Solskjaer's contract

crossy1686

Please just extend for a year. He has done a good job and deserves it but we give out some awful contracts over the last few years. A year on top of next year be smart as Ole will obviously accept and we don’t have a manger on 6 years which be expensive to get rid of
He'll get 2 to 3 years as standard, which is respectfully what he deserves. You can't sign players and put a team together when everyone knows the manager could be off at the end of the season. Some continuity is needed to build something and convince people you're building something.

lysglimt

Scout
Where's the insult fella?
It seems your go-to in every reply is to throw an accusation followed by a snooty comment then one of self importance.
Whilst still avoiding the initial question.

You do realise that in your 30 years of watching United there's only been one successful manager, and that you're basing your entire argument upon that?
Yet the current manager who is actually starting to change things for the better is deemed not good enough.

"4 years without a trophy"

How long did fergie go without one when he started? I'm not trying to compare ole with fergie but the fact remains that for the first 3½ to 4 years under fergie, we were utter dogshit a lot of the time, and had some shocking league finishes whilst eventually scraping past palace in the FA cup. 4 years. Oles been in the job just over 2.

So let's say, that by 88/89 almost 4 years without a trophy, pretty dire football, a team in transition and no league titles for 20+ years, the manager is considered 'not good enough to get us back to the top of world football' by a section of fans and is sacked, then what?

I'm not saying Ole is the Messiah, or comparable to fergie, but he's doing a better job than the last 3 mugs whilst fixing the absolute shitshow that the sulky one left behind.

I believe he's earned an extended contract and the right to finish what he's started. If anything his job is even harder due to the competitiveness in the league (aside from the oil whores) and the total clownshow upstairs.

Now, if you don't have any answers as to what should be done to solve the issues at United, in what way are you qualified to decide whether the manager is good enough or not?

You could at least offer a better argument than "he's not good enough" or that you've been watching United for 30 years.
I've been watching Sesame Street since I was a child, it doesn't make me Jim Henson.
Oh there are plenty of Muppets in here :)

Gasolin

Thanks to Ole for churning out the deadwood, adding some sort of culture and competition back into the squad and potentially landing a champions league spot 2 years in a row.

However, I don't believe he is the manager to take us to the next level. Every club needs a fixer and Ole did this as Lampard did this at Chelsea. I cannot help but think what this team could achieve with proper coaches and a manager who knows how to change up a game when we are average. I feel Ole has no plan B, he hopes for a change in luck. Its worked this season but many others have faltered.
No plan B, but you can get 25 pts from a losing position? The best in the league, nonetheless? Haha. This is a bit too much... he does have plan B. He didn't always have the personal for it but he always adapt then.

Gasolin

If he wins the Europea it will be renewed straight away, 2nd place might might do it too.

If not, it might be extended for a year anyway
We will extend for 3 years because we need to show faith in the plan to convince players. It's something that matters.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wasting huge amounts on transfer fees, agent fees, players’ wages, paying players off when trying to get rid of their huge contracts, debt/interest, dividends, ... but hey, who knew paying Ole a couple of millions more per year is the one thing which will really hold us back financially.

Mickson

Wasting huge amounts on transfer fees, agent fees, players’ wages, paying players off when trying to get rid of their huge contracts, debt/interest, dividends, ... but hey, who knew paying Ole a couple of millions more per year is the one thing which will really hold us back financially.
Just because something is wrong, doesn't make the other thing right. Surely United should strive after not making bad decisions.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Just because something is wrong, doesn't make the other thing right. Surely United should strive after not making bad decisions.
A couple of millions more or less for a manager who is meeting his targets is far from making a bad decision and not worth so much discussion. If fans want the club to save some millions in wages they would be better off discussing how to get a bit part player like Mata on significantly lower wages, etc.

MrBest

No plan B, but you can get 25 pts from a losing position? The best in the league, nonetheless? Haha. This is a bit too much... he does have plan B. He didn't always have the personal for it but he always adapt then.
What is his plan b? In fact, what was his plan b yesterday against Brighton? You cannot dismiss my comment without providing an opinion or evidence of what you have seen.

We played the same the entire game, we won because we got a lucky break and then the team decided they wanted to play, not because Ole changed the system or made a sub. James came on because Rashford was carrying a knock, DVB/Mctominay came on because Cavani/Pogba are clearly not match fit.

We have seen many games this season where we have played the same an entire 90 mins when we are in a losing position or drawing. Like I said, I think Ole has done a great job stabilising us. For me, he is not the manager to take us that next step, I think he lacks a spark.

Gasolin

What is his plan b? In fact, what was his plan b yesterday against Brighton? You cannot dismiss my comment without providing an opinion or evidence of what you have seen.

We played the same the entire game, we won because we got a lucky break and then the team decided they wanted to play, not because Ole changed the system or made a sub. James came on because Rashford was carrying a knock, DVB/Mctominay came on because Cavani/Pogba are clearly not match fit.

We have seen many games this season where we have played the same an entire 90 mins when we are in a losing position or drawing. Like I said, I think Ole has done a great job stabilising us. For me, he is not the manager to take us that next step, I think he lacks a spark.
Ask for more intensity, because that was up when we came back. Then VdB with instructions to stretch the defense, as proven by the 2nd goal, where VdB does not touch the ball once but opens up the channel for Bruno, then goes back in the box to create space for Greenwood, etc...

Scott was in because we wanted to defend the score.

You should check who has the most changes in HT and translated that into come back wins when going a goal down. It's probably Ole this season.

But in general, you should also check how many times we have adapted to the players missing due to injuries, including why we went back 3 sometimes. It's always to adapt to the new situation. We have played all kind of formations, especially when due to injuries, we lacked creativity in the middle and we used AWB and Shaw for that, etc... now we are back to a more stable formation, but that's really related to available personnel. With more personnel, we will be able to stay even more stable. But please, check how many tactics we have used during last season and you will see how it's not a fixed tactics at all.

copen1945

He is a winner. His contract extension should demonstrate the stability needed to attract Haaland.

dave1956

Within the general discussion on his contact, just a few facts for consideration : Comparison with Sir Alex after both completing 138 games in charge.
Sir Alex's record : Wins 64 Draws 38 Defeats 36
Ole's record : Wins 77 Draws 31 Defeats 30
I make no comments, just thought it may add to the overall argument.

copen1945

He deserves what he deserves, which is an extension. It should be of a length that reflects what he has achieved. He has done a lot to bring stability back.