Solskjaer's legacy and his future

OLLY ORANGE

I still think he wants what is best. He obviously thinks he can turn it around. Not many agree that he can but he must or he would have been gone.
He would of resigned if he wants whats best. Either Greedy or deluded
The whole situation from board to the manager is that they are both out of its depth.
They could have eased Ole into a other position at the club but with multi millions of outstanding contract is the big stumbling block.
Someone who wants the best for the club would have walked as he has never shown any incline of being able to buy/build a team, run a biggish club or winning a trophy at any other previous clubs.

He will go down as the worst manager in most of our living memories.

If he holds on for a messy sacking and a big payout it will taint his status as a playing legend too. Do the honourable thing and resign.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
His legacy will remain largely in tact (give or take some banter) for people around my age and older who remember the peak of his playing career well but it’ll be highly damaged for younger fans who didn’t… and that’s…. Completely normal.

If Brian Kidd had taken over from Fergie in the late 90s, won nothing in 3 years and overseen a series of humiliating defeats to our biggest rivals Id have been a bit miffed and frustrated if we’d kept him on well beyond his usefulness and was continuously being told to be respectful and supportive by older fans more emotionally attached to him…. Who themselves wouldve likely felt the same if Billy Meredith had taken over from Busby (though they wouldve had a slightly more legitimate grievance, considering he was dead)

In short, nostalgia is always bad. I keep trying to tell people this.

PoTMS

He's left us in a worse state than he found us. Better squad but spent nearly £500m. Progress.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will go down as one of the worst managers we've ever had who brought together a brilliant squad and wasted them horrifically. The way he's handled so many members of the squad is awful too. Lying to them and refusing to use them, persisting with his underperforming favourites. Even if we all know he is shite, at least try changing things rather than persisting every week with the same garbage?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He will go down as the worst manager in most of our living memories.

If he holds on for a messy sacking and a big payout it will taint his status as a playing legend too. Do the honourable thing and resign.
He won't though.
Moyes took champions to 7th and was doing so horribly the board had to step in before he'd even completed 1 full season. That'll forever take a hell of a lot of beating.

Red-17

He's left us in a worse state than he found us. Better squad but spent nearly £500m. Progress.
We have the best squad by far since Fergie retired and I don't think anyone can seriously debate that. Any top manager could walk into this side and have us seriously contending for any trophy (including the UCL if we qualify). The only major hole in the starting 11 is defensive mid. The squad Mourinho left was in a seriously bad state compared to where we are now.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Water Melon

Refusing to leave no matter what is his legacy.
This. "United DNA, passion and desire, football is a simple game", the Istanbul and Villareal games are his legacy. Never left himself, got his compensation and fooked off. Cared about his pay off money rather than the wellbeing of the club, having spent like no manager before him in a 3 year period. Harry Maguire is his captain.

PoTMS

We have the best squad by far since Fergie retired and I don't think anyone can seriously debate that. Any top manager could walk into this side and have us seriously contending for any trophy (including the UCL if we qualify). The only major hole in the starting 11 is defensive mid. The squad Mourinho left was in a seriously bad state compared to where we are now.
Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Mata, Matic and possibly Martial are gone at the end of the season, Van de Beek and Henderson possibly before then. Ronaldo and God knows who else gone the season after. Suddenly, our great squad doesn't look so great anymore and it's another £500m we need to spend.

Stretfordender

99 UCL stoppage time winner and countless other memorable/important goals for united as a player. No, to me and most proper reds he will always be a legend of this club. Glazers and the board do the right thing and end this now what we’re witnessing is cruel to all concerned..

lemmiwink

His legend is that of a super sub. He did well in his first 3 seasons, scoring alot of important goals, but people give him way more status than he actually had at the time.

His legacy as a United manager has little to do with him as a player.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Obvious player legacy.

Zero managerial legacy. He'll be remembered as a joke. "Ole's at the Wheel" will probably get regular airings from rival fans for years to come.

Skills

Snitch
Obvious player legacy.

Zero managerial legacy. He'll be remembered as a joke. "Ole's at the Wheel" will probably get regular airings from rival fans for years to come.
Not sure, if he can even come to Old Trafford in the next few years without hearing a rendition of it from the away corner.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His legacy is that he showed the board how an attachment to the club only works on a caretaker basis. Once the honeymoon period is over, you need someone who understands basic tactics to keep the momentum going.

The board needed to be taught this the hard way over two wasted years.

::sonny::

United U23
Cardiff
Molde

He got the job because recommended, but in his coaching career before United, missed an intermediate step of experience and achievements

It’s like becoming the CEO of Adidas, and the only experience you have is to have managed a little sport store in norway,

I’m also very doubtful about the fact he has got a uefa pro license

Can’t manage a club at any level in my opinion, he should move his career as a pundit like his other friends

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

Signed good players.

