Solskjaer's contract

lysglimt

Scout
Where's the insult fella?
It seems your go-to in every reply is to throw an accusation followed by a snooty comment then one of self importance.
Whilst still avoiding the initial question.

You do realise that in your 30 years of watching United there's only been one successful manager, and that you're basing your entire argument upon that?
Yet the current manager who is actually starting to change things for the better is deemed not good enough.

"4 years without a trophy"

How long did fergie go without one when he started? I'm not trying to compare ole with fergie but the fact remains that for the first 3½ to 4 years under fergie, we were utter dogshit a lot of the time, and had some shocking league finishes whilst eventually scraping past palace in the FA cup. 4 years. Oles been in the job just over 2.

So let's say, that by 88/89 almost 4 years without a trophy, pretty dire football, a team in transition and no league titles for 20+ years, the manager is considered 'not good enough to get us back to the top of world football' by a section of fans and is sacked, then what?

I'm not saying Ole is the Messiah, or comparable to fergie, but he's doing a better job than the last 3 mugs whilst fixing the absolute shitshow that the sulky one left behind.

I believe he's earned an extended contract and the right to finish what he's started. If anything his job is even harder due to the competitiveness in the league (aside from the oil whores) and the total clownshow upstairs.

Now, if you don't have any answers as to what should be done to solve the issues at United, in what way are you qualified to decide whether the manager is good enough or not?

You could at least offer a better argument than "he's not good enough" or that you've been watching United for 30 years.
I've been watching Sesame Street since I was a child, it doesn't make me Jim Henson.
Oh there are plenty of Muppets in here :)

Gasolin

Thanks to Ole for churning out the deadwood, adding some sort of culture and competition back into the squad and potentially landing a champions league spot 2 years in a row.

However, I don't believe he is the manager to take us to the next level. Every club needs a fixer and Ole did this as Lampard did this at Chelsea. I cannot help but think what this team could achieve with proper coaches and a manager who knows how to change up a game when we are average. I feel Ole has no plan B, he hopes for a change in luck. Its worked this season but many others have faltered.
No plan B, but you can get 25 pts from a losing position? The best in the league, nonetheless? Haha. This is a bit too much... he does have plan B. He didn't always have the personal for it but he always adapt then.

Gasolin

If he wins the Europea it will be renewed straight away, 2nd place might might do it too.

If not, it might be extended for a year anyway
We will extend for 3 years because we need to show faith in the plan to convince players. It's something that matters.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wasting huge amounts on transfer fees, agent fees, players’ wages, paying players off when trying to get rid of their huge contracts, debt/interest, dividends, ... but hey, who knew paying Ole a couple of millions more per year is the one thing which will really hold us back financially.

Mickson

Wasting huge amounts on transfer fees, agent fees, players’ wages, paying players off when trying to get rid of their huge contracts, debt/interest, dividends, ... but hey, who knew paying Ole a couple of millions more per year is the one thing which will really hold us back financially.
Just because something is wrong, doesn't make the other thing right. Surely United should strive after not making bad decisions.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Just because something is wrong, doesn't make the other thing right. Surely United should strive after not making bad decisions.
A couple of millions more or less for a manager who is meeting his targets is far from making a bad decision and not worth so much discussion. If fans want the club to save some millions in wages they would be better off discussing how to get a bit part player like Mata on significantly lower wages, etc.

MrBest

No plan B, but you can get 25 pts from a losing position? The best in the league, nonetheless? Haha. This is a bit too much... he does have plan B. He didn't always have the personal for it but he always adapt then.
What is his plan b? In fact, what was his plan b yesterday against Brighton? You cannot dismiss my comment without providing an opinion or evidence of what you have seen.

We played the same the entire game, we won because we got a lucky break and then the team decided they wanted to play, not because Ole changed the system or made a sub. James came on because Rashford was carrying a knock, DVB/Mctominay came on because Cavani/Pogba are clearly not match fit.

