Solskjaer's contract

Amir

Whether you believe in him or not, I think most people would assume he would be here next season. Also, next season is being billed as the big test, the height of the three-year plan, etc.

At the moment, though, his contract runs until the end of next season alone, and if that doesn't change in the next few months it'll mean he'll be entering that season with his future totally unclear, which might add unwanted pressure and certainly question.

So how do we go about it? I don't believe any of our previous three managers were in the job during a final season of their contract. LVG was let go after the second of three years, Mourinho got an extention in January 2018 up until 2020. Are we going to extend Solskjaer's contract soon, maybe by a year, just to keep things quiet, or will we pile of the pressure fully by putting him in a situation in which he - and everyone else - know that if he doesn't deliver something big it'll be the end of the road?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’ll surely sign an extension as soon as CL football is secured. Seems to be the way we work.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Make a decision on his future in the middle of next season, dependent on his performance.

He's done a good job with us but I'm not at the point where I would extend his contract. I wouldn't sack him though.

pascell

I can't remember where I read it but they said Ole is being offered a new deal. We all know its going to happen as soon as that sweet, sweet CL money enters the clubs account.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think we'll wait until at least December before we look to give him an extension.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Make a decision on his future in the middle of next season, dependent on his performance.

He's done a good job with us but I'm not at the point where I would extend his contract. I wouldn't sack him though.
The club won't put the staff into a limbo situation where they are all on expiring contracts. Remember that it's not only Ole who goes if he's fired, many of his staff also goes. For the sake of the stability of the organization, the contract will be either extended this summer, a replacement will be announced and Ole fired, or Ole will be told that he is in fact leaving after next season regardless of results (this won't happen)

We're 12 points improved this season compared to last after 26 matches, with 4 less losses (8 in 19/20 vs 4 today)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
One year extension if he gets CL, to at least give the impression of stability.

It's not like he's on Mourinho money and we'll be paying £20 million if/when he shits the bed next season.

K Stand Knut

He’ll surely sign an extension as soon as CL football is secured. Seems to be the way we work.
I think this is more than likely. Unless there is some other plan that Ole will have executed by the time the contract runs out and we’ll line someone up to come in and build on the foundations that he has put in place

el3mel

Evaluate at the end of next season.

For God sake, please don't give him a stupid shiny new contract next Jan. Just wait for the end of next season before taking a decision on renewing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't think any players future is going to be dependent on Solskjaer staying or going tbh. With all due respect we're not talking Fergie or Guardiola here

Nothing should be done until this time next year once we see if we're still on the current upwards trajectory

Handré1990

Same. Pressure? Hah. If he can’t handle it he’s in the wrong place. Good enough for now, but that may not be the case around Christmas.

USREDEVIL

No way they're not extending. Probably on reasonable wages, does a good job of keeping things cool, and we're progressing in some ways including points and overall team quality. I reckon they'll extend him for 2 years after securing UCL as stated above. He deserves it. Been a rocky road but it's been a pretty good ride.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The club won't put the staff into a limbo situation where they are all on expiring contracts. Remember that it's not only Ole who goes if he's fired, many of his staff also goes. For the sake of the stability of the organization, the contract will be either extended this summer, a replacement will be announced and Ole fired, or Ole will be told that he is in fact leaving after next season regardless of results (this won't happen)
All options seem either harsh or undeserved.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
But what if United dont renew his contract even with a top 4 finish ?
Hmm.

SAFMUTD

The way we work is unless things completely go to shit then he has his job secured. It wouldnt surprise me if he's offered a new contract just by getting top 4.

Traub

One year extension if he gets CL, to at least give the impression of stability.

It's not like he's on Mourinho money and we'll be paying £20 million if/when he shits the bed next season.
Isn’t he one of the top earning managers in the league

Rajma

If we have any sense he should go in the summer, but since we became a top 4 club owners may be happy to extend given that Bruno doesn’t suffer any injury between now and the end of the season as top 4 is far from guaranteed imo.

2 man midfield

If we have any sense he should go in the summer, but since we became a top 4 club owners may be happy to extend given that Bruno doesn’t suffer any injury between now and the end of the season as top 4 is far from guaranteed imo.
It’d be a big upset to a settled camp to just oust Ole out of the blue. Who would you bring in for him?

clarkydaz

Who would Woodward replace him with anyway? It's another failure on his head, with no easy target replacement

Matriac

I've said it all season, he will get a 2 year extension (so another 3 year total) confirmed at the start of the summer at the latest.

As soon as we start looking to buy players this summer the manager will get involved in the process before finalizing, talking to the player about his plan and project for the coming years in order to convince the player to choose us (as most of our signings in the past years have credited Ole for doing).
He can't have only one year contract left then, that does not instill stability and believability to the project the players are supposed to sign on to.

The only other option than extension is to replace him this summer, and that looks very unlikely at this point.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There's almost no chance that he will go into next season without an extension. It sends entirely the wrong message to, well, everybody if a manager is into the last year.

Simple decision for the club. 2 year extension most likely with a clause involved that we can pay him off at a discount if ever a top 4 finish is not achieved.

K Stand Knut

Top 4 and no trophies shouldn't get him an extension. You can't win nothing in 2 and half years as Manchester United manager.
But like I said I think he will get an extension even if we miss top 4.
What a surprisingly crap take on the contract situation!!

Compounded by what is clearly absolute nonsense in the final sentence

Matriac

Top 7 or 8 I think
If I remember correctly he was Top 3 when he signed for us, but half of what Mou had been making. (And top 3 was without Mou since he was unemployed).

Since then several managers have gotten bumper contracts and some "new" (like Mou) has come (back) into the league.

I believe with an extension Ole will be back in top 4. The job demands a lot and deserves comparable salary with your colleagues.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What a surprisingly crap take on the contract situation!!

Compounded by what is clearly absolute nonsense in the final sentence
What are you on about?

I don't think top 4 should automatically guarantee a contract extension specially if you haven't won any trophies in 2 seasons.

Having said that I feel that the Glazers will offer him an extension even if he might not make top 4, as they have many times said that he is here for the long run.

What part is crap and what part is nonsense?

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think a one year extension if he cements top 4 is fine. Can see it being longer if he wins a cup, but best to treat with caution for the time being.

Ole being loyal to the club is a factor too, they probably know he's not going to be enticed to anywhere else.

Eriku

Hahahahaha. Jesus wept he took over a week before Xmas and still nearly rescued top 4 from miles behind.
:lol: exactly. Us nearly getting top four that season was a miracle considering where we started. Incredible that someone would try to use that as a stick to beat him with.

2 man midfield

Hahahahaha. Jesus wept he took over a week before Xmas and still nearly rescued top 4 from miles behind.
I’m not saying he should have been sacked, far from it. He’d only been in the job 2 months.