Solskjaer's contract

ShinjiNinja26

He’s on a 3yr deal and we should stick to that unless he wins us a major trophy. Next season is the make or break one for Ole, time to deliver major silverware or start looking elsewhere and that’s on the basis we secure top 4 this season, which judging be our recent performances is far from certain, if we make to make top 4 now considering where we’ve sat in the league for most of the season then he should be sacked on the spot unless he wins the Europa league.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
First off, it would be churlish to suggest Ole deserves the sack while we are still in second position in the league. However it was definitely a mistake to give him the contract too soon with no track record at anywhere close to this level of club.

As a result we missed out on Pochettino, who I am absolutely convinced was chomping at the bit to become our manager and would have been an upgrade on Ole for sure. Don't care what any of the naysayers say, look at how Tottenham are faring under Mourinho with, if anything, a better squad. Sure Mourinho's best days are behind him, but while they were behind him he still got us into second place. We have a much better squad than Tottenham, perhaps minus their front three who are outstanding.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
First off, it would be churlish to suggest Ole deserves the sack while we are still in second position in the league. However it was definitely a mistake to give him the contract too soon with no track record at anywhere close to this level of club.

As a result we missed out on Pochettino, who I am absolutely convinced was chomping at the bit to become our manager and would have been an upgrade on Ole for sure. Don't care what any of the naysayers say, look at how Tottenham are faring under Mourinho with, if anything, a better squad. Sure Mourinho's best days are behind him, but while they were behind him he still got us into second place. We have a much better squad than Tottenham, perhaps minus their front three who are outstanding.
Spurs do not have a better squad than us. No chance. They’ve got Kane and Son who are in their prime and world class. Beyond that we are better than them man for man.

SirAF

Ageist

I ain't telling you ma friend.

I'm anonymous on here... like everyone else.
That is, of course, your prerogative but then it becomes a bit unfair to pull a «I‘ve written a book on this subject so I know better than you but I ain’t telling».

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Spurs do not have a better squad than us. No chance. They’ve got Kane and Son who are in their prime and world class. Beyond that we are better than them man for man.
Yes I agree. I said 'we have a much better squad than Tottenham except for possibly their front three. I meant that Mourinho has a better Tottenham squad than Pochettino did.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Really? Lloris is better than DDG, Alderweireld and Hojbjerg are better than Maguire and while I'm no a huge Bale fan, we don't have any wingers at all - and I came up with those without even thinking hard

Lappen

He's doing a stellar job for the board because he doesn't complain publicly and all they want is CL football, everything else is a bonus.

Some people just can't differentiate their feelings between Ole the player and Ole the manager.
And do you think any other manager would keep the job and doing it differently?

I believe thats the two big things you need to be able to handle if you want to be a Man Utd manager. I certainly don't like it, but its a reality.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We've already missed out on Poch (not sure, I'm too worried about that but all the stories were he was the board's favourite if Ole had to be sacked). Let's not miss out on Allegri, who has a track record of success at home and in europe...

Judas

Open to offers
We've already missed out on Poch (not sure, I'm too worried about that but all the stories were he was the board's favourite if Ole had to be sacked). Let's not miss out on Allegri, who has a track record of success at home and in europe...
Do you literally never want to enjoy watching us again? Allegri. Jesus christ, a little bit of sick enters my mouth every time he's brought up. Some on here seem completely against looking forward. Don't you want to be excited to watch us? Or is it simply about grinding out defensive joyless wins?

bsCallout

Please, let's 'miss out' on Allegri.

Only manager I'd be interested in seeing at the moment is Nagelsmann.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
And do you think any other manager would keep the job and doing it differently?

I believe thats the two big things you need to be able to handle if you want to be a Man Utd manager. I certainly don't like it, but its a reality.
I would like us to have a manager to exceeds the bare minimum aim of top 4 football and play decent football instead of the shit we play most of the time.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Looking forward to the meltdown when Ole gets a 5 year contract :)

wolvored

Were now third and unless a miracle happens today wont be going back second. West Ham will be another tough game next week and wouldn't like to call it. I still think we will end up top 4 and he will keep his job, but hope deadwood Woodward doesn't give him a new contract for this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

We’re third, btw. A loss today and a Chelsea win and they’re a point behind us. Everton are 5 behind us with a game in hand.

We’ve gone from being comfortably second to a very messy top 4 fight.

Cloud7

I want Ole out more than most, but if the choice is between him and Allegri I genuinely rather keep Ole. I can't handle another defensive manager.

Skills

Snitch
I want Ole out more than most, but if the choice is between him and Allegri I genuinely rather keep Ole. I can't handle another defensive manager.
Its not as if Ole is anything but a defensive manager?

red4ever 79

Some context is needed here because the argument for Ole seems to be ' as long as we are showing progression' he should have a new contract
Since SAF this has been our points total after 27 games:

2020/2021 51 points
2019/2020 41 points
2018/2019 52 points - Ole took over here midway through the season
2017/2018 56 points
2016/2017 52 points
2015/2016 44 points
2014/2015 50 points
2013/2014 45 points

So we are better than last season, but last season was the worst return after 27 games since the great man departed so we cannot use that as a barometer to ascertain whether he has improved us. As you can see there is no real progression here under Ole. It is a very similar return as under previous managers. He has also failed to deliver any trophies which other manager also achieved. As to whether Ole should receive a new contract it is a question like this for the board

Is the objective for Man Utd to win the EPL? If the answer is yes then Ole should not be offered a new contract
Is the objective for Man Utd to achieve top 4? If the answer is yes then Ole will be offered a new deal.