We have seen many games this season where we have played the same an entire 90 mins when we are in a losing position or drawing. Like I said, I think Ole has done a great job stabilising us. For me, he is not the manager to take us that next step, I think he lacks a spark.

Gasolin

What is his plan b? In fact, what was his plan b yesterday against Brighton? You cannot dismiss my comment without providing an opinion or evidence of what you have seen.

We played the same the entire game, we won because we got a lucky break and then the team decided they wanted to play, not because Ole changed the system or made a sub. James came on because Rashford was carrying a knock, DVB/Mctominay came on because Cavani/Pogba are clearly not match fit.

We have seen many games this season where we have played the same an entire 90 mins when we are in a losing position or drawing. Like I said, I think Ole has done a great job stabilising us. For me, he is not the manager to take us that next step, I think he lacks a spark.
Ask for more intensity, because that was up when we came back. Then VdB with instructions to stretch the defense, as proven by the 2nd goal, where VdB does not touch the ball once but opens up the channel for Bruno, then goes back in the box to create space for Greenwood, etc...

Scott was in because we wanted to defend the score.

You should check who has the most changes in HT and translated that into come back wins when going a goal down. It's probably Ole this season.

But in general, you should also check how many times we have adapted to the players missing due to injuries, including why we went back 3 sometimes. It's always to adapt to the new situation. We have played all kind of formations, especially when due to injuries, we lacked creativity in the middle and we used AWB and Shaw for that, etc... now we are back to a more stable formation, but that's really related to available personnel. With more personnel, we will be able to stay even more stable. But please, check how many tactics we have used during last season and you will see how it's not a fixed tactics at all.

copen1945

He is a winner. His contract extension should demonstrate the stability needed to attract Haaland.

dave1956

Within the general discussion on his contact, just a few facts for consideration : Comparison with Sir Alex after both completing 138 games in charge.
Sir Alex's record : Wins 64 Draws 38 Defeats 36
Ole's record : Wins 77 Draws 31 Defeats 30
I make no comments, just thought it may add to the overall argument.

copen1945

He deserves what he deserves, which is an extension. It should be of a length that reflects what he has achieved. He has done a lot to bring stability back.

dabeast

Being a newbie, I couldn't start a new thread but this Twitter thread has made me want to say the following:-

Steve Jobs once appeared in a PBS Documentary called "Triumph of the Nerds," and was brutal in his assessment of Microsoft, Bill Gates and Windows. Jobs said, “The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste.” Regardless of where one stands on Windows vs Mac, it is very clear that Ole's greatest quality is that he has, in fact, footballing taste. Upon being appointed manager, almost his first action was to show Marouane Fellaini the door. This wasn't as obvious as it seems now because Fellaini had been bought by Moyes but had been thought valuable enough by van Gaal and Mourinho, 2 world-class managers, to be at United for 5 and a half years with new contracts. He was a very useful weapon to be brought on late in games being chased when long balls could be played up to him and he did win us a few games. However, every thinking United fan knew that he was just not Man United quality and our hearts fell when we saw him on the team sheet. Ole took the hard decision based on his idea of what is good football and that idea dovetailed with the United base.

As time went on, this idea of Ole's footballing taste has become more and more clear in the players he let go. Lukaku is another great example of someone who was a marquee signing and actually had decent stats at United but, similarly to Fellaini, made us depressed because he was clearly not Man United quality. No amount of chest-thumping, pundits talking about how unstoppable he was could make up for every time we watched his second touch becoming a tackle. Ole took a loss on him, one that Inter has financially benefited from, and therefore could have been raked over the coals for it. Herrera was another, very limited player with useful shithousery, who Ole refused to push the boat out for a new contract. He got rid of Young (then club captain), Smalling, Sanchez and is about to get rid of Lingard (and I hope, Lindelof) because none of them were/are Man United quality. He has had the self-belief to trust his own sense of taste and make bets that have created space for the current squad.

