Solskjaer's interview with Neville

Irwin99

That pretty much nails Mandzukic as true then.
Should of got him in the summer. We've had success with older stop gap strikers over the years and it would have taken the heat off some of our younger players.

This looks like a situation of: 'yeah, we'll be fine with this squad, everything will be alright ' to ''oh s**t we really should have got him in the Summer. Roll on January'. It doesn't say a lot for the planning in place here especially when Ole said in the summer that he was happy with the squad and that there wouldn't be January additions.

People might argue that he couldn't know that Martial would be out for 2 months but again, that's basic squad planning and that's factoring an injury scenario for just one player.

Jibbs

There is definitely a tussle going on behind the scenes, with some power players clearly not happy with Ole. This interview was a PR for Ole to bring his PoV across.

My personal view is board and Ed think of Pogba as indispensable, they would do everything to retain him, even if he is not in Ole's long-term plans, and even if they have to sack Ole. Ole himself is not helping his cause either. I suspect a managerial change with Allegri coming in soon along with a couple of players in January.

Utdstar01

Neville: "What message have you got for the fans? At the moment, they're a little concerned with the position in the league and not necessarily the performances but the results."

Really? :lol::houllier:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
My personal view is board and Ed think of Pogba as indispensable, they would do everything to retain him, even if he is not in Ole's long-term plans, and even if they have to sack Ole.
I honestly believe they'd even side with Rashford over Ole, let alone Pogba.

Eric7C

Neville: "What message have you got for the fans? At the moment, they're a little concerned with the position in the league and not necessarily the performances but the results."

Neville: self appointed representative of United fans.
Also a tw*t.

reddevil702

So basically we just have to wait until we get the benefit of good luck. Interviews like this really just increase my frustration with everything going on at the moment. Ole talks about fine margins and certain shots that didn't end up in the back of the net, while at the same time there's plenty of times we've been the beneficiary. Just comes off as clueless and the same old generic bs.

"You want to have attacking football, but it also means defending - we haven't always attacked." Interesting how Ole has gone from this Manchester United, we attack and make teams adjust to our tactics, to now trying to excuse his lack of attacking.

Greck

There is definitely a tussle going on behind the scenes, with some power players clearly not happy with Ole. This interview was a PR for Ole to bring his PoV across.

My personal view is board and Ed think of Pogba as indispensable, they would do everything to retain him, even if he is not in Ole's long-term plans, and even if they have to sack Ole. Ole himself is not helping his cause either. I suspect a managerial change with Allegri coming in soon along with a couple of players in January.
Sounds a bit far fetched. Even conjecture is based on incomplete info. This just seems made up. Granted you did say it was only opinion. I just don't like how everything has to be about Pogba (who is often almost painted as the big baddie)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Zlatan wasn't prolific scorer too at young age, later he started to score many goals.
Yes. Our situation is just not ideal for something like this I think. We need lots of goals and we need them now.
Martial and Rashford suddenly transforming into prolific players will be a miracle

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He could have said absolutely anything and the usual suspects here would be critical of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol: Wtf

el3mel

Pogba is probably at a stage where he wants to leave regardless of which manager is coming.

settembrini

Why would you make any claims about how Ole sees fit to blood youngsters when our squad is so hobbled right now? Makes as much sense as claiming Ole is omitting Pogba by choice.
Solskjaer isn't playing players in multiple positions because of injuries but because he believes in it. That's why he continually makes comments such as the ones in this interview where he says that Rashford could play in four different attacking positions and Tuanzebe can play anywhere in defence plus in midfield. If he was to say that Rashford is a left winger who I am playing out of position due to injuries or Tuanzebe is a centre back who will only play other positions in an emegency I would be fine with that. But that's clearly not the case, hence his comments. You can also see this from our team selections when he often picks sides with the young players played out of position even when it makes the team look nonsensical. For example our recent draw against AZ when he picked a young left winger (James) to start as striker, a young #10 (Gomes) to start as left winger and a young striker (Greenwood) to start on the right. It's an obsession with versatility and developing players who are jacks of all trades, which has the negative consequence that they end up being the masters of none.

