We'd then have our very own 'boot room' for the next 20 years. And it would still feel like SAF's club, our play still built around his philosophy. That would be SAFs dream Im sure. Thats mine too.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
If Fergie sticks it out for another 3 or 4 years I really do see Ole as the wily Scot's successor. A legend a United player. A legend as a United manager? I deffo wouldn't rule it out.

Adebesi

goosebump moments aplenty. Beautiful story about life after United for undisputed legend of our club.

Never realised that he was such an intelligent man. And he is Manchester United to the core. And absorbed more from SAF than any other ex player now in management. And that he has remembered every small detail from his career with us and putting that into action as his manager (like the story of when Molde lost 0-5, and him remembering what SAF said to the team when we lost 5-0 vs Newcastle years ago). Its that level of detail that will keep him ahead of the pack for year to come

Screw Mourinho or Guardiola, I want OGS to take over after SAF. Give him 5 years, surround him with Gary Neville, Phil Neville (if he'll come back), Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes and let him build his own legacy.

We'd then have our very own 'boot room' for the next 20 years. And it would still feel like SAF's club, our play still built around his philosophy. That would be SAFs dream Im sure. Thats mine too.
So when you say let him build his own legacy, you really mean let's preserve SAF's legacy.

It's a lovely fantasy. But in reality, you'd have to let Ole be his own man. If we got him, and that part of the fantasy at least has a chance of coming true, we'd have to let him evolve the club, not mummify it and preserve it as a tribute to a former manager.

VII

If you haven't watched it yet:

Amazing man.
Thanks for this! Love that guy with the Legend's Chair. :lol:

Really hope Fergie stays for a few more years and pass the reign over to Ole.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Olé.... :drool:

Would love him as our #2 ready to step up when the day comes. Sorry Mike!

Adebesi

That is a great video tho. And it does feel right somehow, there is something about the idea of him taking over that makes more sense than any of the alternatives. There should be romance in football, and he would be our Guardiola.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I'm kind of torn. I'd love this to happen, but it's no way to guarantee that he's got what it takes if we're plunging him into the hotseat straight from Molde.

I'd hate for him to ruin his legacy by being a failure as a manager at OT.

Adebesi

Having said that Guardiola had even less experience didnt he? He only had the reserves - or was it youth? - management experience at Barca. Ole has the youth team background as well as the top job at Molde.

But yes, as someone said yesterday, the ideal would be for him to go to Germany or France or even Holland and manage a bigger club there first. Or win the CL with Molde next year. That would probably do it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is still very young, he does not need to jump straight into fergies chair.

Let somebody more experienced that can handle the pressure take the rains first of all, our next manager is not going to be here 20+ year IMO.

Ole needs the next job to be a big club in europe somewhere, or atleast in the prem for a while.

Adam-Utd

Having said that Guardiola had even less experience didnt he? He only had the reserves - or was it youth? - management experience at Barca. Ole has the youth team background as well as the top job at Molde.

But yes, as someone said yesterday, the ideal would be for him to go to Germany or France or even Holland and manage a bigger club there first. Or win the CL with Molde next year. That would probably do it.
Thats very true, but he has also cracked under the pressure and had to quit for his own health, we dont want that happening to ole, Barcelona pretty much run themselves on the pitch and dont need any tactical changes realistically, we would be significantly different.

Varun

Staff
Personally, i want him to prove himself on a bigger stage than Molde before he can be considered for the job at OT. It'd be fecking fantastic to see him as the boss but the risk is too big. If he fails, it'd totally rule him out for the future too which would be a shame.

Varun

Staff
Thats very true, but he has also cracked under the pressure and had to quit for his own health, we dont want that happening to ole, Barcelona pretty much run themselves on the pitch and dont need any tactical changes realistically, we would be significantly different.
Not true. Barca players have talked on numerous occasions about Guardiola's attention to finer tactical details and how he was absolutely crazy about getting things perfect tactically.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So when you say let him build his own legacy, you really mean let's preserve SAF's legacy.

It's a lovely fantasy. But in reality, you'd have to let Ole be his own man. If we got him, and that part of the fantasy at least has a chance of coming true, we'd have to let him evolve the club, not mummify it and preserve it as a tribute to a former manager.
Of course you are right about letting him being his own man. But simply put, he is so heavily influenced by all things SAF that I think the club would feel the same. And that would be because OGS knows no other way than the SAF way.

Funny in the VDO that they say he has even developed his own 'hair dryer'

Adam-Utd

Not true. Barca players have talked on numerous occasions about Guardiola's attention to finer tactical details and how he was absolutely crazy about getting things perfect tactically.
Yes but what i mean is now he has gone they still have those ethics instilled, it does not require a new manager to come in and change things around - exactly why Villanova has sucseeded so far.

When our new manager comes will they try to stamp a completely new image on us? I very much doubt Mourinho or Guardiola would want to play a counter attacking 4-4-2.