90 + 5min

Why would anyone hate Ole and why would anyone be jealous?
Ole is a lovely bloke and a United legend. People expressing concerns about his coaching ability and tactics doesn’t mean they hate him. I personally never wanted him as full time United coach, I don’t think he has the ability to turn us into serial winners. We just have become a team that has a purple patch every now and then, then reverts back to an overly cautious team that looks like the coaching team have zero game plan. I’d say there are a few coaches out there who’d get better performances out of our players, all United fans simply want good football and a team that seriously challenges for major honours. That does not make them haters nor jealous of Ole. They’re simply fans who want to best for their team..
I would like you to take look at old sack or No sack thread. Or just watch every matchday thread where we don’t lead 1-0 after 5 min. I don’t mind criticism and he need to be criticized when it is right. But there are people that don’t look further then hate just because Solskjaer isn’t a ”name” or isn’t cool enough.

Roboc7

No.

I am telling you that the manager's position won't be considered due to fecking eejits on an internet forum.

The United players are delighted with Ole.

The United board are delighted with Ole.

The match-going fans are delighted with Ole.

Yet you think Ed Woodward might consider sacking Ole because guys called 'Litch' or 'Mainaldo' on a internet forum aren't happy?

Ha ha. FFS. Give me a break.

Solskjaer is gonna be our manager for years. He is doing a stellar job.

Only the shortsighted can't see it.
So not only do you know all the opinions of all these people, they all have the same one and it’s the same as yours?. That definitely sounds like something you haven’t just made up.

Cloud7

Its not as if Ole is anything but a defensive manager?
I wouldn't say Ole is a defensive manager because we don't really set up in a defensively solid way either. I'm not exactly sure what type of manager Ole is or what he really tries to accomplish, but I know what Allegri is and what he tries to do and I don't want any part of that at United. There are other managerial options out there besides the two of them. We have people being paid millions to assess and scout these things.

90 + 5min

Some context is needed here because the argument for Ole seems to be ' as long as we are showing progression' he should have a new contract
Since SAF this has been our points total after 27 games:

2020/2021 51 points
2019/2020 41 points
2018/2019 52 points - Ole took over here midway through the season
2017/2018 56 points
2016/2017 52 points
2015/2016 44 points
2014/2015 50 points
2013/2014 45 points

So we are better than last season, but last season was the worst return after 27 games since the great man departed so we cannot use that as a barometer to ascertain whether he has improved us. As you can see there is no real progression here under Ole. It is a very similar return as under previous managers. He has also failed to deliver any trophies which other manager also achieved. As to whether Ole should receive a new contract it is a question like this for the board

Is the objective for Man Utd to win the EPL? If the answer is yes then Ole should not be offered a new contract
Is the objective for Man Utd to achieve top 4? If the answer is yes then Ole will be offered a new deal.
Points are not important. You can have 95 and lose league. And you can get 75 and win. League quality is different from year to year. It is overall performance that counts. I rather win league with 75 points then coming second with 95. But thats just me.

AgentSmith

Dude, I've written a book on Alex Ferguson's Manchester United...
There is zero chance, from the awful writing style and consistent errors within your posts, that you have the literary capability to write a book. Let alone get it published.

red4ever 79

Points are not important. You can have 95 and lose league. And you can get 75 and win. League quality is different from year to year. It is overall performance that counts. I rather win league with 75 points then coming second with 95. But thats just me.
That's fine we can look at other statistics after 27 games for comparison. He clearly hasnt improved us. His stats are almost the same as the season in which he took over midway. Also people slated Jose for being negative in matches, however Ole sets us up with 2 holding midfielders every game. Even when we play at home to the shite sides. As I said it really depends what the board's expectations are for Utd. Ole is never going to lead us to a league title. If we want to become like an Arsenal under Wenger then he is our man.
2020/2021
Goals for: 53
Goals against: 32
Clean sheets: 10

2019/2020
Goals for: 41
Goals against: 29
Clean sheets: 7

2018/2019
Goals for: 52
Goals against: 35

2017/2018
Goals for: 51
Goals against: 19
Clean sheets: 15

AgentSmith

You'd only win the league once in the history of the Premier League with 75 points.

