Solskjaer's contract

adityaspatil

Mental. Given his managerial track record, you'd think he wouldn't be able to demand that much.

Still, if anyone is gonna rinse the Glazers, I suppose Solskjaer is a good pick.
It's not all about track record. Man Utd is bigger & much larger than any other premier league teams.
Ole's job was not just getting into champions league & winning trophies.
He was bought in to clean the club bottom up, revamp the youth system, change the dressing room mentality, bring in quality players, develop the youth & most of all bring back the man Utd culture into the club. Also, he brought in ex players as coaches at various level.

Anyone who manages Man Utd will be one of the top earners it goes without saying. Most fans are blind towards the progress that the club in large has made under Ole.

Tarrou

I'm happy with Ole at the helm, and think he's done a very solid job thus far. But I don't see much point in giving him the contract just yet.

We've gradually improved but we're still not there yet. If our form took a nose-dive next season we'd all be wondering where we're heading after three years under Ole. Lets see a strong finish to the season and a good start to next one and take it from there.

hobbers

No real risk of losing him to something else
That should be the crux of it if Woodward and co had any sort of football nous. Or just common sense.

No other club of our stature is remotely interested in Ole, and he doesn't need Mourinho-level wages or long-term security to motivate himself to be a successful manager for United. So offer him a deal in line with his achievements. If we finish this season securing top four but with no real improvement points-wise on the last, then he deserves a 12 month extension beyond next season on the same terms, still dependent on securing CL football. And keep going like that.

If we win a major title, that's when you start thinking about offering more than a 12 month extension.

RashyForPM

Give him until the end of this season of course. Then, if we get 2nd-3rd and a trophy, keep him and back him in the summer with new signings to help us fight for the title. Otherwise, if we scrape 4th from this position with no trophies (or don’t even make top 4), then he has to go in the summer. Pay as much as possible to get Nagelsmann in (Potter if not) and entrust him with a 5 year contract to let him implement whatever he wants, and let the players know we won’t be sacking him.

meamth

Next season is the real high expectation season.

All players should matured enough to fight for the title, and without Ole at the helm, I wouldn't want the players to feel settled again.\
Keep him for another season.

jackal&hyde

You can not go in to a new season with the manager on his last year. It reeks of instability and that will affect all players plus potential new signings; it would be the definition of setting a manager up to fail. One year extension would be fair imo. and more then that, necessary.

red_de_pologne

We cant afford another manager, simple as. Ole will work with 3rd choice targets, for half the positions he wanted to strenghten. If he gets top 4 on top of that, the board is more than content.

Eriku

Do excuse me if it wasn’t meant that way, but you responded to the claim that nobody’s survived a season where we didn’t get a CL spot that Ole did in 18-19... technically you’re right, but he took over half way through a season where we were at our lowest ebb in ages.

It’s making it out that Ole’s had preferential treatment for failing to get ECL when in fact he did a remarkable job to even get us in with a shout.

Skills

Snitch
You can not go in to a new season with the manager on his last year. It reeks of instability and that will affect all players plus potential new signings; it would be the definition of setting a manager up to fail. One year extension would be fair imo. and more then that, necessary.
Heynckes won a treble in the last year of his contract with his replacement announced halfway through. Zidane also won a CL in 17/18 in the last year of his contract. Makes feck all difference.

I'd say it sends exactly the right message to the players. That the club expects the manager to start delivering and if he isn't the club will get the players a manager who will deliver instead. To any ambitious player looking to join Man Utd this summer, Solskjaer lasting 2.5 years trophyless should be a big concern. The club needs to alleviate that concern by giving the message that he'll be chopped if he doesn't achieve trophies/titles soon.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Heynckes won a treble in the last year of his contract with his replacement announced halfway through. Makes feck all difference.

I'd say it sends exactly the right message to the players. That the club expects the manager to start delivering and if he isn't the club will get the players a manager who will deliver instead. To any ambitious player looking to join Man Utd this summer, Solskjaer lasting 2.5 years trophyless should be a big concern. The club needs to alleviate that concern by giving the message that he'll be chopped if he doesn't achieve trophies/titles soon.
:lol::houllier:

We are nowhere near as good as that Bayren team(They reached a Champion League final and lost to a insanely lucky Chelsea team before winning a treble) and Heyneckes replacement was Pep.

el3mel

New signings don't sign for the manager. They sign for the club.

Wait till the end of next season before thinking about renewing his contract. As others said, there's no risk of losing him anyway. Handling stupid contracts way earlier than we should have been a problem for us under Woodward.

Skills

Snitch
:lol::houllier:

We are nowhere near as good as that Bayren team(They reached a Champion League final and lost to a insanely lucky Chelsea team before winning a treble) and Heyneckes replacement was Pep.
So? And Solskjaer isn't a 1/3 of the manager Heynckes was.

