Solskjaer's legacy and his future

stevoc

We got 2nd because of Liverpool's injuries and Chelsea only getting Tuchel in midseason, they were clearly better than us by the end of the season. And empty stadiums helped us.
So if Liverpool or Chelsea come 2nd this season will it be because of United having a bad start to the season, having a fair few injury problems and only getting a new manager mid-season? Or does that only work for United?

Did the empty stadiums help any other teams? Or was it only Solskjaer and United who benefitted?

Idxomer

So if Liverpool or Chelsea come 2nd this season will it be because of United having a bad start to the season, having a fair few injury problems and only getting a new manager mid-season? Or does that only work for United?

Did the empty stadiums help any other teams? Or was it only Solskjaer and United who benefitted?
Will they get 2nd with only 74 points while having 2 mini collapses with many poor performances on the way to this great achievement?

The lack of pressure and intensity without fans helped United more than others, it's the environment Ole liked and suited him more.

Denis Irwinning

50 mil worth defensive fb who can't play in attacking system and 80mil worth captain who is in reality 3rd best defender in club, are his biggest legacy to new coach.
We got 2nd because of Liverpool's injuries and Chelsea only getting Tuchel in midseason, they were clearly better than us by the end of the season. And empty stadiums helped us.
Was everybody not playing without fans or just us?

Tony247

We got 2nd with no tactics apparently, yet the German genius winning 1-0 to Palace thanks to Fred worldie shows how bad Ole is. United fans never fail to surprise me.
There were couple of factors. One was of getting soft penalties early in the seqson that got us good amount of points. The FA had that freak rule of awarding pens even in slightest of doubt had us going. Then Cavani won important points even after entire team bar couple of players playing shite throughout the match. And not to forget Bruno's fantastic form last season.

Some of these things eclipsed Ole‘s managerial shortcomings and created an illusion of progress. He got total exposed this season.

Water Melon

Ole lacked tactical knowledge which is key and core for any head coach/manager. Moyes - hopeless, Louis - glorius in his prime but outdated and hilarious. Jose glorious in his prime, but outdated and one trick toxic pony. Ole - clueless but politically correct, talked the talk, but severely lacked knowledge and desire to walk the walk.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The lack of system was always the problem for Ole. After Bruno joined, he was carried solely by his moments of magic and consistent attacking output. Before Bruno we were playing like a mid-table side and after Bruno joined, we were playing like a mid-table side that had a player who could create something out of nothing.
Southampton of Le Tissier days?

Crashoutcassius

1. Varane
2. Lindelof
3. Bailly
4. Maguire
For me, the ability to play in a high line is very important to a high press system and Maguire does not sooth that.
it isn't particularly important if your press is aggressive enough. RRs press has been accused of being too passive in the past, and having the high line caught out. but a good press let mats hummels become one of the best CBs in the world, a very similar player to maguire. its fair enough to say it is a weakness, but shouldn't be an absolute requirement in a good press

Greck

No need to downplay a victory where we actually had a clue in possession just because it was a narrow one. That lack of appreciation for the details on the pitch is why we ended up 8th, with no manager and 3 years wasted to some fantasy project.

stevoc

Will they get 2nd with only 74 points while having 2 mini collapses with many poor performances on the way to this great achievement?
Maybe I can't predict the future, do you think finishing 2nd is a great achievement?

The lack of pressure and intensity without fans helped United more than others, it's the environment Ole liked and suited him more.
How so? How did the lack of fans benefit United players more than the players of other teams?

By this logic surely City benefitted even more from the lack of fans yes?

Dion

No need to downplay a victory where we actually had a clue in possession just because it was a narrow one. That lack of appreciation for the details on the pitch is why we ended up 8th, with no manager and 3 years wasted to some fantasy project.
That was comfortably the weakest aspect of today, in fact when we stopped pressing we were extremely wasteful and disjointed with the ball.

stevoc

There were couple of factors. One was of getting soft penalties early in the seqson that got us good amount of points. The FA had that freak rule of awarding pens even in slightest of doubt had us going. Then Cavani won important points even after entire team bar couple of players playing shite throughout the match. And not to forget Bruno's fantastic form last season.

Some of these things eclipsed Ole‘s managerial shortcomings and created an illusion of progress. He got total exposed this season.
So United benefitted from an FA rule that didn't benefit other teams as much.

One of our players scored goals that gained important points.

And our best player was in fantastic form?

Anything else?

Fts 74

Hes not the manager anymore, why do people feel the need to constantly bash him?

He wasn't good enough to take us further and I like most am happy about that, I'm excited to see how we progress under RR and it was much better today, but to constantly look to find a stick to beat ole with is ridiculous.

Just be glad he's no longer our manager and look forwards not backwards.

Marwood

His legacy as a manager is looking worse after today.
One training session under Ralf and already you can see something exciting potentially. Solskjaer’s legacy will involve people wondering what the hell they did in training.
You guys remember Ole's first game right? It made today look pedestrian.