Kemizee

As much as I think Ole seems out of his depth I'm convinced he'll have atleast the whole campaign to put down his philosophy.
We need serious work to be done in January if United continue with him,though.
I don't like the word philosophy in football but I'm afraid he has none and is ridiculously out of his depth. If he had one, it would be noticeable by now. The fact that we need a season to see this tells me all I need to know about him.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
You really want to put yourself through 10 mins of "We are Manchester United" and "It was never going to be easy"?
Well to be fair to Ole, he's dead on with that, is he not? Especially the first of those two quotes, he showing the potential of a true visionary.

He'sRaldo

He could have said absolutely anything and the usual suspects here would be critical of it.
Yup, I agree. The crux of it is he isn't winning, so nothing he says matters.

Were he winning, these very same words would be received much more favourably.

UnitedChampionsAgain

So Solskjaer thinks we need more luck. How about some more bloody shots? 2 or 3 shots per game isn't going to win anything. That Scouse lot make more chances in the first ten minutes than we do in a month!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
In the Championship and 2 months in the Prem? Amr Zaki and Geovanni had similar fast starts, and Michael Ricketts and Marcus Stewart have been one season wonders.

He might just be amazing, but I'd rather wait and see to see where he is come the end of the season.
Yes in the Championship. Im not saying he is an excellent premier league striker.

Just that his goal record at Swansea isn't a reflection since they were a team that didn't score goals regardless

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Can these words be pinned to the forum somewhere, where people will always see it before going off on a silly illogical tirade?

Alabaster Codify7

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Can these words be pinned to the forum somewhere, where people will always see it before going off on a silly illogical tirade?

What a joke of a statement you are lauding.

Of course it'd be acceptable - if he was saying "I'm happy with the performances" if we were winning, he'd have every fecking right to be happy! He'd be winning! What berserk logic is this??!! We are not happy with the fact that our manager deems it acceptable to be losing and dropping points while playing like lukewarm dogshite! That is not something ANY manager should be satisfied with, let alone the manager of a supposedly big club!

Do you think SAF would be in front of the cameras defending what we've seen in recent times, from this squad? Christ no. He would be FURIOUS.

Eriku

Solskjaer isn't playing players in multiple positions because of injuries but because he believes in it. That's why he continually makes comments such as the ones in this interview where he says that Rashford could play in four different attacking positions and Tuanzebe can play anywhere in defence plus in midfield. If he was to say that Rashford is a left winger who I am playing out of position due to injuries or Tuanzebe is a centre back who will only play other positions in an emegency I would be fine with that. But that's clearly not the case, hence his comments. You can also see this from our team selections when he often picks sides with the young players played out of position even when it makes the team look nonsensical. For example our recent draw against AZ when he picked a young left winger (James) to start as striker, a young #10 (Gomes) to start as left winger and a young striker (Greenwood) to start on the right. It's an obsession with versatility and developing players who are jacks of all trades, which has the negative consequence that they end up being the masters of none.
I’ve not seen this interview, but it’s hardly radical to cultivate players’ abilities to play several positions. I didn’t see the AZ match, but I know that James has looked a bit rubbish on the right, whereas Greenwood has looked pretty decent, so I can see why Ole went for that solution.

I really don’t see the issue. The situation now means we crowbar some players into unfamiliar positions, and even if it persists to some extent after the injury crisis settles, it’s no different to what a lot of managers do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should of got him in the summer. We've had success with older stop gap strikers over the years and it would have taken the heat off some of our younger players.

This looks like a situation of: 'yeah, we'll be fine with this squad, everything will be alright ' to ''oh s**t we really should have got him in the Summer. Roll on January'. It doesn't say a lot for the planning in place here especially when Ole said in the summer that he was happy with the squad and that there wouldn't be January additions.