Point still stands, going into the last year of a a managers contract makes no difference.

jackal&hyde

New signings don't sign for the manager. They sign for the club.

Wait till the end of next season before thinking about renewing his contract. As others said, there's no risk of losing him anyway. Handling stupid contracts way earlier than we should have been a problem for us under Woodward.
Players don't want instability and the risk of being seen as important to a plan when they sign only to be seen as unfit by another manager; you know this is true.

Regardless, a one year extension doesn't do anything other then create stability. If things go down hill United has no issue sacking a manager with one year left on his contract; especially when that contract is probably not at the size of what someone like Mourinho had. It's a win win IMO.

I know you don't think Ole is to great but that is not a reason to make the job even more difficult then it already is.

padzilla

Hipster
There are genuine questions still to be answered about Ole. Is he the man to lead us to the title again can he make this side a formidable force again or has he done what he was brought in to do and stabilised the club and make it a regular top four fixture again? Has he brought us as far as he can, is he the modern day Dave Sexton? I would think twice until the end of the season to see how we finish and if we can pick up a trophy or two? If we give him an extension and we end up outside the top four and crash out of the Europa and FA Cup then it will look really daft. I cannot see him leaving us in the meantime, it's his dream job after all.

padzilla

Hipster
Fergie had a rolling 12 month contract for years and years, it does you no harm if you're good enough.

Skills

Snitch
Then by that logic, would you only offer a 1 year contract to all our future managers?
I would. 2 year contract to start and 1 year extensions only.

Managers are absolute liabilities in football - it's cost us something in the region of £30-40m getting rid of the last 3 we've had. You can't treat them like footballers - even Jesse Lingard who's done feck all for the last 2 years, will fetch us something like 20m this summer.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Do excuse me if it wasn’t meant that way, but you responded to the claim that nobody’s survived a season where we didn’t get a CL spot that Ole did in 18-19... technically you’re right, but he took over half way through a season where we were at our lowest ebb in ages.

It’s making it out that Ole’s had preferential treatment for failing to get ECL when in fact he did a remarkable job to even get us in with a shout.
I’m not making out anything :confused:

I think this site needs a new tag line which displays whether you’re Ole in or out. Seems like you get attacked in every thread now for being one or the other, even if your post hasn’t actually alluded to either one.

OmarUnited4ever

My hope is that the Board do a fair assessment of where we will be by the end of this season, Ole will have had 2 full seasons and 2 summers of transfers, and it is evident that the team has progressed under his stewardship. (personnel improvement in the squad and better league position so far are the highlights of improvement under Ole).

if he secures top 4 positions and win Europa League or FA Cup, or at least reaches a final, then i think it is fair to hand him a new contract, but it should come with different expectations, such as a sustained title challenge at minimum(winning EPL would be a bonus), also another expectation is to reach CL quarterfinals stage as minimum (crashing from the group stage is not acceptable)

padzilla

Hipster

Managers are absolute liabilities in football - it's cost us something in the region of £30-40m getting rid of the last 3 we've had. You can't treat them like footballers - even Jesse Lingard who's done feck all for the last 2 years, will fetch us something like 20m this summer.
Agreed completely, the only fear would be if Manager X is hugely successful then other clubs will be able to get them much easier than would be the case if they were on a longer term contract. But giving managers who there are huge doubts about like Moyes and Ole long term contracts, when they've yet to win anything, is a hugely risky strategy. Plus, as you mentioned, there is no resale value so it's all money if it goes tits up and you have to give Manager X full pay for the remaining years of his contract, even though he's been shit, which can amount to tens of millions in many cases.

The Siege

There are very broadly two kinds of top managers - one who needs the best players to do their best to build a great team, and the second builds a system that gets average players to do their one or two special things well.

Now Moyes was not a thought through decision, so I'm going to leave him out of this. LVG was more in the second build, got a lot of stars he didn't know how to use, and inevitably failed because his system was too rigid. Jose was strongly in the first bracket, get the best possible players for lots of money and we'll figure the rest out.

Ole has been the only manager so far who has somewhat figured out being that second kind of manager. It's great for the owners, because he's showing that it has the same odds of success (no matter how mediocre) as Mourinho's spending spree. We are roughly a team capable of winning the Europa League and maybe one of the domestic cups again, after the end-of-Mourinho dip.

Coming to his contract, we'll likely renew it by the end of this season. His severance is not going to be astronomical, but I think he'll get the extension. Ole shutting up and working with what he has, has been key to financial stability during the COVID period. The brand value hasn't massively diluted in his time because there has been enough 'hope' around. So from the owner's perspective, until they find a manager that can 100000% build on Ole's project, with the same squad utilization tendencies but at a higher level of ability, I don't think they're going to rock this boat until CL football is under threat.

Renewing it in the middle of next season will only cause chaos. It creates a mix of uncertainty amongst players and the coaching stuff, and that is cancerous in its nature.