The team that gets 95 points, but come second, would win the league 24 times out of the 28 seasons.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think people are missing the point with this issue. The club are going to renew his contract because it would be ridiculous not to. Its not about making a long term 'this is our guy' statement. Its because going into a new season with a manager on his last year sends out all kinds of messages, none of which are of any benefit to the team or the club.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Dude, I've written a book on Alex Ferguson's Manchester United...
And that answers my question how? What exactly has Ole done to deserve him even being mentioned in the same breath as SAF? Ole has taken over one of the richest clubs in the world (thanks to SAF) He has access to some of the best training facilities around (in comparison and thanks to SAF) he has a u23 team full of talent (thanks to SAF) These are SAFs legacies. In 10 years time if Ole builds on that then he will deserve his own legacies. Right now all he has done is bought and sold a few players some of whom don't even fit the style (?) he wants to play. I'll give him credit on steadying the ship because he is a good man manager and he did a good job on getting rid of the toxicity Mou left behind but as an actual manager he has so many flaws it really does piss me off when I continually see him being compared to Klopp, Pep and especially SAF.

90 + 5min

That's fine we can look at other statistics after 27 games for comparison. He clearly hasnt improved us. His stats are almost the same as the season in which he took over midway. Also people slated Jose for being negative in matches, however Ole sets us up with 2 holding midfielders every game. Even when we play at home to the shite sides. As I said it really depends what the board's expectations are for Utd. Ole is never going to lead us to a league title. If we want to become like an Arsenal under Wenger then he is our man.
2020/2021
Goals for: 53
Goals against: 32
Clean sheets: 10

2019/2020
Goals for: 41
Goals against: 29

2018/2019
Goals for: 52
Goals against: 35

2017/2018
Goals for: 51
Goals against: 19
Clean sheets: 15
Not improving? Both City and Liverpool have not improved this year. Neither few other top clubs. Does that mean that League is thougher to win or does that mean that ”top” managers are bad and every club should change them?

When it comes to statistic. You can find statistic for everything that you want. It is not strange. I can find stats that Solskjaer is best manager ever. I can find stats that he is worst.

When it comes tactics, I rather play with 2 holding midfielders. You can say Liverpool play with 3. City 2. Pretty much everybody plays with 2. It is about giving team as a whole a balance. Play with one and you Will see how many goals we would have against.

You'd only win the league once in the history of the Premier League with 75 points.

The team that gets 95 points, but come second, would win the league 24 times out of the 28 seasons.
Still, I would rather win league with 75 instead of coming second with 95. You are just making my point that every season is different.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
We’re third, btw. A loss today and a Chelsea win and they’re a point behind us. Everton are 5 behind us with a game in hand.

We’ve gone from being comfortably second to a very messy top 4 fight.
Good point noted, but i'm basically agreeing with you anyway. I don't think Ole is the optimum appointment. I think it's hard to argue he should be sacked given that he's arguably faring better than or at least as well as all appointments post SAF, but should we have gone for an upgrade? Of course we should. It's a no-brainer for one of the biggest clubs in the world. If the board had any ambition they would be after Nagelsmann now.

AgentSmith

Not improving? Both City and Liverpool have not improved this year. Neither few other top clubs. Does that mean that League is thougher to win or does that mean that ”top” managers are bad and every club should change them?

When it comes to statistic. You can find statistic for everything that you want. It is not strange. I can find stats that Solskjaer is best manager ever. I can find stats that he is worst.

When it comes tactics, I rather play with 2 holding midfielders. You can say Liverpool play with 3. City 2. Pretty much everybody plays with 2. It is about giving team as a whole a balance. Play with one and you Will see how many goals we would have against.

Still, I would rather win league with 75 instead of coming second with 95. You are just making my point that every season is different.
How have City not improved this season? What statistics show Ole is the best manager ever?

My point is that if you're content with a team that gets 75 points you most likely won't ever win the league. Given you have to go back 24 years for that to happen.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I would like you to take look at old sack or No sack thread. Or just watch every matchday thread where we don’t lead 1-0 after 5 min. I don’t mind criticism and he need to be criticized when it is right. But there are people that don’t look further then hate just because Solskjaer isn’t a ”name” or isn’t cool enough.
And because they spend every single waking hour playing FIFA or Football Manager don't forget :lol:

Manncunian

Proper United fans are in full support of Ole.

I don't know one match-going fan who isn't anything but super excited about what is going on behind the scenes at our football club.

The only folk saying Ole is doing a bad job are guys on internet forums with silly usernames who demand instant success. But, sure, their opinion doesn't count...
I’m a match going fan and you’ve never spoken to me.

Do you speak to all match going fans on WhatsApp? Or perhaps just at the games? Even though none of us have been to a match for almost a year now.

Very bizarre statement.

One is calling huge BS on most of your comments, including your supposed published biography of Sir Alex Ferguson.

90 + 5min

How have City not improved this season? What statistics show Ole is the best manager ever?

My point is that if you're content with a team that gets 75 points you most likely won't ever win the league. Given you have to go back 24 years for that to happen.
Just to take one example. ManCity 98 p two years ago. This year maximum 98 p if they win every game they have left. They will definitly have scored less goals then previous year when they scored over 100. Sack Guardiola for nt scoring over 100 goals. Last year people talked about Guardiola as a fraud wich is hillarious because he is brilliant manager. So you see, you can use statistic how you want wich is my point to the person who posted about statistics.

You are missing point. I was using 75 just because I wanted to make a point. I could have said that I rather win league with 60 p then coming 2nd with 110. Seasons are always different to eachother.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Saying City have not improved this year is just ridiculous.