Ole was not only a downsizer but also held on to the right players. Pogba was extremely unhappy under the last days of Mourinho and was playing that way. Ole could have sold him then and gotten a large amount of money since he had more than 2 years under contract remaining. Yet, he persevered and let Pogba gain the upper hand in future negotiations by running his contract down to, now, less than one year. Pogba is playing better, thriving in this team and has (finally) gotten a group around him that he can grace. He may or may not stay (I hope very much that he does) but the decision to keep him has, IMHO, already been justified in his performances and the dressing-room influence he has already had. Ole persevered with Luke Shaw, with Rashford, with Martial (who I believe will redeem himself this season but will have to leave because of Greenwood). He even has held onto players who weren't at the club, Sancho and Varane, by refusing to fill their spots with unsuitable replacements and choosing to wait for them even though the absence of those replacements probably hurt the team's chances.

I think most United fans are extremely excited about this season. Not because we have a good team (we do), not because we have suffered for a long time (we have) but because we have a team that oozes excitement. City and Chelsea have expensively accumulated, deep squads that might beat us to the title but United has more players (Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno, Pogba, Varane, Rashford, Cavani, Shaw, AWB's defence, sometimes Martial, with Amad, Elanga, Hannibal, Shoretire and MacNeil yet to come) that can get people off their seat than any other team in world football, including PSG (I wouldn't pay to see anyone there other than their front 3). Ole has restored the buccaneering Attack, Attack, Attack philosophy, the very idea of United not because he knew the future but because he has the same taste that United fans have that allowed him to take tough decisions like the ones outlined here. Ole has made tactical missteps (e.g. leaving Fred on in the 2nd CL group game against PSG) and has an unfortunate absence of silverware thus far but, for his taste and his bravery, the majority of United fans have Ole, and only Ole to thank.

Last edited:

DickDastardly

That's all nice and everything, but he needs to make the cut. A title of any kind in this or next season is a must.

No ifs or buts.

He needs to prove we can win something with him on the helm.

Amount of time we give him is open to discussion. Personally, i'd give him 24 months.

Pass and Move

Being a newbie, I couldn't start a new thread but this Twitter thread has made me want to say the following:-

Steve Jobs once appeared in a PBS Documentary called "Triumph of the Nerds," and was brutal in his assessment of Microsoft, Bill Gates and Windows. Jobs said, “The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste.” Regardless of where one stands on Windows vs Mac, it is very clear that Ole's greatest quality is that he has, in fact, footballing taste. Upon being appointed manager, almost his first action was to show Marouane Fellaini the door. This wasn't as obvious as it seems now because Fellaini had been bought by Moyes but had been thought valuable enough by van Gaal and Mourinho, 2 world-class managers, to be at United for 5 and a half years with new contracts. He was a very useful weapon to be brought on late in games being chased when long balls could be played up to him and he did win us a few games. However, every thinking United fan knew that he was just not Man United quality and our hearts fell when we saw him on the team sheet. Ole took the hard decision based on his idea of what is good football and that idea dovetailed with the United base.

As time went on, this idea of Ole's footballing taste has become more and more clear in the players he let go. Lukaku is another great example of someone who was a marquee signing and actually had decent stats at United but, similarly to Fellaini, made us depressed because he was clearly not Man United quality. No amount of chest-thumping, pundits talking about how unstoppable he was could make up for every time we watched his second touch becoming a tackle. Ole took a loss on him, one that Inter has financially benefited from, and therefore could have been raked over the coals for it. Herrera was another, very limited player with useful shithousery, who Ole refused to push the boat out for a new contract. He got rid of Young (then club captain), Smalling, Sanchez and is about to get rid of Lingard (and I hope, Lindelof) because none of them were/are Man United quality. He has had the self-belief to trust his own sense of taste and make bets that have created space for the current squad.