Never had a scooby about controlling games or building pressure on teams.

Had zero squad management skills.

Great clubman below average football manager.

Irwin99

As a player it's undisputed: an absolute legend. As a manager... things are very raw at the moment and people are emotional. Forgetting the dire predicament of right now which always felt totally inevitable, his managerial legacy is not completely terrible considering the successive top 4 finishes, especially if you don't look too much at the context of those finishes, but there are still question marks over a fair few of his signings and his style of play was just not very good and technically lacking. As others have said, I wonder how much of this 'rebuild' will last. On the whole it's just not been up to the United standard and there's been zero trophies and near half a billion spent. Overall then it's been a failure but not a complete catastrophe (might be if it continues though).

Ultimately I hope to god this puts to bed all this 'United DNA' stuff. The three biggest managers in the league at the moment (premier league and champions league winning managers) had feck all to do with the history of their respective clubs but are actually making history now by winning trophies and looking forward not back. I wish we could move forward and get a progressive brand of football and manager.

Red-17

Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Mata, Matic and possibly Martial are gone at the end of the season, Van de Beek and Henderson possibly before then. Ronaldo and God knows who else gone the season after. Suddenly, our great squad doesn't look so great anymore and it's another £500m we need to spend.
So?? Squads have player turnover all of the time. Pogba is the only one who is arguably in our best 11. Van de Beek will stay if he actually gets minutes. I don't know why people think you need to have every player on a 4+ year contract and under the age of 30. Literally everyone on that list can be replaced and we will still have the core of our team intact. If we have a bog standard summer of bringing in two or three players like we typically do, that should be more than enough to replace the outgoing players. Don't forget that we also have the likes of Amad, Pellistri, Shoretire, and Hannibal who potentially could take up squad roles too in the next year or two (not all of them but one or two is certainly a possibility).

Reactions: Cheimoon

Red Star One

Oh I can't wait for this revisionist bullshit we're gonna be reading, often serving merely as clickbaits. "Overachieved massively to his skillset and experience" - what the feck is that even supposed to mean, has he overachieved by winning less than any of his predecessors? So if I take a job for which I am completely unqualified, say I do ten days as a surgeon starting tomorrow, several people die on my watch and then comes this guy offering consolation and saying "but hey, you overachieved massively to your skillset and experience"?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’ve enjoyed much of his 3 years at the helm, a real shame it’s ended as sourly as this. He needs to go now but for me he brought a lot of enjoyment post mourinho. Just didn’t have that extra level

He has left the club in a far better state than when he began and that is not a bad legacy

Chairman Steve

Still a good player but a horrific manager. I think his stock outside of Utd has plummeted considerably.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a manager so roundly mocked by everyone as he has been. Watford fans bantering with Oles at the wheel chants, Arsenal and Liverpool fans doing it tonight.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It depends largely on what happens next imo. If we go on to do good things he’ll be given some of the credit for getting this group together.

Real Name

Steadied the ship, was 3rd and 2nd, European final, he's leaving a good team to the next manager, in any case better then the one he took. Had some memorable moments and games too and brought back fun to watching United again.
It all went downhill and it didn't work but it wasn't all a disaster, on the contrary.

AFC NimbleThumb

Half a f*cking billion....and he made us worse. Incredible.
Came to say similar. For half a billion I can’t say he did anything particularly well. He’s underachieved given the resources. He failed in the transfer market as much as he did on the pitch.

The Bloody-Nine

Came to say similar. For half a billion I can’t say he did anything particularly well. He’s underachieved given the resources. He failed in the transfer market as much as he did on the pitch.
He wasn't Jose and the players smiled. The whole thing is laughable.

Red Star One

It depends largely on what happens next imo. If we go on to do good things he’ll be given some of the credit for getting this group together.
I can't recall a single case where a former manager, who'd finish his tenure in the most disgusting manner, would get a credit for achievements of his successor. Had Ole triumphed, how many here would be ready to credit Mourinho?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I never thought of him as a legend, really. But a scorer of some legendary goals. I'll start thinking a lot more fondly of him again though when he's no longer our manager.

Mainoldo

Steadied the ship. Looked like a Shipwreck today.

Worst appointment in history.

Skills

Snitch
I can't recall a single case where a former manager, who'd finish his tenure in the most disgusting manner, would get a credit for achievements of his successor. Had Ole triumphed, how many here would be ready to credit Mourinho?
Yeah, does Lampard get any credit for Tuchel winning them the CL? :confused:

I mean, if he hadn't negotiated his way through the transfer ban season and losing Hazard they don't even make the Champions League itself.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Mourinho left the squad in shambles. Yes we are a shambles tactically but we have a great set of players to work with with a coach who actually knows what they’re doing.