Sweet Square

So? And Solskjaer isn't a 1/3 of the manager Heynckes was.

Point still stands, going into the last year of a a managers contract makes no difference.
But it doesn't if you're trying to apply it onto the current United team. None of the factors are the same at all(Even you admit this).

It's just a very odd example to use imo.

el3mel

Players don't want instability and the risk of being seen as important to a plan when they sign only to be seen as unfit by another manager; you know this is true.

Regardless, a one year extension doesn't do anything other then create stability. If things go down hill United has no issue sacking a manager with one year left on his contract; especially when that contract is probably not at the size of what someone like Mourinho had. It's a win win IMO.

I know you don't think Ole is to great but that is not a reason to make the job even more difficult then it already is.
You are overrating the roles of managers for signing new players. It doesn't matter, they know managers come and go all the time, even if he gets a 10 year contract now it won't mean stability for any upcoming players because they all know in modern football a single bad run of results can see a manager sacked immediately.

MinGin

He should be extended, it's not easy to stay in current position when most competitors were spent more than us. And we are still unbeaten in League away games amazingly.

Net Spend
Our - 65m
Arsenal - 65m
Aston Villa - 95m
Chelsea - 189m
Everton - 70m
Leicester City - 8m
Liverpool - 39m
Man City - 116m
Tottenham - 97m

Eriku

I’m not making out anything :confused:

I think this site needs a new tag line which displays whether you’re Ole in or out. Seems like you get attacked in every thread now for being one or the other, even if your post hasn’t actually alluded to either one.
"Attacked", sure.

Saying that Ole survived not getting a CL spot in his first season is, like I said, technically true, but that’s all it is. Pointing that out is not an attack. Assuming you might have been implying a different standard for Ole than others seems to be a fair inference. No need to clutch your pearls if I’m wrong, I’m fine in accepting I may have read too much into it.

dal

He deserves a five year contract if he gets us top 3 in two consecutive seasons, the first manager to achieve this since Ferguson.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

You can give examples to prove players are liabilities too and to prove how great managers are.

K Stand Knut

What are you on about?

I don't think top 4 should automatically guarantee a contract extension specially if you haven't won any trophies in 2 seasons.

Having said that I feel that the Glazers will offer him an extension even if he might not make top 4, as they have many times said that he is here for the long run.

What part is crap and what part is nonsense?
If you think Ole is getting a new contract with no trophy and no top 4, you’re deluded.

We sacked LVG with a trophy because he didn’t get top 4.

The board are hardly going to announce to the media/world that Ole isn’t here for the long-term, are they?? That would be the same level of delusion as you.

If Ole doesn’t get top 4, he’ll be sacked. There is no doubt about that, IMO. Whether he gets a new contract for achieving top 4 is debatable

saivet

I don't agree with handing him a new contract, even if it is a 12 month extension in the name of stability.

Ole has done okay here, but we also have to assess how far we think he can take us. If making us a regular top 4 side is the peak of what he's able to do then we should move on and try to take it up a level when his contract expires.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Make a decision on his future in the middle of next season, dependent on his performance.

He's done a good job with us but I'm not at the point where I would extend his contract. I wouldn't sack him though.
Nothing more to add.

Skills

Snitch
Agreed completely, the only fear would be if Manager X is hugely successful then other clubs will be able to get them much easier than would be the case if they were on a longer term contract. But giving managers who there are huge doubts about like Moyes and Ole long term contracts, when they've yet to win anything, is a hugely risky strategy. Plus, as you mentioned, there is no resale value so it's all money if it goes tits up and you have to give Manager X full pay for the remaining years of his contract, even though he's been shit, which can amount to tens of millions in many cases.
Agreed though I'd argue if your manager wants to go there's nothing you can do about it - regardless of the contract situation. You can't keep a manager against his wishes at the club - like you might with a player.

padzilla

Hipster
Questions have to be asked why we would entertain the idea to extend his contract right now. We were top of the league a month ago and are now 15 points behind the leaders.

K Stand Knut

Give him until the end of this season of course. Then, if we get 2nd-3rd and a trophy, keep him and back him in the summer with new signings to help us fight for the title. Otherwise, if we scrape 4th from this position with no trophies (or don’t even make top 4), then he has to go in the summer. Pay as much as possible to get Nagelsmann in (Potter if not) and entrust him with a 5 year contract to let him implement whatever he wants, and let the players know we won’t be sacking him.
I presume you mean Harry??

I genuinely cannot believe that anybody would suggest Graham Potter as a replacement for Ole. After all the grief that Ole gets for not being good/qualified enough.

El Zoido

He’ll sign in the summer, I’m sure of that. There are no concerns, everyone at the club is focused on the performance on the pitch and finishing the season strongly. The last thing we need is contract turmoil with the manager.

And despite what some people here think, he’s actually doing a fantastic job. Ed will be as eager to extend his contract as Ole will be to sign it.