Solskjaer's interview with Neville

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There is a difference between Ole the player and Ole the manager. He is only loved for one thing, even Gary should have realized that

Enigma_87

You know who
If it was Ole who didn´t buy a striker and a CM in the summer he should be sacked for that alone. But I still feel like we should hang in there and see what he will offer us after the next two transfer windows.
Even if he goes on and says it under a lie detector there will still be some who won't believe it and blame it on Woodward.

Jerome Holland

What Ole doesn't realize is that by taking ownership of the summer process he has absolved Woodward of any blame for that shambles and unwittingly laid the groundwork for his sacking. He is now the fall guy.
Perfect synopsis but also everything he says is contradictory, there is/was money we are 2 players light we knew what we were doing. So in essence he deliberately made his squad weaker to get the culture right.

Last edited by a moderator:

jem

No, he’s Ned Stark. Great striker but terrible at playing the game of thrones.
Edit: needs major help at the game of thrones. Maybe he’s more Bron- great striker but ending up in his management position in the end is just not working atm
Actually, I think the Ned Stark comparison is pretty good, although Ole's not as earnest. He's definitely not Bronn.

jem

Things to do when you can't give a honest answer.
1. Deflect
2. Change topic
3. Deflect
4. Deflect the question

It's only what every other person on the planet does. He isn't restricted to answering the question head on
And we'd all see right through that and have a go at him if he did that. The truth is he can't win - not in his media responsibilities nor, sadly it seems, on the pitch.

Alabaster Codify7

He keeps going on about the group giving everything, and their hard work and playing for the shirt. That's a bloody given at the top level if you want success. That needs to be married with quality which we don't have.

Has he once mentioned improving the play as a team? It's always about hard work.

Deluded.

Even more worrying is that this group 'are giving their all' and we're 3pts off relegation.

What does Ole envisage to be the current league status or the projected standing in the league if they WERE NOT giving their all?

And if this is them trying their best, surely they are nowhere near good enough to represent the most successful club in England, no?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No, he’s Ned Stark. Great striker but terrible at playing the game of thrones.
Edit: needs major help at the game of thrones. Maybe he’s more Bron- great striker but ending up in his management position in the end is just not working atm
Actually, I think the Ned Stark comparison is pretty good, although Ole's not as earnest. He's definitely not Bronn.
He is Stannis for me. Who didn't like Stannis in first couple of seasons? But after he lost his mind, he was not loved anymore.
We all loved Ole before he took this job. Now...not so much

jem

He is Stannis for me. Who didn't like Stannis in first couple of seasons? But after he lost his mind, he was not loved anymore.
We all loved Ole before he took this job. Now...not so much
Roy Keane is Stannis - there is no doubt about that.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Serious question to those of you who defend him. (maybe some of you know him directly or indirectly?)

Who's his mentor? Who helps him?

I'm curious because atm his behavior is so... out of touch. It's like he's in a bubble, unaware of why so many supporters criticize him. He don't understand. In earlier interviews he relate to them as a "vocal minority". In his world everything is on schedule and as planned. He talks but his answers isn't correlated to the context of our bad results and that the way we play is on a all time low. I honestly feel sorry for him. This is David Moyes all over again. Everybody understands the outcome except him.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Serious question to those of you who defend him. (maybe some of you know him directly or indirectly?)

Who's his mentor? Who helps him?

I'm curious because atm his behavior is so... out of touch. It's like he's in a bubble, unaware of why so many supporters criticize him. He don't understand. In earlier interviews he relate to them as a "vocal minority". In his world everything is on schedule and as planned. He talks but his answers isn't correlated to the context of our bad results and that the way we play is on a all time low. I honestly feel sorry for him. This is David Moyes all over again. Everybody understands the outcome except him.
It's not his fault and as long as a considerable portion of the fanbase chooses to still support him he can wave the flag of a brighter future all day long. He doesn't have anything else to sell to the fans besides this. If the performances improve, he'll obviously start talking about them. But since so many people are willing to keep lowering the bar and keep finding positives that exist only in the realm of subjective opinions (several transfer windows needed before we can see glimpses of good football, you always need to suffer first before you progress, he gets the United way, no other manager can do better etc.), he'll be safe and sound.

Has he ever been asked a question about his tactics or his subs? Like, ever? I can't remember. Someone persisting after the rather obvious "the lads tried their best, they played for the badge and the game could have gone either way" by asking "and what is your plan so that games against sides with a tenth of your wage budget don't always end up being such tight contests"? Mourinho was tormented about Pogba's role on the pitch until he snapped. His role hasn't changed since then, his attitude towards the club hasn't changed either. LvG was often ridiculed because of the terms "process" and "philosophy" and we were constantly being shown stats of our backwards/sideways passes. He went on a few rants until that infamous "fat man" presser. We have scored one non-penalty goal from inside the box in 49 days thus far. So, the bubble you're referring to perhaps isn't entirely one of Solskjaer's making. Others from within and around the club have created it and a big chunk of the fanbase are buying it (and for the good of the club i hope they are right and i'm wrong).

Anyway, i don't blame him for his chosen line of defence because the performances on the pitch don't help him much. And any manager who admits that he's failed is as good as gone. And no matter how much he loves the club, he won't walk away from his compensation. None of us would, let's be honest about it. The only thing that irritates me a bit is that in his attempt to dodge any kind of criticism, while trying to retain his positive aura, he sounds like these dudes in Manhattan who pay ten thousand grand p/m to join a private club so that they don't have to deal with the ordinary folk. Apparently, the rebuilding is obvious only to the select few who can see three years down the line the automatic boost from midtable to PL winners and any level of criticism is waved away as the unnecessary attention that United hogs. I don't want to relive Jose's antics all over again but i feel that we're way past the point when Ole's mantra has started to look like something that belongs to a parallel universe and therefore it is (kind of) insulting towards anyone who simply asks for any kind of tangible proof that he's the man to take us forward. A few years ago it was Henry who gave Guardiola a similar PR opportunity to express his ideas at a time when he wasn't doing very well and he was still adjusting to the English game. It was hugs and smiles too but when the discussion came to the actual performances, Pep was rather nervous and angry not with the British press but with himself. And he didn't say that it's a process or a long-term plan. He said that if the performances won't get better, his style of football will have failed in England. This shows more confidence and high standards than smiles and bleating about the past.