People might argue that he couldn't know that Martial would be out for 2 months but again, that's basic squad planning and that's factoring an injury scenario for just one player.
Honestly I think that’s exactly the scenario.

we clearly thought we’d make it to the Europa league matches fresh, then start to rotate with the youth players to give some rest and let them have some matches.

by January we can reinforce with some new legs and make a push until the summer.

it’s all obviously gone pear shaped, but it’ll be Interesting to see how we recover. I think the international break came just at the right time- liverpool next will light a fire in their bellies. Season version 1.2 is go from here.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We are just propaganda FC at the moment, so many tropes and cliches but very very little about tactical side of the game. It says something that in an interview where he spoke about 'character', 'desire', 'United DNA', 'attacking football' and loads of other non-sense, the moment question is asked as 'how do you beat Liverpool?', he responds with 'you've got to ride out their good moments' 'we've go quality players too' and 'we need to step up' :houllier:

Also, I hope now his apologists can shut the feck up about Woodward and the board handicapping him given he himself has admitted that he has the final say on transfers.

Out of his depth but we've known that for a while, don't even know when this misery will end given there's no obvious alternative to him out there.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If sky had the cojones they would of sent Jose to do the interview. What I would pay to see that.

El-Manos

That he was obliged to undertake as part of the managers public responsibilities.

Seriously, some of you who comment in this thread should be ashamed of yourselves. No really. It's baffling to me how you can sit and spew out so much vile hatred for someone you have never met, don't know, and my favorite part: Dont suggest a single thing yourselves. ALL you do is complain.

Just grow up and start acting like adults. It's fine that you might disagree with the way we play but at least try to be helpful about it. Or at least downright civil?

DDG, Pogba, AWB, Shaw, Martial, Greenwood, Dalot all out injured. Rashford is completely out of form.

Tell me, oh wise ones. How do you set up the team, what do you tell them to do, and who do you rely on to score the goals?

Rules)

A) You cant make stuff up. ie. be honest, you're not a truthseer
B) Explain why you think x person is key, and what is his role - Things to remember: Has he played in that position before this season? And did he do well?
C) What is your tactic to defeat Liverpool using the personel currently ready to play.

At least bother trying to answer. If the next thing you're going to do is go "BOOHOO AWFUL" - Travel to Jersusalem, they have a whole wall you can complain to.
Tell us how you really feel? Take a chill pill you freak

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Propaganda, Jose should have taken the interview, didn’t talk about tactical part :lol:

People think it’s some interrogation, fecking hell its a generic interview he should do as part of the contract agreement.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
I am not a fan of Jose bashing everyone but I don't like how deluded Ole sounds in his pressers either. Apparently everything is fine, he is very happy with everyone, we are 1 goal away from winning every match. Sounds utterly deluded like some of our fans.
It went from one extreme to another. Pinning your hope on Martial is madness imo. But who knows it may work.

MisterLupus

Well in everyone's defense - were he winning his words would have some actual substance to them but since he's not - at least some of it just comes off as rubbish (defending our recruitment strategy to be exact and his continued trust in our offensive lineup the rest I felt was fair enough really).

Last edited:

Ancient Of Days

If anyone wants to know what Ole's philosophy/preferred style of play is, he tells you point blank, if you watch his first full cardiff press conference.

A reporter asks him what his tactical/philosophical approach is and after failing to produce a cliche, he answers and basically says lots of running with players going forward into space.Nothing more.

So all those jokes about players being told to basically run for their pre match pep talk, are far closer to the truth than a lot of the fantasists who believe in their tiny minds that he's got some secret mastermind strategy that he is keeping up his sleeve

El-Manos

Annoyed at the repetetive crying and whining without any offer for a solution.
Will you cop on with your ridiculous ranting. The fact a single sentence, (which by the way, had no relation to you whatsoever) can spark such an aggressive reaction is absolutely mind-blowing & hysterical. Maybe it's time you leave the house and get a job. You might quit your moaning and ranting on a goddamn football forum then. Now leave me alone and feck off.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Will you cop on with your ridiculous ranting. The fact a single sentence, (which by the way, had no relation to you whatsoever) can spark such an aggressive reaction is absolutely mind-blowing & hysterical. Maybe it's time you leave the house and get a job. You might quit your moaning and ranting on a goddamn football forum then. Now leave me alone and feck off.
Why the personal insults though? Be an adult.

United Hobbit

He is starting to sound like Moyes did all this relentless positivity when actually I'd rather he came out and said I've identified x y and z and will be working on such and such to improve it

If he says I think we played well after we've lost to Liverpool 4-0...