Ole was not only a downsizer but also held on to the right players. Pogba was extremely unhappy under the last days of Mourinho and was playing that way. Ole could have sold him then and gotten a large amount of money since he had more than 2 years under contract remaining. Yet, he persevered and let Pogba gain the upper hand in future negotiations by running his contract down to, now, less than one year. Pogba is playing better, thriving in this team and has (finally) gotten a group around him that he can grace. He may or may not stay (I hope very much that he does) but the decision to keep him has, IMHO, already been justified in his performances and the dressing-room influence he has already had. Ole persevered with Luke Shaw, with Rashford, with Martial (who I believe will redeem himself this season but will have to leave because of Greenwood). He even has held onto players who weren't at the club, Sancho and Varane, by refusing to fill their spots with unsuitable replacements and choosing to wait for them even though the absence of those replacements probably hurt the team's chances.

I think most United fans are extremely excited about this season. Not because we have a good team (we do), not because we have suffered for a long time (we have) but because we have a team that oozes excitement. City and Chelsea have expensively accumulated, deep squads that might beat us to the title but United has more players (Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno, Pogba, Varane, Rashford, Cavani, Shaw, AWB's defence, sometimes Martial, with Amad, Hannibal, Shoretire and MacNeil yet to come) that can get people off their seat than any other team in world football, including PSG (I wouldn't pay to see anyone there other than their front 3). Ole has restored the buccaneering Attack, Attack, Attack philosophy, the very idea of United not because he knew the future but because he has the same taste that United fans have that allowed him to take tough decisions like the ones outlined here. Ole has made tactical missteps (e.g. leaving Fred on in the 2nd CL group game against PSG) and has an unfortunate absence of silverware thus far but, for his taste and his bravery, the majority of United fans have Ole, and only Ole to thank.
Well said, I agree. His attitude, demeanor, and style of football suit our club and I'm sure the titles will come in good time.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The only thing missing by Ole is a trophy. Rivals are reluctant to give United any credit and the current lack of silverware just makes it easy for them (as well as the Ole Outers) to deride the team even though we have a team to rival anyone and are actually very good.

tomaldinho1

I think most United fans are extremely excited about this season. Not because we have a good team (we do), not because we have suffered for a long time (we have) but because we have a team that oozes excitement. City and Chelsea have expensively accumulated, deep squads that might beat us to the title but United has more players (Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno, Pogba, Varane, Rashford, Cavani, Shaw, AWB's defence, sometimes Martial, with Amad, Elanga, Hannibal, Shoretire and MacNeil yet to come) that can get people off their seat than any other team in world football, including PSG (I wouldn't pay to see anyone there other than their front 3). Ole has restored the buccaneering Attack, Attack, Attack philosophy, the very idea of United not because he knew the future but because he has the same taste that United fans have that allowed him to take tough decisions like the ones outlined here. Ole has made tactical missteps (e.g. leaving Fred on in the 2nd CL group game against PSG) and has an unfortunate absence of silverware thus far but, for his taste and his bravery, the majority of United fans have Ole, and only Ole to thank.
Lovely sentiment and Ole is likeable and I think deserves credit for transfers in general but we really aren’t all out attack (nor should we be if we want to win things) and trophies really are the make or break for a United manager given how long he’s been in the job now and the signings we’ve made. This season is everything, we’re 1 down and 37 to go. Fingers bloody crossed.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Ole has restored the buccaneering Attack, Attack, Attack philosophy, the very idea of United not because he knew the future but because he has the same taste that United fans have that allowed him to take tough decisions like the ones outlined here. Ole has made tactical missteps (e.g. leaving Fred on in the 2nd CL group game against PSG) and has an unfortunate absence of silverware thus far but, for his taste and his bravery, the majority of United fans have Ole, and only Ole to thank.
Re Fellaini and Lukaku - Solskjaer made the right decision in moving both of them on but anybody who was serious about producing an attractive football team would have done the same thing.