I'm sure we'll get a lot from Rangnick but it's one game.

Greck

That was comfortably the weakest aspect of today, in fact when we stopped pressing we were extremely wasteful and disjointed with the ball.
Disagree, I only caught the second half and thought we were more organised than any point in the last 3 years. To make matters better I heard we were even better in the 1st half specifically the first 30 minutes.

But wait, even if what you say is true, even if we were to take it as fact, then so what? the interim manager didn't transform us to prime Barca after a 45 minute training session? Should we open a sack thread?

Luckily none of that is true and we played very well. I hope downplaying of progress on the pitch doesn't become a thing just to absolve the last manager. He's gone and we need to improve.

Dion

But wait, even if what you say is true, even if we were to take it as fact, then so what? the interim manager didn't transform us to prime Barca after a 45 minute training session? Should we open a sack thread?
This is such a disingenuous straw man. Genuinely dreadful.

I could point to games like Newcastle or Spurs last season where we were clearly better on the ball, our dismantling of Leipzig etc. but a scrappy 1-0 win was the most organised we've looked in 3 years?

I can see why you've gone straight for the above.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
No we don't, we have plenty of evidence to prove his isn't already.
Oh come off it. No one looks back at Jose's 2nd season as impressive either. It's forgotten and so will Ole's absolutely pointless 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Dion

You say we were poor in possession. Were you expecting a nuanced response to a blatantly false premise?
Me disagreeing with you isn't a "blatantly false premise", you are free to disagree with it if you like, but we generated 3 shots on target at home against Crystal Palace. There's clearly a case to be made that we were poor in possession.

What you did was take that argument and make a ridiculous extrapolation. It's pathetic.

Dion

Oh come off it. No one looks back at Jose's 2nd season as impressive either. It's forgotten and so will Ole's absolutely pointless 2nd and 3rd place finishes.
I don't think Mourinho managed us incompetently in that second season. I don't know where you think I called it impressive, can you link it to me please?

Idxomer

Maybe I can't predict the future, do you think finishing 2nd is a great achievement?
Then why do you think people won't downplay it if they get 2nd that way? It's neither an achievement nor proof that a manager is competent, we had another one who got 2nd with even more points three years ago and he was also incompetent.

How so? How did the lack of fans benefit United players more than the players of other teams?

By this logic surely City benefitted even more from the lack of fans yes?
No, we have seen City performing well in all situations. They benefited though from the lack of any real contenders last season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You guys remember Ole's first game right? It made today look pedestrian.

I'm sure we'll get a lot from Rangnick but it's one game.
Because Ole inherited team which was coached (more or less). Ragnick inherited team which was not coached at all.
Ole got from Jose broken team regarding morale. But that team under Jose worked on tactics and fitness. Same was with LVG's team which Jose inherited. Lvg's team was coached.

David de Gea said few weeks ago that we don't know what to with the ball in attack ffs. Our stats show that we are awful in running. That we are awful in defence. That we are absolutely awful at set pieces in defence and attack (we scored zero goals this season).

Legacy....

Greck

Me disagreeing with you isn't a "blatantly false premise", you are free to disagree with it if you like, but we generated 3 shots on target at home against Crystal Palace. There's clearly a case to be made that we were poor in possession.

What you did was take that argument and make a ridiculous extrapolation. It's pathetic.
What's pathetic is using shots on target to discredit the blatant improvement in our possession play. Also what was the point of even bringing up poor possession play? Go ahead , let's hear it. We're waiting.

Kopral Jono

Hes not the manager anymore, why do people feel the need to constantly bash him?

He wasn't good enough to take us further and I like most am happy about that, I'm excited to see how we progress under RR and it was much better today, but to constantly look to find a stick to beat ole with is ridiculous.

Just be glad he's no longer our manager and look forwards not backwards.
Why? Because people love to be proven right about something and an internet forum like this is a place where you smugly tell the world how right you were all along. These things come across as petty most of the time, sure, but I too do it for ego-feeding purposes. It's human nature and I don't want to be a hypocrite about this.

Dion

Because Ole inherited team which was coached (more or less). Ragnick inherited team which was not coached at all.
Ole got from Jose broken team regarding morale. But that team under Jose worked on tactics and fitness. Same was with LVG's team which Jose inherited. Lvg's team was coached.

David de Gea said few weeks ago that we don't know what to with the ball in attack ffs. Our stats show that we are awful in running. That we are awful in defence. That we are absolutely awful at set pieces in defence and attack (we scored zero goals this season).

Legacy....
I would suggest going back and reading the threads from the end of Mourinho's reign. This was not the prevailing view, in fact the two biggest criticisms of him where that we didn't have any stamina because we sat back in a block and Mourinho couldn't coach them to be more ambitious.