Klopp perhaps would be the best fit with our style, and Ole would know the ins and outs of how we play.

Varun

Staff
Yes but what i mean is now he has gone they still have those ethics instilled, it does not require a new manager to come in and change things around - exactly why Villanova has sucseeded so far.

When our new manager comes will they try to stamp a completely new image on us? I very much doubt Mourinho or Guardiola would want to play a counter attacking 4-4-2.

Klopp perhaps would be the best fit with our style, and Ole would know the ins and outs of how we play.
Ohh, that i agree with mate.

Other than Klopp, i dont think any top manager would continue to play us the way we have under SAF tbh. European football has changed in style.

Adebesi

Of course you are right about letting him being his own man. But simply put, he is so heavily influenced by all things SAF that I think the club would feel the same. And that would be because OGS knows no other way than the SAF way.

Funny in the VDO that they say he has even developed his own 'hair dryer'
I know what you mean to be fair. It is a difficult subject to be impartial about, as soon as you think about something like this the emotion of it can run away from you a bit I think. After replying to your post I watched the docu and I understood exactly where you were coming from. Ole put it quite well in it himself, as well. He cant be the same man as SAF, he has to take the best things from all his own experiences, and SAF will be the single biggest influence on him. But he would have his own ideas and he would have to be allowed to change things a bit. I also wouldnt want the club - or SAF - to dictate terms to him, in terms of having such and such a player in his backroom staff. SAF would never stand for such interference and our future managers shouldnt either. There is a line between advice and interference and we need to make sure SAF himself, and Glazer / Gill / whoever do not cross it.

In some ways maybe the fact Ole is unlikely to muster enough experience by the time SAF retires could help in this respect. Taking the baton from SAF directly might make that process a little more difficult in the transition. If he comes with more experience, and takes over from a mere mortal (with someone else dealing with the inevitable SAF comedown effect), it might clear the decks for an easier start for Ole.

But yes, from the fan's perspective Ole would represent continuity, which is why I reckon if you polled United fans about it, the overwhelming majority would probably take Ole as their first choice IF he had the appropriate level of experience, as per the comments others have made above.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

:lol:

Lastwolf

You can laugh but Fergie took Aberdeen to the Cup Winners Cup back when people actually gave a shit about that, ofc Molde to CL winners is a dramatic leap again from that but weird shit happens sometimes.

stand_free

Think he'll stick around with Molde for next year's CL campaign and see how they get on. I'd like to see him in the Bundesliga or the Eredivisie first before coming to England, if he can get success with an Ajax a PSV or a Schalke for example then that would set him up nicely for a move back here.

Certainly retaining the title with Molde shows that it wasn't just a flash in the pan.

King_Eric

They've had some financial backing - I don't believe anything massive, like - but enough for them to compete. He didn't for example take a shit team and make them brilliant but had the backing to bring some players in to make them competitive.

Winning the league twice is a pretty big feat with Molde I'd say doing it once can be put down to other things but retaining it shows a lot.
He is brilliant, no doot aboot it. He's had backing, both financially but more importantly he has been trusted. He's been allowed to transform Molde, not just on the pitch, but the staff etc, he's even been hands on in finding their new chef! And his status in Molde and Norway has given him a helpful automatic authority. Eirik Raude is the resident Molde man, he can tell you more about it.

The financial backing he's had has been slightly exaggerated. Transfer wise they've probably sold for more than they've bought the last couple of years. (Or?) But I suppose the reason they have been able to be the first team since 1984 to defend the title except for Rosenborg, is that they didn't (have to) sell their star players. And if they have to this time, they'll probably replace them well. Another reason, of course, is that Solskjær has made sure that they haven't been complacent.

Molde haven't really bought stars like Rosenborg always do (and even Vålerenga). (Well, after the first trophy, and getting into Europe, they did: Hovland, PPD and Hussain may be classified as such. But the signings before their first trophy weren't stars.) They've bought youth and have a great mixture of old, young and those in the middle. However, maybe Solskjær's most impressing feature is his character. He's always so calm and sporting. Even Rosenborg (Molde's arch rivals) fans will struggle to say a bad word about him. He's managed to transform the entire Molde football club, instilling great calmness (despite having the most annoyingly wasteful forwards in the world of football), hunger and professionalism into it.

I really think he is special. Probably even more so as a manager than as a player. (And my ideal scenario would be that the football god himself stays in charge for another couple of seasons before Solskjær comes straight from Molde, where he's made Molde into the new Rosenborg.)
Theres been many manager for the last 10 years or so who have had the same kind of backing at Molde without coming close to what he has achieved. Winning once might have been considered a fluke because of the relatively unstable Norwegian League, but twice in a row is quite an achievement. You couldnt take any manager and expect results just because of the financial backing.

Sounds good! Thanks for the info.
I'm wondering what he'll do next. I'd assume quite a few clubs in the European subtop might be in for him now.