As for the attacking football stuff, there's no doubt Solskjaer wants his team to be known as a team that plays attacking football. In the big games though he often seems to go by Mourinho's win without the ball, sit back and counter approach. Horses for courses is how I'll describe his style .

Last edited:

dal

2 years he need to win a trophy.

However as long as he keeps getting top 3 he will not be gotten rid of as it’s good for business.

copen1945

The contract extension will prove to be the best signing of the summer transfer window. There have been stability and direction. Sancho and the rest would be wasted if managers come and go. I am loving the optimistic vibe of the season.

Erics_Collar

What a decision to tie this genius down to a new deal before Madrid, Barcelona or City swooped in for him.

"The best finisher at the club" - his words, not mine, shunted back out to the right because an unfit and underperforming Anthony Martial just HAD to be shoehorned into the team. It's not like there were no other options for RW on the bench that would allow Greenwood to continue up top. How about - oh I don't know - our 80 million signing who should be fresh as a daisy?

croadyman

Absolutely dreading him coming up against Tuchel with how they have looked since he took over, especially when you see the amount of times his substitutions and in game management constantly leave much to be desired

copen1945

He deserved the contract extension for what he has done so far, which is to bring stability to the club. He himself has said he is a not a coach, but the club still insists on surrounding him with inexperienced coaches. Excellent coaches are expensive, and the club is trying to save money in the wrong places again. The club is once again spending money on players, and the investment shouldn't ignore other areas.

croadyman

He deserved the contract extension for what he has done so far, which is to bring stability to the club. He himself has said he is a not a coach, but the club still insists on surrounding him with inexperienced coaches. Excellent coaches are expensive, and the club is trying to save money in the wrong places again. The club is once again spending money on players, and the investment shouldn't ignore other areas.
Well get proper coaches then not bloody Carrick & McKenna

ShinjiNinja26

Well get proper coaches then not bloody Carrick & McKenna
I’m amazed we haven’t offered René Meulensteen a return to his old coaching role, it seems a no brainer. He’s available and has said previously he’s more than happy to return to Utd as a coach, plus Rio said on one of his Podcasts that René was one of the best he’s worked with in terms of attacking patterns of play and just offensive coaching in general.

copen1945

I’m amazed we haven’t offered René Meulensteen a return to his old coaching role, it seems a no brainer. He’s available and has said previously he’s more than happy to return to Utd as a coach, plus Rio said on one of his Podcasts that René was one of the best he’s worked with in terms of attacking patterns of play and just offensive coaching in general.
Coaches don't need to be young and hip. Rene sounds really good, more now than ever. Solskjaer's loyalty with the players has served him and the club well. With the coaches, he needs to be more ruthless.

croadyman

Exactly so why won't he have the guts to accept they aren't good enough and he needs better alongside him

ShinjiNinja26

Exactly so why won't he have the guts to accept they aren't good enough and he needs better alongside him
Who knows. It’s not even like it’s a case of sacking Carrick or McKenna either, you can still have them in a coaching role while bringing in René as well. Unless there’s some personal issue between the pair we aren’t privy to.

E-mal

I dont understand, you believe Manutd are pinching on a few millions on coaches after investing hundreds of millions of pounds on players?
Mate give your head a wobble.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
he should be made to pay back every single cent the club has ever given him. woodward should then be able to march him naked around arndale whilst staunch united fans throw rotting fruit and vegetables at his ripped torso. his muscles rippling as each juicy bit of over ripe melon clashes against his flesh. he’ll let out a gentle moan with each thud of squishy squash and he’ll know why. he’ll know why.

Josh 76

I swear, half you lot would have sacked Fergie before he won his first title.
I remember clearly the dark days of 1989. It was awful. If Fergie was sacked, he probably would have deserved it. Sounds crazy.

el3mel

The contract was a mistake regardless of how we fare this season. We should have waited till Jan then assess the situation.