Dion

What's pathetic is using shots on target to discredit the blatant improvement in our possession play. Also what was the point of even bringing up poor possession play? Go ahead , let's hear it. We're waiting.
Because we are discussing todays performance on a Man Utd forum.

And you can disagree with using it, but for a man who watched half the match only and resorted to hilarious levels of aggression when challenged you've not done much to substantiate your point.

Marwood

Legacy....
That's just way off. We were awful in every way at the end of Mourinho. Mental gymnastics to give Ole zero credit.

Anyway point being one game under the new manager means very little about the previous.

Greck

Because we are discussing todays performance on a Man Utd forum.

And you can disagree with using it, but for a man who watched half the match only and resorted to hilarious levels of aggression when challenged you've not done much to substantiate your point.
"Discussing today's performance". Sure that's all you did. We totally didn't see you make an attempt at downplaying the result and Rangnick's performances to defend Ole's setup.

Max_United

It's impossible really to answer because whether on not you think we are now better or worse off for having had three years of Ole depends on what the club might have done instead.

I think one thing people do forget really quickly is just how poor our squad was when Ole took over. Plus, under Ole we finished 3rd and then 2nd. It might not have been pretty at times and there were bad times along the way, but I'm not sure even Pep or Klopp could have achieved higher league finishes with our squad.

Having said all that, I was surprised at quite how poorly coached we looked this year. It was Sunday League stuff. That worries me, because maybe we have wasted a year that we could have used to be coaching an actual style into our players. I suppose it depends how quickly Ralf can get his ideas into the players.
This has been done to death, but some people do also forget quickly the context behind 3rd and 2nd finishes and cite only the final position, so the impression is created that we had 2 comfortable top-4 finishes in a row, which we did not:

1. In 2019/2020 we were out of top-4 for 90% of the time and were often literally midtable before Bruno. We only scrambled to 3rd place in the last matches due to Leicester collapse - and were tied on points with Chelsea who were 4th. We finished on 66 points, which rarely is enough for top-4: over the last 10 seasons it was barely enough only in 2015/2016 where City overtook us for top-4 on GD with both of us finishing at 66 points. Expected points showed that we underperformed a bit (had 71 expected points), but Chelsea underperformed them more, so we were 4th in expected points table.

2. 2020/2021 looked more like a comfortable top-4 finish, but again - as posters above detailed, it was also papering over cracks. Even the improved point tally (74) would on average over last 10 season make you 4th, plus actually we had only 66 expected points (and 4th on expected position) - suggesting that we might have indeed been lucky and declined rather than improved from the 19/20 season with its expected points of 71.

So basically under Ole we performed barely good enough for top-4 with no real progress from first season to second if one looks at least a bit beyond headline league finishes and points. And that was with an improving squad. It is no coincidence that the thread "we are a poorly coached team" was created long ago. And I follow quite a lot of football data/analytics/tactics podcasts -I do not consider myself very knowledgeable in this topics - but I was struck how the opinions in them contrasted with the mood here in the summer. The vast majority (especially those who are not United fans) thought that Ole was far from being good enough at this level, found our persistence with him baffling, thought that we are still chasing big names without a proper transfer strategy, squad balance or idea how to fit them and play a defined style of football - and as a result expected us to be a distant 4th at best.

The magnitude of the crash this season was impossible to predict, as it is a confluence of several factors and a chain reaction basically - (1) expectations increased due to 2nd place and a strong on paper transfer window, (2) Ole did not prepare/did not know how to integrate the new signings (3) results caught up with our performances (4) Ole panicked and started frantically changing the approach to games, (5) players were not prepared for it, and became unhappy and confused and lost belief in his managerial abilities.

Dion

"Discussing today's performance". Sure that's all you did. We totally didn't see you make an attempt at downplaying the result and Rangnick's performances to defend Ole's setup.
I disagreed with your analysis of the performance to recontextualise the comparison. I'm allowed to do that, just as you're allowed to "overplay the result and Rangnick's performance to undermine Ole's setup".

it's a discussion. If you don't like it then stop.

MoskvaRed

We should probably stop pissing on Ole’s grave (myself included) but those of us who did express reservations about a sacked Championship manager’s suitability for one of the most demanding jobs in world football did have to put up with years of of patronising posts explaining the equivalent of why the earth is flat, often accompanied by insults about being knee jerk and plastic.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I dont rate his management but I'm just curious, I have a question

When he came in and did so well, people said it was Joses tactics and Oles man management.

Can we say the same now for Rangnik? Can we classify it as Oles training, if not why not?

Kopral Jono

We should probably stop pissing on Ole’s grave (myself included) but those of us who did express reservations about a sacked Championship manager’s suitability for one of the most demanding jobs in world football did have to put up with years of of patronising posts explaining the equivalent of why the earth is flat, often accompanied by insults about being knee jerk and plastic.
:lol: